• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

City Map work space?

Having a City Builder Temporary Holding Workspace for existing buildings would be helpful

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser20641

I know part of the fun of this game is trying to build the most efficient city plan we can but adjusting things and moving things to make upgrade changes is a tad frustrating. Is there any way we can get some sort of Temporary space to "hold" stuff to shuffle? As it is we have to sell buildings we have spent time and resources to build to even shift things around.

Look- I get it. It's a challenge to Tetris in your head all the odd shaped buildings, hidden pathways you can't see anymore because buildings are blocking them and lost little 1x1 culture space fillers. It's like those slide puzzles where you constantly have to move everything to get to a goal. It would be great if we had set sized buildings to work with but with all the Extras and Holiday buildings (some need paths- some don't) I find myself spending more time moving stuff trying to make things fit than playing anymore. I've even donated to the cause and got diamonds to expand faster to give me space to move things around but it still is very limited.

Love the game- it's been the first one to hold my attention in a long while.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The idea has been brought up quite a bit, and it gets a mixed response from players, and no indications of interest from the developers.

Shortly after I started playing, I started keeping at least one expansion either empty, or full of little things I don't mind tearing down. It appears as if that is the only storage space they are ever going to give us.

DeletedUser2768

This is asked for more and more often. The answer that keeps coming back is NO!

There are two great websites that are player made, that work well together.

Elvenstats.com You can pull up your own information and then import your current city layout into elvenarchitect.com and tinker with your city to your heart's content.

bkbajb

I would hate to see the challenge taken away with a way to store buildings. I am in S&D and I am having a hard time planning for a level 4 campus. I do not have everything unlocked yet but you need a 21x21 area for the campus and other buildings. This does not take into consideration all of the other building changes needed for this chapter. But I have ideas and will see how it pans out.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I would hate to see the challenge taken away with a way to store buildings. I am in S&D and I am having a hard time planning for a level 4 campus. I do not have everything unlocked yet but you need a 21x21 area for the campus and other buildings. This does not take into consideration all of the other building changes needed for this chapter. But I have ideas and will see how it pans out.

This is sort of a side topic, but you can do that chapter without making it a big square. I had my campus at the edge of my city and only built the classrooms on the other three sides. I only built three of each classroom, but got through the chapter fine. I think there may be a quest that wants you to build four of each, but it can be declined/skipped.

DeletedUser2768

gamers gems of knowledge...or whatever that website is has some suggested layouts for every campus level. It's been a godsend for me and organizing S&D

DeletedUser9601

This is a need that honestly falls away by Dwarves, so I really don't expect it to show up.
Once you hit the Dwarves chapter, you start building temporary buildings that only exist for that chapter. Therefore, every time you advance a chapter, you end up deleting 5+ expansions worth of buildings. This has the immediate benefit of giving you tons of empty space to let you re-organize your city and accomodate changes in building sizes and orientation.

DeletedUser5616

What if the 'holding' space for buildings was on a very short timer. For instance, I currently need to upgrade to level 16 steel mill, I have the space scattered around and if I could place a couple of buildings in a hold for xx minutes while I shifted others around I could upgrade move my steel mill to allow upgrade and replace the buildings in hold status.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Space is the only thing in the game that isn't unlimited. You can get more of everything else over time. Removing the challenge of space, even momentarily, makes everything easier.

There is no win condition in the game. The only reason to play is to challenge yourself. If you remove challenge you need to add it back elsewhere.

DeletedUser20417

I think the key word here is temporary. The holding space would be for rearranging purposes only, not for long term storage of buildings. This still keeps the challenge of limited space, but also makes it possible to re arrange your buildings. My city is such a cluster right now, and I don't see the possibility of being able to re arrange it any time soon. It drives me nuts!

DeletedUser2768

I think the key word here is temporary. The holding space would be for rearranging purposes only, not for long term storage of buildings. This still keeps the challenge of limited space, but also makes it possible to re arrange your buildings. My city is such a cluster right now, and I don't see the possibility of being able to re arrange it any time soon. It drives me nuts!

Looking at your city in elvenarchitect. The first thing you need to do is sell off your Plank and Marble factories. They are NOT worth the time and energy put into them. After that, you'll have plenty of room to move things around. Second, realign your buildings so the short sides are on the road. Also, use both sides of the road.

Here's one way you can do it: https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/cbbb2c2506ba4c958b05f129def648fc/

All the stuff on the left, off the grid is stuff that should be sold. I'd also build more factories so you have at least 5 of each.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I bolded your "but." It is always possible to rearrange your buildings, you just have to be willing to sell some of them off. What it does is not make it possible to rearrange, but make it easier, and cheaper to rearrange. By definition, making something cheaper and easier is not keeping the challenge. It is, in fact, lowering the challenge.

I've seen a lot of people say "that would make the game too easy" or "the Devs won't do that because it would make the game too easy." Let's be very clear - Inno will do anything that they think will make money. Money allows you to buy your way out of almost anything in the game. Diamonds, Magic Residence or Workshops, Premium Expansions, Special event packages, Fellowship Adventure badges. Chess is a game that is all about skill - you can't buy your way to checkmate. Elvenar is all about making Inno money - and they will do whatever accomplishes that goal best.

That being said, if this is continuously being suggested, then it should be implemented at cost. Maybe something that you can earn during the game, like Portal Profit or a blueprint. Maybe Diamonds. That way it can't be done at will and there is a "cost" to use it that balances out the benefit.

DeletedUser2768

I've seen a lot of people say "that would make the game too easy" or "the Devs won't do that because it would make the game too easy." Let's be very clear - Inno will do anything that they think will make money. Money allows you to buy your way out of almost anything in the game. Diamonds, Magic Residence or Workshops, Premium Expansions, Special event packages, Fellowship Adventure badges. Chess is a game that is all about skill - you can't buy your way to checkmate. Elvenar is all about making Inno money - and they will do whatever accomplishes that goal best.

That being said, if this is continuously being suggested, then it should be implemented at cost. Maybe something that you can earn during the game, like Portal Profit or a blueprint. Maybe Diamonds. That way it can't be done at will and there is a "cost" to use it that balances out the benefit.

Except for that fact that "never gonna happen" has come from the devs. I believe it was one of the video Q&A's.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Yep, people have been asking for 2+ years, maybe even since the game launched almost 3 years ago, and the devs keep saying no and explaining that arranging your city and deciding what to keep and what to sell for space is part of the core strategy of the game. This is also basically the same reason we will never get buildings that rotate. These two things will never change.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Let's be very clear - Inno will do anything that they think will make money.

That being said, if this is continuously being suggested, then it should be implemented at cost.
If stated a little more accurately, your first comment almost provides the correct counter-argument for your second, there. A slight correction delivers it.

Let's be very clear - Inno will do anything that they think will make more money than an alternative.

They already do sell premium storage. There are 31 premium expansions available, running for up to over $100.00 for the last one. They could make some some money by selling a permanent storage feature, but they already make more money by people buying expansions to use as storage, who then use them to get a greater advantage, then when they need the temporary storage, they buy another expansion, at a higher price, and the cycle continues.

My counter to the suggestion of premium storage is: Buy an expansion or two, then don't ever use them for anything but temporary storage. Voila, you have premium extra storage that is permanent. By the same token, free, permanent storage is available if you reserve 1 or 2 of the free in-game expansions for storage.

Deleted User - 2144192

I, for one, am all for a construction feature similar to what exists in FoE. Construction Mode is a wonderful feature that allows me to reorganize and optimize my city to free space in order to accomodate researched goods buildings needed to fulfill quests or normal tasks.

I don't mind contributing money to support Innogames and purchase what I feel is needed for my city and have multiple times in the past. But, being a unemployed, gimped U.S. Veteran has put a damper on any purchases from Innogames for awhile until I'm able to get back to work.

DeletedUser19672

I, for one, am all for a construction feature similar to what exists in FoE. Construction Mode is a wonderful feature that allows me to reorganize and optimize my city to free space in order to accomodate researched goods buildings needed to fulfill quests or normal tasks.

I don't mind contributing money to support Innogames and purchase what I feel is needed for my city and have multiple times in the past. But, being a unemployed, gimped U.S. Veteran has put a damper on any purchases from Innogames for awhile until I'm able to get back to work.

I suggested this before too. What sucks is that I play Elvenar far less then FoE even though there are aspects to this game that I adore. (I know it seems like that would be a given, but last time I brought up FoE's "Build Mode" I was told to go play FoE then. :rolleyes:)

It's so very very painful (literally) to drag things around by mouse when you have lupus-induced arthritis. Sure other people may have no issue dragging things around (and I get the "you can get relics, etc, by helping your neighbours via desktop" and while it annoys me that I can rarely take advantage of that, c'est la vie, this is far more annoying b/c it's a major aspect of the game) I CANNOT without pain. It's really unfortunate that a game I love to play (& my FS is really the best) is inaccessible in this way. I would LOVE to be able to play more without being constantly reminded how inaccessible rebuilding is.

And yes I know about elvenarchitect - that still does jack-all when it comes to event buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.