• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Elvarian Games discussion

Dew Spinner

I do pretty minimal scouting, and having short scout times for events is a nice side effect of that.

I think I tend to take a very long term view in terms of obtaining and placing expansions. At some point for whatever reason I will be limited in the number of expansions I can place. At the same time, the demands for space increase throughout the game with new resources like mana and sentient goods implemented as well as ever-increasing costs for population and culture. So I'm not sure if having a bigger city sooner will make a city stronger in the long run. If this were the real world and there were some sort of return on accumulation of goods (like interest on savings) then it would make sense to build bigger sooner. However, there is no return for accumulation of excess goods; there is no time value of goods that is analogous to the time value of money in the real world. Therefore all that matters is one's ability to produce enough at any given point in time to satisfy the needs of the game at that point. Especially with the new tournament and Spire battle calculations, there are strategic advantages in maintaining a smaller city.

There are items that do have a time value, in the sense that they keep pace with the inflation of demand for goods as cities grow. These are primarily spells such as MMs and instants as well as spell fragments. So any strategy that maximizes the accumulation of those items will be more effective in the long term. Thus I focus on tournament, Spire and event performance rather than how big my city is or how fast it grows. There are some people for whom fast growth and new features are compelling and interesting, and that strategy would probably not be very fun for them.
I agree, rushing through chapters hinders you ability to amass resources that help you immensely, later in the game, like Orcs!

Dew Spinner

@Dew Spinner Thanks :) I can give as good as I get. Maybe someone thinks I don’t post as often because they chased me away but nothing is further from the truth. If someone who has not been around as long thinks they know more than those of us who have been around longer they are just boring. I scroll past only one person because of their attitude. That certainly doesn’t change my wanting to reply from my perspective since my play style isn’t the same as many longterm players on the forum. I have posted less lately only because of RL & boredom with some aspects of the game.
Thanks, that proves my point that certain posters thinking that others have been bullied off the game, is not accurate. I like your posts and find them very good advise I only tagged you as a point toward rude, aggressive and abrasive post towards you by a poster who is complaining about rude, aggresive and abrasive posts.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I saw and :rolleyes: I would never think what I say was so important that someone would leave because of me.

On the subject of the Event, I’m just tired of the rinse, repeat so I’ve decided to take a break from events with a bunch of mediocre prizes I don’t need to further my city.

Dew Spinner

I saw and :rolleyes: I would never think what I say was so important that someone would leave because of me.

On the subject of the Event, I’m just tired of the rinse repeat so I’ve decided to take a break from events with a bunch of mediocre prizes I don’t need to further my city.
I can see why a high chapter city would not be interested in most of the yearly event przes, daily or evolving.

Huor

That's one nice thing about being a low chapter city that is just getting rolling, the grand prizes, and a lot of the daily prizes are so cool! I hope that I don't think meh about all of an events prizes anytime soon!

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I’m not even in that high a chapter and I’m not interested in the prizes, grand or otherwise, of this event.

I think this was discussed some on Beta, but the evolving building from this event is much more useful to later chapter cities, 9 and up, than for lower chapter cities, especially if you use it in chapter 11+ for divine seeds. This feels like the first main prize building in a while that was not aimed at making the game easier just for early chapter cities.

Alram

Flippers just flip
That's one nice thing about being a low chapter city that is just getting rolling, the grand prizes, and a lot of the daily prizes are so cool! I hope that I don't think meh about all of an events prizes anytime soon!
I agree. I'm only in ch 9 and I'm having a great time. I really like the events and prizes.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
@CrazyWizard don't forget that every single time a province finishes scouting, the cost and difficulty for every unscouted province goes up a little bit. While late-game players will almost never see a change, the early-game players definitely will. And will end up with red provinces that are very tough to complete. This penalty from overscouting is very real.
Again if you get anywhere, anywhere near the orc wall. you are already a negotiator. cost and difficulty at that point are moot and pointless.
Because you negotiate because you have plenty spare goods (It's very easy to produce more goods than you need for the tech tree / upgrades)

The further you get in the game the bigger your pile of goods usually becomes, only the spire can be a real goods drain (or way to expensive tournament provinces)

So if you battle provinces, you'll never can make it too difficult since you simply cannot scout to far away. because once that happens your battles become to difficult and you have to way for another squad upgrade to unlock the provinces.

If you negotiate you have spare goods, this is where you can scout many rings ahead of the tech tree. at this point you can spare the goods anyway otherwise you would not be at that point. that you might spend a million more goods by the time you reached ring 11 doesn't matter. you have those goods to waste anyway.

We are talking about halfway ring 9 (160 provinces to unlock orcs) vs ring 11 (223-264 provinces)
That means a negotator can scout up to 64% more provinces than a combatteer.

As for long term things, My dragon abbey would have been producing only 2/3rds of the mana if I was a combatteer vs a negotiator.
There are tangable befenits for negotiating as many provinces as possible. even if it looks pointless.

Several productions / effects have a "times completed provinces" component. so if you hold yourself back you actually hurt yourself.

Last edited:

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
*sigh*
Perhaps the scout debate could be moved to its own thread, if some continue to share such disparate advice.
I have six cities caught up to locked dailies, two waiting on the Spire to unlock and one that will never finish, due to an excessive amount of Goods/relic/CC/Encounter requirements.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I'm pretty sure the scout discussion was because if players participate in events regularly they may be pushed into the ring requiring Orcs before they are ready. That would cause a big problem if they also don't have any provinces that they can use for encounter tasks. I know there are usually alternatives to the scout tasks but if not, on the other end of the spectrum are players like me who it takes 5+ days to scout. Whether I have to scout for scout tasks or encounter tasks it just gives me another reason to not be as wild about events as I used to be. It would be worth it only if the prizes were better.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
lol, you are in the right place we just tend to derail near the end of the event. Everything has been hashed and rehashed in the first 10 pages so now we are down to general quest snipping.
Sure but.
Now that this is so near the end and those who can be caught up, are, let's get back to event feedback.
My two are both on 18/72, Friday night's quest, waiting on building upgrades or MA resets.

Alram

Flippers just flip
This event seemed a lot easier to me than the previous event. I still have currency and I already have a 2nd base in all 3 of my cities. I went after the cheapest steps.
19, 41, 21, 51. I did grab a few of the 77 and 78 chests when they were the cheapest per step options on the board.
How did others do on this one? Was it easier or did I just get really lucky this event?

Iyapo1

@Alram
Exact same chest selection here. I am going to get all 9 artifacts in 2 cities but in my third I am about 8 steps short. If I get seahorse food in my next 2-3 chest I will make if not...oh look, an FA!

I actually got a ridiculous number of daily prizes in all my cities so the RNG was throwing me love on that front.

AnselSkye

How did others do on this one? Was it easier or did I just get really lucky this event?

I got all nine artifacts and am at 6/20 toward a second base with 227 currency left. I went with your order more or less, but ended up grabbing quite a few 77-cost chests. I got a few currency rewards, but I wouldn't say I was especially lucky.

I teleported my Ashen Phoenix a couple of days ago to make room for other stuff.

Sitting in Silver on Arendyll with 266/257 points.