• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

5-5-5

DeletedUser19723

In forum posts I often see a reference to 5-5-5. I think it is regarding city development. Or not? Can someone please tell me what it means?

DeletedUser19723

It's the number of factories for each tier. If your boosts were steel, scrolls, and magic dust, for example, it's referring to having 5 steel, 5 scrolls, and 5 magic dust. It has nothing to do with workshops.

Thanks! I had no idea what it meant but thought it might be important. I have 6 steel, 3 scrolls, 2 elixir. As the tiers go up, the cost to build and upgrade goes up...a lot. So ultimately, for optimal goods production I should try for 5 of each and level them up as I can?

DeletedUser4699

Thanks! I had no idea what it meant but thought it might be important. I have 6 steel, 3 scrolls, 2 elixir. As the tiers go up, the cost to build and upgrade goes up...a lot. So ultimately, for optimal goods production I should try for 5 of each and level them up as I can?

I try not to give exact numbers when giving advice/suggestions, as everyone plays this game a little bit differently - but here are some things to consider:

I like to think about total number of squares being occupied, instead of number of buildings. Building vary in size between humans and elves, and also between some chapters. For example, some individuals may start out with 10 tier1 2x2 factories, and eventually end up with only 3 tier1 4x5 factories. So, as you level up your factories, they increase production efficiency and you may find yourself deleting some of them.

Many of the developing cities I've looked at have had a proportion of roughly 3:2:1 of t1/t2/t3 factories, but tend to even out as they advance in the chapters. This will obviously vary, depending on what type of city is being built - is it cater-only, cater-military mix, military-focused?

Hopefully this helps, and didn't muddy the waters too much. Whenever making significant changes to your town, give it a few days to see how the economy is affected. Sometimes it can be tough to tell right away, so I try to keep most changes rather gradual.
Best of luck.

DeletedUser19723

I try not to give exact numbers when giving advice/suggestions, as everyone plays this game a little bit differently - but here are some things to consider:

I like to think about total number of squares being occupied, instead of number of buildings. Building vary in size between humans and elves, and also between some chapters. For example, some individuals may start out with 10 tier1 2x2 factories, and eventually end up with only 3 tier1 4x5 factories. So, as you level up your factories, they increase production efficiency and you may find yourself deleting some of them.

Many of the developing cities I've looked at have had a proportion of roughly 3:2:1 of t1/t2/t3 factories, but tend to even out as they advance in the chapters. This will obviously vary, depending on what type of city is being built - is it cater-only, cater-military mix, military-focused?

Hopefully this helps, and didn't muddy the waters too much. Whenever making significant changes to your town, give it a few days to see how the economy is affected. Sometimes it can be tough to tell right away, so I try to keep most changes rather gradual.
Best of luck.

No muddy water :) I understand what you are saying about the proportions, and making any changes gradually. I don't want to be selling/rebuilding all the time. That makes me think - If sell say a L4 steel factory, do I get everything back that I invested in it from purchase up to L4 or just what was spent on the last level up? If I want to sell a couple of T1 factories to build another T2 or T3, I'm wondering how bad a hit I'll take.

As for type of city, I mostly cater because I really stink at battling. Of course, that means that I always need goods. Most of my catering requires primarily T1 goods. It's always "beg, borrow, steal" for marble and planks. Will that change as I move along (I just started Chapter 4) or are T1 goods generally required because they cost the least to produce? Just thinking out loud :confused:

DeletedUser19723

@SherG26 For experimental reasons you can disconnect a Tier 1 for a few days and see how it effects ( or is it affects :oops:) your game.
That way your not selling it and can always reconnect it to a road again.

I never remember the whole "take it off the road" thing. I'm finding that building, leveling, and running the factories is a juggling act. And, my goods production doesn't seem to make sense. Well, to me anyway. Example - 5 or 6(?) Steel factories and 3 Scrolls factories. Scrolls bldgs are all lower levels than the steel. Their boost %ages - is that how you say is? - are the same. They are all always producing - close to 24/7. Yet I am producing double the amount of scrolls as steel. I don't get it!

DeletedUser4699

And, my goods production doesn't seem to make sense. Well, to me anyway. Example - 5 or 6(?) Steel factories and 3 Scrolls factories. Scrolls bldgs are all lower levels than the steel. Their boost %ages - is that how you say is? - are the same. They are all always producing - close to 24/7. Yet I am producing double the amount of scrolls as steel. I don't get it!

This is a good example of figuring out production per square instead of by building, and it may make a bit more sense. Taking a quick look at the wiki and using elves as an example, the following conclusions can be reached:
Lvl 4 steel factory - produces 38/d
Lvl 4 scroll factory -produces 85/d
However, steel factory at this level is 2x2, and scroll is 3x3. Figuring out production by square gives us:
Lvl 4 steel factory - produces 9.5/d per square
Lvl 4 scroll factory - produces 9.4444444444444/d per square

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@SherG26 Getting the goods for negotiating in tournaments and completing provinces really comes down to what you can trade for. If you never see any good trades from either fellowship members or from world map neighbors, it may not be that they are not posting trades. Rather, it may be they are posting trades when you are not in the game and they are getting taken before you ever see them. If you can play with the app, pick different times of day to just load the game for a couple of minutes and check the Trader. If things are still dead, maybe the game will move you to a better location in the world.

As for all the different "build" options like 5:5:5 or 2:2:2, my boosted goods were never more than 4:2:2 and I eventually dropped to 2:2:2 without even knowing that was a preferred way to do it. I also found that I never needed more than 2 each of my tier 2 or tier 3 boosted goods, but I also leveled my boosted goods to max current level as soon as I could. I think I also got lucky with having active traders around me when I was still in the first five chapters, when getting all the goods was harder to do.

DeletedUser19723

This is a good example of figuring out production per square instead of by building, and it may make a bit more sense. Taking a quick look at the wiki and using elves as an example, the following conclusions can be reached:
Lvl 4 steel factory - produces 38/d
Lvl 4 scroll factory -produces 85/d
However, steel factory at this level is 2x2, and scroll is 3x3. Figuring out production by square gives us:
Lvl 4 steel factory - produces 9.5/d per square
Lvl 4 scroll factory - produces 9.4444444444444/d per square

Son of gun! So that's why I get more scrolls than steel! Thanks for turning on the light :)

DeletedUser19723

@SherG26 Getting the goods for negotiating in tournaments and completing provinces really comes down to what you can trade for. If you never see any good trades from either fellowship members or from world map neighbors, it may not be that they are not posting trades. Rather, it may be they are posting trades when you are not in the game and they are getting taken before you ever see them. If you can play with the app, pick different times of day to just load the game for a couple of minutes and check the Trader. If things are still dead, maybe the game will move you to a better location in the world.

As for all the different "build" options like 5:5:5 or 2:2:2, my boosted goods were never more than 4:2:2 and I eventually dropped to 2:2:2 without even knowing that was a preferred way to do it. I also found that I never needed more than 2 each of my tier 2 or tier 3 boosted goods, but I also leveled my boosted goods to max current level as soon as I could. I think I also got lucky with having active traders around me when I was still in the first five chapters, when getting all the goods was harder to do.

I play on PC and iPad. I'm on and off all different times. A lot of goods come and go, some I need, some I don't. Problems I'm seeing:

I don't have huge stockpiles of anything. I'm trying to build my city, expand, etc. I guess if I wanted to spend a week or two just letting my city stagnate while I build up huge stores of goods.......um...no.

A lot of trades are for quantities I either don't have or am unwilling to part with because then I don't have enough for other things. Small trades I grab whenever I can.

Cross-tier trades that are considered fair are not realistic for me. I can't part with 1000 scrolls to get 62 magic dust. I resort to putting up cross-tier trades when I need to, but I make them very profitable for the buyer, like 200 elixir for 300 marble. I don't care that I'm taking a loss - I just need the marble.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Cross-tier trades that are considered fair are not realistic for me. I can't part with 1000 scrolls to get 62 magic dust. I resort to putting up cross-tier trades when I need to, but I make them very profitable for the buyer, like 200 elixir for 300 marble. I don't care that I'm taking a loss - I just need the marble.

You should never have to post trades that unbalanced. Even going by the preferred numbers some others have posted about where tier 3 to tier 1 should be 5:1, for 200 elixir, you should be able to easily get 1000 marble or more.

And that other example of a trade you would not take is a horrible ratio, even by the game's standards. 1000 scrolls should get 250 dust, at minimum, if it is a 2-star trade.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
At a minimum I would recommend 40 squares of each factory type. I have found it doesn't matter what your chapter is that minimum pretty much holds true (don't use it for sentient goods). Depending on your tournament participation and speed of negotiating you can adjust the amount up to suit. Going less than 40 squares would require a lot more reliance on combat.

So for example if your steel factories are 6 squares and you have 6 then that is 36 squares, so build 1 more to cover 42 squares. Aim to have those 40 squares at max level if possible. You will figure out what works for you and what suits your tourney participation.

One word of warning, from my experience the fastest way to run out of space is to build too many factories, especially tier 3 and to a lesser extent tier 2. The cost to support those with coins, supplies, culture and pop is significant.

Play around with it and have some fun. :)

DeletedUser19723

At a minimum I would recommend 40 squares of each factory type. I have found it doesn't matter what your chapter is that minimum pretty much holds true (don't use it for sentient goods). Depending on your tournament participation and speed of negotiating you can adjust the amount up to suit. Going less than 40 squares would require a lot more reliance on combat.

So for example if your steel factories are 6 squares and you have 6 then that is 36 squares, so build 1 more to cover 42 squares. Aim to have those 40 squares at max level if possible. You will figure out what works for you and what suits your tourney participation.

One word of warning, from my experience the fastest way to run out of space is to build too many factories, especially tier 3 and to a lesser extent tier 2. The cost to support those with coins, supplies, culture and pop is significant.

Play around with it and have some fun. :)

Good morning, Mykan. I read your post and went back to count.
T1 Steel 34 squares
T2 Scrolls 36 squares
T3 Elixir 24 squares
Total boosted squares = 94
I think I need another Elixir factory. TBT, I never run out of Elixir or Scrolls. Steel? Okay, but not as good. This holds true for trading, constructing and negotiating.

I have 60 squares committed to non-boosted
T1 Planks 6 and Marble 12
T2 Silk 9 and Crystal 9
T3 Magic Dust 12 and Gems 12
I could sell Silk and Magic Dust as I have more coming in from 2 of my Market Set buildings (all 5 connected) than I can even produce or trade for. Well, now anyway. An aside -I get more supplies from the two winter event sets in 1 day than I can produce in 2 days. I am NEVER out of supplies, even training troops all day. The Wholesaler and I are on a 1st name basis :)
I don't think I should sell the 3 Planks and 3 Marble. They seem to be needed in all the event quests, along with workshops. Anyway, they aren't big and are cheap to run.

I keep reading, "Trade, trade, trade. Sell, sell, sell all non-boosted buildings." But here's the thing - I like all the different factories. I've upgraded some just to see what they look like at the next level. Pretty bad, hum? I'm at the beginning of Ch4. Sure, maybe they will have to go by Ch 6 or 8, or 10? But right now? To quote you - "Play around and have some fun." I love Elvenar, the forum is fantastic, and I think I'm moving along okay. Two months from start to where I am now isn't too bad, is it?

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Sounds like your going ok. The minimum squares is a guide, if you feel your running low on certain goods check that number and it will often highlight why. I know some people who do a lot in tournaments often opt for 60/60/40 squares, but that is pat of the experimenting to find what you need for your style.

With regards to non-boosted goods the opportunity cost for that space compared to a boosted factory is quite a lot in terms of goods, and it gets bigger the higher your boost % is. However, there is no reason you can't have non-boost if that is your preference. Later in the game you will discover sentient goods and your town will then have 6 of the 9 factories in it. I wonder if eventually we will need them all but only time will tell. Sentient goods don't start until elementals so you have a long time to wait before worrying about them and the space for them.

People often just build a level 1 factory of non-boosted goods for events and such to meet the requirements. In terms o supplies you could drop a workshop but again it is up to you. If your space is not cramped then there is no real need. If however you start struggling for room it is an area you may consider to free up room, assuming you still have a surplus.

NightshadeCS

I keep reading, "Trade, trade, trade. Sell, sell, sell all non-boosted buildings." But here's the thing - I like all the different factories. I've upgraded some just to see what they look like at the next level. Pretty bad, hum? I'm at the beginning of Ch4. Sure, maybe they will have to go by Ch 6 or 8, or 10? But right now? To quote you - "Play around and have some fun." I love Elvenar, the forum is fantastic, and I think I'm moving along okay. Two months from start to where I am now isn't too bad, is it?

Loving the look of non-boosted factories and wanting to have everything in production was something I had to overcome with great difficulty when I was first starting out in Elvenar. You can definitely keep those factories, but you will have to sacrifice somewhere else. You may not be able to place all of the very cool-looking Ancient Wonder buildings, for example. Or, you may have to wait around a lot b/c your city will not be efficient enough to keep up progress. That is fine, if you are good with it! I don't rush through the chapters, but I would be hopelessly tech-locked if I still had all of the manufactories.
When I started my second city, I built only boosted goods, none of the others. Gaze on them fondly for a few days and then rip off the band-aid. Or not. ;-)

Also, as far as trades go, just keep posting them. Post for what you need and don't worry about taking others' that you don't need. If you are not in a fellowship that can sometimes help you out with big zero-star trades to boost you, maybe look around your world map and see if there is a high-level player and send them a message. Maybe they will help you out, if you ask nicely and it isn't too often requested.

Good luck!