• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Spire?

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
i'm liking it better than originally
it is ridiculously easy to cater the first level if a bit expensive
i don't mind getting the crafting items and some small timers
i wish i had better luck on the prizes i really want, like armorer
i did get a magic res
tier two is rough
tier three is still too expensive either fighting or catering

so i lean towards like but nowhere close to love

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I'm liking it for a whole different reason than expected. And I would caution anyone that if you play this thing like I do, it's going to cost you. I'm now putting my budget of ~$20/mo for this game mostly into the Spire in my biggest city. I spend diamonds to push troops through specifically for the Spire as well as for reducing cool-down times on the gates so I can use my time boosters for regular game play/events/etc. I don't buy magic bldgs (yet; I could change my mind in the future) and I've bought all the premium expansions I intend to buy in that city as well. I'm looking at the Spire as sort of a separate mini-game I play just to see if I can beat it there.
Though I started out this game not fighting at all, I eventually came around and actually like the fights. Huge surprise; never played any kind of combat games. That may be an advantage as I don't have anything I can compare to the battles in this game. I ended up looking at it as a very complicated form of chess; yeah, I know. :rolleyes: at myself, lol. But the general province and tournament battles have become repetitious. I like trying out different troops on manual, but it takes forever, so now I mostly auto-fight on the map and tourneys.
So, I like the challenge of the different composition of enemy units in the Spire. I also like the challenge of the multi-wave fights; whole new twist there. And with 4 chests between gates, I have the time to manually fight everything as long as I schedule myself properly. I have now successfully finished it in my Constructs city for the 3rd week in a row. I play through the 2nd boss in my other (Woodelves) city. Started playing it just through the 1st gate or 2 there for the mystery chests, but as I get better at the fights from doing more in the bigger city, I've stretched a bit in the smaller one.
My primary reason for playing is NOT the rewards. But I've noticed I'm having less issues with keeping CC spells in stock in this city. I have 2 full sets placed in my city (one is a temp use of available space) with at least one more full set in inventory. Additionally, I have enough gumdrop and mana trees in inventory to build a forest. I have 1 Genie placed; 3 in inventory. I have 3 Dwarven Armorers (last week I was doing a happy dance when I finally got my first Dwarven Armorer; this week I got one in each of the first 2 mystery chests I opened early in stage 1, go figure). I have not gotten a Trading Station yet, and I didn't get any of the magic bldgs that just came out this week either. So, though I don't play it for the rewards, it looks like the available prizes do come if you play it consistently.

qaccy

@mikeledo Not really. After the first two weeks of the Spire I already had a full Moonstone Library set and I only did level 1 both weeks. Now, I haven't seen a single set piece since then so I'm still subscribed to 'random is random'.

As for the 'poll', I don't really get most of the choices. So I'll say that level 1 is generally fine, and anything past that is a waste of resources. Are the rewards still the same for each encounter on all three levels with the exception of the final encounter for each?

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
With the phoenix for added troop damage, and now the brown bear to help replenish troops faster (cheaper), it isn't as bad as when it was first brought out. I see why they made it as hard as they did at first because they knew they were going to have the bears coming to help in this event.
Edited to say I still only do two levels of the Spire because the third level still needs either way better prizes for the effort or a lot less difficulty in troops and goods to make it worth while in my opinion!

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I like the spire yes. in some periods more than others. when im stuck in building and/or research there really isnt much to spend all my coins and supplies on so there its a welcome black hole to put it into. and happen to win good prizes that keep my MA going indefinitly! while im in building phases i hardly do anything at all though.
And @samidodamage place those genies! they dont have expiration dates right!? so no reason to hold onto them :)!

Mykan

Oh Wise One
It has potential, but is still hit and miss.
  • Round 1 is good and 2 isn't too bad but 3 is just crazy considering the same prizes as first 2 levels
  • Randomness makes it tough depending on your luck. I have one town that basically only ever gets spell fragments from spire, which I don't need, and the odd timer that is nice. While I have another town with so many of the same set pieces it is ridiculous, but still missing half the set.
  • Other part of randomness is the bonus chests. If you get 1 or 2 per map it can really help, but if your unlucky you get none for first 2 maps and it just feels more costly. Getting more than 2 and your laughing, even if you roll the cheap prizes.
  • Prizes vary in use depending on a persons game and stage of development. Spell fragments to me are as useful as an 11th broken shard for one town but on another town they are very handy. This means some weeks you threw away your troops and goods for nothing and others you got an ok return on investment.
I don't think it needs any major change but some minor tweak would be good.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
place those genies!
:D
Like @WolfSinger said, they expire after 100 days. I've decided to make a 'Spire Corner' in my city. It's going to be easier to do once I get my next expansion, but it will take up 2 expansions. I expect to keep a Genie there as well as one full Spire Set. I expect to place other Spire bldgs in unused areas of my city from time to time (like the extra full Set I have right now). I just don't think the bldgs are powerful enough to commit more real estate to them.

Black watch

Anybody else notice when there is a high percentage of getting a lousy prize, you get it and when there is a low percentage of getting a lousy prize, you still get it?

Yeah, actually the last two times I've run through the spire up through the second level, I've thought, "Gee, what are the odds that happens..." I laugh at myself then and shrug. Yeah, seems a little weird to me too.

Black watch

I've noticed a sticking of the odds, too. My other city gets almost nothing but Catalysts, while this one rakes in fragments, which has remained the same since the Spire was released.

I tend to think of it as abstract 'facts'....At any rate, you are not the only one to notice such 'abnormalities' in the algorithims OR, lack there of!

It's funny that when something needs to be random, it generally isn't with INNO.
That Autumn Event was full of random that WASN'T, by a long shot.
The percentages are posted for the spire rewards, and this last time it came around and was rock solid right on the highest percent for each item for me. But before that, it was very funny... and not in a good humorous way.
Of course, now that I have the set, it keeps giving me fragments when I need CCs. I like the set, don't get me wrong... but I'm swimming in fragments now and no real way to sustain crafting at the rate I'm using CCs. I also want more Pet Food, but people in Hell want ice water too.

Perhaps the devs have some sort of algorithm that is designed to irritate the crap out of us?