• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

World map Centers

Katwick

Cartographer
Here's the us4 center:

View attachment 11107
I just verified my new technique for finding the center of the map:
  1. Zoom your desktop computer so that you can always see two Marble sectors. For me that's 60%.
  2. Eyeball the World Map, and select a Marble Sector that's just above a City near the center of the bottom populated edge.
  3. Drag the screen vertically, while counting the Marble Sectors to the top edge of the populated area.
  4. Count back down halfway, to find the approximate center of the map, and note the User/City Name.
  5. The blue arrow will be pointing back toward your city, which is useful for keeping yourself oriented.
  6. Drag the Marble Sectors again, but go toward the upper left until you reach the 11 o'clock corner of the populated edge.
  7. If you missed the upper left corner by too much, you'll probably want to drag toward the lower right corner as well.
This is not an exact science, because the "edge" can be pretty choppy, but you'll be close to the center. The above snapshot was from US4 on Nov 28, 2021. Arthur Longbow is the only remaining city, and Lewna is now at/near the center of the US4 World Map.

Screenshot 2022-07-23 US4 Lewna.png

My city is just a few sectors to the right of center, as indicated by the blue arrow, and there's nary a Goldmine in sight. This is all to say that InnoGames did a really nice job of implementing map movement, and it's now time for us to do our part and rethink how we utilize our wonderful new neighborhoods, per https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/ideal-trading-partners.31347/.

Last edited:

Zoof

I just verified my new technique for finding the center of the map:
  1. Zoom your desktop computer so that you can always see two Marble sectors. For me that's 60%.
  2. Eyeball the World Map, and select a Marble Sector that's just above a City near the center of the bottom populated edge.
  3. Drag the screen vertically, while counting the Marble Sectors to the top edge of the populated area.
  4. Count back down halfway, to find the approximate center of the map, and note the User/City Name.
  5. The blue arrow will be pointing back toward your city, which is useful for keeping yourself oriented.
  6. Drag the Marble Sectors again, but go toward the upper left until you reach the 11 o'clock corner of the populated edge.
  7. If you missed the upper left corner by too much, you'll probably want to drag toward the lower right corner as well.
This is not an exact science, because the "edge" can be pretty choppy, but you'll be close to the center. The above snapshot was from US4 on Nov 28, 2021. Arthur Longbow is the only remaining city, and Lewna is now at/near the center of the US4 World Map.

View attachment 13170

My city is just a few sectors to the right of center, as indicated by the blue arrow, and there's nary a Goldmine in sight. This is all to say that InnoGames did a really nice job of implementing map movement, and it's now time for us to do our part and rethink how we utilize our wonderful new neighborhoods, per https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/ideal-trading-partners.31347/.
That's some real good information. Trying that stunt on US1 was a bit of an exercise since it's just so dang huge, but it got me close. Or at least I think I was close. After visiting the identified city, and pulling up Chrome's Network devtool, I exited the city and took a look at what I found. If I'm interpreting the results right, the new center of US1 is on player Jd62, which was only a couple of cities away from the one I previously identified (and promptly forgot)

1658634824707.png

The JSON response indicated that that city's id was "0,0" which I assume is a hexgrid coordinate, given the other replies surrounding it.

---

TBH, I was going to pop in here and simply ask for the info but saw that technique and thought "what the heck. let's give it a try!" and then ... well. Did I do it right? If not, what am I missing?

Katwick

Cartographer
That's some real good information. Trying that stunt on US1 was a bit of an exercise since it's just so dang huge, but it got me close. Or at least I think I was close. After visiting the identified city, ...
Sarah Cooper as the center is more likely, as there is strong evidence that the center of the map is always directly below a Marble sector.

I'll have to take a look at the JSON responses, as that does sound interesting.

getmomo

Not sure I understand why it's important to know where the center of the map is. Am I missing something? Is there something advantageous in knowing where the center is?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Not sure I understand why it's important to know where the center of the map is. Am I missing something? Is there something advantageous in knowing where the center is?
You can tell how close you are to the action, and how much better/worse off you are in terms of active neighbors and getting gifts.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
The purpose is to determine, how likely it is that you will continue to be shuffled around the map and therefore away from your current neighborhood. We no longer have the ability to choose to remain in a specific locale with good friends, old neighbors, great trading partners (or the love of our life).

Katwick

Cartographer
Up until 6 months ago, you were stuck wherever your city started, and new players got the Goldmine (abandoned) cities that were nearest to the center.

So the further you were from the center, the longer you had to wait for a surge of new players to repopulate your neighborhood.

Nowadays, each weekend the inactive players are shifted to the fringe of the map, or archived, and isolated active players are shifted toward the center of the map.

So if you're active, and already near the center, you'll see see a few new neighbors once a week. If you're NOT near the center, and you're living in a cemetery, you'll be moved to a better neighborhood within a few weeks.

An important consequence is that new players now start out further from the center, but will soon be moved into a more active neighborhood if they decide to stick around.

Now that the neighborhoods are healthier, the experienced players need to take a fresh look at trades and other activities with their non/different fellowship neighbors.

Last edited:

Ibison

Well the gold mines are slowly creeping up on me. Think I'm at 32 now. I hope that I'm never moved. So much easier giving daily help for gold and I get more that enough in supplies.

getmomo

Ok, but there is nothing you can do about any of it so in reality there is nothing advantages about knowing where the center is.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Ok, but there is nothing you can do about any of it so in reality there is nothing advantages about knowing where the center is.
It sounds like the code for manual movement by support is done, but not activated. So this may not stay true once activated. Then you can get on the list to get manually moved.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Every time I've looked for the player that is listed as the center, I go there, I try to pull up the world map and am magically transported back to the most important city in Khel... aka MINE. LOL

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Every time I've looked for the player that is listed as the center, I go there, I try to pull up the world map and am magically transported back to the most important city in Khel... aka MINE. LOL

That means they are no longer the center and are in the queue for deletion. This is why we always try to note a bigger city next to the center that is unlikely to go anywhere as a secondary reference.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
It doesn't really matter, I suppose. My trader won't change... it will still be t1s for t3s and t2s for t3s. LOL My current 'hood is okay. No goldmines and I get visits.

Katwick

Cartographer
Sarah Cooper as the center is more likely, as there is strong evidence that the center of the map is always directly below a Marble sector.

I'll have to take a look at the JSON responses, as that does sound interesting.
I'm on US4, and Lewna is at the middle of the map.
US4 Lewna.png

In the related JSON code, we can see how the World Map coordinates are defined.
  • R positive indicates a column of Cities to the RIGHT of center
  • Q positive indicates a row of cities DOWNWARD from center
    • US4 Author Longbow is at -1,-2 (left, up)
    • US4 NativeBear is at 1,-2 (right, up)
    • US4 power flower is at -2,_ (left of center)
    • US4 Lewna is at (unlisted) 0,0 (map center)
    • US4 SparkyGGB is at 2,_ (right of center)
    • US4 Mple360 is at -1,1 (left, down)
    • US4 Emarin is at 1,1 (right, down)

US4 power flower JSON.PNG
US4 Lewna JSON.PNG
plus SparkyGGB
US4 SparkyGGB Jason.PNG

_________
US4 Mple360 JSON.PNG

The debugging page screenshot is too large for the forum, but if you're a bit of a techie, it's pretty interesting.
  • Load your own city on a Windows or Apple desktop computer, not on a mobile
  • Click on the score below your portrait, and search for a UserName
  • Visit their city (Lewna in our example)
  • Use ctrl+shift+I (or the hamburger menu, more tools, developer tools) to load the debugger
  • Click in the debugger, and use ctrl+ScrollWheel (or hamburger menu zoom) and make the text large enough to see
  • Click on the World Map and use Ctrl+ScrollWheel to squeeze the World Map
  • Drag the debugger window to make it pretty large and select the Network tab
  • Make sure the RED DOT network recorder is enabled
  • Click on the World Map icon in the user's city
  • Use Search to locate a line of JSON code that includes the desired UserName
  • Click on the Response line, and then click on the { } (pretty code) icon at the bottom of the page
  • Click anywhere in the pretty code, and then use ctrl+f (find) to locate the desired UserName (again)
  • Use the Logo+S key, and use Snip, if you want to post the fruits of your labors
  • Remember to get some sleep, eventually :)

Last edited:

Zoof

I'm on US4, and Lewna is at the middle of the map.
View attachment 13192

In the related JSON code, we can see how the World Map coordinates are defined.
  • R positive indicates a column of Cities to the RIGHT of center
  • Q positive indicates a row of cities DOWNWARD from center
    • US4 Author Longbow is at -1,-2 (left, up)
    • US4 NativeBear is at 1,-2 (right, up)
    • US4 power flower is at -2,_ (left of center)
    • US4 Lewna is at (unlisted) 0,0 (map center)
    • US4 SparkyGGB is at 2,_ (right of center)
    • US4 Mple360 is at -1,1 (left, down)
    • US4 Emarin is at 1,1 (right, down)
__________View attachment 13200 __________View attachment 13194

View attachment 13195View attachment 13198 plus SparkyGGBView attachment 13197

_________View attachment 13199 __________View attachment 13204

The debugging page screenshot is too large for the forum, but if you're a bit of a techie, it's pretty interesting.
  • Load your own city on a Windows or Apple desktop computer, not on a mobile
  • Click on the score below your portrait, and search for a UserName
  • Visit their city (Lewna in our example)
  • Use ctrl+shift+I (or the hamburger menu, more tools, developer tools) to load the debugger
  • Click in the debugger, and use ctrl+ScrollWheel (or hamburger menu zoom) and make the text large enough to see
  • Click on the World Map and use Ctrl+ScrollWheel to squeeze the World Map
  • Drag the debugger window to make it pretty large and select the Network tab
  • Make sure the RED DOT network recorder is enabled
  • Click on the World Map icon in the user's city
  • Use Search to locate a line of JSON code that includes the desired UserName
  • Click on the Response line, and then click on the { } (pretty code) icon at the bottom of the page
  • Click anywhere in the pretty code, and then use ctrl+f (find) to locate the desired UserName (again)
  • Use the Logo+S key, and use Snip, if you want to post the fruits of your labors
  • Remember to get some sleep, eventually :)
Thanks! I was looking at all the wrong object(s) to identify map center. Knowing now that I should've been looking for the 'r' and 'q' values makes things much clearer

Katwick

Cartographer
  • The mobile version always returns you to your own city.
  • The desktop version returns you to the visited city, unless it's archived.