• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Portal profits

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Is it worth using these along the way or save them for later in the game. in elves near the end and wondered if it was worth spending some to speed up finishing the chapter
That's hard to assess for another person. If you have lots, I'm not sure they're going to increase in value, but they are more useful in some chapters than others. If you only have a few, you might want to use them strategically when they will avoid tech-lock

Deleted User - 3932582

That's hard to assess for another person. If you have lots, I'm not sure they're going to increase in value, but they are more useful in some chapters than others. If you only have a few, you might want to use them strategically when they will avoid tech-lock
What Ashrem said. Specifically for your situation, are you tech locked? If not, there is really no point in deploying PPs. And speaking of chapters - the next chapter for you - Sorcerers & Dragons - is basically designed for tech lock or using Portal Profits. Unless you have unusually low KP inflow (no tournaments, no KP buildings etc), there are just not enough apprentices in the Wisdom Square to sustain the pace that you can hit otherwise. And there is nothing you can do about it (i.e. no amount of extra space or resources will impact that). The only solution is either wait, or use PPs. I believe I used more than 300% worth of PP there, and barely escaped tech lock. S&D is the worst chapter that I've seen so far in this regard, so I'd probably save PPs until then.

Also depends on how much you have ;)

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
My general rule, regardless of chapter, for portal profits is based on the level of my portal. Basically, the higher the level of the portal, the bigger the percent of a portal profit I am willing to use. So I will never use more than a 5% profit if my portal is still level 1. Maybe I will use a 10% if I am desperate for the materials provided to finish something. But otherwise I save the 10% for level 2 or higher portal, and 15% or higher portal profits for when my portal is level 3 or level 4. I hate the idea of all that wasted resources of using a high percent portal profit when the portal is low level. Also, once you get to chapter 12+ and have to make sentient goods, when you use a portal profit will matter less as you wait to save up enough of the sentient goods for research or for building/upgrading.

Deleted User - 3932582

My general rule, regardless of chapter, for portal profits is based on the level of my portal. Basically, the higher the level of the portal, the bigger the percent of a portal profit I am willing to use. So I will never use more than a 5% profit if my portal is still level 1. Maybe I will use a 10% if I am desperate for the materials provided to finish something. But otherwise I save the 10% for level 2 or higher portal, and 15% or higher portal profits for when my portal is level 3 or level 4. I hate the idea of all that wasted resources of using a high percent portal profit when the portal is low level. Also, once you get to chapter 12+ and have to make sentient goods, when you use a portal profit will matter less as you wait to save up enough of the sentient goods for research or for building/upgrading.
It depends on your playstyle. You're correct in saying that you're less efficient in using PPs when portal is below L4. However, this is just one side of the story. Another one is using PPs early to upgrade your portal/other production buildings allows you to reach your maximum settlement production efficiency much earlier. This means you're potentially saving a lot of PPs as your regular production is so much better much earlier.

This works especially well if portal upgrades need research goods. E.g. in Halflings by the time I activated farms and fields and started building those, my portal was already at L4. Upgrading portal via regular means requires non-trivial amounts from the whole production cycle - up to apple/L4 fields. Regular upgrades would take ridiculous amounts of time, during which you underproduce, potentially requiring more PPs.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I'm with MinMax. I started out refusing to use them in a low level building, but around (I think Halflings) I realized that I could use them to upgrade my portal early, which caused everything else to be more productive and resulted in a larger return on the other buildings, more than making up for getting less for the PP.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
What Ashrem said. Specifically for your situation, are you tech locked? If not, there is really no point in deploying PPs. And speaking of chapters - the next chapter for you - Sorcerers & Dragons - is basically designed for tech lock or using Portal Profits. Unless you have unusually low KP inflow (no tournaments, no KP buildings etc), there are just not enough apprentices in the Wisdom Square to sustain the pace that you can hit otherwise. And there is nothing you can do about it (i.e. no amount of extra space or resources will impact that). The only solution is either wait, or use PPs. I believe I used more than 300% worth of PP there, and barely escaped tech lock. S&D is the worst chapter that I've seen so far in this regard, so I'd probably save PPs until then.

I did S&D before portal profits and completed it in maybe 3 or 4 months. I do not remember exact numbers.

kctanzen

I take a different view -- I prefer slower to faster (which PP ultimately makes happen) ... slower lets me dump more KP into key military wonders, somewhat keeping pace with the required squad sizes that come each chapter. I sure wish I had a stash during S & D though ... that was almost too slow for even my patience and I would have bit the bullet on that one.

Using them is a very unique situation -- play style / speed desired / fellowship trading resources / competitiveness etc.
There is no right or wrong answer .. just different ways of getting to a point requiring a different amount of time and other resources on the way.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
30 seems like a lot, but that's only a 150% of your total capacity. If you use 20-30% each time, it will be gone soon.

DeletedUser18011

Thanks for that - I haven't made it to Sorcerers and Dragons so it looks like it might be good holding on to my Portal Profits. I'm in tech-lock now but getting there and loading up on my Wonders when I need to do something with my knowledge points.