• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Sorcerers' Homecoming discussion

Iyapo1

As @SoggyShorts is saying.....You are only looking at your own game and not the vast majority of players, so your comments don't ring true to very many.
This buildings primary link bonus is CCs and CC relics. Which serve only one purpose; more crafting; more free diamonds. So yes I am looking at this building from that perspective. The very fact that Inno is offering a building like this indicates that I am not alone in diamond grinding and that Inno wants to help me do it with less effort.

This sets primary link bonus works with 6 buildings.

I understand that this is not a big deal to players who have a lot of moonstone sets. Good for them. (damn sour grapes just pop up sometimes)

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I'll gladly challenge you to some head to head tourney battles if you need a goal to chase. ;)
I needs a prize! Must have shiny new pixels to validate my efforts!
This buildings primary link bonus [For ME] is CCs and CC relics.
Fixed that for you.

For me, the primary bonus is the T1 production which represents a savings of about 70 squares worth of factories IF you can get 260+ points.

Dew Spinner

This buildings primary link bonus is CCs and CC relics. Which serve only one purpose; more crafting; more free diamonds. So yes I am looking at this building from that perspective. The very fact that Inno is offering a building like this indicates that I am not alone in diamond grinding and that Inno wants to help me do it with less effort.

This sets primary link bonus works with 6 buildings.

I understand that this is not a big deal to players who have a lot of moonstone sets. Good for them. (damn sour grapes just pop up sometimes)
You have mentioned MANY times how you craft furiously, 3 somtimes 4 recipes a rotation....How are you doing that when you lack CCs?

Iyapo1

You have mentioned MANY times how you craft furiously, 3 somtimes 4 recipes a rotation....How are you doing that when you lack CCs?
Timer instants as said above and I tournament like mad to feed my habit. I also happily craft CC relics. I craft the other relics too, just not as happily. I also might be a bit over scouted by everyone's standards.
As for my lack of CCs...I push on CC relic weeks, the change coming to the tournament is going to hurt my relic farming thus my CC production. That change has not happened yet because they postponed it, but it is coming.

Dew Spinner

Timer instants as said above and I tournament like mad to feed my habit. I also happily craft CC relics. I craft the other relics too, just not as happily. I also might be a bit over scouted by everyone's standards.
As for my lack of CCs...I push on CC relic weeks, the change coming to the tournament is going to hurt my relic farming thus my CC production. That change has not happened yet because they postponed it, but it is coming.
OK, I misunderstood the timer instants to mean using them to push out recipes, now I realize it is to push out CCs!

Iyapo1

@SoggyShorts

I was not using primary as an indication of my preference, I was using primary as an indication of rank.
The primary building...the one the set is named for.
Would you prefer I call it something else? Ideas welcome.

Iyapo1

OK, I misunderstood the timer instants to mean using them to push out recipes, now I realize it is to push out CCs
Oh yeah, I do that too. Which is why I had to get good at the spire and then join silver/gold Fellowships I need the timer instant FS reward.

Guurt The Destroyer

Last year I stopped playing a PayToWin web based game. I grew tired of the grind and there really wasn't any way to compete without throwing large sums of money at the game. I enjoy trying to figure out how to do well despite the PayToWin pay walls, but at some point the constant changing of the rules to make it harder and harder for the non spender to do well just gets old.

Plus I think these games tend to focus on MASSIVE spenders and not smaller micro payments that a reasonable human could justify. Hundreds of dollars for a single event is not reasonable in my view. I am not opposed to spending a reasonable amount of money on a game, but these P2W games tend to focus on extracting unreasonable amounts of money from the top players so I tend to not spend anything as small amounts of money are often ineffective.

When I started Elvenar I wasn't sure how high the PayToWin pay walls would be. So far it doesn't seem too bad. There aren't even in game leader boards for the whales to compete each other by flexing the power of their credit cards. I am quite surprised that the game lacks more substantial ways for the (payto)Winners to show off their dominance. There is a lot of room for Inno to increase the pressure to compete.

In general, right now the game doesn't seem too competitive, though the competitive part is absolutely there.

Leagues, to me, illustrates a turn to a much more standard PayToWin format.

I will get all 7 pieces of the Pilgram's Manor without spending any gems. I have no gems to spend as I am a new player who hasn't built up a stash of gems. But even though I have had pretty good luck and will manage to get all those pieces I will probably end in the Bronze league because the design of Leagues is to create competition between the biggest spenders at the exclusion of everyone else.

Sure, right now people with large gem stashes can probably spend them to get into Silver. But non-spenders will see their gem stashes dwindle over time due to ongoing events and then they too will be stuck in Bronze league.

I can certainly tolerate Leagues for now. But if it succeeds in bringing in significant revenue then I assume over time more and more changes will be made to the game to motivate the top spenders to open their wallets.

Look at how expensive the gems are. $20 for 2,400 gems. 2,250 gems gets you 500 event currency. That isn't exactly cheap. 500 event currency is roughly 20 staffs. This is standard P2W pricing, in my experience. Unreasonably expensive.

Is Leagues a deal breaker for me? No. But what comes after Leagues? Will they add more stuff like this? I hope not. But if Leagues turns out to be a money maker then I suspect they will. Time will tell.

Eventually the imbalance caused by the benefit of being in silver/gold will translate to a game re-balance designed to keep the silver/gold players challenged and interested. This will come at the expense of the Bronze and lower players.

Grendelar

Personally, if I can't manage to complete this event set (and it's looking likely that I won't), I'm going to teleport everything back -- even though mathematically the building will still be worth placing, I just don't want to place incomplete sets. I don't like it.

I'm not sure how many people are like me in that regard. But for the sake of argument, let's assume most people are (I know that's a big assumption): in that case, why bother creating an event whose rewards will go unused by so many people?

It's the sort of thing that can, over time, wear on a player base. It's the sort of thing that makes people feel like their time is not well spent on the game. There are tons of great arguments for why players shouldn't be upset by this stuff -- lots of people have made them on this thread, and they're not wrong. But regardless how solid and persuasive those arguments are, it doesn't change the reality that many players do get upset by it, and many players do start feeling like the game is a waste of time when they dump hours and hours into a game only to feel like they didn't get much out of it. When players feel like that, many of the things that 'tie' them to the game start to deteriorate. It eventually gets to a point where the primary reason a player still plays a game is because they feel like they're 'pot committed' -- that they've invested so much time and/or money that quitting would feel like they're wasting even more. Those players stick around for a while, but they don't last.

To be clear: I'm not arguing that players are going to quit over this one event. I'm only saying that for the long-term health of any game, keeping the player base engaged and making them feel like their time is well spent is paramount. When games repeatedly fail on that front, people eventually begin searching for something else. So while I don't necessarily think that Inno should do anything right now to "fix" what many players perceive as a problem with this event, I do think they should very carefully consider all of this criticism in future event design.
I am just happy to get whatever I can get. I would love to get a complete set but the benefits of a partial set are with it to me. I know that I have only been playing a short time but I enjoy the game.

BrinDarby

For me, the primary bonus is the T1 production
Exactly, And if someone boosts steel, they can live without the Forge,
but if they don't... they'd rather be 1 piece short on planks or Marble.

While my main city has multiple Moonestones, my 2 baby cities dont.
So they will benefit alot from the CCs... and while CCs/relics or T1 is
nice ..... many ppl just want the achievement of complete'n the event.
That means ALL 75 tasks, and ALL 7 GPs ...

If you do all 75 tasks, then it shouldn't be "tight" on whether or not
you get all 7 GPs, and shouldn't rely on Luck..... if you end up in
Amateur, that just means alotta ppl did all 75 tasks .... Didn't we learn
this in school, when 1 teacher graded on a curve, and you'd get a 96
but only get a "B"..... or you get a 60, and still get a "C"..... insane.

if this was pass/fail, I'd give this event a "fail", and I've waited
patiently since AirTraders (1yr) for another set Event ...

Has anyone look'd @ all sets, NONE are more than 5 pieces,
except the current set @ 7 .... So for this set, maybee 2 pieces
between each set piece (GPs) was 1 too many...

All I know is with 30 minutes left, Bronze better be 260+ or
( to me ) this event will be a total failure.

BrinDarby

I'll gladly challenge you to some head to head tourney battles if you need a goal to chase.

OHHH I wish !!!!!!, even if this game is not PvP, a dbbl elimination tourn is
totally possible, and its even easily set up for any CH player .... so its 100%
legit and fair for everyone ....... and 100% doable.

BrinDarby

The Manor Set would've been better served by using "Post office" format.
of all the formats ... Chests, PO, or Fog ... PO is the 1 that engages players
the most, or has that possibility...... the only luck factor is in how much/what
smaller prizes you win. (not GPs) So its easier for the dev team to sync
event currency with total GPs won/earned.

Post office is my Fav, because its hella fun, and I get to play some each day.
Its also possible to guarentee 1 of each bldg daily prize, and still be on a
GP strategy path.

( QF retreat ) In all 3 worlds, I got my 9 artifcts, and in 1 of them I got the
wraparound 4x4 GP, doing all 75 tasks.

In PO format, the devs can easily dial in, w/all 75 tasks + drops + daily,
you could get to , ohhhh say 265 ( if 260 was the magic # ) All thats
required is enuff online play to get consistent drop pickup per day.

So any event where there is no FA assistance following, is a good candidate
for the Post Office format.... save the Fog/chests (luck ones) for when you
have the FA to fallback on and get the 2 artifacts ya didnt get.

BrinDarby

Not entirely. A big city simply has more provinces. Yeah, the difficulty scales, but if we're both prepared to go out 30 provinces and you don't actually have them, I win.

Sorry... I'll stay on topic now.
Exactly how does having more provinces have any bearing ????
a double elimination tournament has nothing to do with how many
provinces you've opened .... You lose.