• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Neighborly help changed?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Ashrem, you are a member of the Beta community. It was on the Beta boards that the team posted the details of how they would be using live for further testing. They stated that the Beta population was not sufficient for weeding out all the bugs. They gave all these details before they starting rolling out these sample implementations. Please read up on this, instead of spreading rumors about how diamond analysis is involved.
I have frequently expressed the opinion that there is an obvious disconnect between what the developers tell us and the truth. They manage to scrape by with the beta server for the vast majority of changes. The small number of changes they've chosen to partially-distribute to live servers have mostly been either to mobile players (which is unsurprising, since mobile players are probably a lower population than is ideal for testing) or things that have a likelihood of changing the way players interact with the game (and, therefore, their bottom line)

I am not now, nor have I ever claimed insider knowledge of what the developers are up to. I'm, by nature, an analytical person and I think these part-player-base tests are more to do with how we spend than with looking for bugs. Your assertion that I'm spreading rumours is unjustified, and I reject it out-of-hand.

Eh, the Beta server for this game has never felt like a true Beta test version of a game. Everyone there just seems to play the game like normal and if things happen to glitch or bug out, then they do. Are any of the Beta players actually pushing the code and testing it in ways the devs did not expect?
Enough to catch major issues. And in the past they've shown little interest in worrying about whether minor issues get to live.

Pheryll

Set Designer
I have frequently expressed the opinion that there is an obvious disconnect between what the developers tell us and the truth.

This statement is correct, but that does not mean that you have been correct in your analysis. There have been many times in which you have spread fabrications when the developer's statements were proven correct. One such example is when you claimed that the /who functionality was removed because of legal ramifications including susceptibility to hacking.

They manage to scrape by with the beta server for the vast majority of changes. The small number of changes they've chosen to partially-distribute to live servers have mostly been either to mobile players (which is unsurprising, since mobile players are probably a lower population than is ideal for testing) or things that have a likelihood of changing the way players interact with the game (and, therefore, their bottom line)

The claim the Elvenar staff has repeatedly made regarding the difference in features between browser and mobile (which does go both ways, for instance AW donations to other players) is that browser and mobile are programmed differently and their abilities to program in each platform is different. That said, the mobile quick visit feature appeared long before they even considered doing partial browser tests on live.

I am not now, nor have I ever claimed insider knowledge of what the developers are up to. I'm, by nature, an analytical person and I think these part-player-base tests are more to do with how we spend than with looking for bugs. Your assertion that I'm spreading rumours is unjustified, and I reject it out-of-hand.

Enough to catch major issues. And in the past they've shown little interest in worrying about whether minor issues get to live.

You are making claims that the developer's account is false. Analytical people would use data that demonstrates not only that your theory is correct but also that presents holes in the developer's claims. I have yet to see any data of this sort. And as long as you are making claims without showing any data, it is completely justified for others to accuse you of spreading rumors. The burden of proof does rest on you if you are calling the insiders liars.

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
This statement is correct, but that does not mean that you have been correct in your analysis. There have been many times in which you have spread fabrications when the developer's statements were proven correct. One such example is when you claimed that the /who functionality was removed because of legal ramifications including susceptibility to hacking.
Except that is a false claim. I didn't say it was, I said it could be one reason. And I said that because I had stated before that I feel it is intrusive already, and that making it more generally available via a visible online status would be an even greater intrusion into my privacy, and because it happened around the time that the European Privacy legislation was int he news. Pure specultation at every instance. There is nowhere that I said that is the reason they did it.

You are making claims that the developer's account is false. Analytical people would use data that demonstrates not only that your theory is correct but also that presents holes in the developer's claims. I have yet to see any data of this sort. And as long as you are making claims without showing any data, it is completely justified for others to accuse you of spreading rumors. The burden of proof does rest on you if you are calling the insiders liars.
The claim I'm making is that I don't trust them to tell the truth. I have more than three decades of experience with computer software that causes me to not trust any software developers to tell the truth. I'd be surprised if your experience is really so different from that.

What is it about my speculation that offends you so much? There are people on these forums weekly who are making far more outlandish speculative claims, or even outright statements-as-though-fact. What is it about my opinions that make you feel like you have to call them rumours and tell me not to say it?

shimmerfly

Speaking of nit picking...
does it bother anyone else that your player piece in the shrine. is on a platform and walks backwards or sideways to the chests?
It bugs the tinkle bread out of me! This should have been fixed!

oh no

Am I the wrong thread again?

Pheryll

Set Designer
I think this would be the elvenar essence of the elementals chapter, which is produced by any of the four manifestations.

Dervish1

Back to the original topic: it appears that while I was *seeing* the reward popup in the new visitation interface, it was so different from what I expected that I didn't realize the difference between a normal reward and the chest. In other words, it was a pure ID10T error.

Fayeanne

I will say that the pop-up that gives you the reward chest is a little plain and the fact that it has your name at the top makes it a bit confusing.

Granted, when I was a brand new player, the first time I saw the original reward pop-up (the one with the portrait and name of the owner of the city I was in, saying "Thanks for helping! Here's a gift for you,") I thought I was actually receiving something out of that person's stocks. (Thankfully that's not the case!)

So I suppose it could be taken to be a tad confusing either way. :)

Dervish1

Granted, when I was a brand new player, the first time I saw the original reward pop-up (the one with the portrait and name of the owner of the city I was in, saying "Thanks for helping! Here's a gift for you,") I thought I was actually receiving something out of that person's stocks. (Thankfully that's not the case!)

So I suppose it could be taken to be a tad confusing either way. :)
I sent the first person to give me a neighborly help a nice thank-you note for helping the newbie; I was under the same impression! ;)

NightshadeCS

He claims that it doesn't offer the best culture building.. smh . and he also says he isn't getting the help chest. I'm glad I didn't put in a support ticket.
If there isn't a bug, then it should offer the highest culture that is AVAILABLE (those that have been aided already by others cannot be aided again for a certain amount of time - 8 or more hours, usually).

Neither of my cities has gotten the new feature, but I am patient. I don't really care why they test these features on a subset of players. It causes some confusion, though, so it would be nice if they announced it in that handy section of the mail expressly for that purpose. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
If there isn't a bug, then it should offer the highest culture that is AVAILABLE (those that have been aided already by others cannot be aided again in the same 24-hour period).

The standard buff time when there are no wonders or anything else increasing the time is 8 hours, so the same building should be able to be polished roughly three times a day, by three different people. Now in my city, with different things increasing the polish times to lasting over 12 hours, my culture buildings can only be polished once or twice a day, depending on the time of day of the first polish. But if you coordinate with fellowship members, you could potentially keep your best culture buildings polished 24/7.

So while you cannot help the same person's culture building again for 24 hours, other people can.