• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I've Got The Residue Blues

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
My issue with that, and other things, is I don't want to see this turned into a "participation trophy" game. The game has always been meant to be a challenge. If it gets simplified to the point where a chapter 2 city can do what a chapter 10 or 15 city can, then the game will become too easy and advanced players will get bored and quit.
Fair point. Neither would I want to see that ... they give away trophies like candy in some games (and in some schools for that matter, to where kids reaching 18 don't realize life is going to slap them hard). I guess the residue is just a sticking point with me, although I have been able to make them. I think things should be hard. I just don't think they should be literally impossible for newer players.

Darielle

I think most players understand why they can't do everything in a game at Level 2.
Yes, I agree, but then Inno shouldn't offer it to them as it is. Don't get them excited about a fellowship adventure that they will find impossible to get any prizes in.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Fair point. Neither would I want to see that ... they give away trophies like candy in some games (and in some schools for that matter, to where kids reaching 18 don't realize life is going to slap them hard). I guess the residue is just a sticking point with me, although I have been able to make them. I think things should be hard. I just don't think they should be literally impossible for newer players.

Personally, I do not like that the game tries to get players into fellowships so quickly. Maybe that should have a minimum requirement of chapter 3 also. Or at least chapter 2. So many other games I have played make you wait for the group play part of the game, whether it is fellowships or guilds or co-ops, etc.

DeletedUser16373

It works fine if you are not trying to complete every single waypoint and make multiple rounds in the Pit. My Live fellowship only cared about completing one path per stage for the chests, and because of that, I have 12 extra Residue just sitting in my badge inventory with nowhere to put them.
Too bad you could not sell them to me lol.

Darielle

Personally, I do not like that the game tries to get players into fellowships so quickly. Maybe that should have a minimum requirement of chapter 3 also. Or at least chapter 2. So many other games I have played make you wait for the group play part of the game, whether it is fellowships or guilds or co-ops, etc.
That's a good thought. It would also give new players time to research fellowships and get into one that more suited their style of play.

BQwer

im starting chapter 3 and the adge is hard and it is annoying but it requires a lot of cordination but what about people without spire i did spire but it did not help still pulled it out ough

Iamaita

I want to reply to this without taking over this thread with a new topic, so I am starting a new discussion thread. I have been thinking about this for a while, so I hope it generates some good discussion. :)

Edited to Add Link: https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/new-players-and-fellowships.25821/

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I'm with lyapo. Many cities can't survive without fellowships; my main city is one. Had I been banned from joining as a small city, I wouldn't still be playing.

New players have no clue fellowships exist until they are introduced to them. I am saying they are introduced too soon, and not saying "this is a fellowship, but you can't join yet."

Kekune

New players have no clue fellowships exist until they are introduced to them. I am saying they are introduced too soon, and not saying "this is a fellowship, but you can't join yet."
Even so, I'd have pretty quickly decided the game was no fun. Fellowships are a great source of information and trade. Without either, small cities might sink. Whether I knew they existed or not, if I didn't have the tools to survive early on I wouldn't still be around.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
In reading this it seems that the easiest solution is a combination of crafting plus a minimum of vision vapor. I'd think every crafted item that has a minimum of 3 VV get a badge. With this there is no rollover of VV needed, and the minimum time commitment of the MA is 4.5 hours since things below that don't provide the minimum VV to earn the badge. In other words it lessens the amount of VV needed and makes it so a player can potentially do 4-6 badges a day.

And with this I'd also increase the Arcane Residue badges needed a bit. Maybe 10-20%. It would make things better balanced due to the increase in the ability to make the badges needed.

We ended with no Arcane Residue badges left over and I was very surprised that none of the other items, in particular the bracelet badges, slowed us down much. This was a "training FA" for us so we didn't plan to do much in the first place. Next time though, we will have plans and one of them will be our secret way of getting around the Arcane Residence slows down.....LOL.

AJ

Catface8471

Is it just me or is the Arcane Residue badge crazy hard, particularly for new players or younger fellowships? I honestly believe it is only viable for players who are past Dwarves; I can't see anyone in chapters 1-5 making enough combined catalysts to operate the MA day and night and create enough vision vapor to keep up with requirements. And the worst part is that half the time, the items in the MA are worth 9 vv ... not 10. Since it won't stack, you wind up getting 18 vv for 1 badge and wasting even more combined catalysts.

I realize that some badges are supposed to be harder, and that's understandable, but I don't believe they should be impossible for newer fellowships. I can't help but wonder if Inno did this because their Tourney changes made it so much harder for the advanced players--are they trying to balance that by making the FA impossible for new fellowships? If so, that's a dangerous move. You get people turned off to the FA early, they won't come back when they are able to manage the badge.

I'm not complaining for myself ... we are currently in 1st place and leading by more than 3K points over 2nd place. But I have empathy for newbies ... I was one not that long ago, and I feel sorry for them. :(
I agree. My FS is all higher level players and we had a hard time with the residue as well. We are kinda burned out on the FA's being so frequent so we decided to not make much of an effort on this one. Not sure we will on the next one either.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
So, if you already have secret plans why the nerf?
Probably the same reason why I ask for FA balance changes: for other players.
Personally, I just want one path as fast as possible and in my FS that is super easy, just like it was before the update.
However, I know that this game relies on players outside of my fellowships to survive, and therefore the enjoyment those players have is important to me.

So it's not that I'm being selfless when I advocate for improvements to the game that don't obviously have direct benefits to me, it's still self-serving to want to help others, and I'm good with that.

Darielle

Probably the same reason why I ask for FA balance changes: for other players.
Personally, I just want one path as fast as possible and in my FS that is super easy, just like it was before the update.
However, I know that this game relies on players outside of my fellowships to survive, and therefore the enjoyment those players have is important to me.

So it's not that I'm being selfless when I advocate for improvements to the game that don't obviously have direct benefits to me, it's still self-serving to want to help others, and I'm good with that.
I agree completely. If we don't keep the new members engaged and happy we will all feel the impact of that, new or old. And this FA was simply not doable for new members. It's always been hard ... hard is expected. But impossible is not.