• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

City movement

Genefer

It's not even only the Goldmines - the dead cities shift through my map - as though my map is a pit stop for every inactive city on their way to the dead zone. So, a few times a week I get excited to see a new neighbor only to look them up and see they are inactive - again and again ....

I have a very hard time believing there is not an inactive city anywhere on the active map with my boosts. I do not understand how as a player who plays all day - every day for 2 years has to live in desolation for at least 6 months now. Cities should be rotated in and out of the fringe - I should not have to live there indefinitely.

ok - I'll leave off now before I'm screaming in caps

Last edited by a moderator:

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
It's not even only the Goldmines - the dead cities shift through my map - as though my map is a pit stop for every inactive city on their way to the dead zone. So, a few times a week I get excited to see a new neighbor only to look them up and see they are inactive - again and again ....

"Thank you for contacting the Elvenar Support Team.

The movement of players on the world map is an automatic process run every Monday, and we do not have manual controls to change the outcome.

For your city to be moved, there needs to be a spot available on the world map that matches your current city's boosted goods and is closer to the center of the world map. Players furthest from the map's center are moved first, and the mover program sweeps a small section of the map each week.

While we are unable to influence the moving of your city, we do have a list of players that would like to be moved that we have shared with the developers and we will add your city to that list. We can only ask you to be patient in the meantime. Please let us know if you have further questions."

I have a very hard time believing there is not an inactive city anywhere on the active map with my boosts. I do not understand how as a player who plays all day - every day for 2 years has to live in desolation for at least 6 months now. Cities should be rotated in and out of the fringe - I should not have to live there indefinitely.

Keep in mind the system only does this once a week. Anything else during the week is a new player. I'm pretty sure that is what I've been reading from the forum but not positive. There are a lot of active players so this will unfortunately be longer than we all are hoping, but little by little it is happening. Hopefully that list being sent to the devs will help.... but..... there is more than one world as well. I understand why you are so frustrated like a lot of others are as well. Especially since you rely a lot and built your city to benefit greatly from neighborly help (I think it was yours from previous comments). If it gives you hope at all there were people on here on list that did get moved within some weeks.

Clusseau

First to say- this has not affected me. I seem to have moved Once; which included many neighbors in their familiar positions.
(Or, another neighborhood was moved, with many in THEIR familiar Positions)

IT DOES sound like Newbies, (farther from Center) moving before you do.. now get to Leap-Past you.
(Filling all openings, and then preventing you from Moving?)

It sounds much like Tournament Philosophy... reward the Newbies, punish success (or Loyal Players).
But, i guess at some point you may become far enough from the Center to Match priority given to Newbies?

defiantoneks

maybe with Helya stepping away, i should make a nuisance of myself. perhaps come in every other day and call out for help.

please send help. live players needed. my neighborly help is rather pathetic, since half the map is dead.

Lisa Gabor

i am back upto 30 inactives...4 in my immediate vacinity...just moved in january...10 mo later and it is starting all over...i know ppl come and go alot, but wow...

defiantoneks

and of course my neighbor list is littered with this:

[MOD EDIT] Pics removed showing Player names

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.46.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.46.20 AM.png
    311.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.48.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.48.22 AM.png
    383.8 KB · Views: 204

Zoof

and of course my neighbor list is littered with this:
View attachment 13754View attachment 13755
If those empty spots are gold mines, then at least they're showing up on the list. I remember a time a little while ago in which I had to manually scan the map to find the few gold mines that popped up in my area because they wouldn't show up in the neighbors list.

Since my neighborhood has no more gaps since that feature was added, I haven't had this situation happen to me. What exactly happens when you do click the hands for the empty spots on that menu? Does it immediately credit you the gold? Does it pop up some sort of dummy window that requires an extra click? If it's the latter, I'd still manually scan the map since it'd feel easier that way.

---

Either way, I hope you get moved to a more active neighborhood soon. If your activity here on the forums reflect your activity in your city (cities?) I'd be pretty peeved too if I had to build a thriving metropolis out in the middle of the desert a la Los Vegas.

defiantoneks

If those empty spots are gold mines, then at least they're showing up on the list.
but you cant visit them from the list. the message says inactive, and if you do click it the whole page becomes unclickable, so you have to go to the next page and then back up to get any real cities you havent visited.

and TY. i feel like i do pretty well. the issue is with my city in Elcysandir, and playing in Exiles (just getting a real start on it, and sortof paused due to the FA). my second city is in Winyandor and in the depths of Team Spirit, but trundling along.

DeletedUser29356

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

That's an emoji for every coin city i collect and don't get a buff back from !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel your pain, I have 85 goldmines on the side of my city. and daily it seems to grow

Silk

Genefer

I am still in the land of desolation with 95 Goldmines with no end in sight. Also, there are Goldmines disguised as neighbors, but they have been inactive from MONTHS to YEARS.

[MOD EDIT] Player names removed .... on and on.

Also, these are all fairly recent additions to my neighbor list. As I said previously dead cities are added to my "active" map sometime for a few days and some for months, but they are inactive when moved to my explored map zone. These dead cities are exchanged with active cities - so active neighbors are moved out of my explored map and dead cities take their place. I realized this when they accept sentient trades but are no longer neighbors. So, my explored map is not only in the desolation, but my city is being encircled by dead cities and isolated.

I have completed 554 provinces and at most I have 50 active & casually active neighbors - the rest are deceptions & Goldmines

I also have the spotty neighbor lists, but it is not a reflection of the Goldmines. This happens 2 to 3 times weekly and must have something to do with the map tool, but if so, the support tech is either uninformed of how the tool functions - rather how often and when, because it occurs randomly within the week and more than once in the week. Or the tool is malfunctioning

[MOD EDIT] Picture removed

What I find outrageous is being forced to scout into the desolation if I want to minimize the scout time & cost as well as the troop & resource cost of completing the provinces.

I do not understand why the map has dead zones at all or why any city inactive for over a month is in the "active" portion. I read a post somewhere - the player said that after not playing for a week they were moved out but moved right back in after they resumed playing, however I think it is more likely they were never moved to desolation, considering there are cities inactive for years disguised as neighbors in my map.

I know many players do not concern themselves with their neighbors .... however, it has a significant negative impact on my city and my enthusiasm for this game is declining rapidly.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-17 155106.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-17 155106.png
    371.9 KB · Views: 60

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@Ashrem the problem is that even if all active players are moved as close to the center as possible, the ones in the outer Rings of the active zone will always have dead cities or gold mines in two of the four directions. Say there are enough active players to completely fill the 100 Rings around the center of the server map, then those players in the outermost Rings will still have a lot of nothing in the Rings beyond them. So unfortunately, there will always be some players with less.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
@Ashrem the problem is that even if all active players are moved as close to the center as possible, the ones in the outer Rings of the active zone will always have dead cities or gold mines in two of the four directions. Say there are enough active players to completely fill the 100 Rings around the center of the server map, then those players in the outermost Rings will still have a lot of nothing in the Rings beyond them. So unfortunately, there will always be some players with less.
That's the easy answer, but not a good answer. 'd postulate the following
  • have a third category of city "Inactive, but large and potentially interesting to look at" then the majority of those cities could be used along a ring or two at the outside with the ability to visit them normally (Maybe with KP donations turned off) and the others treated as though they were "live" and distributed randomly so everyone has a few inactive cites in the midst of their explored area and at worst you are surrounded on one or two sides by inactive rings which are not gold-mines.
  • No one active stays in the outside 10 rings for one or two or three weeks before being moved closer to the centre and pushing someone else out. Then everyone learns to put up with a week or three of outer-ring living every few weeks or months or whatever.
  • (alternatively) have the "Inactive, but large and potentially interesting to look at" cities programatically return help once a day at server-day-end, so that having inactive neighbours is actually a benefit rather than a problem.

defiantoneks

which illustrates why the formula for moving everyone to the center is a poor one. all players should be scattered evenly across the world, leaving a comparable number of empty slots for everyone.

Zoof

which illustrates why the formula for moving everyone to the center is a poor one. all players should be scattered evenly across the world, leaving a comparable number of empty slots for everyone.
On a flat surface, there's no shape you can use to accomplish that. There will always be an edge* and this necessitates that people on or near that edge are either unhappy, or tricked into happiness by putting up interesting-appearing cities past those edges.

If you tried to, however, map them across a spherical object such that the "edges" wrap around in some manner, a few additional problems become apparent. Those problems begin to compound quite a bit if you try to make such a world grow or shrink based on the population**. It's the sort of problem that's best solved at the inception of a game, not bolted onto an existing system as solution of any kind.

* A circle or sphere won't work for a few reasons. Which will become apparent in a link someplace in this post.
** Including an amusing/annoying corner case where the world is small enough that the player's reach exceeds the world's current size. Or worse, shrinks below the player's reach. Not to mention problems on how to tessellate the provinces during each expansion/contraction event. Any sort of wraparound must be consistent to keep the provinces correct. It's also entirely possible that such wraparound feature doesn't exist because doing that isn't possible. This needs more rigorous study before I can feel comfortable putting my everything in that statement.