• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Designing a city for catering

Iamaita

While I personally like to fight whenever I can, several members of my fellowship hate it and exclusively cater. I know there are other players who feel the same, many of them at high level. I was wondering if anyone could provide some tips and strategies for how to design your city and plan ahead to be able to sustain a catering only approach later in the game as costs go up. I know a lot of people would strongly advise against this approach, but if someone is determined that they want to play without using troops, how can they do it as successfully as possible?

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Iamaita As you have already noted, this kind of approach is not efficient and I do not recommend it. But if a player seriously wants to cater only then the most important thing to do is NOT upgrade barracks. This is one of the few buildings that can't be sold, so anytime you grow it in size or increase the population it takes then it is not reversible. Not building a Training Grounds or Mercenary Camp should also be obvious no-no's if a player insists on being catering only. Finally a player who wants to cater only is going to need lots of goods. They will need more manufactories in their city to make the goods, but equally as important is their boost levels. If you are going to cater only, you need to get to max boost level as soon as possible in order to increase goods production. And whenever a cater only player unlocks Mountain Halls, they need to jump on it and level it as soon as possible in order to further increase their boost levels beyond 700%.

GlamDoll

I would add perhaps consider 4 factories of each tier, if they want to have goods for The Spire too, to convince with. I don't think they will ever have enough with this strategy, unless the amount of participation is somewhat minimal...

They will need goods they can't craft as well.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I would add perhaps consider 4 factories of each tier, if they want to have goods for The Spire too, to convince with. I don't think they will ever have enough with this strategy, unless the amount of participation is somewhat minimal...

They will need goods they can't craft as well.
Are you talking about non-boosted factories? If so disagree with this. Making boosted only is the way to go. If you have a decent FS or even a few good neighbors you will always be able to trade boosted for the other 2 goods. And you will need to be as efficient as possible if you are going to go catering only. It will take a MASSIVE amount of goods to cater everything.

shimmerfly

Way too hard. I'm with @Henroo on this one. Once you get into higher chapters you will need more than you can make or trade for. You would be constantly collecting to keep up even 3 hour productions. And trading for the non boosted as well IMO anyway.....too difficult unless they're high diamond players.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I wouldn't want to do it, but it is possible even without being a heavy diamond spender. We have a 'never fights' member in Ch13-Amuni in one of my FS's.
They meet their personal goals of: average ~2000+pts in the tourney, rarely if ever play the first 4 encounters of the Spire. They are a daily player/daily visits to both FS and neighbors & an active trader as well as active in FA's. Speeding through chapters is not a priority for them; they've been playing a bit over 2 years and have been in the FS for almost as long as they've been playing.
They have 115 expansions placed. No magic bldgs, no evolving phoenix or bear bldgs. One stage 10 Golem and one stage 10 May Tree. Lvl 2 Magic Academy. 7 factories each (total of 21 regular goods factories) for their T1, T2, and T3 boosted goods. One S1 boosted factory and 2 S2 boosted factories. 34 houses and 6 workshops. All these factories/houses/workshops and Main Hall (lvl 29) are upgraded to max as soon as possible. Barracks lvl 5 (no Training Grounds or Merc Camp). One lvl 24 armory(produces the little green orc heads) and 2 lvl 4 armories (help with 'train troops' event quests). 5 AW's: Lvl 30 Mtn Halls, Lvl 29 Abyss, Lvl 13 Blooming Trader, Lvl 8 Elvenar Trade Center, Lvl 7 Crystal Lighthouse.
To me, this looks like a very difficult way to play, but they love their city and playing the game this way!

Aritra

Way too hard. I'm with @Henroo on this one. Once you get into higher chapters you will need more than you can make or trade for. You would be constantly collecting to keep up even 3 hour productions. And trading for the non boosted as well IMO anyway.....too difficult unless they're high diamond players.
Perhaps not a good idea, I'm still giving it a go. Haha! @Henroo and I have discussed that a bit and knows how stubborn I can be, even if it's irrational. Oh well. Maybe I'll give in later, maybe it'll be too late and I'll start over, but I'm stubbornly still pursuing this path of solo (non-FS) and no fighting. For now, it makes it harder than it needs to be but won't give in yet. Perhaps it won't be sustainable in higher chapters but 'tis the path I've chosen.

Aritra

@Aritra I am also building a manufacturing city. I am in chapter 4 now, so I have a while to go before it becomes a potential problem. Thx for starting the thread.
Not sure if you're thanking me or the OP (which isn't me). I'm just putting in my two cents (which people around here are learning I have a lot of, maybe too much) in support of the endeavor (though I haven't provided any tips for its success, just following my intuition and sometimes-inexplicable logic and I'll know if it worked when it works or not, but I support the attempt). :)

I'm in chapter 6, which is the first chapter that I felt really slow down. I'm a little scared of orcs chapter (I read ahead about what I could expect regarding land and production needs and got so overwhelmed, for a few hours there I wanted to just quit altogether), but I decided to just worry about that later and just keep on doing it how I want to do it and it will work or it won't and I can do it differently with a new city later (hopefully after I've finished this one, and not because I quit it). Time will tell. Perseverance or stubbornness, it doesn't matter. :cool:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
One could imagine, I think, a city with minimum military for quests and everything else geared toward producing what is needed to cater. And it could work for a pretty long time. My city wasn't built that way but I was a cater only player for the first two years. Even placed first in the tournament once catering entirely. But in the long run, when I got to about 50k pts I found it more and more difficult. So I switched. Now I negotiate the entire Spire and fight most of the tournament. I average about 4600 tournament pts per week and always finish the Spire. I think the balance is nice as the Spire doesn't drain my troops and the tournament doesn't drain my goods.

shimmerfly

Oh well. Maybe I'll give in later, maybe it'll be too late and I'll start over, but I'm stubbornly still pursuing this path of solo (non-FS) and no fighting. For now, it makes it harder than it needs to be but won't give in yet. Perhaps it won't be sustainable in higher chapters but 'tis the path I've chosen.
I 'm stubbornly still playing solo so I can relate. It's challenging but doable, and for me fun.
I' not saying a non fighting city can't be done but it will be taxing.

shimmerfly

@ajqtrz Sometime I don't like it and wish I had more help but when I choose a path I stick to it.
Call it obstinate then?

@Blue-Iris
Welcome! Not impossible but later in the game when the goods asked for increases, it will be more difficult with eacj chapter.

Aritra

USER=26925]@Aritra[/USER] could you keep us posted? Any snags you hit. You are not in a FS so no tourney? What about spire?

This was a month ago but just realized I never answered (I was revisiting the thread, trying to remember who I encountered here that was pursuing non-military city).

I am still in chapter 6 but tail end. I'm a smidge short on dust but in an hour I'll have it and begin research on the very last (unlocking dwarven AW --MH, yay!-- and moving on). It is slow but I am very pleased with my city.

The spire and I don't get along, as I put it. I don't really want to elaborate but every time I attempted it (more than a few in the last eight months) I got a bit screwed. Don't want to try again until I have more resources than I know what to do with (haha, yeah, right). There might be some experienced players who want to solve my problem but right now I don't even want to look at it. Someday, if I want to try again, I'll contact experienced players (that I likely met here in forum) for advice.

Regarding FS and tourney, there's a loophole that was brought to my attention, which I am taking advantage of (and praying INNO doesn't take it away). Technically, I am in a fellowship, but a closer look will show I'm the only one. I'm still playing solo but by creating a fellowship I was allowed entrance to the tourney (no minimum of two members in FS requirement). Due to limited resources (which will probably always be true, at least for awhile yet), I don't go far at all, but I do collect helpful things in the process, so I'm not completely left out. I am aware of FS that exist pretty much for solo players, those who want to play solo but come together just for tourney or FA. It is in consideration and I may wind up with one of those someday (or open mine up, likely to that style, we'll see). (FA: I checked out the last one to get a feel for how it works. It was very clear how it is designed to work as a team, not just multiple contributors. I'll continue participate in light tourney but leave FA alone until I have a team to work with.)

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I can see how to design a city for catering only. And I think it could work very well up until the Woodelves chapter. But at that point, Orcs becomes added to the catering list for both tournament and spire. And at the same time, you have to start making mana. If anybody knows how to design a Woodelves level city which can produce enough Orcs to 100% cater tournament & spire while also producing enough mana and goods then please let me know how.