• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament contributions

• Thread starter Deleted User - 841850
  • Start date

Deleted User - 841850

When I started playing I hit on 4 provinces during the tournaments because I was out of resources by 3 but have a thing for even numbers (I know, weird, right?) so found a way to eke out the 4th one. Now that I've been doing this for a while I've been able to average the 4 and have just on the last 2 or 3 tournaments actually begun to plan it so that I don't totally bottom out on my fighters (with the help of gamers gems of knowledge I figured out the autofight so stopped blowing away goods and have now recently, with the advice of samidodamge, begun to figure out how to actually fight ,so hope to soon be able to not blow through fighters as well, here's hopin!)
And here is the question! .What is considered a good amount of provinces conquered per tournament?I know that in the more competitive Fellowships there is an expected number of provinces to conquer and would like to know if my numbers are up to that standard, because I want to give it my best shot.

DeletedUser5013

It's all relative! It really depends on what you mean by "competitive Fellowships". In a fellowship trying to open all 10 chests, each player has to have an average score of 1,600 (assuming there are 25 members). So it really does depend on what you mean. My minimum goal is to get all 6 stars closed out in at least the first 8 levels. Sometimes MUCH more than that, but that's my minimum. I've also been playing a long time and have the ability to acquire the resources needed to accomplish that (via troop production, goods production, etc.).

There is a huge difference though between a fellowship trying to open 10 chests and one that is happy opening 5 or 6. As you play longer, you will be able to increase your production and gain more experience fighting which will change your prospective on what "competitive" means.

Last edited by a moderator:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
What I remember hearing is a consistent 1000 points/week is a good goal to shoot for.
I have an odd way of doing things, but here goes: I almost never do 6 rounds, I like to sleep on a schedule, lol! In my main city in S&D where I can open up to 25 provinces, I do 5 rounds of 10 provinces every week for 2100 points. When we 'push' for the 6th chest (I know, :rolleyes:), I open as many as I can and try to beat my personal best tourney score (now at 4002).
I started a baby city that is now mid chapter 4. I started out there doing 5 rounds in as many provinces as I had (I still explore the map very slowly). As I got more provinces, I started clearing what I could, got comfortable completing 5 rounds, added another province and so on. I'm now up to having 5 provinces for all the tourney types, with 9 for steel (my boost, so I've cleared more of those and pushed that tourney, too). 5 rounds in 5 provinces gives me 1050 points, and I'm pretty comfortable doing them. ElvenStats shows my tourney average there at 1247, but that's skewed a bit high due to pushing last week's steel to 1836 points for my steel boost.
When I can consistently do 5 rounds of 6 provinces (1260 points), I'll be looking to join a highly organized (though not necessarily high ranking) FS that is focused on tourneys (and FA's, annoying as the clicking is). I should get there soon.
Depending on where you are, I'd set a goal of getting comfortable with clearing 5 rounds of 5 provinces. Once that was consistently fairly easy for me to do, I'd add the 6th and start working on getting it to 5 rounds. It takes 1600 points per member of a full 25 member FS to get the 10th chest. Once you can do 5 rounds of 8 provinces, you'll get 1680 points.

kctanzen

Finding out that point unique to your city where you can reach your maximum sustainable effort and farm rewards from tourneys (which over time can be immensely helpful) has a lot of different moving parts to pin down.

Sustainable to me means how hard can I put effort into each weekly tourney and not limit my regular city growth and map clearing.

The combination of chapter, space available in your city, how many optional squad size techs you have taken, military wonders, and how many available tourney provinces you have potentially available comes into the mix. Not to mention the desire to set things up for consistently sustainable efforts.

If going for a point figure .. deeper is generally better than broader.
5 rounds of 6 provinces is better for points than 2 rounds of 16 provinces as an example.

The province / round rewards are the same for every tourney so you can then figure out what specific personal rewards you want as well.
It will take a fair bit of scouting to open up many provinces on page 2. Tourney provinces = map provinces of that type scouted.
Page 2, round 2 is pretty much my favorite personal rewards .. almost all of those give 5 KP each, and that is KP I can spend on research or wonders.

Deleted User - 841850

Since I've gotten a little better building up my fighters I actually was able to do 5 today relatively painlessly (my "evens" alarm was sounding off but I'll get over it, I'm not quite ready for 6 yet!:) Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to improve my game play and it helps to know what to shoot for..
Another question though, how do the rewards work? I've noticed that while there are descriptions of the rewards they don't seem to match up For example, when I was trying to do one of the "gain relics" for Woodelvenstock, I looked at the rewards per province and counted 20 relics however I only got 17. (I asked support and they said that twas correct, they also offered an explanation, but I didn't quite get it)The same thing happens when I'm trying to do the "gain 4 relics" declinable quest, I always come up with less than I thought I would. I've also noticed that it says rewards for next province so I'm thinking that may be the answer. However if that is correct, how do you know what you will get for the 1st one?

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
how do you know what you will get for the 1st one?
You can check it in the tournament pop-up box before you do the province. Or, once in the province, rewards for that round are shown at the top middle of the screen. Once it's completed, the rewards for the next round show up in the tournament pop-up box.
my "evens" alarm was sounding off
I prefer even numbers as well, lol! Over time I convinced myself 5,10,15,etc is just as good as evens because they are a clean easy multiple, almost as easy as 2,4,6,etc. Don't know if that'll work for you, but it's an idea...

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I'm more interested in KP than other tournament rewards, so I usually do this:
1-5=5 stars
6 = 3 stars
7 = 2 stars
8 = 1 star
9 = 3 stars
10-20=2 stars

That's with 99% Autofight.
The "Max KP" method for 1600 points is this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a5JuWYi_F1GWQAkQWdoan9hDvKghPPdha2DllYfEks4/edit?usp=sharing

We did a fair bit of testing and found that 1600 points on autofight requires around 100 squads on average.
You can see what you need to train 100 squads per week using this training calculator:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UyC58Lbn1Bq1DWhChs1XONjufT7wOBAa0sxX4VsZabY/edit?usp=sharing

Deleted User - 841850

Thanks for the information, I'm the one who just lumbers in, slash and burn, and then out, but now I'm really beginning to get a better idea of how these tournaments work and how to play them to the best advantage. Also the spreadsheet on training fighters looks awesome, I've been trying to figure out how to build my army ,(I run low on troops on every tournament, I just can't seem to get ahead on the count).

NearOK

I AM NOT an authority on troop buildup, so I post the usual methods, which you are probably aware of already.

It is important that you first determine how much emphasis you place on fighting vs catering, If you choose fighting, Upgrade your troop factories [Barracks, Train Grounds, & Mercenary Camp] as soon as possible to produce troops quicker. Squad training size is mandated by your Armories, so build and upgrade as many as your town can manage, upgrading them as well. Almost half the AWs (Ancient Wonders) provide some sort of battle bonus which increases with each upgrade, but doesn't change their size or orientation. You then have to be content research the 15 different troops available, and their three levels of capability, spread throughout the game.

Choosing to minimize fighting means catering (bribing) the bad guys, emphasis on goods production and minimizing battle building production and upgrading. It also means using you space for non-military AWs and constructing a greater number of manufactories, particularly your boosted ones. You'll also want to keep your Magic Academy outputting your enchantment spells, which are dependent on the relics you collect.

\Before you choose either philosophy, research the possibilities ASAP if you wish to make the earliest best decision for your gaming style. As there are ple3nty of worlds, you can always choose to play styles in different worlds.

Deleted User - 841850

Thanks for that info. I am trying to do more fighting as I'd rather use the goods for other aspects of the game, so I guess it's high time that I learn more about the fighters.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
We did a fair bit of testing and found that 1600 points on autofight requires around 100 squads on average.
Is that 100 squads a total for through the tournament or what is needed prior to the tourney starting? I haven't tracked my total usage but I know I rarely have more than 80 squads and can hit well past 1600 pts. Usually I have between 50-70 squads of my key unit at the start of the week.

I run low on troops on every tournament, I just can't seem to get ahead on the count.
This can be a function of a number of things, consider some of the following:
  • What Buildings/AW's you have that boost troops, troops production, training size
  • Increasing your military production (mentioned above). So more armories and higher levels barracks. It us very nice to have your max training time longer than the max time your away from the game so that your barracks is producing troops 24/7
  • Learning fight mechanics and troops
  • Learning provinces and which ones you find harder/easier. If a province type is particularly hard you may wish to do a few less provinces/rounds as troop losses will be higher
  • If you are running out of troops consider doing less in tournaments, you might be over-extending. If you just run very-low on troops but can recover those back by the next tournament then that is great.
It takes time to learn the mechanics of combat. There are plenty of guides for learning the basics but it takes experience to learn the more subtle aspects and what works for your own style of play.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Is that 100 squads a total for through the tournament or what is needed prior to the tourney starting?
100 squads total that die over the course of the tournament. There was a range around 80 to 120 depending on which week, and whether the player was able to use 2 star or 3 star units as well as wonder boosts(no wonders over level 6 were used, and often no wonders at all)
It's a very rough number, and lots of factors can change it, I think 100 squads as a goal should do the trick.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Thanks Soggy. Sounds reasonable based on an estimate of my own squad usage. Very roughly I use around 120 squads per tournament, but for more than 1,600 pts.

Deleted User - 841850

What Buildings/AW's you have that boost troops, troops production, training size

After several agonizing months I finally just finished Orcs and Goblins. Now I've got all this room but that will soon be filled with buildings for Woodelves. Using "gamers guide" recommendations I've actually mapped out the space for the forest glade at level 4 size, as well as 4 forest fabrications, 6 each steel and marble, and 4 plank grafting sites, and 8 weeping willows. So while I'd love to use them there does not seem to be any room to put out the AW's for the fighters.As I have 2 expansions in the chapter research would it better to use one or both for those AW's or better to not block them up as I'll need more space for the following chapter?

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Space is always a question of priorities. It is possible to have almost all of the wonder and room for the guest races with minimal expansions and as a free player. Often players sacrifice the space for AW's and guest races to build factories, one is prioritised over the other. There is also some misinformation around some wonders so people may ignore something that could save them space.

Regardless there really is no right or wrong answer, as long as you are true to your own style of play. If you wish to put more into tournaments and military then I would prioritise the space, if your happy with how you are progressing than stick to what you currently do.

Also don't forget each new chapter is planned around 3-4 (ish) province expansions in addition to the tech tree ones.

DeletedUser12171

If you have really limited space, make sure you have minimally

Golden Abyss (more pop = less residences = save space)
Mountain Halls (more goods = more cater, also pop)
Sanctuary/Monastery (longer lasting troops)
Needles (train troops faster)
Shrooms (train more troops)

Leveling those 5 alone will give you a big boost in facing tournaments

If you spend diamonds, get L5 magic academy and make as many magical manufacturing spells as you can. Do the at least two rounds of every tournament province for free PoP spells and pop them on your workshops as often as you can. All these are boosts for your advantage, use them liberally

If you haven't reached 500 relics for your boosted goods, prioritize those tournaments and get it asap