• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Cater or fight

DeletedUser29768

Unfortunately, you have to make a choice...Lean and Mean or Pretty, there is no both in that area. If you want to hit Spire and Tournament hard then it is Lean and Mean. If you just want to play "casually" then you can go "Pretty". There isn't enough land space to do both.
Agreed, the most efficient layout is never going to be most aesthetically pleasing. Of course, "pretty" players shouldn't expect to be super competitive in those areas (they probably don't care about ranking and efficiency, anway), but as it is they are often completely prevented from progressing. It's really an unfair arrangement: Elvenar looks like a casual, relaxing game with nice visuals, but in actuality it has been designed to be an extremely demanding, difficult game due to the developers' inexplicable conception that more challenge=more fun (which is true for some people, but certainly not all). IMO, If they want to be successful, they really need to make their game more accessible and fun for casual players.

Dew Spinner

To train enough troops for an all out fighting strategy, all you really need to do is to keep your Barracks, Training Ground, and Mercenary Camp at max level. And make sure you have a long enough training time that they never go idle between your log-ins. Dwarven Bulwark and/or Shrine of Shrooms is pretty much necessary to do this. I don't think it is possible to get enough training time from armories alone to keep max level military buildings training troops non-stop. The speed boosts from Needles, Victory Springs, and Flying Academy can also help you keep up with troop production. But to take full advantage of the speed boost these provide, you need the training time.
Already do all of that and being able to cater and fight equally well takes the stress off, I am never in need, I have tons of goods and plenty of troops because I am not dessimating either one every week. If you only grow apples and there is a RNG blight on the Apples, I can rely on my Oranges.

Last edited:

Dew Spinner

Agreed, the most efficient layout is never going to be most aesthetically pleasing. Of course, "pretty" players shouldn't expect to be super competitive in those areas (they probably won't care about ranking and efficiency, anway), but as it is they are often completely prevented from progressing. It's really an unfair arrangement: Elvenar looks like a casual, relaxing game with nice visuals, but in actuality it has been designed to be an extremely demanding, difficult game due to the developers' inexplicable conception that more challenge=more fun. If they want to be successful, they really need to make their game more accessible and fun for casual players.
I agree but that is not how the game is. Unfortunately, you have to take the game for what it is. There really is only 2 overall play styles...Competitive or Casual, after that there are many play styles in the competitive genre.

DeletedUser29768

I agree but that is not how the game is. Unfortunately, you have to take the game for what it is. There really is only 2 overall play styles...Competitive or Casual, after that there are many play styles in the competitive genre.
Yeah, I'm not expecting that they're going to change this. Just expressing my frustration, I guess, since the graphics are actually my favorite part of the game, but I don't feel like you can get the full experience with a casual city.

Dew Spinner

Yeah, I'm not expecting that they're going to change this. Just expressing my frustration, I guess, since the graphics are actually my favorite part of the game, but I don't feel like you can get the full experience with a casual city.
You might be able to go full lean and mean and then once you feel secure with enough troops and/or goods, go a bit "preety". I haven't tried that because I like cracking skulls! :)

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
PT? Nothing comes to mind. I almost never use my brown bear. I tend to use my time instants on other things. I guess I fall into the hybrid category. I have a very strong city if I choose to battle more. At least for now, choosing to negotiate the Spire, I’m well set up to breeze through it. I have thought about changing things up for a try but I need to figure out which troops to focus on training. That’s one of the things I tuned out on because it seemed like most conversations were elf cities. Mine is human. Things like that would be helpful for anybody to sort out if they want to rely more on battling.

Tehya1

Okay so how are we defining pretty? Are culture, pop, evolving and goods producing (other than manufacturing) buildings included in the necessary buildings? Please define pretty, because I have only a few pure culture buildings. Almost everything that I place has additional benefits.

DeletedUser26243

Like yourself I am a fighter and have a heavy selection of military AWs. But I think you are missing out if you pass on Golden Abyss and Prosperity Towers. Neither are combat oriented, but they are just so good they help almost any city. GA is the single best source of both population and gold on a square for square basis in the game. PT gives you supplies every 3 hours and also makes Power of Prosperity spells both longer lasting and more powerful. And if you are a heavy fighter and are training lots of troops, supplies can be an issue. Especially in the middle chapters.
I have thought bout PT it’s all ready to put out so far I have GA /needles/watchtower DB/Mt Halls/and MM I want to keep them pretty much leveled up together that will be my next AW the PT thanks

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I have thought about changing things up for a try but I need to figure out which troops to focus on training. That’s one of the things I tuned out on because it seemed like most conversations were elf cities. Mine is human. Things like that would be helpful for anybody to sort out if they want to rely more on battling.
Here is how I run my military in my human cities. Barracks makes at least 60% Priests. Sometimes more. Depends on what is going on. This is the only mage unit I use in human cities. Any remaining capacity from my barracks goes to training Paladins. Training grounds makes about 80% Cerberus. This is the only light melee unit I use. The other 20% I train is Dryads. Mercenary Camp trains about 60% Rangers and 40% Frogs. These are pretty much the only units I train.

Some notes: I have a max level Witch Hut, which give me lots of free Frogs. Without this I would have to train more. And I do think the Vallorian Veteran is better than Blessed Paladins. But I do not think the difference THAT great. Therefore I don't train any VVs. I settle for training Paladins (after making sure I have plenty of Priests). And keep my Mercenary Camp focused on Rangers and Frogs. I also have 6 Grounds of Orc Strategist giving me free Orc Strats.

DeletedUser26243

There's enough fighting in this thread. Maybe we should try catering.
Thanks y’all for the answers I now realize I’m not going for the pretty city I’m going for what ever it takes to to keep me going to top of spire n do my share in getting them 10 chests

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Thanks y’all for the answers I now realize I’m not going for the pretty city I’m going for what ever it takes to to keep me going to top of spire n do my share in getting them 10 chests
Those pretty cities are way over rated anyhow! All those Unicorns drop a lot of dung. I am sure they would not be as pretty if this were accurately depicted in the game. ;)