• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Providences and Sentinels

Risen Malchiah

So I've noticed a few players call provinces "providences" and sentient goods "sentinel goods." After the first person said it, I just figured they misspoke, but it happens often enough that I wonder how widespread this may be. Anyone encounter this?

I've also never corrected anyone who uses these terms since I find it amusing. :p

DeletedUser20951

I've noticed the "providence" mix up for a long time, but, until Elvenar, I didn't come across the usage of "sentient" very often in a casual setting, although the proper "sentinel" was fairly common for me before that. I only correct my own spelling mistakes... unless I'm trying to start a fight. XD

Risen Malchiah

Perhaps equally amazing to me is that I will often use sentient or province in chat with people who use the alternate terms and they never seem to notice that others are using a different word. After a year of typing providence while everyone else is typing province, you'd think they'd notice.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Perhaps equally amazing to me is that I will often use sentient or province in chat with people who use the alternate terms and they never seem to notice that others are using a different word. After a year of typing providence while everyone else is typing province, you'd think they'd notice.
Our brains are very good at making recognizable patterns out of near-misses. They may also be assuming you are doing it wrong, but are too polite to say anything.

Pheryll

Set Designer
They may also be assuming you are doing it wrong, but are too polite to say anything.

While Elvenar translations and language usage are not the best (the staff in Q&A videos even talked about the Golden Abbess and Tomb of Secrets) there are many things they do correctly, and they may well be more competent in English than the average player that speaks the language. Politeness is a good trait, but when it covers ignorance, then politeness is only shielding yourself.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Politeness is a good trait, but when it covers ignorance, then politeness is only shielding yourself
I'm completely unclear what point that is making? You think they might be not mentioning the spelling because they aren't sure what is correct and aren't willing to either ask or check any of the half dozen places it appears in game?

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I gave up on expecting correct vocabulary from people when a year or so ago Kim Jong Un called Trump a dotard and every newsman pronounced it " dough tard"
So even though I often cringe at the there/thier type mistakes I see here or on Facebook
Or things like, "For all intensive purposes," I let them go
Although, I must say, when people talk like that I tend to dismiss whatever they are saying
Don't expect me to believe you are an expert on international trade when you just said that you "have boughten a new car" or that "I seen it with mine own eyes."