• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

#1 Player on Harandar is leaving(for now, or forever)

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
No.
I distinctly remember a video of him shaking his head when it was brought up.
Well he "balanced" it lol, so it's his child, if he likes it or not.
It was one of the best things we ever got in this game as it finally made chapter 4 cities no longer rule the tournaments.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I distinctly remember Timon announced that he was moving to another Inno game’s team. At the time I wondered if Inno was working on a new game. I sincerely doubt he is back on Elvenar. He was a driving force since before Elvenar was released since he referred to decisions made before release. I’m thinking he wouldn’t be back unless his prior position or better was vacated. I only remember seeing him on an Anniversary video since he left Elvenar but I don’t watch them all anymore. I miss the Timon & Rika videos. At least he wasn’t shy about answering the “Why?
Adding: I also appreciated how he regularly thanked longtime players.

Last edited:

aphoney1

your post is a load of bunk.
The difficulty of a fight is exactly the same for every player in this game. The percent difference between your troops and the enemy troops in the 1st fight of the 1st province or the 6th fight of the 20th province is the same for you or for me or for anyone else. This is the difficulty. The only thing all those AW levels and expansions do is increase the number of troops you need. Nothing else. So if you can make the troops to fill the squads, you can will the fight the same, whether you have 5 AW levels or 500. This is the cost. These are not the same thing. And the same for the Spire. The percent difference between your squads and the enemy squads is the same for everyone. Only the amount of troops you need is different.

the only reason i can think of why inno would try to get rid of long-standing, money spending players - and i'm just spitballing here - is maybe they're trying to make room for newer players to join? it makes no sense to me, either, just a guess.

dikke ikke

i have to say that i am back to fighting much more battles manual as i was when my city was still small and WW did not exist yet, my score in tourney even went up. Top players where used to go 80 provinces for 6 rounds every week, giving them loads of kp to drop in their AW, if inno would not change the tourney system those players would be complaining for not being able to go to level 40 in AW's. They were used to the big advantages their AW's gave them and now their high level AW's are a drag. I dropped some AW's that looked like no longer interesting i have 18 of them now, top players can do the same if they want, do they really need 30AW's, The game became unbalanced in their favor and inno tried to fix it. In know there is a big change that after level 18 fighting the tourney will become harder for me, but it is something i can live with.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
i have to say that i am back to fighting much more battles manual as i was when my city was still small and WW did not exist yet, my score in tourney even went up. Top players where used to go 80 provinces for 6 rounds every week, giving them loads of kp to drop in their AW, if inno would not change the tourney system those players would be complaining for not being able to go to level 40 in AW's. They were used to the big advantages their AW's gave them and now their high level AW's are a drag. I dropped some AW's that looked like no longer interesting i have 18 of them now, top players can do the same if they want, do they really need 30AW's, The game became unbalanced in their favor and inno tried to fix it. In know there is a big change that after level 18 fighting the tourney will become harder for me, but it is something i can live with.
First of all the game did not benefit players any more then they do now. You have max benefit if you had all combat related wonders on max level, this did not change it's still the case.
But every non combat wonder will be detrimental to how many provinces you are able to do in the tournaments.

The issue is not doing less, the issue is not adaptation to new rules.
The issue is that after a certain point, everything is no longer a clear benefit or neutral for your game:

Advance in the tech tree? cool for your chapter and ranking bad for your spire tournament.
Want to place and expansion? cool for your ranking, bad for your spire / tournament
Want to level a wonder? well if it ain't a combat wonder bad for your spire / tournament.

You now have to make a clear choice, what is more important, spire / tournament results or a new chapter / ranking?
Those are no longer mutually beneficial.

This means people are sitting on piles of expansions / diamonds not using them, nor buying them because why would you buy something you can't use?
People are sitting on piles of KP because you can no longer spend them if you like the tournaments.
People are staying put in a lower chapter because advancing is not good for there spire / tournaments.

It's like playing world of warcraft where you get better the first 50 levels of your character, each consecutive level you make that level number bigger but your character worse in the game. so at level 100 you are as usefull on a raid as a level 10 character?

Does that sound like a good or a bad thing?
At level 100 you should be at least 5-10% better than at level 50, there is nothing worng with diminisching returns as long as it a benefit.

Thats what the current game is lacking, a clear path forward.

Gladiola

maybe they're trying to make room for newer players to join?

Although there may be some theoretical limit to how big the maps can get and still have the servers run reasonably efficiently, I don't see any evidence that the limit has been reached, and if it had, they could just start a new world. (Probably they have more worlds than active players as it is; the newest worlds seem relatively less populated.)

It is possible that they are trying to slow the gains of the longest-playing players so that new players don't see their lead as being quite so insurmountable, but tbat doesn't seem likely. What seems more likely to me is that recent design changes reflect a desire to improve gameplay for newer players (by making tournament and spire more accessible for them), and the changes have effects on late-game players that the developers are willing to tolerate. That is, it might not be about any specific intention toward late-game players, although they tend to be very vocal here on the forum.

OIM20

I dropped some AW's that looked like no longer interesting i have 18 of them now, top players can do the same if they want, do they really need 30AW's, The game became unbalanced in their favor and inno tried to fix it.
Why is it considered "unbalanced" for people who have been playing a game for a long time to benefit from the game's regular activities?

I realize this is an open-ended game. There is no set story completion marker, and getting your character/team up to max level (chapter here) like in a JRPG doesn't mean you're going to be able to hack the end-game boss (75th tourney province/10th floor Spire boss) to pieces with two strikes.

But this is a city builder, not a JRPG. I shouldn't be penalized because I like the look of 26 Ancient Wonders and the challenge of fitting them all into my limited city space alongside everything I need to maintain my city and my activity in the game. If that's what I want to do with my city. It shouldn't be, "You can only have x number of Ancient Wonders if you want to be able to be active in the Tournaments and the Spire."

So, why, if someone has invested six years into the game - along with probably thousands of dollars - should they be forced to play in a way contrary to the one they've played the whole time just in order to have any chance at competing in the tourney/spire? Why should they have to completely scrap their military cities and rebuild them as catering cities? (And at what point does Inno then decide, "Oops, now there's an 'imbalance' in the other direction!" and basically make it so playing the game past chapter five is in no one's best interest?)

Why should the experienced players not be given some benefit for being able to pass on their understanding of the game to players like me? If there's no benefit to them to do it, why would they allow smaller cities into their fellowships? Why would they spend time engaging in neighborly help? Sure, there's the gold, but their world map progress no doubt makes my paltry 2646 look like spittle in comparison to an ocean. I'm not sure if some players could even make it through the amount of uncovered map in whatever time they allot themselves to play the game each day. Add to that world map help time the time answering questions either in the forum or fellowship chat and boosting their FS' newer cities w/ tiny trades (yeah, I can make the 3k trade between marble (outgoing) and steel (incoming) between me and a member of my FS, but most of my trades are small still, and I try to be mindful of the cities even smaller than mine in the FS and trade tier 1 goods below 250 when I post the trades up; but it'll be a long time before I can make the 75k trades that are in my trader every day from my very large neighbors) -- all of that time added up and then Inno wants to say, "Sorry, mate, we know you've been a real boon to us taking on all those duties in game and in the forum, helping out and all, but we think letting you reap the rewards of your hard work in game isn't fair to all those people you've been spending all of your time helping." ??

That sounds like an imbalance to me - in favor of the newer players like me.

If Inno (and you, I guess) thinks there is an imbalance because newer players like me "will never see their names in the top 10 of anything", how about just creating new subdivisions in the tourney? Instead of making it everyone on that world, they could make it so that there's a new ranking catalogued every 5,000 or so WMP. Then the top 10 for that ranking could get a prize - and the higher your WMP, the better your prize. Because that's the way it should be. Their time and effort and energy - their money, too - should be rewarded, not penalized.

And, mind you, these are the same people who so graciously maintain third-party sites like ElvenArchitect, ElvenGems and ElvenStats. They don't get paid for that. It's only love of the game and to help their fellow players that they do it, and Inno is making changes that drive them away... Perhaps, though it doesn't answer @Simpumba's question of the reasons behind a player leaving, this might be an explanation for why Inno has made so many changes that affect so many players negatively. But if they didn't want the information getting out there, they would have made it part of the contract agreement to have an account on the beta servers, or they would have filed complaints with the webhosts of the third-party sites. If it is an impetus behind their behavior, it's passive-aggressive as can be.

dikke ikke

For me the game is about balance, and every time inno makes a big change players have to find a new balance and that is not always a fun thing to do. This change will not chase me away from the game like previous ones also did not

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
For me the game is about balance, and every time inno makes a big change players have to find a new balance and that is not always a fun thing to do. This change will not chase me away from the game like previous ones also did not

balance is not raising production 30% in 3 chapters and raising costs 80%

unless you have a unique special scale, most scales do not work that way.

Swankey Bob

I left this game after they did the tournament changes and poke my head in every once in a while just to see if things changed.

I honestly feel that the changes in the game are a result in a culture shift within the company to favor player growth over player loyalty for monetization.

This pattern is something that makes me sad across the gaming industry (as well as other industries such as movies). When Art gets modified by suits arguing business algorithms its the consumer who suffers.

Swankey Bob

The issue is behind balance in games like this players spend months and years tailoring their citys to take advantage of the game state. When Inno decides to change the way the game functions and invalidate all that time (and money) players have spent to cater to a different play style its not hard to understand why people get offended.