• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Whats your view on human nature

what kind of person do you think you are?(pick the two you more closely relate to)

• Selfish

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • helpful

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • kind

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • smart

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • loving

• couragous

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • calculating

• cold

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • whimsical

• funny

• Total voters

DeletedUser20951

Thinking about sleep deprivation has me thinking about those who say they love to sleep, a claim that has never failed to baffle me. I mean, I understand the necessity of it, how terrible it is for your health and cognitive function to not get enough sleep, but just how much fun are these strange beings having while unconscious? WHAT GRAND MYSTERY IS ALLUDING MY GRASP? I guess I should feel concern, not puzzlement, for someone who'd rather be dead to the world than awake, but, I don't know. I'm not ever unaware of the ominous ticking of the sand grains counting down to the snuffing of my candle, so I prefer to operate on as little sleep as possible without unduly suffering significant side-effects. Seems prudent to*.

*long-term, habitual sleep deprivation is linked to early death

DeletedUser20951

Huh, believe I may have stumbled upon what might be a few of the best thought-provoking (and likely rage-inducing for... some) quotes regarding the nature of racism.

"Why are so many Americans insisting that racism requires conscious, malicious intent in order for the title to be earned?"

PREACH. Why is this now a thing? Most racism is offhanded.

"Make no mistake: Denying racism or refusing to call it out is also racist. You cannot claim to be egalitarian and anti-racism and choose to be closeted among family and friends or even in your community for fear of rejection and ostracism, or as is often used as an excuse, to keep the peace.

There is no peace for the targets of racism, so your choosing of personal comfort and the comfort of racists supports the commission of racial injury."

This especially speaks to me, as I constantly challenge the casual racism prevalent in my small conservative town and it's definitely not easy to keep up, given how it's simply accepted because so many share the same views, pat themselves on the back as they crack racist jokes, and reaffirm their bigotry with solidarity, in a screwed up form of brotherhood that they vehemently deny is harmful or based on the dehumanization of other human beings. This has long appeared to be the crux of the matter; it isn't hatred, but the camaraderie that sustains and protects the doctrine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/21/opinion/trump-racism.html

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@LEH.elven CHAOS?! CHAOS!!?? IS THAT NOT THE HUMAN CONDITION? to forever be trapped in the cycle of life and death looking for meaning in a world with out meaning? to hope and pray to nothing but air thinking their GOD is real? WELL IF THEIR GOD IS REAL THEN WHY WOULD HE CARE? Why would a god give a second look at such a failed species??!!! ANSWER ME!!!!! But yah we are a bit crazy am I right :) hope you have fun here and don't do anything I would do:p

Chaos or not, that is the question. To see reality as a series of effects -- predictable by probabilities derived from the aggregate of similar cases or to see each and every case completely predictable based upon a complete knowledge of cause and effect. Two possibilities, both useful and both implying a significant response to being alive.

Chaos is not chaotic but if it is we can predict it's direction only as possibilities -- some of which are more probable than others. Every event can be measured this way so long as we have a significant number of similar events and have observed what appears to lead to what enough times to establish the probability of each of the available outcomes. This is the basis of the second level of scientific inquiry, the first being anecdotal observations). Once we establish the probability of outcomes we can then proceed to the third stage of scientific inquiry, which is the non-chaos, cause-effect level.

This third level seeks to answer why specific effects come from specific causes. It is explaining the "why" of the probability matrix by reducing the effects to the laws governing the physical universe. It seeks to derive 100% certainty that X will lead to Y because we know why X leads to Y as a set of laws. Those laws are, ultimately physical to the scientist, and our progress toward understanding them continues both down -- into the sub-atomic -- and up into the cosmological. The point is, science is driven to eliminate chaos by determining what causes what and why.

All of which leads to the question of one of the non-warranted premises of science, namely that all causes are within the physical universe and all effects can be explained by the physical laws of the universe. This is, of course, a necessary condition of the scientific process and is understood the minute you ask a question. When you say, "why does this seem to lead to that," the scientist will set up all sorts of measures and tests, all of which assume "this leads to that" because of universal and (eventually) knowable laws of physics (a subset of which are the various groups of chemical, social, linguistic, etc... laws). This assumption is, of course, not provable since it, by necessity, postulates what cannot be fully tested, what the philosophers called a "closed universe."

The closed universe assumption upon which science is built cannot be tested or proved though it can be dis proven (here I speak of a possibility, not that it may or may not have been so). To do so one would merely need to find an event which cannot be explained, now or ever, by the physical laws of nature. In doing so one would prove the universe to be open.

Now an open universe implies something or someone "outside" -- taken metaphorically of course -- who or which could effect things "inside" the physical universe. Science cannot account for such an event and would, out of the assumption previously stated -- either ignore the event as so unlikely that the time needed to discern if it actually happened or not would be wasted (i.e. David Hume's argument against miracles), or seek to offer an counter, physics based, explanation.

The first question this raises is why do some people believe the universe is open (i.e. usually theists who "pray to nothing but air"). Scientists, stuck in their closed universe model will reduce, by necessity, the belief to a delusion. No matter what a person may say about it, science declares anything "proving" the universe is open, to be delusion. The delusion may be due to tricks, ignorance, desire, or whatever, but it will be delusion and has to be since the universe, being closed, cannot have anything "outside" it.

The second question is why do scientists think the universe is closed? The problem is, they don't. I mean they don't "think" the universe is closed because they very, very seldom consider the question and when they do they simply discount any "evidence" (used loosely as referring to anything bought to bolster an argument), and carry on. In some ways they enact Ocam's razor -- the simplest explanation of an event is usually the right one -- and see the physical explanation as the simplest and therefore probably the right one.

The third question is why anybody is surprised that some people conclude that the theist prays "to nothing but air." We live in a culture (here I speak of the Western culture, specifically) which followed Descartes line of reasoning to disbelieve anything one could find any reason to disbelieve -- or to put it in the positive context -- to believe only that which one has to believe because one cannot find a way to disbelieve it. This "radical skepticism" eventually leads Hume to his conclusion (see above) and becomes the bedrock of both science and society. We are skeptical not by nature but by our cultural influences.

All of which brings us to the idea of skepticism in general. Most people cannot live as true radical skeptics. If you think about it, it's a philosophy of fear. The skeptic is afraid of being "taken in," or appearing "the fool" for his or her beliefs and thus sets up a strong barrier to belief -- but it's only a strong barrier to believing in an open universe. To science almost all skeptics hold dearly as the final arbitrator of what is real and what is not seldom realizing that such a comittment bind them to the unspoken premise described above. They are, I hope inadvertently, "taken in." Irony abounds.

As I said, most people cannot live as radical skeptics. They cannot because they feel the need for assurance that their lives are simply dust and ashes but they have some significance. The need for self-actualization is part, I think, of the human psyche. So when they encounter the closed universe model they grasp how it signifies insignificance and they reject it. Need drives them to the "felt" conclusion (most never do the hard work of logical examination of their beliefs) they conclude the universe is open and thus that when they "pray to the air" their prayers may be going somewhere else.

It is interesting that both the radical skepticism of Descartes and the rejection of miracles by David Hume are rooted in a confusion between psychological probability and mathematical probability. Descartes begins with the psychological need for certainty and comes to "I think therefore I am" (or philosophically speaking, action requires the presence of an agent or actor) and Hume assumes the probability of a miracle so low that he need not bother investigating the claim but has no mathematical measures of the probability of a miracle and thus relies on his own psychological sense of the probabilities. Descartes won't believe anything unless he's compelled by a 100% probability (deductive reasoning) and Hume draws the conclusion of 100% falsity because he is nearly 100% psychologically convinced against miracles.

Finally, it is also interesting to find people making the same errors today. They want things either 100% proved (and usually this means they want 100% psychological proof, not mathematical) or they assume 100% that the thing is not proved and thus they have no need of it.

Just some thoughts on chaos, probability and all that.

AJ

DeletedUser19483

man guys what I was saying to LEH.elven was nothing more than random blather I thought up while trying to prove LEH.elven's point......and also WHY IS THAT RANDOM BLATHER GETTING MORE RESPONSES THAN WHAT I NORMALLY SAY!!!!!????? wait don't answer that.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I'm not (officially speaking) responding to anyone in particular about why blather gets more response. No, I am not!

That is all.

AJ

DeletedUser

And some people believe they've been abducted by Aliens. Talk about blather...

DeletedUser

Alien is just another word for stranger. so one could argue that most abduction victims were abducted by aliens. Since few people abduct their friends.

DeletedUser19483

Alien is just another word for stranger. so one could argue that most abduction victims were abducted by aliens. Since few people abduct their friends.
Atlashimmelbaerer you would consider us friends right?....... just asking......

DeletedUser

You do realize that I was referring to these Aliens, right?

grey.jpg

DeletedUser20951

The Baffling Hubris of Attempting to Command the Emotional Response of Another
It's amazing to me how common this practice is. There are individuals who genuinely welcome being told what to feel, or, rather, being told how to pretend to feel, as emotions, while constrainable, are rarely pressed to authentic change by a direct order without adequate stimuli to provoke the specific result. Regardless of whether forcing an affected mood is impossible, unlikely, possible, or probable, I certainly believe it is inadvisable during any interaction meant to contain even a hint of respect. Unless one's intent is to be insulting and condescending, that is exactly what presuming to know better on how someone else should react internally to subjective material is. My unbendingly negative view on this violation of personal self-regulation is no doubt a byproduct of a childhood where my mental autonomy was under constant threat, where what I wanted and how I felt was consistently ignored, diminished in favor of what outside authorities deemed was of greater worth to them through me as their puppet, but I don't think my stance is overstated, simply perceived with more acuity to the damaging, and often unnoticed, effects. Telling another that their feelings are irrational, worthless, and/or false is a bid to land a blow on their core self, and why I find it utterly contemptible.

Vergazi

Telling another that their feelings are irrational, worthless, and/or false is a bid to land a blow on their core self, and why I find it utterly contemptible.
This is a rather absolute assertion. I would have no problem telling various historical figures they are irrational, worthless or false human beings. That is, assuming I was still able to move and talk and free enough to express my own ideas. And it goes without saying that any such words would be themselves pointless...and no doubt last words before an ignominious death.

edited for grammar...yes, yes, must have good grammar!

DeletedUser20951

I would have no problem telling various historical figures they are irrational, worthless or false human beings.
Well, yeah, but that's not the same thing as telling 'em how to feel; you'd be telling 'em how you feel, and I think that's completely A-okay. XD

Vergazi

Telling another that their feelings are irrational, worthless, and/or false is a bid to land a blow on their core self, and why I find it utterly contemptible.

I would have no problem telling various historical figures they are irrational, worthless or false human beings.

Well, yeah, but that's not the same thing as telling 'em how to feel

Telling a person you believe they are wrong is not the same as telling them how to feel. Put differently, If I were to travel back in time and tell Adolph that his paintings suck and he gets mad or sad...I couldn't care less. Having said that, negative reaction to his artistic aspirations arguably led to a whole lot of troubles, to say the least. So, I generally keep silent unless I consider it a hill worthy of dying on. If this makes no sense then I blame sleep deprivation in all it's glory.

DeletedUser20951

Telling a person you believe they are wrong is not the same as telling them how to feel.
Uh, is there actually a disagreement here, or are you agreeing while still sounding like you're disagreeing? Because that's exactly what I said.

Vergazi

I'll stand by what I said. If what I say is confusing to you then when I read some of your posts we have something in common. Perhaps we just have a failure to communicate and should just leave it at that.

DeletedUser20951

If what I say is confusing to you then when I read some of your posts we have something in common.
I was trying to identify the miscommunication, which I believe to be in comparing two different things, or, at least, what I view as very different things; appraising actions, deeds, and words versus attempting to subjugate the personal feelings of others. I have no problem with telling someone I think what they do or have done is wrong, nor with challenging their opinions (obviously), but the urge to censor their emotional response is beyond my comprehension, even if I find it abhorrent.

DeletedUser20951

Oh hey, thought of an example to better explain what I mean. How do you react to the assertion of, "You're being too sensitive."? Do you think I, or anybody else besides yourself, has the right to determine your own personal level of sensitivity?