• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The Elvenar!

Deleted User - 1599294

so it looks like it is the way they are programmed into elven architect
Elven Architect seems to agree with the Wiki. For example, a Level 18 Elven Barracks is listed as 4x7 in the wiki and Eleven Architect; its orientation matches the shown orientation of Atelier, Factory, and Agriculture. The vault is 6x4 and matches orientation to the Herds Gathering also 6x4.

Deleted User - 3932582

It really depends on what you consider x and y axis. Elvenarchitect allows to rotate the map 90 degrees for that reason, though it seems that most people consider mountains to be the top (north) of the map, and general convention in reading dimensions is WxH (W - width, H - height), hence 4x7 is indeed vertical.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Elven Architect seems to agree with the Wiki. For example, a Level 18 Elven Barracks is listed as 4x7 in the wiki and Eleven Architect; its orientation matches the shown orientation of Atelier, Factory, and Agriculture. The vault is 6x4 and matches orientation to the Herds Gathering also 6x4.

The problem is that in-game a 4x7 is 4 vertical and 7 horizontal and a 7x4 is 7 vertical and 4 horizontal and all this has them the wrong way.

I have never used elven architect for any of my city planning, and now that I see it takes the diagonal layout of the city in-game and rotates everything the wrong way for my perception, it looks like I will continue to not use it. lol

WolfSinger

I think the problem is that when you go into elvenarchitect - it is set up so it matches your screen - it is oriented so it is straight. But, when you go into the game - the grid is actually on a 45 degree tilt so you have a corner pointing down at the bottom of the screen - this creates a slightly skewed difference in looking at a setup on elvenarchitect versus setting it up in your city.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
It really depends on what you consider x and y axis. Elvenarchitect allows to rotate the map 90 degrees for that reason, though it seems that most people consider mountains to be the top (north) of the map, and general convention in reading dimensions is WxH (W - width, H - height), hence 4x7 is indeed vertical.

I go by what I learned in math classes. And it took me a while to get that this game did its dimensions opposite of what is the norm for height and width. The first number in the dimensions in-game is always the height and the second number is always the width. lol

So I go by the picture of the building in-game and what the game lists as the dimensions. It the game shows a building with the long side horizontal and says the building is 4x7, then the width is 7, and that is how it works for me.

Last edited:

Deleted User - 3932582

I go by what I learned in math classes. And it took me a while to get that this game did its dimensions opposite of what is the norm for height and width.
No, it's does not. It really depends on what you consider height and what width. You seem to be convinced that height is the dimension that runs perpendicular to the cliffs. You're not wrong, but one can consider dimension parallel to the cliffs to be height, and it works just as well. This view is consistent with dimension reading convention in the game, and is the one that Elvenarchitect adopts by default (even though it can be changed).

WolfSinger

The problem is that in-game a 4x7 is 4 vertical and 7 horizontal and a 7x4 is 7 vertical and 4 horizontal and all this has them the wrong way.

I have never used elven architect for any of my city planning, and now that I see it takes the diagonal layout of the city in-game and rotates everything the wrong way for my perception, it looks like I will continue to not use it. lol

I just went into my city (and using the general convention of Mountains as North) a 1x2 marble manufactory would be 1 wide or horizontal and 2 high or vertical. Again because the game has the grid on a 45 degree angle off horizontal on the screen - that does create a slight perception issue.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I had added this as an edit to my last post, but both of you replied while I was doing that, so I will make it a new post instead:

"Edit: and apparently, I am the only person, plus the makers of the game, who looks at their city and mentally rotates it to the right to make it level, while everyone else, and elven architect, rotate it to the left to make it look level."

When I rotate my city to be level, or square, the Spire is due north for me, because I rotate to the right, or clockwise, not the left, or counterclockwise. This makes the pictures of the buildings, and their listed dimensions, match up for me.

WolfSinger

BTW: This is from Elvenarchitect's FAQs

I often get bug reports on buildings being the wrong size or orientation. This is often because of the way the player perceives the in-game map.

Problem:
Due to the game's isometric view, it creates a difference of opinion on which way is actually North. Some players say it is where the mountains are, while others believe it is where the forest lies. Unfortunately, both opinions can't be right and according to the game true North is where the mountains are.

Another consideration is a building's size, which is measured by Width x Length. So a building whose size is 4x3 is 4 tiles wide and 3 tiles long.

Solution:
Those who subscribe to the alternative North need not despair nor have to adjust.

In the Settings menu, click the Rotate button.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
BTW: This is from Elvenarchitect's FAQs

I often get bug reports on buildings being the wrong size or orientation. This is often because of the way the player perceives the in-game map.

Problem:
Due to the game's isometric view, it creates a difference of opinion on which way is actually North. Some players say it is where the mountains are, while others believe it is where the forest lies. Unfortunately, both opinions can't be right and according to the game true North is where the mountains are.

Another consideration is a building's size, which is measured by Width x Length. So a building whose size is 4x3 is 4 tiles wide and 3 tiles long.

Solution:
Those who subscribe to the alternative North need not despair nor have to adjust.

In the Settings menu, click the Rotate button.

Even if that is the official choice made by the developers, it is still annoying that they chose to rotate counterclockwise, rather than the more proper clockwise, with the map. Maybe the person working on the game who made this decision was from the Southern Hemisphere where that would be the norm. lol

WolfSinger

Except none of these dimensions are height. It's Length x Width.

Thanks Ashrem

If you look at it as Length x Width - the numbers work with the Spire as North. If you look at it as Width x Length - the numbers work with the Mountains as north.

I always assumed Mountains to the North so I look at the size of the buildings based on that orientation.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Except none of these dimensions are height. It's Length x Width.

My computer screen is not laying flat, it is vertical, so it is height to me. Maybe if I did all my playing on a tablet laying flat on a table, I would say length instead. But for me, in this game, those two are the same, since we are not dealing with actual 3D model dimensions.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
We can each think of the dimensions however we like, that's our right. But in a pseudo-3D game, when interacting with other people, there has to be an agreement on what constitutes Height, Length and Width. The programmers have chosen top right as north. Complaining that it's wrong when other people follow that convention is not particularly useful or rational.

As for equating the tallness of a building with length because your monitor is vertical, I've got nothing to respond.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Then explain why the photo and picture frame industries use width and height, and not width and length, to measure a flat object. Is it because it will be displayed vertically?
A picture in a frame is not a layout, or blueprint, or anything of the kind. Whether it is on your Monitor or a sheet of paper does not change how the vast majority of English speaking people refer to the dimensions of a building. As I said before, you are welcome to think of it how ever you like. Complaining about a free layout and a free tool provided by other people because it uses the same dimensional references as the game developers seems off. Expecting other people to acquiesce to an an insistence that the length or width of a building is actually it's height because one's monitor is vertical similarly hints at placing one's own opinions a bit higher than is warranted.

k777

Feels like they're trying to weed out free and maybe even small $ players. I have never had any trouble with any other chapter - have never needed more than a couple of months. Constructs took me 2 months. Now we LEAP to the feeling it's impossible to get enough space to ever build enough settlement to get through this one in less than 2 or 3 years AND have the AWs that are so helpful for tourney & spire fighting. Should have let us have a few more province expansions, certainly more than 1. I keep 20 or more wishing wells going at all times for the diamonds so I can buy premium expansions, but I'm at 4300 now for the expansion, and that always goes up for each succeeding one ofc (always wait for that 10% off thing), but it's probably 6 months now for me to get 1 expansion. If we could portal AWs & things like merc camp and ESPECIALLY evolve bldgs, that would help a great deal - I do wish they'd change that.

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
If we could portal AWs & things like merc camp and ESPECIALLY evolve bldgs, that would help a great deal - I do wish they'd change that.

They have made it clear they don't intend to do this due to technical difficulties with the combination of levels and chapters for those buildings.

I feel sorry for f2p players. I stopped playing my town back in amuni and even there I was basically down to 1 normal and 1 sentient factory of each boost. With a bunch of wonders for military and space was very tight. I would hate to think what I would have to do on that town to get through ch 15, potentially be forced to drop all normal factories which would have its own issues.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Which would make the north-south canals run in the east-west direction.

Yeah, it is all sorts of weird for players like me who rotate the map clockwise, instead of counterclockwise, the way the devs decided to do it. At least it was pointed out that elven architect acknowledges that people do it both ways and you can map your city with either orientation. I will not stop rotating clockwise, because that is how my brain sees it, but I will not force that view on people who prefer the official opposite way.

And for the actual chapter, I managed to make room for the portal and six academies, without having to delete or teleport any big buildings. Upgrading the last of the six to level 2 currently, so now just to figure out how long it will take me to make all the Ideas and Workforce needed to complete the research for the three middle buildings, as some people like to call them.