• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Forum Update

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
To no one in particular since this is irreversible and it's a 3rd party software, but I don’t like the new user interface to post. :confused:

Zoof

To no one in particular since this is irreversible and it's a 3rd party software, but I don’t like the new user interface to post. :confused:
I agree wholeheartedly. (EDIT: Link warning: Leads to TVTropes) Though I only really have two complaints, aside from the given "why isn't everything where it was anymore?"

1. I love strikethrough text. It makes being funny and/or honest easier. Now it's harder to get to.
2. The interface seems smoother, more... rounded. As if the forum software devs thought we're children who might accidentally cut or shred themselves on the formerly sharp corners of the box. (which, to be fair to the devs, is a reasonable assumption). It feels rather... offensive? Insulting? Like a slight slight against my sensibilities that's slightly out of sight such that you can't point a finger and say "this is why"

EDIT: The "preview" thing in new posts is much, much clunkier, though previewing a post in post(-production) now seems easier. At least, for this post. Attaching files, however, has gotten much more infuriating to do. Especially if the purpose of the attachment is to insert an image into the post. Maybe I'll get used to it.

EDIT2: Omg. Okay. No need to panic. I just discovered that they finally added the ability to directly paste images into a post from clipboard after immediate capture. No need to go through Paint or whatever to save the file to disk/cloud, then upload or link. I think I'm in love already. My complaints are somewhat still valid, but I feel so much more inclined to put up with the changes if this is what I could add in the meantime.

Random image of desktop environment
1652923245468.png

This is not the image you are looking for... *Jedi handwave*

Last edited:

crackie

Why hide everything when there's still ROOM?! Even on mobile, it doesn't take advantage of all the space available. The new preview method is the worst part of the update.

BTW the BBCode for strikethrough is just put the strike-through text between "S" tags, so it's easier to just type the tags than find the UI button. Like so:
Code:
[s]Oops[/s].
It will appear as:
Oops.

dumb UI.jpg

Iyapo1

Under the old system I couldn't strike through because I never could remember the BBCode...now there is a button. I like that a lot. It even works

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Under the old system I couldn't strike through because I never could remember the BBCode...now there is a button
Huh??
The old system had the A, S, and U buttons showing without using a drop down menu.
The change is okay I guess; I figured things out fairly easily. I am also confused as to the reason why, though? I'm not sure if we got other options that weren't here previously, but I don't think so? Just made seeing the ones that have always been available a bit more difficult?
The 'Preview' thing annoys me, too. I preferred being able to read the preview and edit the post in the same window. Now, I have to switch back and forth.
I wonder (since it's third party software) if the changes were made to the basic layout to accommodate other features on the vendor's more costly software packages? While I appreciate Inno's willingness to host their own game forums I'm pretty sure they're not going to offer a premium product. After all, many game companies don't host their own forums at all.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I still wish there were like buttons in the lounge. Why couldn't they do that instead of adding doodads?

crackie

The old system had the A, S, and U buttons showing without using a drop down menu.
I thought so too, but I don't have the greatest of memories and I've been typing out the code for strikethrough since it's faster than stopping to move the mouse and clicking a button. Strikethrough for the masses in every post!
The 'Preview' thing annoys me, too. I preferred being able to read the preview and edit the post in the same window. Now, I have to switch back and forth.
I know! I was also thinking...poor @Zoof will have to do more editing.
I wonder (since it's third party software) if the changes were made to the basic layout to accommodate other features on the vendor's more costly software packages?
Usually you just buy a license for the forum software and then you get free updates for the term of the license because they have to push security patches and stuff. It looks like if you host the software yourself (which I assume they are if they already have their own servers and tech staff), it's a one time fee of $160 for "lifetime" use.
I still wish there were like buttons in the lounge. Why couldn't they do that instead of adding doodads?
Yeah, that's the thing. I don't think they added anything! They just moved stuff around :confused::rolleyes:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Yeah, that's the thing. I don't think they added anything! They just moved stuff around :confused::rolleyes:
Ah yes ... you're right. Moving stuff around doesn't seem as useful to me as adding like buttons. :)

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I think that's one of the options Inno does have control over. It was explained long ago that they prefer not to enable 'likes' in the Lounge since they would increase member 'reaction score'. They didn't want to include those 'likes' because they were not game related.
;)

Zoof

@crackie Just found out that you can post images directly from clipboard via Ctrl+V. No more having to actually save a screenshot before posting. Huzzah! Also, edited my post above to demonstrate this as I was editing it there. That's where I found out after I thought to try it

Also, apparently Ctrl+S enables/disables strikethrough. Ctrl+B for bold, as it has been, and Ctrl+I for italics. Haven't yet tried for other hotkeys.

LisaMV

WHY can't I "like" any of these posts?! y'argh (that's fancy for 'argh')
And the emoji/fontaholic here has to go digging in nested little invisible menus?! Y'ARGHETH!!! (that fancy Shakespeare for 'argh')
Hm.
Should I be lazy and deal with the font I was dealt, or spend 3 minutes fomatting...? *sigh*
Here are all my likes: LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE
:rolleyes:

crackie

Haha, sorry all. I put it in the Lounge instead of General Discussions because it wasn't exactly game related, so no LIKEs in this thread.
@crackie Just found out that you can post images directly from clipboard via Ctrl+V. No more having to actually save a screenshot before posting. Huzzah! Also, edited my post above to demonstrate this as I was editing it there. That's where I found out after I thought to try it

Also, apparently Ctrl+S enables/disables strikethrough. Ctrl+B for bold, as it has been, and Ctrl+I for italics. Haven't yet tried for other hotkeys.
I guess they did add new features then! Also interesting they used the Ctrl+S shortcut for strikethrough, even though that is universally used for saving files (must judiciously use strikethroughs in this thread).

P.S. Your Jedi mind trick didn't work. Is that Python? Are you scared of curly brackets?

LisaMV

just trying your ç shortcuts... (lol! that didn't work)
hm. apple must have different shortcuts
ç≈´ß what?? lol
I'm not tired.
I found ut! it
LOL!
oops I mean lol, and zzz
:) thanks, you wonderful Masters of Wit & Wisdom!

Zoof

I've also noted (though I'm not sure if it's always been this way) that you can draft your post first without any formatting, then do the Ctrl+[hotkey] on selected text to apply the formatting at that point. One hand on keyboard, the other on mouse. Feels nice.

P.S. Your Jedi mind trick didn't work. Is that Python? Are you scared of curly brackets?
It actually is Python! Using 3.9 but my friend is trying to get me to install 3.10. Wonderful prototyping language it is. Though in this case, it's futzing around with Tensorflow and its neural networking thingies. Can't say much more, though. This gig's got an NDA attached to it, but it's more about what the NN is for than anything else. Someday I'll show off an example of eye-searingly terribad C code

crackie

Yes, @LisaMV! That is proper judicious use of strikethrough!!! Though, the shortcut method doesn't have any indication what mode you're in.
I've also noted (though I'm not sure if it's always been this way) that you can draft your post first without any formatting, then do the Ctrl+[hotkey] on selected text to apply the formatting at that point. One hand on keyboard, the other on mouse. Feels nice.
Yes, that worked on the old version of the forum. That's usually available in a WYSIWYG editor.
Can't say much more, though. This gig's got an NDA attached to it. Someday I'll show off an example of eye-searingly terribad C code
Haha. That reminds me of the time I tried to help someone with formatting something for their presentation. She sends me this stern warning about not sharing it with anyone because it contained proprietary research data. It was something about Marine Biology. I was like yeah, let's see how far I get trying to sell this on the Marine Biology black market of the dark web. She's like, "OK, point taken."

crackie

Not being able to move the cursor behind a smilie face after you plop one down is also an annoying new forum "feature". :rolleyes::eek:
:confused::mad::po_O

LisaMV

OH! and not being able to "Like" crackie's post is really annoying! Let me spend 5 min changing my font and finding appropriate smilies...
:) YES! what is with that annoying stuck cursor?! even my arrow buttons don't work. yikes...
and while I am at it, when I select "ALL" and change the font, it doesn't work for any of my new typing. Yargh.
Will anyone like my post? How will I know? OMG cursor stuck on emoji, again! :( [ok 4 min later edit done. yikes. ]
:cool:;):(o_O:diamond:

crackie

Every time someone tries to like a post in the Lounge, everyone has to take a shot of Jagermeister.