• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Feedback on our new Challenges Feature.

ekarat

With the two different versions, I cannot believe that that is anything other than a bug on LIVE.

I believe it was intentional on beta. The term for this is "A/B testing" -- a random half of your test group gets one version, and the other half gets another. That's perfectly acceptable on a beta server.

It is not acceptable on a live server. This is not testing. That is what beta is for.

Then again, accidents happen. Someone might have accidentally left in the code to randomize the group. It's easy to do. I know. As a coder, I've accidentally left in code that was for testing only.

But I cannot believe that this is intentional on LIVE. (Intentional on BETA, yes, but not on LIVE)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
There are actually at least four versions, possibly more, with different return for production runs and different totals needed to complete. It may be they wanted a larger pool for the different variants.

I disagree that it's unacceptable. Nothing is breaking, nothing is taken away, No one has to pay any attention to it at all. Different people who choose to participate have differnt levels of effort to get some free stuff we weren't expecting. I had what appears to be the most difficult combination, and I still finished a few minutes ago with almost two days to spare, and without removing any of my existing buildings.

HeroJAY1

There are actually at least four versions, possibly more, with different return for production runs and different totals needed to complete. It may be they wanted a larger pool for the different variants.

I disagree that it's unacceptable. Nothing is breaking, nothing is taken away, No one has to pay any attention to it at all. Different people who choose to participate have differnt levels of effort to get some free stuff we weren't expecting. I had what appears to be the most difficult combination, and I still finished a few minutes ago with almost two days to spare, and without removing any of my existing buildings.
The issue was never if it was acceptable or not. The issue is if it is fair or not. There are a lot of things in life that are not fair, but we learn to accept them. That doesn't make them fair.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The issue was never if it was acceptable or not. The issue is if it is fair or not. There are a lot of things in life that are not fair, but we learn to accept them. That doesn't make them fair.
It is not acceptable on a live server. This is not testing. That is what beta is for.
The user before me said it was unacceptable, therefore the question I answered was, in fact, whether it was acceptable or not.

DeletedUser2959

'Acceptable' is pretty much specific to the individual. I gotta say that it is a dumb thing to do without at least mentioning that this is a test run and that people will get different versions. I still stand by my opinion that since it's just free stuff I'm not gonna complain. Did they actually think we wouldn't notice?

hvariidh gwendrot

what ever it's called beta on live is not a good thing, once become twice and then it's oh well and kaploowee, you get a crises and someone declares and emergency and next thing you know a shut down :eek:

DeletedUser20478

My take on the Challenges is that it's a nice little bonus. It was very easy to finish this in the normal course of playing, so getting something for free without having to do anything extra was really nice. And, if people didn't get all of the prizes, it should have been no huge disappointment to them as the prizes were huge or anything. And most of the prizes were in gaining the first half of the points and so, again, most would have been easy to obtain. Additionally, it was nice to get the spell fragments and the Combining Catalysts. Since they have no expiration dates, people don't have to use them right away. All in all, I thought that this was a nice little bonus.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
What paragon path did you pick with that combo?
First Edition vanilla, no paragons (circa 1984). Each personality was aware of one of the others, but they didn't share skills. The artist (aware of the theif's actions), who was a bit fastidious, kept selling off the leather armour (which was occasionally stained with blood when he manifested) to buy new brushes and paint. The paladin (who was aware of the artist) was continually seeking penance for the debauched lifestyle the artist lived, while selling off the paintings and supplies to get new armour. The thief (who was aware of the paladin) assumed the paladin was selling off his leather armour to spite him, so did the same in reverse. Since they always manifested in order, the cycle was continuous, and effectively kept him from accumulating any wealth.