• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Rebalancing of select (old) event buildings

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Even being in beta and knowing this was coming, I am afraid to log into my main city today, as it will probably ruin my whole day. I love how they nerf all the buildings weeks (or months) before they put out the spell that is the reason for the nerf.
Now most of us will have to delete the older event buildings and replace them with regular residences and culture (just to get out of the negatives), so they will be gone, with no way to upgrade them now or later because they will be deleted and that is the whole purpose of the nerf. LMAO.
When other games mess up or change things to the game that will negatively impact the players they will send a care package of some sort to help players to recoup and feel they are important to them. This game has never done that. For how much damage the nerfs could do (and have done) to a lot of cities, it would have been smarter to have both the nerf and the spell to come out at the same time, I think they should have tried harder to time this better, but this is INNO we are talking about!

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Not sure the relevance, as if a huge amount of folks have only found out in the last 24 hours....even if a post was in April the comments are from the last 24 hours 17th May 2018, just incase of confusement.

The relevance is that to complain about not having the knowledge that it was coming because of not being on the Beta Forum is a completely moot point. The information that this was coming has been on this forum pinned to the top since April 26. There is also a link to the Beta Forum that anybody here could have clicked on. If you don't follow the forum then how would you know what is common knowledge here that it is coming?

Last edited:

DeletedUser9601

For those of us who dont play beta, what was we suppose to prepare....and would it not have been fair to tell the folks that dont play on beta so that they could prepare...whatever the preparation was???
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/news-from-beta-may-contain-spoilers.16075/
Its pinned at the top of the general forums.

The complaints are understandable if someone has never played an online, in-development game. But Inno constantly needs to tweak and adjust the game so that things work going forward. In prior events, they gave out buildings that were too powerful. Can't be denied.

Lots of people took advantage, and had an easier time in the game for the past 12+ months. They should be happy about that. Its unfortunate that some people will have a struggle adjusting to the change, but in the long run, it benefits the entire player base to have event buildings upgradeable.

Anyone posting about fraud, or being cheated, or Inno robbing them needs to get a life, and get some perspective.

Suki14

I wasn't affected much because I've never heavily relied on event buildings. But I can understand folks being upset because it was too sudden. If they had made this announcement a couple months ago and told people to prepare, to make buildings to compensate (or whatever!), then we wouldn't be seeing people with several thousand less population or culture. And if we were, they could only blame themselves for not preparing.

I've always made a point to inform my FS of what's coming down the pike, but I don't play on beta and haven't seen this coming. The announcement wasn't even released in the game announcements. I got notified by email because I have that setting for the forums. I notified my FS literally minutes after receiving that email, which was less than 24 hours before they implemented it.

Inno, while I understand these changes for balancing are needed (I always questioned the huge differences in events), and it's the best way going forward, what I don't understand is why you sprung this so suddenly when people had a lot at stake. You knew people would get upset (as with any change), but this was foolish planning that could have avoided a larger backlash.

I'm glad event buildings will be upgradable - unfortunately I deleted the lower chapter rewards months ago because they became useless. Now I'm missing buildings I can't even upgrade.
Totally agree with you Deawyne, I too am arch over many fellowships and always advise them of any changes I know about or see on messages etc., but not being a beta player I did not know, and certainly did not know anything about the ability to 'prepare' which again I would have passed on the info to the fellowships. Well said Deawyne.

DeletedUser9601

When other games mess up or change things to the game that will negatively impact the players they will send a care package of some sort to help players to recoup and feel they are important to them. This game has never done that.

From the official post:
"To compensate for any lost population and culture with this update, we will be offering this spell for free to everyone once, as soon as it's added to the game with a later update. This will still take a bit of time, and won't come in time for us to give it at the same time as we perform the necessary rebalancing. However, we couldn't wait longer with rebalancing the buildings in preparation for these big changes to come."

Suki14

https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/news-from-beta-may-contain-spoilers.16075/
Its pinned at the top of the general forums.

The complaints are understandable if someone has never played an online, in-development game. But Inno constantly needs to tweak and adjust the game so that things work going forward. In prior events, they gave out buildings that were too powerful. Can't be denied.

Lots of people took advantage, and had an easier time in the game for the past 12+ months. They should be happy about that. Its unfortunate that some people will have a struggle adjusting to the change, but in the long run, it benefits the entire player base to have event buildings upgradeable.

Anyone posting about fraud, or being cheated, or Inno robbing them needs to get a life, and get some perspective.
Tedious, maybe its because some folks do have a life that they don't spend their time on beta etc. Huge amounts of people have been affected, so, therefore, it must mean that huge amounts of people don't use beta or possibly even know what beta is. Now if you are suggesting that these people should not be playing because they don't know about the almighty beta, then I am sure that the makers would lose much money if these folks left. It was badly planned and not well advertised outside of anyone who is savvy with the beta world. These words may make me look stupid in the eyes of expert gamers but I am sure the makers enjoy much money out of the hands of folks just like me who don't understand beta.

juniperknome

that last upgrade made fluff out of my candy cane trees but oh well i need a good excuse to get rid of them anyway 8 hours will start on willows

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
LOL! Unbelievable how many times it has been said that this has been in the conversation pinned to the top of THIS forum since April. I guess it is like a dog with a bone syndrome even when proven wrong :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

persona1

Even if it does not qualify technically, to me this change constitutes fraud. I invested real money during events to earn specific rewards, and built my city based around those rewards and now you are changing those rewards. AND have given me no way to recoup the losses I have incurred due to those changes. Except MAYBE at some point in the future if I spend MORE money I can get back to where I was.

Hey spend money and you can get this awesome thing!
Great! Thanks for spending the money here's the thing
Um, now we are giving you this lesser thing instead of what we promised you
Don't like it? well just give us more money and maybe we will give you what we promised you
Until later on when we can just take it away again

I agree totally and i for 1 will be quitting all 7 worlds i play if my balance of population is not restored to what it was before i also paid good money into this game for you to break contract on what i purchased with my diamonds most of my worlds are so badly effected theirs no point in going any further plus i will share this on my media sites as i have many 100's of gaming friends

DeletedUser9601

I didn't say anything you ascribed to me. I'm pointing out that you and many others said they had no idea of an upcoming change. And I'm pointing out that it was posted on the Live forums (the very sub-forum you are now posting on.

I get that some people only play infrequently. And that's fine. But you can't have it both ways. If you don't want any surprises, then read 3rd party sites (GamersGems, PlatinumLeaf, etc) and hear news before its live. If you have too much of a "life" for that, then why are you even upset in the first place?

It was badly planned and not well advertised outside of anyone who is savvy with the beta world.

Agree to disagree, but I respect your opinion.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
These words may make me look stupid in the eyes of expert gamers but I am sure the makers enjoy much money out of the hands of folks just like me who don't understand beta.

Your words, not mine! They pinned a conversation to the top of this forum. That means that you NEVER had to go to the Beta forum to know. All you had to do is read within the forum for the Live version of the game YOU are playing. That does not take "an expert gamer" since you are here now repeating untruths. It makes no sense to blame Inno and other players for something you did not bother to do to keep up on the game!! :mad:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I'm mostly on board with you, Tedious, but we get, from Inno, some of the poorest communications I've ever experienced. This is a significant change, that they had to have known would have a debilitating effect on some players, but the only way to know about it is to look in a generically named spoiler thread and they know that the vast majority of players have never been to the forums and further that there are plenty who don't like spoilers. There really is no excuse for that. They should 100% have put an in-game notice up at least a month ago that there would be a required rebalancing of older buildings and people should check a specific spot for more details in order to be prepared. I've spent most of my available play time for the last few weeks building extra population and still couldn't overcome the entire deficit.

As far as planning goes. They didn't give us anything to plan with. If it wasn't for Elvenarchitect, virtually no-one would have known exactly what the planned changes were, because the team never actually identified them to us.

Setting aside those particular flaws, a lead forum manager came online and said they were doings some reconsideration of the changes. A lot of people would then have pinned some hope on them not being as bad as it looked on first examination. The final result, that we will get some nebulous upgrade freebies at some unknown point in the nebulous future does not actually allow for any planning at all. Maybe I'll get 1*my chapter level divided by the cube root of the high temperature in Berlin on June 21 1886.....

This is simply another in a long line of poorly executed changes that further damages my opinion of the development team.

DeletedUser12323

Players are leaving the game based on the rebalancing.

While we understand the need to rebalance, timing and implementation were poorly planned.

Whoever planned this understands neither the game, nor human behavior.

Players have gone negative on population (our Archmage went down by 2,000). This locks them out of building/upgrading. Most higher level players have cities where every square is packed. They are now stuck, and cannot see a way to fix the negative population. Why did the designers not see this? Once a player stops having fun, they stop playing. Once they stop, they find a different game, and don't come back. Our Archmage is in the top 200 in K world, and just announced she is quitting the game.

Fix this quick before it becomes a cascading failure of the game!

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
From the official post:
"To compensate for any lost population and culture with this update, we will be offering this spell for free to everyone once, as soon as it's added to the game with a later update. This will still take a bit of time, and won't come in time for us to give it at the same time as we perform the necessary rebalancing. However, we couldn't wait longer with rebalancing the buildings in preparation for these big changes to come."
I beg to differ, there is no reason they had to nerf the buildings without the spell, they give no reason why they had to do this now, when there is no spell in sight. they could have tested the nerf on beta and then gave the spell on beta to test, then brought it all out on live at the same time, they don't even have a date that the spells will be released and it isn't out on beta yet. I don't think we will see it for months, so why the hurry to nerf everything.

DeletedUser9601

This is simply another in a long line of poorly executed changes that further damages my opinion of the development team.
Agreed 100%. But I just can't stand the rhetoric, of people up in arms, threatening to quit, they've been robbed, etc. etc. The change is a minor inconvenience for most: build another residence, and probably delete some useful, but not critical, building to make the space for it. Some people will go from 150% boost to 125%. Some people will have their progress stalled for a week while they build up a residence to max-level.

The problem (poor communication) and the root of the problem (overpowered old event buildings like Winter Star, Glossy Garden and a few of the Trees) were both of Inno's making. So yes, it's 100% their fault. But the game gets developed over time, and its not reasonable for a player of the game to expect no backwards-looking changes to fix those mistakes.

I get that for some people this is the straw that broke the camel's back. If an uninformed player in your shoes, with a 8+ Glossy Gardens, logged on this morning to change, I could see wanting to quit. But for most players (myself included), this just isn't that game-breaking of a change.

DeletedUser9908

This kind of major change is what in-game notifications are for. I come to the forums only when there is a problem, or when something in the game announcement catches my interest to come read. I shouldn't have to spend extra time on the forums to be advised of major changes in a game I already spend time playing daily. These posts showing know-it-all attitudes are the reason many people don't come to the forums. Why subject yourself to rude people just to play a game? Inno was wrong in their implementation, their communication, and their timing of compensation.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Ashrem At least I can agree with most of your take on this :) I did check to see if we got a spell :rolleyes: Darn! Still not as insanely bad as it is being made out to be. Who hasn't been there done that having to sell off old culture to replace with more efficient or at least higher culture to balance their game as they progressed? I haven't always been happy about that but it is definitely part of the game challenge. Sadly it is hitting a whole lot of players all at once :(

Suki14

Your words, not mine! They pinned a conversation to the top of this forum. That means that you NEVER had to go to the Beta forum to know. All you had to do is read within the forum for the Live version of the game YOU are playing. That does not take "an expert gamer" since you are here now repeating untruths. It makes no sense to blame Inno and other players for something you did not bother to do to keep up on the game!! :mad:
I think if you look, you will see that I don't post on here as a regular, which also means that I am not a regular viewer of said site. Also, the way that I appear to be shouted at on here for having an opinion that a huge amount of people have at the moment is not helpful, as I have not shouted at anyone here. Maybe because I am not a regular poster or visitor to this site, I am an outsider, for this I am happy to be, as if when folks who don't understand all the complexes come onto this site because they are told people are kind and helpful, but then find that as an outsider you can just get shouted at ... makes me wonder about whether this is the place to come. I also recognize your loyalty to the makers, but my loyalty goes to the fellowships I am archmage over, and my willingness to find some help has unfortunately only found me abuse.

Suki14

This kind of major change is what in-game notifications are for. I come to the forums only when there is a problem, or when something in the game announcement catches my interest to come read. I shouldn't have to spend extra time on the forums to be advised of major changes in a game I already spend time playing daily. These posts showing know-it-all attitudes are the reason many people don't come to the forums. Why subject yourself to rude people just to play a game? Inno was wrong in their implementation, their communication, and their timing of compensation.
Well said irishrrl.