• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Trades

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Butter.......salt.......more butter.......marshmallows.......crushed Flaming Hot Cheetos......Swedish Fish.......mmmmm....*cough cough hack cough cough*
Fixed it for you.
OK, be careful of any popcorn crackie's Buddy passes to you)
I don't have a monopoly on Buddy. She wants to be friends with more people, but she is so maligned and shunned. :confused:

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
I know it isn't my business but I've never seen @ajqtrz be rude or say anything out of line just yet. If I missed something I apologized. I've only seen that he has a lengthier way of saying their responses to others questions than others is all, but it isn't mean. Just is nicer instead of insulting someone to just don't read the longer post or scroll by or ignore or block just like any other social site. It's super easy. I'm sorry, I've just noticed more than a couple "gang up" on them when you can just ignore. Idk. I felt bad continuing to not point it out. I won't say anything else about it. Sorry. I do love all of you!

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I did sum searching & saw that many smart peeps have handed u ur butt on a plate over this. U shud listen to them. Motivated reasoning is bad dude.

I'm not sure what you mean by "handed u ur butt on a plate over this," because that is a summation of what you feel about what they said rather than a clear statement about what they said and how it was better reasoned with more evidence. Sorry then, if I have to disagree with you on your summation. So far I've not seen better reasoning or a deeper understanding of the issue at hand from those who have, perhaps, wanted to "hand me my butt on a plate." ;)

And what kind of reasoning should one use when confronted with something one believes is in error? If you aren't motivated by reason to make your case, what, exactly, sould motivate you? Thinking you are right and expressing why you have made that determination is far better, don't you think, than simply saying, "I'm right, and you're wrong?" -- and then bringing social pressure to bear to get you to shut up?

I see it might be time to Unwatch this thread and let it go.
Certainly might be. If the heat in the kitchen is too much, stop cooking and take a break. A lot of wisdom in that even if you, therefore, may miss a meal or two.

AJ

crackie

Unless you live in the Wilds of Beyond, like I do, where no one will let their delivery people drive to... ;)
Are you sure it’s the Wilds of Beyond and not you giving off crazy lady with all the old books vibes? :D Also, are you neighbors with @Darielle and @samidodamage, who all claim to live in the boonies too? Can I just write “Philologist, Wilds of Beyond” and the post office will know who to send it to, like writing letters to Santa addressed to just North Pole?

I stayed on campus one summer during college, but our school didn’t have meal plans for the summer so I wound up ordering a lot of takeout. By the time regular fall schedule came around, my roommates would make me place the orders knowing the place knew me by now. One time, I called to place an order and after giving my address, the person goes, “Oh, you’re the girl from the townhouses. Can I ask you a question?” Having given them all my order info, I wasn’t sure where this was going. My housemates all froze though and tuned in with curious vested interest. One of them grabbed my arm and silently mouthed, “He’s going to ask you out!” They all start laughing giddily. Not quite, BUT they offered me a job instead, which got everyone laughing even harder. I turned it down though because I didn’t have the time. When the food came, there was a separate paper bag inside with a note stapled on it that said “On the house”. My housemates were all cracking up, like who gets offered a job while ordering takeout and then gets free food after turning them down? That’s how you know you order takeout way too often (and why your cooking skills haven’t improved).

crackie

Except, for the special popcorn that you have a lock on.

Ed
I would argue that still falls under “cooking skills haven’t improved”. I glued questionable ingredients together with butter and marshmallows because the arts and craft project dictated I use food instead of free rope.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I know it isn't my business but I've never seen @ajqtrz be rude or say anything out of line just yet. If I missed something I apologized. I've only seen that he has a lengthier way of saying their responses to others questions than others is all, but it isn't mean. Just is nicer instead of insulting someone to just don't read the longer post or scroll by or ignore or block just like any other social site. It's super easy. I'm sorry, I've just noticed more than a couple "gang up" on them when you can just ignore. Idk. I felt bad continuing to not point it out. I won't say anything else about it. Sorry. I do love all of you!
Yeah you should do some reading of old threads.
HINT: look for locked ones.

ajqtrz

Yeah you should do some reading of old threads.
HINT: look for locked ones.
By all means. Do look at the old threads. The more you look, I think, the more you will find few places where I've stepped over the line. They generally got locked (and maybe always) because people didn't stick to the subject at hand...like this thread is going...and began attacking my character/performance etc. Personal attacks are okay in threads where personal attacks are the subject. But usually, I've found, personal attacks are the result of frustration and frustration is often the result of not knowing the subject deep enough...in other words, you take a position you haven't thought through, gathered evidence, worked out your reasoning and are able to present well. The cause of the frustration is, thus, if these things are true, the one attacking their opponent on a personal level. Of course, these things may not be true for some. Maybe they just don't like that their vast amounts of solid evidence and reasoning is met with an equal amount from myself, and thus I am not persuaded. But if either is the case, the personal attacks are not warranted and, from a formal debate perspective, unethical.

So can we stop engaging in them? Especially without presenting evidence of what you say is true. Of which "old posts" are you speaking?

AJ

StarLoad

Ok, let us call this a topic that we can all agree to disagree on and drop it. There are free, open, closed, and predatory traders in the market here and in real life. Trading is a matter of need and perception and not a single one of us will be the same nor act the same, so there is no reason to try to justify either or any position.

Really there is just no need for the divisiveness caused by this subject anymore.

Ed

ajqtrz

True cooking story. I had just started college and, as part of my financial aide package, I had a work-study job in what they called the home-economics department. My job consisted of coming in after the cooking portion of the program and cleaning up. Mrs. Stranahan was my boss. I also had a job in a small grocer about 7 miles from campus in exchange for room and board. I manned the store at night, stocked the shelves and all that - it was a 2 person operation.

Now I had been in both positions about 4-6 weeks and since I knew nothing about cooking I was eating mostly canned stuff. In those days the frozen meals section wasn't large and it was expensive so canned goods for the most part for dinners.

One Saturday before my shift I wanted macaroni and cheese. There were no instant boxes like we have today, you had to cook the macaroni and cheese and the combine them. So, I got the macaroni and some cheese. A nice large brick of cheddar, to be precise. I also got about a half gallon of cooking oil. Then, after heating up the oil in the deep fryer (people had these in those days), I could figure out why the macaroni wasn't cooking, so I put in the brick of cheese. After about twenty minutes I dumped it all down the sink and got a can of Ditty-Moore.

Monday afternoon I mentioned to Mrs. Stranahan that I thought the oil must not have been hot enough to cook the macaroni. The look on her face I remember to this day. After that my job changed. Instead of cleaning up, I went shopping with her, joined the cooking class, and learned that oil and raw macaroni don't mix at any temperature.

Absolutely a true and unembellished story.

AJ