• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Help! Orcs are coming...

LisaMV

I have decided I want to stay in Fairies forever, but the Lords of Elvenar have other plans... I am at the edge of the cliff refusing to put those last 3 KPs in:eek:.......
YES, I read elvengems already - but I want to know what you all learned from doing it, what you wish you had done, or what you did that worked great. I was fine w Dwarves & Fairies, but for some reason am terrified to get into this ~ and the 'forever orcs' thing of the future...o_O

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :oops:

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Building all the mushroom farms in the early stages of Orcs and doing some of the building upgrades is going to take a lot of supplies. I would make sure all of your workshops are fully upgraded before starting.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I powered my way through Orcs using portal profits earned in the spire (and also from the trading station, which I got in the spire). It didn't take me that long and it wasn't that hard. Yes, orcs are a pain, but you'll never be able to explore beyond ring nine if you don't have orcs, and exploring and meeting new good neighbors is fun. Just save as many portal profits as you can ... Orcs is the chapter I used most of them and I'm not sorry. I didn't have space for tons of mushroom farms and rally points. I confess I went through the whole chapter with only one rally point. Those things are humongous. I just never wanted to build that second one, even though I had a quest trying to force me to build it. Surprisingly, it wasn't the end of the world and I still got through the chapter in maybe 3 or 4 weeks. Love those portal profits! Good luck to you, Lisa.

LisaMV

I powered my way through Orcs using portal profits earned in the spire (and also from the trading station, which I got in the spire). It didn't take me that long and it wasn't that hard. Yes, orcs are a pain, but you'll never be able to explore beyond ring nine if you don't have orcs, and exploring and meeting new good neighbors is fun. Just save as many portal profits as you can ... Orcs is the chapter I used most of them and I'm not sorry. I didn't have space for tons of mushroom farms and rally points. I confess I went through the whole chapter with only one rally point. Those things are humongous. I just never wanted to build that second one, even though I had a quest trying to force me to build it. Surprisingly, it wasn't the end of the world and I still got through the chapter in maybe 3 or 4 weeks. Love those portal profits! Good luck to you, Lisa.
Wow, Darielle ~ this sure is a good antidote to my panic, thank you!
I heard nothing but complaints about Dwarves so I was prepared for horrors, and it was so much better than I expected. Fairies is just so gol-darned cute I didn't care about anything else they put me through.
It is nice to see options for how to get through this Orcs chapter, and you have given me lots. Thanks!

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@LisaMV You will still have to build some mushroom farms and 1 rally point in order to upgrade the portal. It will not hold enough to do some of the tech advances otherwise. Plus if you upgrade it early on, you will get a lot more of of each portal profit.

Kekune

Honestly, it's not that bad with PPs. It's ugly, and I don't like it compared to other chapters, but it's not the headache it must have been when it first came out. Just grit your teeth and you'll be fine, and Woodelves is a lovely thing to look forward to. :)

NightshadeCS

The ugliness REALLY put me off the first time through. The second time I hit Orcs, I thought of it as sort of comic-relief, so I didn't mind the appearance of the buildings. There are plenty of beautiful buildings coming up in chapters after Orcs, so just laugh at those ugly mugs and keep going.

As far as technical play, just build a ton of those mushroom farms, as many as you can squeeze in and upgrade them. Wait on the Rally Point until you have to (you may need one fairly early). At the end of the chapter, you can demolish a bunch of mushroom farms and squeeze in more Rally points to finish things off, if need be.

LisaMV

The ugliness REALLY put me off the first time through. The second time I hit Orcs, I thought of it as sort of comic-relief, so I didn't mind the appearance of the buildings. There are plenty of beautiful buildings coming up in chapters after Orcs, so just laugh at those ugly mugs and keep going.

As far as technical play, just build a ton of those mushroom farms, as many as you can squeeze in and upgrade them. Wait on the Rally Point until you have to (you may need one fairly early). At the end of the chapter, you can demolish a bunch of mushroom farms and squeeze in more Rally points to finish things off, if need be.
Thank you so much for this excellent advice and encouragement! I am a huge fan of Paul Stamets and everything he does, so I will lean into those mushroom farms with him in mind... :)
I just hit 'go' and all my fairy resources are gone, sadly. Put in a billion blossom streets first, though!
QUESTION = I never understand what I am supposed to do with all the fairy stuff ~ sell them now? Wait for a quest? So confusing...

Darielle

Wow, Darielle ~ this sure is a good antidote to my panic, thank you!
I heard nothing but complaints about Dwarves so I was prepared for horrors, and it was so much better than I expected. Fairies is just so gol-darned cute I didn't care about anything else they put me through.
It is nice to see options for how to get through this Orcs chapter, and you have given me lots. Thanks!
You are most welcome. I'm sure you'll be in Woodelves before you know it. That's what I'm in right now and it's so pretty. By the way, a tip for wood elves ... Don't listen to Elven Gems telling you to sell all culture and instead buy a whole bunch of Weeping Willows for both mana and culture. Once you're in Wood Elves, look in the MA to craft Festival Merchants instead. A weeping willow takes up 25 squares and gives 2800 mana in 15 hours with 3500 culture. Two festival merchants will give you 5400 mana in only 12 hours and take up 24 squares for both (12 each). While you'll only get 1200 culture in those two FMs, it's still worth it because you can add codexes that give 1600 points in 4 squares and still save a lot of space over weeping willows (although you might want them for prettiness; it's up to you. For me, space is a premium.) Those festival merchants are wonderful. I didn't want them in earlier chapters but I treasure them now. If you have enough RRs you might even want to start stocking up in Orcs and then upgrade them one chapter once you get to wood elves. Anyway, that's saving me space. Others may do it differently.

Darielle

@LisaMV You will still have to build some mushroom farms and 1 rally point in order to upgrade the portal. It will not hold enough to do some of the tech advances otherwise. Plus if you upgrade it early on, you will get a lot more of of each portal profit.
So true. I upgraded the rally point to level 3 before I started using PPs. I had plenty of them so for me it wasn't a problem and I didn't have to wait to upgrade to 4. The mushroom farms I think I went to level 3 on.

Darielle

Thank you so much for this excellent advice and encouragement! I am a huge fan of Paul Stamets and everything he does, so I will lean into those mushroom farms with him in mind... :)
I just hit 'go' and all my fairy resources are gone, sadly. Put in a billion blossom streets first, though!
QUESTION = I never understand what I am supposed to do with all the fairy stuff ~ sell them now? Wait for a quest? So confusing...
Your resources are not gone; you still have them except you can't see them anymore. Whatever you had left over you can still use to upgrade optional squad sizes research or to build blossom streets. You can only see the amount of resources you have for each current chapter, so it's a good idea to write it down somewhere so you'll know for later. (I know that doesn't help this time, but maybe next. )

Deleted User - 4646370

Another important thing : make sure you have leveled armories. In the beginning of orcs chapter you'll unlock armory upgrades that allow to produce orcs in armories. You'll need these orcs to produce orc settlement goods in rally points, upgrade workshops and later to cater in world map, tournaments and Spire.

AtaguS

If you liked fairies you will love woodelves. I got through Orcs by visiting my neighbors in future chapters and dreaming of the day...Think of the orcs as a right of passage! And I agree, build as many mushroom farms as you can squeeze and use your PPs and start getting your armories up to scratch. Here is a little preview of what awaits you in Woodevles on the other side of Orcs...soooo worth the journey!

Opera Snapshot_2020-08-05_091831_us2.elvenar.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2020-08-05_091931_us2.elvenar.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2020-08-05_092742_us2.elvenar.com.png

LisaMV

Your resources are not gone; you still have them except you can't see them anymore. Whatever you had left over you can still use to upgrade optional squad sizes research or to build blossom streets. You can only see the amount of resources you have for each current chapter, so it's a good idea to write it down somewhere so you'll know for later. (I know that doesn't help this time, but maybe next. )
WHAT?! Well, how on earth are we to know that?! My goodness... but thanks! I will make more stuff for those blossoms streets while I am waiting for the portal... :)

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Yep, your resources are still there. I am in Orcs now. Sadly, I did not stockpile enough goods at the end of Fairies and I used them all upgrading streets. So I can no longer make Blossom streets. I can still make Dwarven Streets using the stuff I stockpiled before leaving Dwarves.

Kekune

WHAT?! Well, how on earth are we to know that?! My goodness... but thanks! I will make more stuff for those blossoms streets while I am waiting for the portal... :)
As long as you have the portal, you can open it to see what it's holding. When you sell the portal, you won't be able to see it anywhere (unless you build the portal again).