• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I enjoy fighting in the Spire now

Moho

Chef
It took me a while, but I think I'm fine now.

I've been playing since last Christmas and my city is in Chapter 5. I've stopped there to focus on the quality of my city. I've been working on improving its efficiency in terms of population, culture, goods, troops, and so on. It looks like I've been doing a good job because the Spire has become accessible now.

I remember I used to barely go up a little and return to "base" exhausted and discouraged because literally everyone in the barracks was dead and I had to work hard to rebuild my army so that I could perform well in the Tournament, which is an important activity to my fellowship. I felt like I would never be able to perform well in the Spire.

But luckily they provided Fire Phoenix artifacts in the Magic Academy. My Fire Phoenix is level 8 now, which gives my troops a 40% Units Damage Bonus when fed. And I couldn't have evolved the Fire Phonex without the Blueprints my fellowhip constantly wins in the Tournament.

Also, my persistent activity in the Spire has enabled me to regularly earn an important building: Dwarven Armorer. It raises your troops health by 150% for 5 days, so I can use it both in the last day of this Spire session, and on the first day of the next one. I do the same with 3 other important buildings I craft in the Magic Academy: Unleashed Unit Upgrade, Enlightened Light Range, and Magnificent Mage Multiplier. By using these buildings when I do the Spire, I manage to always win the encounters and save a lot of my troops too.

The important thing is to only fight the battles you know you can win. This will ensure the rewards and save you a lot of troops. Of course, you need to know a lot about how your troops behave in battle and that only comes with experience - which means with numerous failures and troops loss. There are many things I don't know, which makes me still avoid certain battles that I know I can't handle. But still, I only negociate 10-20% of the Encounters and I try to always negociate less even though I think I have become such a good negociator that it would be easier for me to negociate the entire Spire than fight. However, my ambition is to rely almost completely on my troops and I'm really happy I've almost done that.

The Spire is an important source of vital resources, special buildings, and diamonds. These diamonds allow me to manage in situations where I could otherwise get stuck. I don't think you can really enjoy Elvenar if you don't learn how to do the Spire and go through this experience on a regular basis.

spire.png

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I cater the Spire to the top each week and have tried fighting. I can do both but prefer to balance catering and fighting so I don't run out of either goods or troops.

In any case, you are certainly right that without a Fire Phoenix nothing is very winnable no matter where you are fighting.

AJ

Moho

Chef
In any case, you are certainly right that without a Fire Phoenix nothing is very winnable no matter where you are fighting.
The Fire Phoenix may be important, but it does not suffice. One needs to upgrade Ancient Wonders such as the Sanctuary or the Needles of the Tempest as well. The additional buildings I've already mentioned are also really important, and they must be used in conjunction for the full effect. Only then one will be able to fight and win almost every encounter in the Spire. In an attempt to economize, I tried to make use of these components separately, one by one. There was a slight improvement, but the results were generally disappointing. Once I used them all at the same time, I became almost invincible. And I can't believe I still have so many troops available.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Dwarven Armorer. It raises your troops health by 150% for 5 days, so I can use it both in the last day of this Spire session, and on the first day of the next one. I do the same with 3 other important buildings I craft in the Magic Academy: Unleashed Unit Upgrade, Enlightened Light Range, and Magnificent Mage Multiplier. By using these buildings when I do the Spire, I manage to always win the encounters and save a lot of my troops too.
If you go all the way to the top you get more timer instants than it costs to open all gates. In this way, you can use the same 5-day buildings for the whole spire BOTH times. As a bonus, you get them for a couple of tournament rounds in 2 tournaments as well.

Guurt The Destroyer

Yeah, what I do is that I start the tournament on Tuesday late enough in the day that I can complete the Spire on Sunday. I then just set down all the 5 day buildings I want, do the tournament as needed, and then on Sunday I use time instants and just finish the Spire. I am in a lower chapter so I can't go as far in the tournament as I would like without the buildings as I am often using 1 star troops against 3 star troops and they need some boost from the buildings. Eventually, I will do what SoggyShorts is suggesting when I have more 3 star troops.

Moho

Chef
Nice success story. Makes me smile.
Thank you. It is surprising to me. Last Spire session I didn't negotiate a single battle in my original city, in Ceravyn. I fought my way all the way up to the top.

The city in Winyandor (I access them in reverse order) fared well too although it is much younger - I only negotiated 5 encounters. You can guess what battles those were, the type of two or three wave encounters where I would need a different (or even completely different) lineup. I also tend to avoid battles where I would need to use a wide array of troops - I don't seem to be able to handle those too well either.

I won't go into further details about Arendyll. It was pretty much the same. I'm quite obsessed with overall efficiency and am working hard on it.

Last edited:

Emily198097

Thank you. It is surprising to me. Last Spire session I didn't negotiate a single battle in my original city, in Ceravyn. I fought my way all the way up to the top.

The city in Winyandor (I access them in reverse order) fared well too although it is much younger - I only negotiated 5 encounters. You can guess what battles those were, the type of two or three wave encounters where I would need a different (or even completely different) lineup. I also tend to avoid battles where I would need to use a wide array of troops - I don't seem to be able to handle those too well either.

I won't go into further details about Arendyll. It was pretty much the same. I'm quite obsessed with overall efficiency and am working hard on it.
I totally get it. I am in chapter 5 and have NOT mastered the spire yet for sure. I am getting better at catering and I prefer to use it when I would have to use a bunch of different troops too. At least I can consistently get the 50 diamonds gate.

Moho

Chef
Solving the Spire encounters militarily is fast and cheap, but of course one needs to adequately prepare for it. Military AWs will help. I always make use of the boosters I have already mentioned: Dwarven Armorer, Unleashed Unit Upgrade, Enlightened Light Range, and Magnificent Mage Multiplier. But now I have two Phoenixes to feed: Fire Phoenix and Twilight Phoenix. Managing pet food can be a challenge, but feeding the Twilight Phoenix is worth it. I have been able to rebuild my army faster since I started using it.
SPIRE.jpg

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I can remember hating the spire and telling the AM when I first considered joining Thornwood that if she wanted a spire player, I wouldn't join. Now I'm the Spire Scrollkeeper on the forum, lol. What a difference a couple of years makes. :)

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I can remember hating the spire and telling the AM when I first considered joining Thornwood that if she wanted a spire player, I wouldn't join. Now I'm the Spire Scrollkeeper on the forum, lol. What a difference a couple of years makes. :)
There are so many players who give up on the spire early on and never give it a 2nd try. I know players with a 2000+ tournament average who don't even do the first floor of spire.

Yogi Dave

My FS, Fresh Air with Coffee, was slow to go for the gold spire, though several made it to the top each week and a few more most weeks. Finally, the 1st week of '22 we did a push week to see how it would go over. We made it. We still do a push week the 1st week of the month, which means one starts on Jan. 1st '23. The important thing is after a couple of months we have gotten gold every week. In fact, 46 of the 52 weeks this year. There are no requirements that anyone participate, even during push week. We do offer a good deal on goods if anyone wants them that week, but it's rare for anyone to ask. People who used to complain about the spire have quit complaining and always reach the top. A couple of months before we went for the gold, a few people who joined our FS left shortly because it wasn't a goal. It still isn't, but it has become part of the FAwC culture.

On a personal note, I've always enjoyed the spire. It's a refreshing change from doing so many provs in the tourney. 300 prov battles is a lot more than the 48 (plus the 2nd and 3rd waves) of the spire.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
On a personal note, I've always enjoyed the spire. It's a refreshing change from doing so many provs in the tourney. 300 prov battles is a lot more than the 48 (plus the 2nd and 3rd waves) of the spire.
Just think of how much worse it would be under the old tournament format where there were 4 small encounters per tournament province! The 300 total tournament provinces you are doing would require 1200 encounters under that format.

Starderup

I used to give up on the spire after the resources exceeded the number of slots. I should have stuck with it. Since getting to the top for the first time, I have only missed once. I won a Dwarven Armorer on the final chest last week. If you want diamonds, you gotta roll the dice, and it will pay off if you are careful. Don't spend 25 to win a chance at 15. Take your licks, and abandon rather than pay. Very often, I win on the second try.