• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Recruiting

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
But don't worry about your streak, there is no chance INNO will even consider my proposal.
You never know! They're good at not giving us what we asked for and giving us what we never asked for. Something we asked for that is not very popular has a solid chance at maybe?

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
You are really saying this after Inno people said in the last Q&A "if people wanted more notification space, they should tell us?"
I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, just that such a conclusion is insane. The chances of inno being that insane are low, but certainly above zero.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Darielle,
I love your poetry and it will work for you . You are right, so many overviews sound alike, and when one gets a little original it is quickly copied.
I do have a letter and technique I use to identify potential members thats been successful, but I admit it is getting harder.
I am not surprised you found your first fs from Fellowship Seeking Members. As A newbie I did too.
Thank you, Able. Funny how a lot of us found our first fellowship right here, and some of us stayed to keep learning. I know I've learned so much here.

Darielle

I propose make joining a FS a maximum 2 year hitch (Like the army). As you approach your anniversary. you will get warnings that you will be automatically released from your FS and will have to be unattached for 7 days. AMs and possibly Mages will be exempt from automatic release.

During the week, you can explore other FS options and maybe meet new people. I think many players would like to leave their fs, but feel guilty in doing so. Thus provides as guilt free option. Of course you will have the option to re-up to you old fs.

Staying with the same FS with the same people can get old and lead to players leaving the game. I am just trying to stir things up to keep things interesting. Before shooting arrows at me, think about it a bit then shoot away.

Although I value "thinking outside of the box" and don't want to discourage "out there" ideas (some really do work) I honestly think this would create more problems than it solved. After all, the ONLY thing it would do is to allow players who feel tied down the freedom to lie to their former fellowship and say, "oh geez guys, I was planning to return but then so and so happened." No one would tell the truth. No one would ever say, "I've been wanting to leave for months, but have been too gutless to say so, so this gave me the opportunity." So one dubious problem is solved, but how many others are created?

How many fellowships will be going through their monthly spire push or tourney push, and suddenly, "oops, we just lost because some members were kicked out." How many players will be mad that they were about to get gold in spire or another tourney chest? Unless everyone gets kicked out at the same time, then you'll definitely have that problem ... and you mentioned 2 years in a fellowship. So that means tons of people will be thrown out at the worst possible time. A fellowship can't plan for that. If they have 4 players who have been with the fellowship and one has his two-year end this week, one next week, one the week after, SOMEONE is going to get scr... um... hurt by that policy, including the fellowship as a whole. And if you say, "well then, let's just have a day every two years when everyone is kicked out released, what a nightmare that would be for Inno. They had a hard enough time with the moves.

So in the end, who does this help? The few who want to be able to lie, and are too cowardly to do what they need to do. I do understand the guilt. I left one fellowship to chase gold in spire, and found that gold wasn't worth the camaraderie I had in my old place and I wanted to return, but the AM was having a series of tragedies and I felt bad for her, so I stayed on for months (until I realized the sympathy was misplaced). It's never easy to leave after you've built friendships. It's the same thing when leaving a job for something better, leaving a city and family behind, etc, etc. Nothing in life is ever easy. But do we kick everyone out of town every time someone decides that they'd really like to move but can't bear to disappoint their family? Do we fire everyone from a job because one person really wants to quit but can't get up the courage to say so? I know I'm going to extremes, but it's kinda the same line of thinking.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I pretty much gave up on recruiting. I just wait for someone to ask most of the time. I don't think a world chat would help much either. Sounds like a good way to create another argument fest like the forum has become many times only adding in resentments about who stole who's FS members. I'm not wild about an idea that could easily become a free for all. At least here there is Helya or other moderators to intervene when needed.

Darielle

AtaguS,
You and I do almost exactly the same thing, recruit tourney and Spire players, and target members is a fs where they outgrew the help they can get. A top 10 FS, or 10 Chest FS is definitely a better fit for them, but the smaller players and newbies left behind, lose a teacher. Sometimes its about the help they can give.
I am not knocking the methods, techniques and styles we all use to recruit.
I am just trying to think of and explore some new and different ideas.

I do agree with you on this. My first fellowship was stunned when we lost the best player, and we felt terrible. In the end, though, the AM disbanded the fellowship and both she and I eventually wound up in the fellowship where the best player had gone. It worked out in the end, but it was a terrible blow to this newbie at the time.

SoggyShorts

I pretty much gave up on recruiting. I just wait for someone to ask most of the time. I don't think a world chat would help much either. Sounds like a good way to create another argument fest like the forum has become many times only adding in resentments about who stole who's FS members. I'm not wild about an idea that could easily become a free for all. At least here there is Helya or other moderators to intervene when needed.
World chats are generally moderated too (and with a heavier hand than our gentle&forgiving helya in my experience)
I think world chat would be nice though- it would give something to do during that first damn spire gate. Mostly it would be for newer players and would help immensely with retention.
Imagine a "help" tab in the global chat. Last facebook Q&A there were questions like "If I don't collect an event prize until I change chapters will it be level 5 or 6?" and the inno employees didn't know!
Easily accessible and near-instant answers to questions and advice would be priceless (and cost nothing for inno!)

Alram

Flippers just flip
@Darielle
It really does come down to dishonesty both ways. Someone doesn't want to remove players they think of as underperforming so they'll just wait for the autokick and not let the player back in.
People who aren't happy in their current FS should seek a better fit instead of messing up everyone else's game.

Hueanthar

I propose make joining a FS a maximum 2 year hitch (Like the army). As you approach your anniversary. you will get warnings that you will be automatically released from your FS and will have to be unattached for 7 days.

No, leave a week or few weeks earlier, and reset the clock.

How many fellowships will be going through their monthly spire push or tourney push, and suddenly, "oops, we just lost because some members were kicked out." How many players will be mad that they were about to get gold in spire or another tourney chest? Unless everyone gets kicked out at the same time, then you'll definitely have that problem ... and you mentioned 2 years in a fellowship. So that means tons of people will be thrown out at the worst possible time. A fellowship can't plan for that. If they have 4 players who have been with the fellowship and one has his two-year end this week, one next week, one the week after, SOMEONE is going to get scr... um... hurt by that policy, including the fellowship as a whole. And if you say, "well then, let's just have a day every two years when everyone is kicked out released, what a nightmare that would be for Inno. They had a hard enough time with the moves.

Definitely agree that recruiting is, for many of us, by far the hardest task in Elvenar. However, adding a step making it more difficult to stay in the same fellowship and adding a punishment (no fellowship for 7 days) unless you join a different one gets an absolute no from me. This adds more work for players who are happy in their fellowships for the sole purpose of ‘possibly’ making it easier for fellowships to pick up a new player. And how many players will remember, or even know, to leave and rejoin fellowships once every two years to reset the clock? We need solutions that make the game less convoluted, not more.

This would also, as pointed out by @Darielle, hurt players and fellowships when players are “automatically released” right in the middle of a tournament, Spire, event, FA.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Wow, If that's the case, then I underestimated them. Are you one of those player or know someone who has not miss a week in 2 years.
I would like to congratulate them.
Hi there :)
I moved, and still played with my primary sentient level cities. My alt got awarded :diamond: for returning after an absence though.

Elf Emma

I just wish the "Find Members" ingame feature was a viable solution.

It seems pretty useless to me because it puts the same names up, over and over again. And all of those players are either inactive, don't want to be in a fellowship and/or don't have the boosts that a fellowship needs.

Why can't that be improved upon so filling empty spots is easier??? Seems like such a waste to have a feature that is dysfunctional.

Darielle

I just wish the "Find Members" ingame feature was a viable solution.

It seems pretty useless to me because it puts the same names up, over and over again. And all of those players are either inactive, don't want to be in a fellowship and/or don't have the boosts that a fellowship needs.

Why can't that be improved upon so filling empty spots is easier??? Seems like such a waste to have a feature that is dysfunctional.
I'd love to be able to sort members by their boosts. Marble group, Gems group, etc ... each member would be in three groups.

Sir Bently

For the most part, Chat or Want Ads or the like, involves poaching players from other FS. Rarely do you find someone unattached (other than newbies) who just happens to want to join a FS just as you are looking. Many will poach other FS for their cream players, which I think is ultimately bad for the game especially as those left behind lose a mentor or teacher or trading partner. Those players are likely to give up and leave.
I am guilty of that, and not happy about it.

So the question becomes, how do you make more players unattached to a FS and fair game for recruiting.

My suggestion is thinking outside the box. I dont believe it will ever be implemented. But fun to discuss.

I propose make joining a FS a maximum 2 year hitch (Like the army). As you approach your anniversary. you will get warnings that you will be automatically released from your FS and will have to be unattached for 7 days. AMs and possibly Mages will be exempt from automatic release.

During the week, you can explore other FS options and maybe meet new people. I think many players would like to leave their fs, but feel guilty in doing so. Thus provides as guilt free option. Of course you will have the option to re-up to you old fs.

Staying with the same FS with the same people can get old and lead to players leaving the game. I am just trying to stir things up to keep things interesting. Before shooting arrows at me, think about it a bit then shoot away.
Bad idea !

Aritra

Aritra, Hats off to you, two consecutive years without missing a tournament is a remarkable achievement.

As to World Chat you talked about earlier, I am all for that provided its in a separate tab. I haven't heard that INNO will implement it for Elvenar.

But don't worry about your streak, there is no chance INNO will even consider my proposal.
Are you talking about me? I have said nothing about World Chat....

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I'd love to be able to sort members by their boosts. Marble group, Gems group, etc ... each member would be in three groups.
You can also tell a player's boosted by visiting the map. The three boosted forms a triangle around their city. For example, mine are steel, crystal, and elixir (we're in elixir tourney). When cities get moved by the algo, they need to still match these in their new location in order to fit.
boosted triangle.jpg

SoggyShorts

go to elvenstats ( FS view ), use column headers as sort critera, most are clickable ;)
You can also tell a player's boosted by visiting the map. The three boosted forms a triangle around their city. For example, mine are steel, crystal, and elixir (we're in elixir tourney). When cities get moved by the algo, they need to still match these in their new location in order to fit.
Surely there is an in-game solution that wouldn't require that much work.
The columns and clickable headers from Elvenstats incorporated for example.

Whenever a feature is desired and the solution is "go to a different website and ________" that's a bad solution IMO.