• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Grounds of the Orc Strategist, and military advice

Mont Clair

At least that is about what I had in my early game chapters and I had 4 maxed armories. This means if you go to sleep for 8 hours your barracks will be idle for 5 hours. Once I got DB my troop situation improved **SO** much. My training time increased dramatically and my military buildings had much less downtime between my log-ins.

Yes, I agree that idle time in barracks is not ideal, and I dislike that as well in early chapters, but in this case, OP is only Chapter 3 and asking for advice. I am only structuring my answer according to their need. Until they unlock DB, Needles on its own will have to do.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Yes, I agree that idle time in barracks is not ideal, and I dislike that as well in early chapters, but in this case, OP is only Chapter 3 and asking for advice. I am only structuring my answer according to their need. Until they unlock DB, Needles on its own will have to do.
I understand the OP is in ch 3. I don't think you are understanding my point. I am saying that until you get the Dwarven Bulwark AW built, Martial Monastery is more valuable than Needles is. If I was building a combat city from scratch I would concentrate on MM in the early phase of the game.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One

The problem with Needles is that is speeds up troop production in the Barracks, so you end up with even more idle time, not less. This is a reason you will see some cities with 15 or 20 baby armories in them. It is a cheap way to increase troop production, if you have the space for them.

Iyapo1

I have a fire phoenix as well as a brown bear (well green asteroid? lol) that I feed on Sundays.
You might be interested in this forum thread. It has some useful brown bear feeding strategies, some of which you can apply in chapter 3.

Which buildings would help me in chapter 3, because it looks like I will be in ch 3 for awhile.
I dont fight, but I agree with henroo if your aim is for a fighting city you might want to rest in chapter 5 just past your golem upgrade with the MM/Sanctuary wonder unlocked.
Not that there is anything wrong with resting in chapter 3, it is a sweet spot.

Gladiola

I think it's possible to be hyper-focused on idle barracks as being a problem. If the reason barracks are idle is that troops were produced faster than they would have been otherwise, then you still have as many troops as you would have had with no increased speed. So it hasn't directly damaged troop production. (Some would argue that it holds you back due to the effects of increasing AW levels on tourney and Spire costs, but so far I haven't noticed that upgrading my AW has resulted in costs I can't handle.)

Whether or not speeding up troop training time is a problem is dependent not only on the training size but also how often you collect troops during the day. On days off or days I work from home (the majority of days), I collect troops every couple of hours or even more often. Thus having a short training time is beneficial because I am training way more troops in those 2 hours than I would have been if my barracks were slower. It is true my barracks is largely idle overnight, but the increase of production during the day from faster barracks far outweighs the "lost" time when my barracks are idle at night.

So it really depends on playstyle. For people who play often throughout the day, the speedier your barracks are, the better.

With that said, I don't have a Needles because I only have space in my city for a GA, which is now level 12.

Mont Clair

I understand the OP is in ch 3. I don't think you are understanding my point. I am saying that until you get the Dwarven Bulwark AW built, Martial Monastery is more valuable than Needles is. If I was building a combat city from scratch I would concentrate on MM in the early phase of the game.

Considering OP is having troops shortage and does plan to stay in Chapter 3 for a while, should they not build any AW until they unlock MM?

I dont fight, but I agree with henroo if your aim is for a fighting city you might want to rest in chapter 5 just past your golem upgrade with the MM/Sanctuary wonder unlocked.
Not that there is anything wrong with resting in chapter 3, it is a sweet spot.

Are you are saying OP should cater up through Chapter 5 or just skip spire/tournament entirely? Not too sure what 'rest' here is, and I would appreciate clarification.

Whether or not speeding up troop training time is a problem is dependent not only on the training size but also how often you collect troops during the day.

I think, perhaps your best solution currently, OP, is what Gladiola mentioned above, to log in game and collect troops more often to skip these idle times. (And since Needles speed up Troop production times, you get Troops somewhat faster too, giving you more troops overall. But this method works even without having Needles.)

Iyapo1

Are you are saying OP should cater up through Chapter 5 or just skip spire/tournament entirely? Not too sure what 'rest' here is, and I would appreciate clarification.
OP said they plan to stay in chapter 3 for a time("resting", i.e. gathering resources and building up without advancing the tech tree was my assumption). So instead of resting in chapter 3, I recommend they rest in chapter 5. I just think chapter 5 is a better spot to rest and build up for a catering/fighting city than chapter 3 because of the MM/SANCTUARY and the golem upgrades. But chapter 3 is not a bad spot. For a pure catering build chapter 3 is spectacular!

Iyapo1

Currently resting at the very start of chapter 16 in 3 different cities. So I am going to have to disagree with what is a "sweet spot." I think I am in it right now...
Good to know there is more than one. Currently resting in 8 with my main catering city...not a sweet spot! Not nice at all!
9 will be better, the introduction of orcs as a catering requirement will reduce the pull on my other goods.

Iyapo1

I run out of RRs and blueprints. I also really like upgrading my wonders to wonderful asap. So I hang out for extra weeks at the begining/end of chapters until I can upgrade everything or until existing wonders hit a certain arbitrary point set by me.

Tehya1

I am staying in ch 3 because I will be stuck for awhile, not by choice. lol I just completed archer research (hope that makes them better fighters lol) so I can work on Needles.

Right now, I have to find a balance between doing the spire and upgrading/research, because I have to cater, and goods are a challenge. I am doing great in the tournaments and rarely have to cater. Faster recruiting would probably work for me because I am on frequently throughout the day.

Thank yall so much for all of the advice! Please keep it coming! I will keep this thread and refer back to it. :D

getmomo

As far as I know the only building in the game which makes Fainient Frogs is the Witch Hut evolving building from last year's Halloween event. It is not currently available. As far as how Frogs compare to Treants or Valorian Guards, they really do not. Treants and VGs are both heavy melee units. Frogs are heavy ranged. Once they get all 3 promotions, Frogs are probably the best heavy ranged unit in the game. The problem is that they do not get the promotions until very late in the game (final promotion comes in chapter 15). And without the promotions, Frogs are not that great. It looks like you are Elvish. Golems are a pretty good heavy ranged unit. And you will get the promotions for them fairly early. 2 star and 3 star Golems are probably going to outperform 1 star Frogs in most situations which require heavy ranged.

Brown bear also gives you frogs.

Mont Clair

("resting", i.e. gathering resources and building up without advancing the tech tree was my assumption)

Good to know there is more than one. Currently resting in 8 with my main catering city...not a sweet spot! Not nice at all!
9 will be better, the introduction of orcs as a catering requirement will reduce the pull on my other goods.

Thank you, now I understand what you mean.. I m planning to rest in 9, do all the Aw upgrades, build RRs and blueprints etc... I got out of 8 as soon as I could, lol.

I also really like upgrading my wonders to wonderful asap.

What is wonderful to you? Level 6..? Level 11...?

StarLoad

.... And without the promotions, Frogs are not that great. It looks like you are Elvish. Golems are a pretty good heavy ranged unit. And you will get the promotions for them fairly early. 2 star and 3 star Golems are probably going to outperform 1 star Frogs in most situations which require heavy ranged.
I have to disagree partially here, FREE 1 star frogs are very good at low-level battles with the outstanding range advantage they have, otherwise yes use golems. At 2 star the are very good due to the range and against the right opponent they will win easily, from the range or terrain. Yes 3 star Golems are mostly better and are able to take more hits but the range is limited and in some situations the Golem needs 3 moves before it can attack.
Finally, the 3 star frog is able to take out just about any enemy even against all mages with a Fire Chicken or DA in support.

Ed

Gladiola

I think by most people's definitions of resting, I rest in pretty much every chapter, although I seem to be moving through Dwarves pretty expeditiously so far. I think my "don't do province encounters unless the bossy event lady tells me to" philosophy provides a nice brake on my pacing. Still have completed only 102 out of 130 provinces required to start Fairies.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Um...29-30 :)

I am stuck! I need way more RRs....i have library pieces that are still in chapter 3, the horror! I cant advance like that, it is against my self-inflicted rules. I am going to want my mana producers.
Me too, in my second city! Also, the moonstone lib almost double in pop and culture going from Orc to Woodelves chapter so it’s an important chapter to get Moonstone set upgraded. I think I’ve done 5 FAs in chap 8 now. Still have 3 libs left to upgrade. I’ve not even upgraded most of the other pieces bc I’m still on the libraries. Even decided to start a new Gold FS from scratch to get enough diamonds to buy RRs to speed this along. That greatly delayed things a bit but now the blue blings are rolling in much faster and speeding it along…until Bears started showing up and competing for diamonds and BPs.

Mont Clair

Um...29-30 :)
Oooohhhh. I applaud your patience. I was thinking of only upgrading 5 levels.

I am stuck! I need way more RRs....i have library pieces that are still in chapter 3, the horror! I can't advance like that, it is against my self-inflicted rules. I am going to want my mana producers.

Also, the moonstone lib almost double in pop and culture going from Orc to Woodelves chapter so it’s an important chapter to get Moonstone set upgraded.

I sure hope I saw this sooner. I deleted (yes, not teleport, sold) my Moonstone Library set (I think they were dwarves chapter) in the orc chapter to fit all the mushroom farms. Now I am recrafting from scratch, only have 2 pieces of the set recrafted so far, but I will definitely take forever to get my ML back up since it takes a lot of CCs. :( but that's fine. I have time...