• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament Score Display

Add FS members that have 0 points to FS Tournament score list

• In Favor

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Not in Favor

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

able99

Looking at my initial post, I think its pretty clear. Do you guys think it can be submitted as is, or does it need more work before requesting vote.
I suppose I could add a screen shot from the Fellowship tournament tab but mine currently show all 25 members with 1000+ points for each.
I could also wait til the tournament starts tomorrow, and use report from tournament banner in World View. Not sure what that would add.
Personally I think adding the screen shots, would make it more confusing and look more complicated than it is.
Everyone, especially developers should already know what the report looks like.
btw, I love the idea of following this thread with a large bowl of popcorn, and agree it would have gotten more yes votes if the discussion did not go off the rails.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@able99
I think the first post is clear as well as to what we're voting for or against. When you are ready to tag helya to put up the official poll, you can ask her if she thinks any changes are needed first. You also might ask if she likes the always available 'con' for the idea (ideas usually require developer time as a company resource to make the change) included or if that is now something that it is assumed we all know: Ideas require some amount of development resources.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Yeah, this has been surprisingly controversial for such a simple suggestion!
You'll get to know the characters on the forums soon enough.

Ideas like this go through a pretty simple formula for me:
  1. Does it hurt anyone?
  2. Does it help anyone?
With a "No, and Yes" the vote becomes easy. I try as much as possible not to include myself in those 2 questions, since I don't play the game alone. (I haven't checked anyone else's tournament scores in any of my FS in forever so I wouldn't directly benefit from the proposal)

Since it's a 5-minute fix the usual "Developer time could be better spent on ____" doesn't even apply. Yes, there is an alternative (Cross-referencing FS members page with tournament page either in your head or using a spreadsheet) but all that means is that this proposal is a "wanted" not a "needed" feature which everyone already knew.

I think it's ready for a vote, and I hope the attention drawn to the thread by some of the more...off topic... posts didn't hurt too much. "There's no such thing as bad publicity" maybe? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Huor

The only issue I see is there are some players that don't like the tournaments (look at the number 1 player spot in my world and read why they left the game along with others. Granted the tournament changes that seemed to cause a lot of issues was before my time so I have no real clue as to all the reasoning for leaving) or they would rather throw everything at the spire every week, enjoy the FA's, etc... There are many ways to support ones fellowship. So hanging someone out there with a 0 for not playing in one part of the game just doesn't seem right. I would think if one's fellowship states play tournaments at a certain level, then their membership in the fellowship would be dealt with another way. To be honest, I'm surprised the tournament results didn't already work this way as it took an extra line of code to exclude the 0 scores.

SoggyShorts

The only issue I see is there are some players that don't like the tournaments
Those players most of all would benefit from this proposal. If your FS doesn't have a set minimum for the tournament, then they should still send reminders to their members to clear one single encounter so that the rewards don't get wasted. You're on the same team after all.

Huor

Now that right there is very true! I've messaged more than once for new players to throw down at least one fight/cater so they can join in on the rewards to help grow their city. So if this change helps everyone see the value of the tournaments, count me in!

hvariidh gwendrot

What happens when every player is listed and there are pages with players with zero's ? you'll need to have that added or it's going to be a really long list of zeros clogging up the tournament tab .. using harandar as an example there are 2954 pages of players 540 pages of tournament participants 2400 extra pages of zeros' is a lot of extra pages .. i would not leave that detail out if this get moved up the food chain

hvariidh gwendrot

each member is listed that participates .. if you are adding a zero as a participation score it's gonna list on the tournament tab unless they code it not to .. just saying to remind them not to include all the 0 scores

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
They're just database queries. It's not that hard to filter what they query...

They're also separate queries. I don't think a programmer will call the tourney scores of the WHOLE server to then filter out the FS members before listing the tourney scores. That would be so ridiculously inefficient. They'd query the database of just Fellowship members first and then list scores.

Last edited:

hvariidh gwendrot

this goes back to my communication theme .. let's not assume they wont add it to all list and let them know it's for internal fellowship use only

SoggyShorts

The request is clearly for the Fellowship UI listing of Tournaments, not the world rank listing.
Obviously, but sure...
@able99 please add a line in your proposal for the developers to not add a few thousand pages of zeroes to the world tournament scores since this idea is only for the FS page. Just in case there are 2 people in the universe that this for whom this wasn't obvious. :rolleyes:

hvariidh gwendrot

even if it doesn't lag loading 3-5 k extra pages of names every screen change, it's just wasted space, and i'll go out on a branch here and say not a very appealing read, if they can isolate your names going up the spire for each fellowship each world and do, they can keep this in house per fellowship as well .. when asking for code it is always best to leave little to no wiggle and why not ask for the better version?, if you guys talk them in to an opt out box to check i'd vote yes opt out and keep going as is

able99

Thanks all. One more thing I 'd like to point out to the nay sayers. When you look at the Tournament list page, you really only see the first grouping of highest scores. To see the rest you have to scroll down so you really never see the zeros unless you want to. Most of the objections was nothing more than a red herring.

I'll probably ask Helya for vote tomorrow.

hvariidh gwendrot

i honestly just had a thought on this as a spire function mission creep.. do you want any players who have not done a step up the spire to show at the bottom ? and with fellowship adventures ? should we have the names off to the side and not on a path yet ? there could be a non participant list for every activity to know these things .. sort of kidding but not really

Last edited:

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
i honestly just had a thought on this as a spire function mission creep.. do you want any players who have not done a step up the spire to show at the bottom ? and with fellowship adventures ? should we have the names off the side and not on a path yet ? sort of kidding but not really

I have seen that suggested before for the Spire, just don't remember which forum it was on. And there should also be some sort of in-game listing of participants for each stage of an FA, so that you don't have to click on every point and look for names.

hvariidh gwendrot

lol ok .. i honestly get where you are coming from, this would make it easier in certain ways for most, but and this next part is true for us ... a fellowship message pops up "hey we will be at jellystone for 2 weeks" .. and everyone goes "cool get home safe and sound" and everyone knows the math, then if anyone wants to say "hey don't forget its tournament week" well that just gets a chuckle .. if the math is not right then someone is having a real world problem and we address that by going "i hope (insert name here) is ok and nothing bad has happened, sometimes real world gets in the way" and folks wait and hopefully they return" if not another mystery .. to me this feels like a filter to inhibit interaction between members .. that's just hippy thought process seeping out not hate on anything

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

i honestly just had a thought on this as a spire function mission creep.. do you want any players who have not done a step up the spire to show at the bottom ? and with fellowship adventures ? should we have the names off to the side and not on a path yet ? there could be a non participant list for every activity to know these things .. sort of kidding but not really
Yeah, I've been asking for this for well over a year, as have many others.

able99

Back on topic, please.

I really hate cleaning up threads, so cut it out.
Helya, Thank you for interjecting and trying to keep everyone on topic.
Clearly the idea to modify the way Elvenar shows Tournament Display Scores has gotten a lot of attention, overwhelmingly positive.

The proposed change is simply. Show the scores for all the members in the fellowship, even if a member's score is zero. Currently members with zero score are left off the list. As each player adds to their tournament score, the score is increased accordingly, same as its done now. The change will benefit everyone by encouraging more players to participate in the tournament. There is no downside. I do not believe anyone will get hurt.
To be clear, report is the one displayed by clicking on the tournament banner in the World Map, or clicking on the tournament tab in the Fellowship overview.

I believe my initial post on this thread is clear and can/should be put to a vote as is. If you think I need to make some changes or clarifications before voting begins, then I am happy to do so. Otherwise please put the topic to a vote.