• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How do I add population - but not build more homes?

DeletedUser16336

Help!!! I needed to make space in my city, so I sold 4 premium homes. Is there any way to add population without building more homes?

CanDaMan

You have to upgrade them farther. Later on you can get culture items that include population, however if you ever want to sell them, you will lose that population and can go into negative territory. Take a look in the building menu (lower center left) under culture, and click ahead to look at up coming buildings.

DeletedUser16336

Help!!! I needed to make space in my city, so I sold 4 premium homes. Is there any way to add population without building more homes?
Sorry, I figured it out - just upgrade the houses I already have. Sorry to be an ignoramus.

DeletedUser3507

You could have upgraded the premium ones, I have no regular residences or workshops.. The difference is huge once you get up to chapter 12. 1 Magic residence is 4900 pop and hold about 1/2m gold per residence. And Magic workshops far out perform a regular one. a 24 hr production is 58,800 with spell 190k+

DeletedUser8187

Kinda in the same thread line. I'm in Fairies-3 tech's away from the orc chest. I have 31 residences at level 19. I'm down to 177 pop to work with. So I'm anticipating a slow down in my city improvements. I'm no longer rushing through the tech. tree. So it could be awhile before I reach the next residence tech. upgrade. Sorry I digress. How many residences do most people have in the higher chapters, will I be able to get rid of a few residences. 31 seems a bit much to me especially when they increase in size. I prefer not to rely on event buildings for the pop, as they are tricky to switch out for new buildings, (to much math for me).

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I think orc residences are the same size as elf residences. (please check the wiki as I'm on my phone) so you might not need more space.

Edit: I got that wrong It's orc and wood elf that don't change size

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I prefer not to rely on event buildings for the pop, as they are tricky to switch out for new buildings, (to much math for me).
I'm midway through Woodelves now. I had made the mistake of being too dependent on those pop/culture hybrids so ended up with more houses than I'd like once I got rid of those. I've upgraded most through max Woodelves level and my plans have 35 starting S&D. By the end of S&D my plans are for 30 & that should give me a good cushion of available pop. I may reduce them further, it just depends on how far I upgrade factories and WS (I'm not big on everything upgraded to max level asap; I upgrade as I need to produce more, or to reduce the # of production bldgs while maintaining production levels). I've got some pop/culture hybrids from events in my inventory, but very hesitant to place any. At this point, I need culture/mana bldgs anyway.
27 @ lvl. 23 I'm in the middle of S&D, and I have 3237 available population.
This is good to know! It's very close to my target of 30, and it looks like they're still at max Woodelves level. As I begin to rearrange for the size/orientation change in S&D, this gives me hope to reduce them to 25-27, yay!

CanDaMan

I have space issues, but that is part of the game. I'm minimalistic in my game-play, when I start a new chapter, it is with 'very easy' battles, and only do easy's to get the next expansion. Yeah, I tried to wean myself off of the culture/population trap, still have some though.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I have the Mt Halls and Golden Abyss and they do help with pop. GA is lvl 6 and I'm working on lvl 5 for the MtHalls now. I'm also obsessive about not scouting more than the number of provinces to open the next chest, too. With all the provinces scouted (but not yet complete) for the S&D chest, the remainder of my provinces (14) are very easy, with *I think* 2 that are easy. I'll get one province expansion from that and still have 2 city expansion techs to complete, so shouldn't need to do any more until after Advanced Scouts is activated. For me tournaments are more expensive (but still doable), since I didn't start skipping the optional SS upgrades until Dwarves, but map provinces are 100% cleared with fighting and very few troop losses; even see a few of those zero loss fights there.

CanDaMan

Seeing that I have a little extra population, maybe I will sell a few of the trap pieces to open up space, being that MH gives me the population back over time. Perhaps at the end of S&D, when I shuffle the deck!

DeletedUser8187

I have the G. Abyss, my Mountain hall is only level 2 so it has a ways to go. I'm hopeful I'll be able to scale back my residence' as I go along.

kctanzen

I *love* my Golden Abyss -- and the rewards scale up as your Main Hall / working population grows .. even if you don't level the wonder itself.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
An often overlooked option is to actually delete something, likely a factory that you don't need.Factories chew up massive amounts of popultion, especially T3 ones. A good hard look each chapter to ensure they are all still needed is very handy.

How many residences do most people have in the higher chapters, will I be able to get rid of a few residences.

There really is no rule on residence numbers. By late chapters lots of variables come into play but at the end of the day residences should just be a function of the other things in your town. Get your get your factories, workshops and armouries at the right amounts for you and use the residences to allow it to happen.

Residences generally get better per square each chapter so it is common to downsize in numbers, particularly going into Orcs where the size jumps up a bit.

DeletedUser8187

I have 6-tier1, 3 tier 2 and 2 tier 3 manufacturing buildings. I can't get rid of any as my F/S is low on members with those goods. It takes at least a week to replace goods when I do as many provinces as I can in the tourney. I got carried away on my map, so all my provinces are hard/very hard. Tourney' are my current source of KP's.