• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Barracks

Sir Bently

Ok I am in chapter 3 I would like to know is it worth upgrading the Barack's to train more troops or just leave it the Barack's at the level it is now or does make a difference ?

Iyapo1

It depends on you and your playstyle. If you plan on primarily catering encounters then leaving your barracks small and having no armories is a good idea. Most players fight and cater so upgrading the barracks and putting down armories is useful.

Nerwa

Context: I'm in Ch. 5 & am a hybrid/mostly fighting city w/3 armories & a level 11 barracks. Averaging 6 rounds/10 provinces in tournaments & have been topping the Spire since mid-ch. 4. I'm also a slow-growth player, which is a big factor.

I find that limiting my Barracks upgrades is ideal; I could have stayed at level 10 & been fine. I base my upgrades on how long it takes me to complete 1 production cycle, with 5 hours being optimal. That lets me use 5-hour time boosts efficiently if I want extra production. Usually 6-10 boosts a week keeps my troop numbers growing slightly & uses less than half the boosts from the Spire. Right now I'm running fast - only 4:40 per cycle - so I need to upgrade 2 of my armories to get back on target, but it's still in range.

Barracks switches from 4 to 5 slots when you upgrade to level 9 (humans) or 10 (elves). That's as high as I'd recommend anyone going unless troop production is an issue. If you can get away with just 4 slots, stay there. The 4-slot building is smaller & doesn't use up your resources. Far better (IMHO) to diversify your troops with multiple Orc Strategist Grounds & Vallorian Valor from the Magic Academy & various specialty troop-producing buildings (like the Witch Summoning Circle for Banshees).

I expect my strategy will change in higher chapters, but this is what's worked for me so far.

Last edited:

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Nerwa If you are in chapter 5 then the next chapter for you after that is Dwarves. And at the end of Dwarves you will unlock the Dwarven Bulwark ancient wonder. It is a game changer in terms of training size and how many troops you can load into your military buildings such as barracks. Even at only level 1 Dwarven Bulwark will normally provide training time equal to or better than 2 or 3 max level armories. When leveled it is even better. Mine are currently level 12 in all 3 of my cities. And they provide more training size than 6 max level armories for me. Once you get and level DB some, it starts to become possible to never stop training troops assuming you log in every 8 to 10 hours.

Nerwa

@Henroo I'm quite looking forward to the Dwarven Bulwark, but am not in a hurry to get there (for reasons both in-game & real life). The DB is part of why I expect my troop-producing tactics will change.

The OP is in Ch. 3, so pre-DB tactics are more immediately relevant. :)

Last edited:

Moho

Chef
does make a difference ?
It makes a huge difference. I'm in Chapter 5 and handle encounters mainly by fighting. It takes a long time to get there, and it is a complex process, but if you choose to cater, then everything will be costlier and more time consuming in the end.

But if you feel you won't enjoy winning encounters by fighting, then yes, you can ignore the military aspect of your city.

Iyapo1

but if you choose to cater, then everything will be costlier and more time consuming in the end.
Negotiating is actually much faster than auto battle. As for it being costlier...not sure about that. The pet food, boost buildings, upgrade costs, supplies, speedup timers used to make enough troops does not seem cheaper to me than the boost buildings, upgrade costs, supplies, and speedup timers used to make goods.

Edit for context: I am only in chapter 9 and I cater exclusively. I am far from "the end" and can hybridize at any point should I decide I need to, I just dont need to yet. Gold spire with a 5k tournament average, my barracks is lv 2 and I have 0 armories.

Last edited:

Moho

Chef
Negotiating is actually much faster than auto battle.
In my experience, that is only true when clearing provinces or in the tournament but not in the Spire, which I hold important. But everyone's experience is different, I guess. I strongly believe that my game is more efficent this way.

Iyapo1

In my experience, that is only true when clearing provinces or in the tournament but not in the Spire,
I have been playing mastermind or versions of it for decades so I can blow up the spire pretty quickly as long as I have the coin/supply rains to cover it (10-15 minutes).
Sometimes I toss out maggoty rules like...I can only use the coin/supply rains I earn in the spire or no rains or speedups allowed. But those are arbitrary rules set by me so...self inflicted delays.

Myne

Oh Wise One
I have been playing mastermind or versions of it for decades so I can blow up the spire pretty quickly as long as I have the coin/supply rains to cover it (10-15 minutes).
Sometimes I toss out maggoty rules like...I can only use the coin/supply rains I earn in the spire or no rains or speedups allowed. But those are arbitrary rules set by me so...self inflicted delays.

I had to look up mastermind game. Very creative use for a cribbage board. Interesting!

Raccon

As you move up the research tree of each chapter, you'll need to research ' squad size' in the research tree in order to access other researches connected to them like research for workshops etc... with some exceptions that the squad size upgrade is not connected to the next research.
So as your squad size grows, your troop production speed in your barracks drops, unless you upgrade barracks, or just be patient with the barrack's production pace depending on your gaming style .

FYI, from mid chapter 8 on you'll need orcs to pay for catering encounters , research activation costs and building upgrades cost. To produce enough orcs you'll need level 20 and up armoires. I know, some buildings like orc's nest can provide you some orcs, but they won't replace the production level of armories 100% and as you move to higher chapters the demand for orcs would increase.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
FYI, from mid chapter 8 on you'll need orcs to pay for catering encounters.

Not for this one, if you are not over-scouted, or do not scout way out in a line from center. If you stay exactly with how many provinces are needed to open each chapter, you will not need orcs for catering until you start chapter 10. If takes 222 provinces completed before you will need orcs for catering or if you go out so far in a line that you hit the 11th ring around your city.

Sir Bently

To me whichever strategy works the best for you then do it
As I mentioned before I still think if Inno would make it to where you could spend in game coins not just on KP, supplies, extra , make it to where you can have the option to either spend in game coins or real money they could do it if they really wanted to . I know I'm gonna hear it again bout here he goes again but so what , if you do it the right way it will work . Give us players the option whether to either spend in game coins or real money and the option what to spend it on . It's not a dumb idea and like I said so what that I mentioned it again

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
As I mentioned before I still think if Inno would make it to where you could spend in game coins not just on KP, supplies, extra , make it to where you can have the option to either spend in game coins or real money they could do it if they really wanted to . I know I'm gonna hear it again bout here he goes again but so what , if you do it the right way it will work . Give us players the option whether to either spend in game coins or real money and the option what to spend it on . It's not a dumb idea and like I said so what that I mentioned it again
Sir Bently, don't worry ... even if some of us disagree with you, we still respect your views and I for one, will not say "here he goes again." Have at it! This is your forum too! :)

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Maybe for a catering city?
But I fight a lot, so I need the training size increase from my armories.
Do they need to be mutually exclusive though? I fight a lot too. My Needles is almost at level 29 so I need lots of armories to lengthen my queue to cover my overnight, most of which is loaded on decent Shrewdy and Bulwark, but I have plenty of Orc Nests too. I have concluded it’s better to train my own Orc Strategists than having Ground of the Orc Strategists. I only need to train once every 7 slots or so and it is infinitely faster than harvesting from GotOS. I think the math for my situation is I need 47 GotOS for the amount of Orc Strategists I get from one training slot. For me, it’s a better use of space to have Orc Nests than GotOS. Any I don’t train can be used for catering or tech. So large training size from decent number of armories and lots of Orc Nests are a happy marriage here.