• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Elvenar for Kids

Mrietha

This is not really a question about Elvenar, but in a round about way it is.
My Granddaughter has watched and help me play. She has become fascinated. In fact she is even able to make logical spire decisions.
But she is only 7, and I'm not with her enough for her to play with me regularly.
Are there other games like Elvenar that she could play on her own?

Huor

Rise of cultures, another Inno game might be fun for her. It has no private chat system and the alliance chat is well filtered. I think elvenar is also fine for kids as long as the fellowship knows and is ok with them playing (same with roc). My only concern with elvenar would be that a private chat can always be abused. The problem with most games is not the game, but the ads. The ads are NOT filtered. I'm surprised at what junk is being pushed these days. The game developers will tell you they have no control over the ads. google and apple feed them and they are both about anything for a buck.

quin629

At that age I'd recommend self-contained PC games rather than anything online, both to avoid the ads and the potential for someone to abuse the chat functions. Many online games require a minimum age precisely for those reasons. There are still a lot of "simulation" and "tycoon" series games that will allow even a very young player to learn how to put a lot of moving parts together, grow their city / railroad / business / whatever. A little older and Civilization might also be a good option.

Alram

Flippers just flip
The spire negotiation game in Elvenar is based on an old codebreaker game called Mastermind. You can find several free in an app store. Most can be played in "airplane mode" so no ads. There's also real world hands on games she can play solo.

Last edited:

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Are there other games like Elvenar that she could play on her own?
If she likes the city building aspect there is an old series of PC games called Civilization. Many editions of it were released over a 20+ year period of time. I'm not sure what the most current edition is. Instead of building a single city, you are building an entire civilization. You start in 4000 BC with a group of settlers. Civ is a turn based game so it can move faster than Elvenar. In Elvenar a 3 hour run of productions is going to take 3 hours, no matter what. While in Civ you could play many turns in 3 hours. I found that many of the strategies and techniques I used from my days playing Civ worked well when I was growing and developing my cities in Elvenar. Civ can be played in single player fashion, so you would not have to worry about online safety issues.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
If she likes the city building aspect there is an old series of PC games called Civilization. Many editions of it were released over a 20+ year period of time. I'm not sure what the most current edition is. Instead of building a single city, you are building an entire civilization. You start in 4000 BC with a group of settlers. Civ is a turn based game so it can move faster than Elvenar. In Elvenar a 3 hour run of productions is going to take 3 hours, no matter what. While in Civ you could play many turns in 3 hours. I found that many of the strategies and techniques I used from my days playing Civ worked well when I was growing and developing my cities in Elvenar. Civ can be played in single player fashion, so you would not have to worry about online safety issues.
YES! Civilization is my all-time favorite game! I've been playing since first one came out 30yrs ago. I actually started playing Elvenar because I figured I needed a new game once the pandemic hit. Civ games are marathons and if we're to be coup up at at home for long periods, I'd never get off the computer. Asked my friend to pick out a new game for me to try and he picked Elvenar. My 5yo nephew used to watch me play Civ 6. One day he ran over to me with a book to show me the Korean hwacha, which he learned from the game. I get the same excitement, except I pick up things from the game in movies instead of books (since I don't like to read). I haven't let him play yet though because I think it's a bit too complex still. Maybe when he's 10 I'll get it for him. It is very educational though. Besides the history/culture aspect, you have to be good at resource management to excel. We are currently having a jolly good time playing TABS (Totally Accurate Battle Simulator) with my niece too and she's 6. It's really silly and goofy, but lots of laughs (also has hwachas in the game). I used to let them play simple mobile games like Fruit Ninja, but I'm concerned about the in-game purchases that drives the revenue of those games if I leave the kids alone with my phone for awhile so I moved to PC.

Also found out some players in my fellowship play Civ as well. We started a multiplayer game, but since we're all at various Civ skill levels, we can't play a normal game since one of them is a beginner and I play at Deity difficulty. Therefore, we're playing to see who can antagonize Gandhi enough to get their civ nuked first. All AI's are India so they're all Gandhis and you don't know which Gandhi you're negotiating with when the leader screen comes up. It's really tricky because you have to balance pissing him off enough so he'd nuke you, while also surviving long enough for Gandhi to research and build nukes. Since they're all Gandhis, you don't know which border a provocation war is going to start from. It's hilarious chaos. Whoever gets nuked gets to collect 10k of silk from all the other players. We didn't get to finish it because it's hard to find time when everyone's available to resume.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I play at Deity difficulty.
Same here. I never got into the online, multiplayer versions of Civ, but I always set the AI for Deity level when playing single player. It was the only way to challenge myself. The last version I played seriously was Civ IV. I played Civ V briefly but did not like it as much. Just out of curiosity, what is the current version?

quin629

@crackie - also played starting with Civ I but only as a stand-alone on the PC, never an internet version. A wonderful way to lose an entire weekend........ I recently got a FS member re-hooked on Civ as well: they bought the entire online bundle with all versions & expansions. Just have to hope that they don't get so into it that they forget to log back in to Elvenar too, lol.

crackie

Just out of curiosity, what is the current version?
Yeah I generally play single player vs AI because they are already marathons. Multiplayer in a turn based game is a lot of waiting around and hoping no one loses internet connection. It's hard to find people with same large block of time off to do multiplayer. Current version is 6, but it's also almost 6yrs old. It's a bit different than the previous iterations in that you now build districts for cities that take also take up hex space, so not everything is "hidden" in the city. There are 3 expansions. The first 2 expansions (Rise and Fall, Gathering Storm) are great. Not so wowed by the 3rd expansion though, but it adds secret societies to the base game component, which includes...vampires? The old DOS versions are available to play online via the Internet Archive. I was playing that and Oregon Trail for a nostalgia trip.
Just have to hope that they don't get so into it that they forget to log back in to Elvenar too, lol.
The person that sold me an Elfin vacation home on EN left the game and plays Civ now. :confused:

Alram

Flippers just flip
My granddaughter is quite fond of minecraft and dragonquest builders and pokemon. She is 9 now, but she has been playing them since age 6. She's trying fire emblem now. :D

crackie

I've decided to revisit Civ after this thread. I'm a bit rusty. Haven't played in over a year, but I dedicate this game to the forum nuts...

First, I've elected to play Scotland so I can drop unnecessary U's in the spelling like some folks here like to do. My capitol is House of Shenanigans. Neighboring my capitol is of course the Shenanigan Elves Gift Shop and the Banshee House. And when you live next door to the Banshee House, well, it's absolute chaos! True to form, nobody knows how to fight when within the vicinity of the Banshee House. It's overrun by barbarians several hundred years ahead of me in tech. My army's stuck in medieval times still using crossbows and knights while they're already running amok with 19th century toys like field cannons and guns.
civ-banshee-chaos.jpg

But it's not all drunken lunacy and chaos though. We did carve out a little nook up north in the tundra for the literary people out there so they can study their philology (another point for me, @MaidenFair) and reference their OED usage in abbreviated form like everyone just knows what it means. It's too cold to go outside so our bibliophiles can just stay indoors with their tea. They need to hit the books harder though because we're being way out-teched right now and everyone else is busy swinging from chandeliers and drinking Jagermeister instead of studying. They get a the beautiful view of a natural wonder, the Ubsunar Hollow, though.
civ-rare-books.jpg

And of course, nobody is ever entirely happy with the map sometimes so we've got a city stuck out in the desert surrounded by nothing but sand in every direction, which makes it the perfect location for a seasonal Halloween Costume Shop come October.
civ-halloween.jpg

Then over on the other side of my civilization, far far away from the terrors of the Banshee House, we of course have the always dependable Squirrel's Sig Shop with @Sir Squirrel quietly doing his thing and hopefully pumping out massive culture for us. We also have the Social Media Coordinator Office to help advertise the position is still available. Oh hey, wait a minute, there's actually someone in there...
civ-squirrel.jpg

Last but not least, let's check out the competition. I am Robert the Bruce on the far right.
civ-leaders.jpg

Yeah, everyone is friendly and likes me except that fella at the end with the frownie face. That's Kupe, the leader of the Maori civilization, who's probably related to the Community Manager of Tonga. So yeah, things are going about as you'd expect, just like on the forums. :D Alright, assuming we'll magically take care of that barbarian situation over by the Banshee House, there's still room left to plant a few more cities. If you got ideas on what I should do with them, drop your comments in the suggestion box.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Lol. I am happy you gave me a place in your civilization to create some good culture for your country!! You might want to add Helya's chocolate shop so we can all get a sugar rush to help speed up research and sig creation! You could also add a think tank to help come up with idea's to get justice for Buddy too! (The justice for Buddy Think Tank!!)

Last edited:

sambria

Chef
Lol. I an happy you gave me a place in your civilization to create some good culture for your country!! You might want to add Helya's chocolate shop so we can all get a sugar rush to help speed up research and sig creation! You could also add a think tank to help come up with idea's to get justice for Buddy too! (The justice for Buddy Think Tank!!)
I like i like i like!!!

Mrietha

I've decided to revisit Civ after this thread. I'm a bit rusty. Haven't played in over a year, but I dedicate this game to the forum nuts...

First, I've elected to play Scotland so I can drop unnecessary U's in the spelling like some folks here like to do. My capitol is House of Shenanigans. Neighboring my capitol is of course the Shenanigan Elves Gift Shop and the Banshee House. And when you live next door to the Banshee House, well, it's absolute chaos! True to form, nobody knows how to fight when within the vicinity of the Banshee House. It's overrun by barbarians several hundred years ahead of me in tech. My army's stuck in medieval times still using crossbows and knights while they're already running amok with 19th century toys like field cannons and guns.
civ-banshee-chaos.jpg

But it's not all drunken lunacy and chaos though. We did carve out a little nook up north in the tundra for the literary people out there so they can study their philology (another point for me, @MaidenFair) and reference their OED usage in abbreviated form like everyone just knows what it means. It's too cold to go outside so our bibliophiles can just stay indoors with their tea. They need to hit the books harder though because we're being way out-teched right now and everyone else is busy swinging from chandeliers and drinking Jagermeister instead of studying. They get a the beautiful view of a natural wonder, the Ubsunar Hollow, though.
civ-rare-books.jpg

And of course, nobody is ever entirely happy with the map sometimes so we've got a city stuck out in the desert surrounded by nothing but sand in every direction, which makes it the perfect location for a seasonal Halloween Costume Shop come October.
civ-halloween.jpg

Then over on the other side of my civilization, far far away from the terrors of the Banshee House, we of course have the always dependable Squirrel's Sig Shop with @Sir Squirrel quietly doing his thing and hopefully pumping out massive culture for us. We also have the Social Media Coordinator Office to help advertise the position is still available. Oh hey, wait a minute, there's actually someone in there...
civ-squirrel.jpg

Last but not least, let's check out the competition. I am Robert the Bruce on the far right.
civ-leaders.jpg

Yeah, everyone is friendly and likes me except that fella at the end with the frownie face. That's Kupe, the leader of the Maori civilization, who's probably related to the Community Manager of Tonga. So yeah, things are going about as you'd expect, just like on the forums. :D Alright, assuming we'll magically take care of that barbarian situation over by the Banshee House, there's still room left to plant a few more cities. If you got ideas on what I should do with them, drop your comments in the suggestion box.
Looks interesting. Now how do I find it? Or maybe the better question is what am I looking for?

crackie

You might want to add Helya's chocolate shop so we can all get a sugar rush to help speed up research and sig creation!
Well, I wouldn't call it a "shop" as the sugar only flows in one direction. ;) Taking cue from the Canadians, instead of maple syrup, our civ will have the Helya Strategic Dessert Reserve. Not a bad place to live! It's got a citrus farm, a stadium, an archeology site, a golf course, live theater, and of course a world class airport so @helya can be everything and everywhere at once (great movie, btw). Also, they're making Giant Death Robots in that city. I hear they're also powered by the tears of her fallen enemies too. :D
civ-helya-desert-reserve.jpg

You could also add a think tank to help come up with idea's to get justice for Buddy too! (The justice for Buddy Think Tank!!)
This was also unplanned and unexpected. Usually in the higher difficulty, you're just trying to survive and ain't got the resources to be devoting to faith early game to grab one of the available prophets to start a religion, but apparently nobody else wanted to either. Those bibliophiles holed up in the Rare Books Store up in the tundra were busy with religious studies instead of technology research. They started a religion in the 1700s called...Bud Sorceress Fan Club. There wasn't a flower or corn emblem to use so I went with the sacred cow. And now, just like on the forums, I'm going to have to defend Buddy from a barrage of other invasive beliefs and ideas trying to spread into my territory.
civ-bud-religion.jpg

An update on the Banshee House. I did manage to clear the barbarian camp and its spawns, but then...GAH!!! Indonesia came along and forward settled on me where that cleared camp was after I did all the work. How rude! :mad: She is too far away from home though. Bima will revolt and ask to join my civ instead once I break off our Cultural Alliance.
civ-indo.jpg

@crackie What version of Civ are you using? That interface looks a lot better than the version I last played years ago.
Civ 6. Like I've said earlier, they introduced "districts" so not everything is built "inside" the city now. A city spreads out into other hexes in its space.
Looks interesting. Now how do I find it? Or maybe the better question is what am I looking for?
They have various versions. They have an app version for iPad and console versions, but I can't imagine this game playing well with a touch interface or joystick. It's easiest with a mouse on the standalone PC version. More info.

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
Rofl! I've lost count of your points somewhere, @crackie...are we at five or six now? ;)

Hurray for bookshops and tea! And nice views. I love those. :D

In an effort to improve the state of knowledge and technology research in the kingdom, you've enabled me to I've spent the last 2 hours on a deep dive through both English and French dictionaries and etymological histories in an attempt to explain the origin of the mysterious, intrusive 'u'. I was hoping to be able to explain the sound change or spelling rule exactly, but this is all I've got so far: all those words that are spelled with '-or' in American and '-our' in British English were loanwords from Middle French, brought over at the time of the Norman Conquest or thereabouts (latter half of the 11th century). These French words had in turn been borrowed/corrupted from Latin words which had once ended in or contained '-or'; since these borrowed words were often spelled with '-our' in some dialects of Old French, this was a common spelling carried over to England at the Conquest, where, since the Normans installed most of their own men in the positions of learning and government where records were kept (abbots, bishops, sherriffs, lawyers and so on), the originally Germanic English language became heavily flavo(u)red with Norman (which is to say, corrupted Latin) terminology and spellings, including this '-our' usage. Words from that era which are pronounced with an accent on the syllable in question still have this spelling in all English variants: troubadour, for example. When Noah Webster made his first dictionary in 1828, he arbitrarily changed and standardized the spellings of many words in order to differentiate us from the British, in this case dropping the historical 'u' in unaccented syllables in favor of reverting to more 'pure' Latin spellings.

I'm still hoping to find out exactly why Latin words that were originally spelled with '-or' (colorare, honorare, splendor, etc.) often became spelled with '-our' in Ancien Français; although I suspect that it has something to do with subtle sound changes in the spoken language taking place during the vulgarisation of Latin and the subsequent splitting into the various Romance languages, my skimming of long, technical French articles has been, admittedly, a little hampered by the fact that I don't actually know very much French, so...it's a work in progress. :p

@Mrietha, Civ is available on Steam at least (scroll down to the bottom of that page for the easiest-to-read list). The base games are Civilization III Complete, Civilization IV, Civilization V, and Civilization VI, all released at different times with somewhat different mechanics; the others listed are expansions. I'm most familiar with III, myself, and I think it would be a good game for kids, although pretty complex. It does have an online multiplayer option but you may be able to disable that.

Mrietha

They have various versions. They have an app version for iPad and console versions, but I can't imagine this game playing well with a touch interface or joystick. It's easiest with a mouse on the standalone PC version. More info.
Thank you.
I am not familiar with this level of gaming. I'd tried some of the simpler games like "Homescapes" and of course various forms of sukoku and candy crush, but other than Sudokus this is the first I've really enjoyed and stayed with. My sons had some of the gaming machines, but never played very much. It's been trial and error for me.