• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

KP Sharing threads

truelinor

Just wondering how others view these? Do you receive the same amount of KPs that you put into them? Do you use your Ancient Knowledge Points on your own AWs or on others? Do you just randomly hand out KPs to any city you come across? Have you ever had a problem with the sharing threads? Does your fellowship do something else?

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
In one FS, we have had the threads for years. We're now up to 5 different thread amounts (5, 10, 15, 20, 30). I haven't seen a problem with the threads. The player after me donates the same amount to me that I donated to someone else. Sometimes it gets a little hairy when we have 2 of us posting/contributing at the same time, but we always work that out in chat. I use AWKP's in both ways (usually to finish off an AW where all the reward chests are taken), but sometimes put the regular kp into my own wonders there. It's a personal preference thing because I hate typing on mobile and if I have a full kp bar and no techs to use them in while I'm mobile, it's just easier to dump them in my own.
In the other FS we have a modified version of the Wonder Society explained on the Gems site. I really like the way this is done as the modifications enable us to credit players with extra kp who do more visits/week and who do more than the minimum in the tourney. Since that extra work benefits the FS, it's a great way to reward folks. We also make every effort to get all possible reward chests so that's more kp coming back into the FS as well. The spreadsheet is viewable by the everyone, and the spreadsheet managers are great about explaining stuff when we have questions. I never put any kp into my own wonders there (no typing in threads involved on mobile, yay!) But, it is a lot more work for the spreadsheet managers. I sometimes think we should give them some extra kp credits for all the work they do that makes it so easy on the rest of us.

truelinor

Thanks for your response, samidodamage. I appreciate it.

I haven't read about sharing KPs on elvengems - a Wonder Society, eh? I will have to look that up! Thanks!

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I have never had an issue with the threads in fellowships that have them. I give my AWKP's randomly to people whom I know are active in my neighborhood, generally for AW's that I need runes for, but also for their preferred. I have no idea about the return. I put them on my own as well. I generally save most of my AWKP's for the FA with the wonder society badges. I sometimes level my own in fellowships that are less active. I have no expectation of reciprocation except in the threads.

truelinor

I went and read about the Wonder Society and while reading it I realized that I had read it. (I thought I had gone all over that site!) I don't think it stuck with me because I don't understand how it works, even after reading about it. I don't understand the spreadsheet for sure! lol
I have no expectation of reciprocation except in the threads.
And that's what this thread is mainly about. I agree. I have no expectation of reciprocation except in the sharing threads. Have you ever had trouble there? If so, what did you do about it?

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Every so often a player will get skipped by mistake in ours. We normally work that out by either the player who did the skipping, or the player who received the out of turn contribution donating to the skipped player.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Normally the best way is by direct messenger. If you try to hash things out in the thread itself, you really muddy the waters and then nobody is sure whose turn it is because of all the extra messages.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I would never join a fellowship that tried to make these mandatory to be a member.
Agreed! Like @Henroo I was making an assumption that these are all voluntary, not required.
OK, if you are the one who was skipped, how do you go about doing that?
Definitely would keep it out of the swap thread itself. It might be best kept to a private msg, but I've never done it that way, have just posted in chat.
In the FS with the threads, many of us have been together over 3 years; none have been there less than 6 months, so way less chance of misunderstandings there and chat is a faster fix. It's usually posting at the same time, so we're usually both on right then and fix it right then. We've pretty much learned to post first, then go back and check the thread to make sure no one else posted, then go make the donation. That's also part of why it's easier to dump a full kp bar into my own AW when I'm mobile, lol! And I've been guilty as recently as this past week of moving too quickly, not re-checking the thread, making the donation and messing it up. The other member caught it, posted in chat, and we figured it out easily because the other member caught it before they made their donation.

T6583

Both of the FS I belong to have the threads. They're always optional. I've never had an issue with either. Like @samidodamage sometimes people hit at the same time and things get a bit hairy but again that's usually worked out in chat. We also allow players to post when they are close on finishing an AW in chat and there are rewards chests left. We ask that if this is done that players just donate 1 kp until all chests are taken.

DeletedUser9244

We have threads, they are optional and we haven't had an issue.
Some people prefer direct messages, but usually that occurs when there is a problem with a group thread and you would rather opt-out or work out a deal with specific players.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
The issue with determining whether or not you were skipped, would be that you would have to have a real time recording of the contributions. To my knowledge there is no way to access a real time list of contributions in the order that they happen. To be honest, I don't keep track of anything like that.

If you are unhappy with the swaps, don't participate and if it is a requirement of your fellowship, you should discuss that or find a different one. I'm not a fan of mandatory. The exception would be visits.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Just wondering how others view these? Do you receive the same amount of KPs that you put into them? Do you use your Ancient Knowledge Points on your own AWs or on others? Do you just randomly hand out KPs to any city you come across? Have you ever had a problem with the sharing threads? Does your fellowship do something else?
We have 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 50, and 100KP threads. I never put a KP into my own wonders, it's just not worth it. As you level your wonders, the multiplying effects of the chests mean that a single level might generate more than 100 KP in extra instants. I may well be lose a few kp once in a while to errors, but after a while it stops being worth worrying about. A bigger danger is not making sure all of those chests get used, since every un-taken chest represents KP that could have been growing your fellowship.

Kekune

We've reduced the risk of getting skipped by including in each message the name of the person we're donating to. It's extra typing, but does make it crystal clear when duplicate messages happen, so people are better at catching it before the donation also gets duplicated. Of course, nothing checks that the donation itself went where it was stated to be going.

Pros and cons, but it works for us.

Deleted User - 1178646

In one FS, we have had the threads for years. We're now up to 5 different thread amounts (5, 10, 15, 20, 30). I haven't seen a problem with the threads. The player after me donates the same amount to me that I donated to someone else. Sometimes it gets a little hairy when we have 2 of us posting/contributing at the same time, but we always work that out in chat. I use AWKP's in both ways (usually to finish off an AW where all the reward chests are taken), but sometimes put the regular kp into my own wonders there. It's a personal preference thing because I hate typing on mobile and if I have a full kp bar and no techs to use them in while I'm mobile, it's just easier to dump them in my own.
In the other FS we have a modified version of the Wonder Society explained on the Gems site. I really like the way this is done as the modifications enable us to credit players with extra kp who do more visits/week and who do more than the minimum in the tourney. Since that extra work benefits the FS, it's a great way to reward folks. We also make every effort to get all possible reward chests so that's more kp coming back into the FS as well. The spreadsheet is viewable by the everyone, and the spreadsheet managers are great about explaining stuff when we have questions. I never put any kp into my own wonders there (no typing in threads involved on mobile, yay!) But, it is a lot more work for the spreadsheet managers. I sometimes think we should give them some extra kp credits for all the work they do that makes it so easy on the rest of us.

We went back from that to 5, 10, 20, 50 in my FS,
You would be suprised how popular the 50 thread is.

The main reason for this is to allow 1 communication spot open for "other conversations" as we noticed that once a communication goed to page 2, it's often ignored. in a fellowship with a very high cycle rate, this move has been absolutely amazing for us

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
We have tried three ways to share KP between players for there AW's. We will be dropping the first two, and adding a fourth if I can get it all worked out.

KP swaps (as discussed above). We get 6 consistent players with these and usually they fade away after a few weeks at most. That's our fs and may not be the experience of other fellowships.

Wonder Wednesday. Every six months we generate a randomized list of players in our fs (all are included). Each week, on Tuesday we announce the target player and contribute whatever amount we wish to the players favorite AW. Generally speaking about 1/2 of the time it's enough to get it to the next level. 10-15 players on average each week put in between 5-40 KP, with the average probably 15 KP.

Shout Outs. We use Chat to announce when an AW we are working on has chests still unclaimed and is either 2/3 done (KP gathered so that no more than 1/3 is still needed for the next upgrade) or within 100 of the next upgrade, whichever is LESS We almost always claim the rest of the chests within an hour or two and finish the AW as well. We have about 15-20 members participate and, in fact, often find that if you don't jump in fast the thing is finished before you know it.

Similar to the Wonder Society, (and maybe even identical since though I've read it I'm still not completely clear on it), we are organizing AW Teams. We will take 5 players with 5 similar AW needs. Say 430 needed with 5 chests. Let's call the players A, B, C, D, and E. Player A has an AW with 430 needed and puts 215 on it (1/2 however long it takes). They then message the team (when the team is organized a msg is posted with the names, the AW's and the total needs). Upon reaching the 1/2 way mark the player calls for a "Pile on". Player B is responsible for 1/2 of the remaining (108), Player C for 1/4 of the remaining (54), Player D, 1/8 (27) and player E 1/16, (14). This always leaves a few but not enough to displace any of the other players. The totals are tracked by the Team Captain, and when the chests have been claimed it's Player B's turn. Once the rotation is complete the totals each gave are added up and if there is any significant problems adjustments can be made. I don't expect any significant problems is every one does what they are supposed to do. The only caveat is if others, outside the team, contribute anything significant -- that would have to be dealt with as it comes up. In any case we are still working out the details and getting ready to test it all. AND we don't know how difficult it might be to do it for other AW sizes/chest counts, etc.

Those are what we are doing, have done, will continue to do. The Shout Outs are the strongest thing we do at this time.

AJ

Last edited:

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
That sounds like a pretty good plan. I don't participate much in the swaps in any fellowships. I give to everyone once a week, to the wonder for which I need runes.

truelinor

To let everyone know - they are certainly not mandatory.
Thanks for everyone's input!
The issue with determining whether or not you were skipped, would be that you would have to have a real time recording of the contributions.

Not sure why you say you would have to have real time. If someone says they have given you 25 and there is only 10 on the AW, you would pretty much know that they didn't give you the whole 25, right?