• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Mykans Guide - Magic Academy and Spells

Mykan

Oh Wise One
This guide forms part of a larger guide Mykan's Guide

Magic academy
The magic academy allows you to produce spells which use non-boosted relics. Ensure you have a sufficient supply of the relics required for the spells you want to use. Tournaments can be great to supplement province expansions for this purpose, (refer tournaments). Tournaments also provide spells as rewards and you can plan your approach in tournaments to maximise obtaining a certain spell.

When to build
Deciding when to build the magic academy is an important decision, this is a permanent building and cannot be deleted once built. You unlock this technology early at a critical development time and it is a large building. You may choose to build this immediately or delay building. Factors to consider in your decision:
  1. Availability of relics accumulated and ability to collect them regularly for producing spells.
  2. Efficiency of space, can you use the space for something else for greater efficiency
  3. Efficiency of spells you plan to use, refer below.
  4. Cost of delaying building
    1. Your main quest line will stop at the quest to build a magic academy until you build it.
    2. Event quests often require spells from the magic academy which may impact your participation in events if you have not built it yet.
When to use spells
Learning how and when to use spells to maximise the benefits is important. If the spell ends before your production completes you will gain no benefit from that production.

Saving your spells for emergency situations or later in the game can be a good option. This will let you build up a stock of spells and ensure you are not dependent on them as a strategy, but use them to enhance your approach. As spells often provide a % increase this has a greater impact on quantity later in the game when your buildings give more as a base amount. For example 200% of 400 supplies is 800 supplies but 200% of 4,000 supplies is 8,000 supplies for the same cost of 1 spell. While not essential it can be beneficial to save workshop spells for guest race eras as the upgrades and technologies can be very demanding on your supplies.

As a general rule for spells that improve production, cast the spell before collecting the resource that will be boosted. This maximises the use of the spell and allows long production times to benefit at the time you cast the spell and then for the duration of the spell.

Efficiency
For towns focused on efficiency the magic academy raises multiple questions regarding its efficiency. The spells are critical to determining this. Power of provision and magical manufacturing spell effects were compared to how many squares it would take to produce with workshops or factories compared to the space the academy occupies. In the table below a yes indicates that the spell effects in squares was greater than the space the academy occupies. It was also assumed you had built the best free-to-play building available for each era for residence, culture and relevant factory or workshop.

frUF0BhDDdbhEfKfk2PjK1jXPZDWKgmGSzZOvYR_AN8wJzteoHwajI7nSEzxzGd1Fl-lykTgTlpNzz_fh3uOPid4E7XzMl6my_SzIAY1S3hd8OkZNT1tNdmPQFUgI6ZDWpIrvDs1

The table below shows the details for the power of provision calculation used to determine the above. The same process was followed for all factories.
GjudOzpxX4hM6V22w1FsWBEgF0iJwAWceo2S_ODBOegOwiix77mJZ2VoGFpvq4xixEBbjPa9vqEFbJqOUai1hVgP76XDk9UWn6GIpdiHGS8hYbhqrvJVY0wS3ToZCK_SJLnAAtcP

For ensorcelled endowment the benefit of the spell was calculated based on how many extra squares of workshops or residences you would need to earn an equivalent supplies and coins. The same assumptions on buildings was made as for workshops above. Everyone has a different number of buildings so use the matrix below as a guide to determine the spells benefit for your particular situation. If the saved squares is less than 25 for elves and 20 for humans one would argue the spell is an inefficient use of the magic academy.

grK-BIPik9i_1ICwoLvBcl_Opd2Wf4reU51wmgt63i-cWp0SXfq-Rt8OdUAHKpLdex4FMc6TYo2Pu-Bc0h5gG7KwFq-6A5nXW8Wf1gcikIbLC3VGAjiTn8UraYCnzTKsMNAkdUJy

Spells as rewards
There are a few ways that spells can be earned as a reward:
  1. When providing help to neighbours in one of the chests that randomly appear. Not all spells are found in these chests
  2. In the chests on the technology tree at the advanced scouts technology for completing a certain number of provinces.
  3. As individual rewards in tournaments. Not all spells are available as individual rewards.
  4. As fellowship rewards in tournaments
Spell_source.jpg

Spells
Power of provision
Effect
: Increases supply production by 200% on a single workshop

This has the ability to quickly boost your supplies when it is needed, or can be used regularly to reduce the need for additional workshops, assuming you can regularly get or produce the spell. This spell applies to the building as soon as it is cast even to supplies waiting to be collected. Thus casting it prior to collection will allow you to gain maximum benefit from the spell. If possible run small productions while the spell is active to maximise gains.

This spell is a regular reward in tournaments so using it to generate supplies for goods, resources or armies in tournaments can be a way to allow you to participate in tournaments for a minimal amount if you can get enough spells to cover the cost of supplies you used.

Ensorcelled endowment
Effect: Increases culture bonus by 5%

The spell requires 2 things to work:
  • The culture building it is cast on to be boosted
  • Your town needs to already have a culture bonus, so at least the 125% level or higher
If either condition is not met than the spell does nothing.

Towns that work on minimal culture should avoid this spell. For those who use the culture bonus the spell will boost your culture bonus by 5% for each use of the spell. For example:
  1. You have a 125% bonus and cast the spell once you now have a 130% culture bonus
  2. You have a 125% bonus and cast the spell three times you now have a 140% culture bonus
You can achieve a culture bonus in excess of 200% if you have a high enough bonus before the spell and enough spells active. The spell when activated, with the criteria above, will apply immediately. Use of it first thing in the morning or a long absence is great so that your residences are full of coins and large supplies production at your workshops. With other spells using it in this way allows you to increase the effect length of the spells benefit.

This boosts your culture bonus it increases what the culture bonus does which is to increase your coins and supplies. Goods are not impacted by the culture bonus so they receive no benefit, there is the magical manufacturing spell for them.

As the spell only works when help is provided to the culture building it is common for neighbours and fellowship members to ignore your requested help in favour of helping the building with the spell on it. Most people assume you want the spell to work so they assist there first. Be aware of this when using the spell and note if you cast it on a low culture value building your neighbours will favour that over a high culture value building.

Magical manufacturing
Effect: Increases goods production by 50% on a single manufactory

This has the ability to quickly boost your goods when it is needed or can be used regularly to reduce the need for additional manufactories, assuming you can produce or earn the spell. This spell applies to the building as soon as it is cast even to goods waiting to be collected. Thus casting it prior to collection will allow you to gain maximum benefit from the spell. If possible run smaller productions while the spell is active to maximise gains.

This spell is a regular reward in tournaments so using it to generate goods that you use in tournaments can be a way to allow you to participate in tournaments for a reduced cost.

Inspiring meditation
Effect: Increases your limit of knowledge points from 10 to 20

This spell is useful if you will be away from the game for greater than 10 hours and less than 2 days (spell duration).

This spell is considered to be quite valuable and cannot be found in the chests when visiting neighbours. It is available in tournaments, but only by achieving a high fellowship reward.

Last edited:

DeletedUser7370

This spell is considered to be quite valuable and cannot be found in the chests when visting neighbours. It is also only available in tournaments by achieving a high fellowship reward.
I would recommend changing the last sentence there to this less confusing one: "It is also available in tournaments, but only by achieving a high fellowship reward." As you currently have it worded it sounds like the magic academy can not even produce this spell.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I would recommend changing the last sentence there to this less confusing one: "It is also available in tournaments, but only by achieving a high fellowship reward." As you currently have it worded it sounds like the magic academy can not even produce this spell.

Thank you, I have made that change and added a graphic to help as well.

DeletedUser4993

This guide forms part of a larger guide Mykan's Guid
Spells

Ensorcelled endowment
Effect: Increases culture bonus by 5%

The spell requires 2 things to work:
  • The culture building it is cast on to be boosted
  • Your town needs to already have a culture bonus, so at least the 125% level or higher
If either condition is not met than the spell does nothing.

Towns that work on minimal culture should avoid this spell. For those who use the culture bonus the spell will boost your culture bonus by 5% for each use of the spell. For example:
  1. You have a 125% bonus and cast the spell once you now have a 130% culture bonus
  2. You have a 125% bonus and cast the spell three times you now have a 140% culture bonus

I am a bit confused about the using the Enscrolled Endowment spell. It seems if I cast it twice on one culture the spell just lasts longer than if you cast it just the one time. TYIA

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I am a bit confused about the using the Enscrolled Endowment spell. It seems if I cast it twice on one culture the spell just lasts longer than if you cast it just the one time. TYIA

This spell can stack in 2 ways:
1. By casting on the same building more than once - This will extend the time that the spell effects the specific building for
2. By casting on different buildings - This will increase the bonus, due to multiple 5% bonuses. If your base bonus was 150% than 1 spell on 1 building would give you 155% but if the spell was on 2 buildings it would be 160%

HelenaReign

This spell can stack in 2 ways:
1. By casting on the same building more than once - This will extend the time that the spell effects the specific building for
2. By casting on different buildings - This will increase the bonus, due to multiple 5% bonuses. If your base bonus was 150% than 1 spell on 1 building would give you 155% but if the spell was on 2 buildings it would be 160%
How high can the culture bonus go? Is there a max of 175%?

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I wonder then what the limit is.

No idea if there is a limit. I am aware of people having 200%.

I would not be surprised if there is no limit, you need enough culture buildings and visitors to receive the bonus which in itself provides a cap on how high you can go. There is also a main hall cap on coins and supplies which again limits the usefulness of having a high %. Even if you could reach 1000% bonus the main hall caps and rising prices at wholesaler and KP purchasing soon provide their own cap.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I've gotten 205 regularly with 7 ensorcelled buildings all hot. I think the only maximum is based on how many culture buildings you can get polished.

Porcinus

This guide doesnt seem to cover when we use the MA to craft Summonings and Instants. I found the MA worthwhile just for the opportunity to make boosted relics or buildings such as Vallorian Valor.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
This guide doesnt seem to cover when we use the MA to craft Summonings and Instants. I found the MA worthwhile just for the opportunity to make boosted relics or buildings such as Vallorian Valor.
Yes, it was written in 2016 before you had those opportunities. I would love it if Mykan could write an updated version.