• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

update v1.129 discussion

Aritra

I have auto update on my Android turned off but as soon as I saw this thread yesterday, I updated the app (play store>my apps and games>update:Elvenar). I have no complaint about any of the changes so far.

Silver Lady

I also have auto-update turned off! Years of programming have made me cautious about letting anything mess with my electronics. But the update was in the store today.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
Please move back the check box in the production window to the middle where it was! it is horrible in the right corner :/
idk what was overlapping before, but it IS overlapping right now :/ the lined up resources totally covering the checkbox. besides that it is a pretty inconvenient spot.

I have to agree with this. But it does make me wonder why inno decided to move the check box on workshops and manufactories from the center to the right side to begin with. It seems so small and random that i would have to imagine they had a reason for doing it.
But none the less, i do not like it. And not just because 'hey its different, therefor i hate it!' type or crap... but it makes checking the box more inconvenient. Also the little icons that pop up for when you use gold and supplies overlap/hide the check box. Have to wait for them to dissapear before checking the box. Which just slows us down.

So i feel this was a bad adjustment from the players perspective. But im curiouse there reason for doing this in the first place.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
Fewer crashes in IOS sounds great! I learned the game on PC but I use mobile to keep my city going when I am away from my laptop. The mobile version is frustrating to me because it crashes so often. I think I would have quit the game early on if that was the only way I had to play.

Im not usre how mobile ppl play this game at all. At least given what iv dealt with trying to use mobile.
Im a browser player, but the mobile still has a better Neighborly help system then browser. So if i wanted to do a full run of all neighbors, id rather do it on mobile. (Or to be more accurate, i wont do it on browser in its current state.)

But mobile version crashes soooooo much; especially on the world map screen. And the thing is, it doesnt seem like one specific thing (on my end) causing it. This has been going on for the last 2~ years.
It started on my phone, the only android device i had. But it would crash on the world screen constantly. I eventually said screw it, and just stopped doing it.
I tried an emulator program on the pc i had at the time. But the same thing kept happening.
I tried a few different emulator programs, and it still happened.
I eventually started using a different pc. Tried the emulators on that unit.. same crashing took place.

So i dont know.. It didnt work on phone or different pcs. Tried different emulators. Tried it over time, tried it over different app versions... It always crashes a lot. I usually dont bother trying any more.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
@Dominionofgod I think the crashing is a RAM issue. Elvenar is a RAM hog. I have an old iPhone 6 with no sim card in it that I use as an aux mobile device when I'm home as to not wear out the battery cycle of my new phone. The iPhone6 only got 1GB of RAM. That thing will crash even just switching between accounts and loading the new city. New phone has 6x more RAM and doesn't have problems. Have a FS member on old iPad that also slugs through constant crashes as well, but no problems on new iPad w/his other account. The same is true on the browser. I've had only Elvenar running on the browser to observe the RAM usage in the Task Manager and the game will slowly creep over 2GB just idling. I've also done this on different browsers to rule out the browser. If I have multiple accounts logged in on different tabs and I forget I've got them open, it will eventually crash my browser (1hr+). Running this side-by-side with an old laptop with a lot less RAM, the old laptop will crash much quicker. The RAM usage on the desktop app from the MS store is actually more stable though, but still hovers around 1GB. Unfortunately, it's still the browser experienced inside an app wrapper so it won't help with neighborly visits. I play mostly on the browser (has more functionality) and will also run an emulator to do the ghastly neighborly visits. I've not had issues with the game on an emulator so I've concluded it's mostly a RAM management issue.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
@Dominionofgod I think the crashing is a RAM issue.
i could see that for my old phone most deffinitally. But i just checked both pc's i referred to in my post.
The older one has 8gb ram installed. Idling with elvenar running says physical memory being used 50~%
My main one actually only has 6gm ram installed. Idling with elvenar, these forums, and one other tab.. and is idling at ~60% used.
Im not sure how much emulators and the app take.. but it would be a good bit if that alone was enough to throw the memory usage to the point where the app crashes constantly.

Gladiola

@crackie I play in the Chrome browser on an ancient Chromebook and power off my machine at least 2-3 times a day when I have Elvenar running, otherwise it will crash.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Dominionofgod I think the crashing is a RAM issue. Elvenar is a RAM hog. I have an old iPhone 6 with no sim card in it that I use as an aux mobile device when I'm home as to not wear out the battery cycle of my new phone. The iPhone6 only got 1GB of RAM. That thing will crash even just switching between accounts and loading the new city. New phone has 6x more RAM and doesn't have problems. Have a FS member on old iPad that also slugs through constant crashes as well, but no problems on new iPad w/his other account. The same is true on the browser. I've had only Elvenar running on the browser to observe the RAM usage in the Task Manager and the game will slowly creep over 2GB just idling. I've also done this on different browsers to rule out the browser. If I have multiple accounts logged in on different tabs and I forget I've got them open, it will eventually crash my browser (1hr+). Running this side-by-side with an old laptop with a lot less RAM, the old laptop will crash much quicker. The RAM usage on the desktop app from the MS store is actually more stable though, but still hovers around 1GB. Unfortunately, it's still the browser experienced inside an app wrapper so it won't help with neighborly visits. I play mostly on the browser (has more functionality) and will also run an emulator to do the ghastly neighborly visits. I've not had issues with the game on an emulator so I've concluded it's mostly a RAM management issue.
That would make sense. My phone is an older LG with only 2GB of RAM. But it does everything else I want. I'm not upgrading phones just to play Elvenar! Especially since I am primarily a PC player and the phone is only to fill in gaps when I am away from my laptop.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I ma not sure what is causing problems for some of you. I use a fairly cheap Samsung smart phone that only has 2gb of RAM and it never has problems with the game. But I also keep as few other apps running in the background as I can. If you are having problems with 2gbof RAM, check and see how much extra junk is using the memory in the background.

Also, someone mentioned using an iPhone 6? I am pretty sure that Elvenar no longer supports any iPhones that old any more, so that could be the problem on those.

Oh, and for Android users, if your phone is old enough that you cannot update the Android version to something fairly recent, that can cause problems too, because I think Elvenar needs at least version 4.2, or maybe a bit higher, to run properly.

Edit: yep. From the Support page:

You can play Elvenar on many different mobile devices. We currently support devices which have Android version 4.4.4 or higher, or iOS version 10.0 or higher.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
The emulator may not have access to all of the RAM that is physically installed in the computer.
Correct. In my case, I only allocate 4GB of RAM to my emulator and this number can be tweaked. @Dominionofgod Emulators are generally pretty resource intensive as you're trying to simulate an entire hardware device with software and then running software written for a different instruction set on top of that in the virtual environment. When I start the emulator and idle, all is well. When I run Elvenar through the emulator, the fan will kick in as the CPU will need to push harder and need cooling (all just to visit some neighbors *sigh* :rolleyes:)

Also, someone mentioned using an iPhone 6? I am pretty sure that Elvenar no longer supports any iPhones that old any more, so that could be the problem on those.

iPhone6 can still receive OS updates so it's running iOS 14 just fine and therefore, still supported. As @Henroo said, an old phone can still do most things just fine like txt, email, watch youtube videos, and surf the web. Rechargeable batteries have a set life cycle though so I'd rather burn recharges on my old phone when I'm home.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I ma not sure what is causing problems for some of you. I use a fairly cheap Samsung smart phone that only has 2gb of RAM and it never has problems with the game. But I also keep as few other apps running in the background as I can. If you are having problems with 2gbof RAM, check and see how much extra junk is using the memory in the background.

Oh, and for Android users, if your phone is old enough that you cannot update the Android version to something fairly recent, that can cause problems too, because I think Elvenar needs at least version 4.2, or maybe a bit higher, to run properly.

Edit: yep. From the Support page:
I have Android version 8.1. And I close everything else when I try to play the game on my phone. It still crashes every 5 to 10 minutes. And that is in the city. If I open the world map on the phone, it crashes even more quickly.