• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Best AW to max first

Kekune

It is very easy late game to attain maximum culture (170%) without a single culture building in your entire city
How? Roads and the MM/sanctuary give you a lot, but not enough to run a city. At least, not any city I've seen. I'm confused about this statement. How do you get culture without... culture?

Sprite1313

Enar's, Maze, WT, thrones, and LH are total bottom tier wonders and KP in them instead of a good wonder is KP wasted for most cities.

I see the downside on most of these, but am curious why you don't like the Maze (always good to hear differing opinions).

StarLoad

How? Roads and the MM/sanctuary give you a lot, but not enough to run a city. At least, not any city I've seen. I'm confused about this statement. How do you get culture without... culture?
Festival Merchants, Evolving bldg, Moonstone Library set and others all give culture as a side benifit

StarLoad

I see the downside on most of these, but am curious why you don't like the Maze (always good to hear differing opinions).
Maze is too large and many other bldg produce more mana by far. After the winter set over the past years mana has become a non-issue.
The decay reduction is nothing to even think about.

Kekune

Festival Merchants, Evolving bldg, Moonstone Library set and others all give culture as a side benifit
... but then, aren't those culture buildings? I'm guessing he had to mean PURE culture buildings but that wasn't clear from his post.

StarLoad

... but then, aren't those culture buildings? I'm guessing he had to mean PURE culture buildings but that wasn't clear from his post.
As I said the culture is a side benefit, even at Zero I would place the FM for the Seeds, The 2 Witch huts are for frogs, orcs Pop and KP again at zero culture I would still place them, take the Vellorian Valor I place it for the guards not the culture

Not trying to answer for Soggy, He can do that much better than I ever could, but its why you place a bldg that may explain its use. Most would place teh moonstone set for the sentient goods, CC and spell frag and maybe at higher levels the pop, but its amount of culture is minimum compared to others but it does att up

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
How? Unless your talking about a pop/culture hybrid city?
Yup. Hybrids give culture as a side-effect.
I've had 170% before buffs for years and zero pure culture buildings. Actually ever since woodelves.
Basically once you unlock mana you shouldn't need culture anymore since you get it as a side effect from everything else.
I easily go up over 200% by asking for culture buffs from fellow and dropping EE spells on Witches and big hybrids like Venars.

The watchtower can't even be buffed so it'd be 100% useless. If inno gave me a level 30 one right now I'd sell it.

The diminishing returns on Culture are pretty bad too.

To go from 100% to 125% is obviously a 25% boost, but to go from 125 to 150 is not, it's only a 20% increase.
From 150% to 170% requires exactly 100% more excess culture but only provides a measly 13% increase in supplies and coins.

On top of that, it doesn't actually affect all of your supplies and coins, since a lot of those can come from wonders and event building that aren't affected by culture

The other mistake people make is going for 170% culture AND asking for culture from their FS while using EE spells.
E.G. I'm at 170% right now and you buff my witch to give me 5% and 13,000 more culture, but that 13,000 does nothing because I was already at max.

Basically, I think culture is overrated, and it becomes very easy to reach a decent level without a mediocre wonder like the WT.
The KP and space could be better used elsewhere.

Note: going hybrid like all event buildings totally screws you for ranking since the best buildings in the game give you zero points, so if that matters to you ignore all of the above.

Last edited:

Iyapo1

The watchtower can't even be buffed
It doesn't need to be buffed. At level 30 it provides more culture per square than the best culture building ensorcelled and polished.

Useless to you but I like my houses and my coin supply. I was not actually advocating the WT as the best wonder(golden abyss) I simply said it was worth looking at, but obviously not to you with your unique city build.

Iyapo1

Nope nope...keeping it. And when it is level 30 I will love it ....a third as much as I love my GA

SoggyShorts

The maze was almost decent when it was first introduced but in the years since they keep giving us better mana producing event buildings all of which are more efficient per square than the maze and require zero KP.

When the maze was invented the standard advice for woodelves was to build at least 10 preferably 14 of the 5x5 weeping willows for mana. When's the last time anyone had to do that?

Also, you unlock the dragon abbey at the same time which gives instant mana that totally bypasses the decay mechanic AND it buffs your mages which are one of the most important units.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
The other mistake people make is going for 170% culture AND asking for culture from their FS while using EE spells.
E.G. I'm at 170% right now and you buff my witch to give me 5% and 13,000 more culture, but that 13,000 does nothing because I was already at max.

But even at the normal max of 170%, the EE still increases that by 5% per building that is polished and enchanted. For example, if you have 10 buildings that way, you are getting 220% extra coins and supplies, instead of 170%. no matter what the actual Culture score is.

teeniez

I need to take a good look at my city. Seems like down the line a lot of builds that I need now, might not be useful in the chapters I haven't opened yet. I truly appreciate all the feedback. You guys are awesome.

ElfGunn

I do try to fight my way through most tournaments and spires. I try to save my goods for smaller players in the FS that need them. I play fast (I might be a little competitive lol). I'm currently in Chapter 6 getting the dwarvin style buildings set up as most use less space, then am going to stop on chapters and focus on upgrading my AW.
Heh. I'm also in Dwarves, and a bit competitive. I'm struggling just to find enough space to place the AWs I've completed.

SoggyShorts

But even at the normal max of 170%, the EE still increases that by 5% per building that is polished and enchanted. For example, if you have 10 buildings that way, you are getting 220% extra coins and supplies, instead of 170%. no matter what the actual Culture score is.
Right so what you want is ~150% and then your fellows get you to +170% AND +5% each
Going from 150 to 220
vs
Going from 170 to 220
with the same 10 FS buffs.

So the 170 city has "too much" natural culture and should replace some with anything else since they will get 220% culture either way.

Does the EE spell still only work if you have a "natural" 125% culture? If so, then the best theoretical city is one that would have exactly 125% and gets enough visits to hit 170% +5% per EE