• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fixing Commands - /Who /Whisper

• Thread starter DeletedUser6127
  • Start date

DeletedUser6127

Hi-

Can someone fix /who and /whisper? Soon.

These basic functions let members, ambassadors, mages, and archmages communicate effectively in game. I cannot imagine that these being deactivated was a purposeful choice as it makes the game less playable. The members of my fellowship would like these functions repaired as soon as possible. We'd prefer not to be blown off with "Those were never intended functions for the players" responses - those responses aren't helpful and don't take into consideration several years of players using these commands. The /who and /whisper commands are useful ones that don't present any cheat or hack of the game. Please fix the issue. Members of my guild don't mind buying diamonds and supporting the game - in some cases, we have done it to the tune of several hundred dollars. We expect gameplay to be improved over time as opposed to making it less playable.

Some might ask why are these important functions:
1) /Who allows players to see if they are chatting into empty air or if the other players are actually online
2) /Whisper allowed players to have some non-public communication - especially important if the people running the fellowship are wishing to speak discreetly.
3) Why change basic functions of the game that people have enjoyed for a long period of time with no explanation or discussion with the larger gaming community?

Thanks,
Voronwe, Arendyll, Midgard Fellowship

DeletedUser16509

Hi-

Can someone fix /who and /whisper? Soon.

These basic functions let members, ambassadors, mages, and archmages communicate effectively in game. I cannot imagine that these being deactivated was a purposeful choice as it makes the game less playable. The members of my fellowship would like these functions repaired as soon as possible. We'd prefer not to be blown off with "Those were never intended functions for the players" responses - those responses aren't helpful and don't take into consideration several years of players using these commands. The /who and /whisper commands are useful ones that don't present any cheat or hack of the game. Please fix the issue. Members of my guild don't mind buying diamonds and supporting the game - in some cases, we have done it to the tune of several hundred dollars. We expect gameplay to be improved over time as opposed to making it less playable.

Some might ask why are these important functions:
1) /Who allows players to see if they are chatting into empty air or if the other players are actually online
2) /Whisper allowed players to have some non-public communication - especially important if the people running the fellowship are wishing to speak discreetly.
3) Why change basic functions of the game that people have enjoyed for a long period of time with no explanation or discussion with the larger gaming community?

Thanks,
Voronwe, Arendyll, Midgard Fellowship
im new to the game I play in 3 realms and I am like a lot of players fix it like everybody says its nice to know if someone else is online when you type something in the chat box

shynner

We have had a couple of members, at the very least, in our FS that has submitted tickets concerning their dissatisfaction with the apparent inability to access the /who feature. One of the responses that was given as a reply to the submitted ticket was that the developers did not intend the chat feature to be a monitoring system, and that it was meant merely as a means of communication..

What they are not taking into consideration is that knowing who you can communicate with is as important as communicating.

Only someone with very "thin skin" would be offended by checking to see who was showing in game, posting a chat directly to a person showing in game,and not receiving a reply. I agree that some people may simply not want to chat and respect their choice, and that there are also times that they are just afk. However, anyone that has been in a fellowship for any length of time, generally knows their fellowship mates preferences. Yes, just by watching mail, and seeing notifications give a vague idea of who is on, but here is a better sense of camaraderie when knowing who is actually showing in game and a better chance of group chat. This "name? are you here?" is getting old.. fast. *sigh*

kakorot9000

well plus you gotta also realize taking these functions out screws up everything, as you end up talking to thin air, cant see any help and if your in the app version you cant actually see private messages like in the browser whether it be a fellowship message or a random person, so having /whisper can at least allow you to private message a person but since you cant see whos online you cant whisper the person either so its bad to worse, this is another stupid decision (if made on purpose) and needs to be rectified immediately as this is just getting unfair to the players now

shynner

I equate the ability to use the /who function to the ability to see who is in a room of people at a gathering. If you don't see a certain individual in the room, you won't have any reason to begin a conversation with them. Not having that function is hindering communication and socializing as well.

Last edited:

kakorot9000

I equate the ability to use the /who function to the ability to see who is in a room of people at a gathering. If you don't see a certain individual in the room, you won't have any reason to begin a conversation with them. Not having that function is hindering communication and socializing as well.
yeah you just sit there talking to thin air and look like a crazy person otherwise. but seems like everytime inno takes 2 steps forward they take 1 giant leap backwards.... youd think they would do everything they can to make us the players happy to keep us around not give us reasons to hate the game :(

shynner

Even this forum shows who is on right now. If the developers thought it was important enough to add "online now" to this means of communicating, why in the world would they delete it from the game itself? It just simply doesn't make sense to me... unless, of course, they can't quite figure out how to fix all of the many issues they had with chat, and are not willing to exert the effort to fix the now missing functions in the game itself. I suggest they find someone who can handle the task of fixing chat properly without taking the drastic measures they have by removing a well used, and viable part of in-game communication.

DeletedUser51

I answered this in another thread but I will here as well.

We (meaning pretty much all CM's from all Elvenar servers) have forwarded the suggestion to add the 'who' and 'whisper' functions back to chat, although in all honestly they were never intentionally there.

The 'whisper' function will be the easiest to add back should they decide to support it, but I believe that the 'who' function will first require the ability for a player to 'opt out' of being visible for privacy reasons, just as a player can choose not to be seen on the forum.

kakorot9000

I answered this in another thread but I will here as well.

We (meaning pretty much all CM's from all Elvenar servers) have forwarded the suggestion to add the 'who' and 'whisper' functions back to chat, although in all honestly they were never intentionally there.

The 'whisper' function will be the easiest to add back should they decide to support it, but I believe that the 'who' function will first require the ability for a player to 'opt out' of being visible for privacy reasons, just as a player can choose not to be seen on the forum.

that is perfect tbh my suggestion about having a function like most games where you has a dot next to your name etc green here orange away and grey/blank as offline which you can choose or will happen automatically, would be simplest solution to this as you can choose appear offline and keep it that way

Lyllia

Since I was never aware of these features then I do not miss them. That also means that I wasn't aware that anyone knew when I was playing or not (except the server). When I play or how often should be private. As long as I uphold my commitment to my FS. I'm not sure I comprehend the concept of the /who. In
the same manner, private conversations are another concept all together. Privacy is important. I personally would have played much less had I known my time/activities were monitored by my FS. Much less honestly.

Any further information as to how this has been addressed would be appreciated

shimmerfly

@lyllia You can change your online status in the forum. Go to your Avatar (bottom right of this screen) and then to the little wheel cog that says preferences Un check the online status one. I appreciate privacy too.

Lyllia

Thank you Shimmerfly. I have now changed my settings. During game play are the mages and arch mages able to use the /who function currently? Can they (any members of my FS) monitor my game play time?

DeletedUser5521

During game play are the mages and arch mages able to use the /who function currently? Can they (any members of my FS) monitor my game play time?
Right now, no. The current word is that if the /who (to see who is online) and /w (to whisper privately to someone) return, they will only come back with the option to choose to be seen as online or to be invisible, like here on the forum. And previously, it wasn't really that your game play time was being monitored, it was just a tool that some used when they were on to see who else was on. All that showed when you typed /who were the names of those logged in at that moment, nothing else :)

shimmerfly

During game play are the mages and arch mages able to use the /who function currently? Can they (any members of my FS) monitor my game play time?

@lyllia Not sure about that ...? I have a FS of one...me, so no need for chat at all. A lot of people frown at this concept of playing but it fits my style .A little more difficult maybe, but I enjoy it. :D

DeletedUser13313

It's killed chat in my ship.. I'm on quite a bit and don't care if anyone in my ship knows when I'm on. I'm tired of bugging support about it and they are most likely tired of hearing from me. The idea that this is some kind of privacy related issue seems so odd to me. I haven't played an XBox live game online in awhile, is this an issue there? Is this an issue with any online world game? WOW, Arc or anything like that? Why not let individual fellowships decide. Chatting isn't a condition of joining my ship, but I would like to know if a member is active or not. Well, hopefully they come up with a solution soon..

DeletedUser13313

The privacy issue? Is that due to the EU privacy laws? I'm on the US server. Is the US server located in the EU? I would guess so since Inno games is a German company.. so does that subject me to these privacy laws? I'm assuming it does..

NearOK

I also don't care if my gaming is monitored or not; Elvenstats seems to acquire a surprising amount of info on every player and Fs (Fellowship), and I don't have a problem with "my privacy being invaded". As an AM, I have a responsibility to the Fs to assure that each member is fulfilling the requirements of the Fs, and periodically using the "/who" function aided in that endeavor. I also found it useful for updating a previous conversation, targeting a new one, or simply sharing the comraderie with a member you may have more in common with than others. Although this my first MMO game, I understand these two functions are prevalent in most other games of this genre, and are fairly popular with players, making the game more attractive to play. In summary, I prefer that the /who function be reinstated with an opt-out option.

On the other hand, my attitude about the "/whisper" function is mainly ambivalent . Having been the victim of grade school gossip, /whisper has the connotation of surreptitious gossip to me; I don't see any clear reason for it. I would think that function is better served by utilizing tne FMB (Fs Message Board) to send private messages, rather than the more public FCB (Fs Chat Board.).