• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

All Hail Buddy!

Raccon

Yes and no. When talking about battles, I think we have to talk about how deep we are going in provinces versus painting with broad strokes. The first 10 provinces are nothing like the upper provinces and shouldn’t be fought the same way!
Agreed, one can get away with auto fight in early provinces. I go up to 16 with auto fight if the enemy lineup isn't too forbidding above10th province, like mages and heavies, mages and LM's etc.. which can be dealt with one troop type on my side. In the spier some times I can get away with mostly auto fight, but most of the time I have to swich to manual for obvious reasons.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Agreed, one can get away with auto fight in early provinces. I go up to 16 with auto fight if the enemy lineup isn't too forbidding above10th province, like mages and heavies, mages and LM's etc.. which can be dealt with one troop type on my side. In the spier some times I can get away with mostly auto fight, but most of the time I have to swich to manual for obvious reasons.
Perhaps the obvious answer here is you forgot to bring a Buddy to battle. She is very nice and forgiving. I mean…
So thanks for continuing to come to my city even whilst I ignored you; ALL HAIL BUDDY!!

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
When talking about battles, I think we have to talk about how deep we are going in provinces versus painting with broad strokes.

Speaking of broad brush strokes, almost everyone in every combat discussion also acts like the fighting is the same for everyone, regardless of chapter, which we know is not true, unless everyone in the conversation is at the end of chapter 15 and has all troops at 3 stars. Aside from that, all 15 troops are not even researched at even 1 star until early chapter 11 when the Frogs are finally unlocked.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Actually the long range mage units (Priests and Blossoms) can normally deal just fine with light melee units with no other unit types to help **as long as none of those light melee units are a dog**. If the enemy unit mix has 1 or 2 Thieves or Orcs as their light melee component I routinely will send 5 units of either Priest or Blossoms if mage units are a good matchup against the rest of the line-up. Mind you, I have Dragon Abbey, a L10 Fire Phoenix, and always have a Mage Multiplier building active when doing tournament/spire. So my mage units have a lot of firepower.
Now I never would have dreamed of matching a blossom against a light melee. That's wild. But I guess with a mage multiplier and the other fire power, anything is possible. That's a creative thought process to come up with that one. The thieves say they are four stars against mages. I guess it depends upon which mages. I'll have to try that sometime.

crackie

*puts down crayons*
Now I never would have dreamed of matching a blossom against a light melee. That's wild. But I guess with a mage multiplier and the other fire power, anything is possible. That's a creative thought process to come up with that one. The thieves say they are four stars against mages. I guess it depends upon which mages. I'll have to try that sometime.
Blossom is effective against the Thief, even in late provinces. This is because the Thief only has 3 movement, but Blossom's range is 5. Thief can't reach Blossom if Blossom keeps retreating and then firing, well at least for a bunch of shots. So Blossom can potentially kill a Thief without taking damage. The Ancient Orc and Hellhounds are different. They both have a lot of movement and can reach Blossom on their opening rounds. Ancient Orc can reach her in his 1st move if she moves forward with her 2 movement and Hellhound can reach her whether or not she moves generally. Hellhound is trickiest because it has a 70% defense bonus against mages to boot. So however many Blossoms it takes to kill one Ancient Orc, you're likely going to need at least another shot on the Hellhound. I have a lvl 10 Fire Phoenix and lvl 26 Dragon Abbey, but after the first few provinces, I'm still going to need more than one to take down an Ancient Orc or Hellhound. If Hellhound is in Positions I, IV, and V, then you have a shot to kill it since he's shifted up in short position so he is within range of multiple Blossoms. A Hellhound in Positions II and III can only be reached by one Blossom on opening round and you prob won't kill it with only one shot. Therefore, unless you pair Blossom with a frog, that Hellhound will get at least one bite in on your mages (this is what I mean by initiative and movement dictating things). From my observations, they target Blossoms first out of all your mages too. I think it was @samidodamage who used the term "squishy" to describe Blossom's soft defensive nature. Buddy can survive one bite, but Blossom might not.

crackie

dreamyn-bud.png

Zoof

As mentioned before, I like protecting my blossoms and buddies with attractive ambulatory arboreal archers. The green gals are like phone utility boxes: Dogs love to sniff around them first, and the ranged folk love plinking at them.

crackie

For your contributions and courage in promoting an unpopular opinion about Bud Sorceress on the forum, I, crackie, Self-Appointed President of the Bud Sorceress Fan Club, hereby declare you a Friend of the Bud Sorceress as well. :D
sami-bud.png

That color crayon is called "Grape" in case you're redecorating.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
*puts down crayons*

Blossom is effective against the Thief, even in late provinces. This is because the Thief only has 3 movement, but Blossom's range is 5. Thief can't reach Blossom if Blossom keeps retreating and then firing, well at least for a bunch of shots. So Blossom can potentially kill a Thief without taking damage.

Does the AI really know to make the blossom retreat and then fire? Since I only autofight, does this really work with that?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Isn't the auto fight algorithm work best with one troop type? I usually lose a couple of squads by using two different troop types!

This is didn't know. Now I have a good idea of why I get surprised when I auto fight with 3, 4, or even 5 types of troops. I'll have to cut back on that and keep it to 2 types almost all the time. Thanks for mentioning it.

AJ

DeletedUser27062

And here I thought I had a "big" horde of 48 pet food and 100 plus squads of each, lol. I bow to your numbers. :)

Then again, I always lose troops at higher rates than you did because I've never manual fought, always auto. But I get by, and I love my blossoms. They usually are the last to die in any fight where they're used to advantage. A combo of blossoms and frogs can destroy heavy and light melee without a single loss. But I don't have that combo too often, so yeah, autofight does lose a lot of troops.
Someone in one of my other fs has 470 pet food! I have 9...

crackie

Does the AI really know to make the blossom retreat and then fire? Since I only autofight, does this really work with that?
Yes. Again, you’d have to pay heed to where you are in the provinces and how many other light melee there are. If there are more than 2, I don’t recommend using Blossoms as there are more efficient solutions. Even with a pretty high Dragon Abbey and Fire Phoenix, it will take at least 2 Blossoms to kill one light melee by prob province 8-10. If you only have 5 units to work with and 4 of them are on 2 light melee, that leaves one unit to do something to the remaining 3 enemies in the first round. If they are fast moving units with lots of movement, you will take heavy hits. But if there’s only one light melee and it’s the thief, then yes, Blossom is pretty effective against her even if on paper, the advantage is for thief. Same thing with the Knight. Blossom is only unit for elf players to be able to kill him while staying out of his range (frogs don’t work well on him).

Someone in one of my other fs has 470 pet food! I have 9...
While we are on the topic of unpopular opinions, I do feel like there is a surge in pet food of late. My stash is growing even though I am using 4-5 a week. Not enough for me to spend it on Twilight Phoenix willy nilly though.

crackie

There's a player on Arendyll with 9 or 10 fully evolved twilight phoenix - that's a lot of pet food!
The #1 tourney player of AR on EN server has I think 13 fully evolved Red Pandas. I guess that might pay for itself if you win diamonds cycling through Mystery Object chests to pay to cycle for more Pet Food? Still excessive, but you can’t Twilight your way to 10 more Pet Food after you’ve fed them. I don’t see how sustainable it is. I guess there are a lot of incredibly well prepared players out there! I rely on Buddy to keep my troops alive!