• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

They've ruined the tournament

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I just noticed a new "feature" :eek: on the tourney. Whenever you complete a province, you are automatically moved back to province number one. WHAT IS THE POINT???

There are people like me who are very prone to motion sickness. Although I tolerate a small amount of moving from province to province, Inno has just doubled the chance that I'll get motion sickness while doing the tournament. I could understand if there was a point, but WHAT IS IT?

From now on, they are FORCING me to do provinces in a particular order. No longer am I able to get the hardest ones done first, and then get down to the easier ones as I lose troops. I love doing it that way. Inno has just spoiled my whole enjoyment of the tournament.

I would like to know the point of this, if someone could explain it to me.

Gkyr

Chef
I love it. Adapt your strategy and you can love it, too. It speeds things up and, OMG, we need to trim our tourny times.

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
There are people like me who are very prone to motion sickness. Although I tolerate a small amount of moving from province to province, Inno has just doubled the chance that I'll get motion sickness while doing the tournament. I could understand if there was a point, but WHAT IS IT?
I’m not sure why the change was made, but as a workaround, could you close your eyes briefly right as you click the “awesome” button to finish an encounter? That would be annoying to have to do but if you’re not seeing the movement between rounds, maybe you won’t get motion sick. :confused:

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
From now on, they are FORCING me to do provinces in a particular order. No longer am I able to get the hardest ones done first, and then get down to the easier ones as I lose troops. I love doing it that way. Inno has just spoiled my whole enjoyment of the tournament.

um
over dramatic much?
i'm having a hard time looking for a way to take this seriously

Darielle

Thanks everyone for the replies. Lelanya, I'm sorry you're feeling this too.

Maiden, yes, I will try. I just don't see why they had to break what wasn't broken. :(

Ed, thanks for the test. See what you think.

Gkyr, it's kind of hard to see how this change is so great. How is it specifically better?

Muckster, thanks for the honesty ... you always make me laugh no matter whether you agree with me or not.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Darielle I always do the tournament in reverse order. From round 2 onwards, I pull up the list of tournament provinces and work backwards. I don't close the list of tournament provinces between encounters. Have you tried this? The map moving under the list is barely noticeable to me. In fact, I had not even noticed this change until I read this thread.

Darielle

@Darielle I always do the tournament in reverse order. From round 2 onwards, I pull up the list of tournament provinces and work backwards. I don't close the list of tournament provinces between encounters. Have you tried this? The map moving under the list is barely noticeable to me. In fact, I had not even noticed this change until I read this thread.
I can understand that. The map moving under the list is not noticeable to anyone who doesn't have severe motion problems. To those with the syndrome, it's extremely noticeable. Yes, I do work exactly the same way you do, with the screen always open. It's the easiest way to do tourneys.

I think this is not a common illness. Most people don't throw up walking around the old ToonTown, lol. But for those who have this syndrome, it's extremely difficult to find a game you can play. I relished finding Elvenar and it's been the only game I've played for years now, mainly because I'm shut out of others. This could possibly shut me out here, too. But I'm going to try to remember to shut my eyes. Trouble is, when you're going fast, you may not shut them immediately. Even a tiny fraction of a second can trigger symptoms.

I know Inno can't compensate for every illness out there, but I just don't see why they have to break something that wasn't a problem for anyone. No one minded working from the list. This isn't faster or better than the old system. It's just squeezing out however many people have the same problem.

Last edited:

iamthouth

Tetris Master
I agree with @Darielle, there is no need for the background map to move around whilst you are in the tournament overview tab, that is just wasting bandwith uneccesarily. I also don't think that is what @Gkyr meant with the submission, I thought that was just to move to the page of the lowest province available (and time ready) if in the overview, or moving on the map which was fine if moving individually, though still not needed in the overview. It must be possible to separate the two.

Last edited:

Darielle

I found that if I use the Overview tab it works well but it does move in the background until I click on the province I want to open.

Ed
Thanks for checking, Ed. Yes, that's what I've got.

Darielle

I agree with @Darielle, there is no need for the background map to move around whilst you are in the tournament overview tab, that is just wasting bandwith uneccesarily. I also don't think that is what @Gkyr meant with the submission, I thought that was just to move to the page of the lowest province available (and time ready) if in the overview, or moving on the map which was fine if moving individually, though still not needed in the overview. It must be possible to separate the two.
Thank you, I didn't even think of the bandwidth problem, but yes, there is no need.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
It's @Gkyr's fault, they asked for it.
That proposal has not been implemented. When I click the tent I still get taken here:
tournament page 1.png

which is totally useless, and @Gkyr 's suggestion that you linked simply asks for the default landing page to be a useful one (with an open province)

Cleo7311

Most of the time I like the change, but it doesn't always make the swoop. Not sure yet when it does the swoop vs back to the usual list.

Fayeanne

I’m not sure why the change was made, but as a workaround, could you close your eyes briefly right as you click the “awesome” button to finish an encounter?
This is what I have been having to do. Funny: I keep forgetting which confirmation button is going to result in the move so sometimes I close my eyes after the wrong one. :D Overall hoping there is (someday?) a way to disable this though. The movement gives me vertigo and is janky because the map is trying to load while it's in the middle of moving. (Plus I don't...really have a particular need to see where on the map a particular tournament province is?)

Last edited:

BrinDarby

Just tried it, and I can do any of my provinces 1st. ( after round 1 )
I am not forced into doing the lowest Province 1st.
Exactly what got ruined, cause I don't see it.......

Gkyr

Chef
Gkyr, it's kind of hard to see how this change is so great. How is it specifically better?
Evidently, this is a 'crowdsourced' erroneous impression of some change that is not confirmed by others' experiences of the present Tourney. For my part with an upgraded Timewarp I have no problems getting to the encounter that I want to take on next. There are so many encounters to clear in any case that I do not spend any time generating feelings toward the Tourney. I made a suggestion for a change, I do not know if it was implemented or not, I just forge ahead with battles and do not waste energy reacting to what Elvenar decides to do or not do.

My past, discontinued experience in taking on the highest-to-lowest naturally requires always having to click the 'last' button to climb up to the highest province desired, then having to continue to click on a 'last' button and perhaps a 'previous' button in order to work my way back down. This preference on the part of some should not be affected in any way by the changes that Elvenar is considering, which evidently have not been implemented as yet.