• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

WHY would you play a game and not participate...??

Tuschunreal

If you play a game that offers mega rewards for playing tournaments and doing spire, why would you do NONE of those? (compared to sitting with your finger up your nose, they are mega rewards) Why would you refuse to participate in FA if half your fellowship is? (These are newer players not oldies, and notice I did not mention rewards, yes, I know they are not good) Heck, why would you join a fellowship at all, as you are getting absolutely nothing out of it.
Rant over.
I am about to institute minimum requirements for membership. I do not know why I thought folks would follow examples of other productive members. Any suggestions for how I should word it other than put up or shut up...shoot I can't say that because they never interact. I could say get the H E double hockey sticks out, but that would be insulting and I am not about that. Words fail me right now. Suggestions please.
I'm a relatively new Archmage for Relax and Be Merry and recently got onto the forum after support helped get me a login. I am just exploring and am happy to read what others struggle with and do. The fellowship was basically a parking place with no real rules when I first joined in June. I was a new player and was overwhelmed by all there was to learn so had no idea what I wanted nor what was possible so “The Best Fellowship” worked for me. I started cities in other worlds and learned a lot from the different archmages from pretty chill but supportive to strict minimums with chats to those not getting it done for all to see (peer pressure). In short, I discovered there are all kinds of fellowship cultures. I can have a lot more fun with more structure and with some expectations to the fellowship.

I started helping the archmage in The Best Fellowship and as we chatted I discovered he was getting tired. He asked if I wanted to take over which I did. I created a 6-12 month plan for my leadership of the fellowship. I figured it would take time to transition to a 10 chest tourney, silver spire and regular FA fellowship. Yes, I established a goal for myself and no I did not take a pole from the existing members. I felt that a slow change from where we were to where I wanted to take the fellowship would slowly change the membership. Folks will adapt and join in the journey or leave and find a fellowship more in tune with their ideal fellowship.

The first thing I did was change the name of the fellowship to “Relax and Be Merry” and update the overview. I decided I wanted a no stress but active fellowship. I wanted a place to leave the real world so I could relax with new friends and have a good time. I read at least 20 fellowship overviews and drafted a new overview. It has a set of requirements (have fun, build city the way you want....) and asks (neighborly help 4 times a week...) for the members. My idea is to transition the fellowship from no rules to minimums rules by getting the group routine and growing successes. The asks will become the minimums.

We had dropped to 3 chests in the tourney and in a month are back up to 5. I reached out to Archmages and got great suggestions and advice. The single hardest thing I have done is removing players that are inactive. I decided anyone inactive 3 months would be removed, 2 months warned then removed at 3 months. I found a thread in the forum about avoiding burnout and starting posting there. I shared what I was doing about inactive players and Henroo shared his experience to drop in a month. While I struggled for a day I took Henroo’s advice and dropped all players the elvenstats showed as inactive and I had not seen in a month (no chat, no neighborly help). I worked with the prior archmage and we sent 2 week notice to all about inactive players being removed prior to doing so. We shortly after picked up 4 players then two more and are now at 17 active.

Finding players to join takes patience, patience, patience. Telling myself that not you guys. I am trying to communicate about once a day. Like in December that an FA was coming in January, how we did in the tourney (from Elvenstats report) to congrats in chat on getting to 5 chests in weekly tourney.

So why did I tell you my story? I think it fits the title of this thread/area. As Archmage what can I do to inspire players to participate is an aspect of the question asked. I really appreciate the experience and advice I am getting out of the forum. Please share more experience and advice on any aspect of the journey I am taking with “Relax and Be Merry?. Thanks for reading….tuschunreal

Myne

Oh Wise One
I'm a relatively new Archmage for Relax and Be Merry and recently got onto the forum after support helped get me a login. I am just exploring and am happy to read what others struggle with and do. The fellowship was basically a parking place with no real rules when I first joined in June. I was a new player and was overwhelmed by all there was to learn so had no idea what I wanted nor what was possible so “The Best Fellowship” worked for me. I started cities in other worlds and learned a lot from the different archmages from pretty chill but supportive to strict minimums with chats to those not getting it done for all to see (peer pressure). In short, I discovered there are all kinds of fellowship cultures. I can have a lot more fun with more structure and with some expectations to the fellowship.

I started helping the archmage in The Best Fellowship and as we chatted I discovered he was getting tired. He asked if I wanted to take over which I did. I created a 6-12 month plan for my leadership of the fellowship. I figured it would take time to transition to a 10 chest tourney, silver spire and regular FA fellowship. Yes, I established a goal for myself and no I did not take a pole from the existing members. I felt that a slow change from where we were to where I wanted to take the fellowship would slowly change the membership. Folks will adapt and join in the journey or leave and find a fellowship more in tune with their ideal fellowship.

The first thing I did was change the name of the fellowship to “Relax and Be Merry” and update the overview. I decided I wanted a no stress but active fellowship. I wanted a place to leave the real world so I could relax with new friends and have a good time. I read at least 20 fellowship overviews and drafted a new overview. It has a set of requirements (have fun, build city the way you want....) and asks (neighborly help 4 times a week...) for the members. My idea is to transition the fellowship from no rules to minimums rules by getting the group routine and growing successes. The asks will become the minimums.

We had dropped to 3 chests in the tourney and in a month are back up to 5. I reached out to Archmages and got great suggestions and advice. The single hardest thing I have done is removing players that are inactive. I decided anyone inactive 3 months would be removed, 2 months warned then removed at 3 months. I found a thread in the forum about avoiding burnout and starting posting there. I shared what I was doing about inactive players and Henroo shared his experience to drop in a month. While I struggled for a day I took Henroo’s advice and dropped all players the elvenstats showed as inactive and I had not seen in a month (no chat, no neighborly help). I worked with the prior archmage and we sent 2 week notice to all about inactive players being removed prior to doing so. We shortly after picked up 4 players then two more and are now at 17 active.

Finding players to join takes patience, patience, patience. Telling myself that not you guys. I am trying to communicate about once a day. Like in December that an FA was coming in January, how we did in the tourney (from Elvenstats report) to congrats in chat on getting to 5 chests in weekly tourney.

So why did I tell you my story? I think it fits the title of this thread/area. As Archmage what can I do to inspire players to participate is an aspect of the question asked. I really appreciate the experience and advice I am getting out of the forum. Please share more experience and advice on any aspect of the journey I am taking with “Relax and Be Merry?. Thanks for reading….tuschunreal
Thanks for sharing your experiences. It does take time to build a fellowship team, some will fit in and some not. The fellowship I am talking about is a newer one that I started. My main fellowship in Harandar is the absolute best bunch of folks I could ever ask for. I know it will take time to get the new fellowship on Elcysandir to be anywhere near what I have on Harandar. But, I am not going to give up. If I can help you in any way just let me know.

Tuschunreal

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It does take time to build a fellowship team, some will fit in and some not. The fellowship I am talking about is a newer one that I started. My main fellowship in Harandar is the absolute best bunch of folks I could ever ask for. I know it will take time to get the new fellowship on Elcysandir to be anywhere near what I have on Harandar. But, I am not going to give up. If I can help you in any way just let me know.
If you really want to help close down your fellowship in Elcysandir so I don't have to compete with you;) . Just kidding. Our fellowship just added 2 new members and we did well working together on the FA. I appreciate all the folks who have said something more or less that it takes time. It is easy to forget that given the rush, rush of real life. It is kind of nice to remember to slow down and enjoy the journey. As we grow and do better in FA's, tourny and spire I hope to begin competing with the best fellowships. I look forward to seeing you and your fellowship there. cheers...tuschunreal

Myne

Oh Wise One
If you really want to help close down your fellowship in Elcysandir so I don't have to compete with you;) . Just kidding. Our fellowship just added 2 new members and we did well working together on the FA. I appreciate all the folks who have said something more or less that it takes time. It is easy to forget that given the rush, rush of real life. It is kind of nice to remember to slow down and enjoy the journey. As we grow and do better in FA's, tourny and spire I hope to begin competing with the best fellowships. I look forward to seeing you and your fellowship there. cheers...tuschunreal
BAHAHAHA I just did a purge....would you like to come join us???

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
As we grow and do better in FA's, tourny and spire I hope to begin competing with the best fellowships. I look forward to seeing you and your fellowship there. cheers...tuschunreal
It's great to see you learn and hear about your FS growing! Just a warning though... "competing with the best fellowships" and "Relax and Be Merry" could be conflicting agendas. If you recruit people that want to relax and be merry (casual), then they might not enjoy "competing with the best fellowships" (competitive). You might just have more work for yourself later on resorting out personnel mixing the two playing types.

Tuschunreal

It's great to see you learn and hear about your FS growing! Just a warning though... "competing with the best fellowships" and "Relax and Be Merry" could be conflicting agendas. If you recruit people that want to relax and be merry (casual), then they might not enjoy "competing with the best fellowships" (competitive). You might just have more work for yourself later on resorting out personnel mixing the two playing types.
Oh, but just think how a 'competitive' team might feel if we Relax our way to win so we can be Merry all the way home.

crackie

Oh, but just think how a 'competitive' team might feel if we Relax our way to win so we can be Merry all the way home.
That would be ideal and best case scenario! I hope it works out that way for you guys. :)

Experience being in various FS and running a few tells me that most FS drama stems from people putting themselves into a wrong-fitting FS or a FS accepting a mismatch of player types. You would grow in a honeymoon period until you eventually hit a ceiling where you can’t grow anymore unless you cull the mismatched players and deadwood. Otherwise, your competitive players that have been carrying your growth will go play elsewhere bc they don’t want to play with slackers, they’ve outgrown a stagnant FS, or your casual players will quit because they are too stressed to deliver. (There are also casual players in denial that think they are competitive players, but are just not on enough to be able to deliver.) In which case, you get an exodus of the competitive players, and then maybe a year down the line, you’re no better off than when you started, staring at a half-empty FS (except the experience to not do it that way again, hopefully).

Tuschunreal

I am down to 16 or so...I HAD 24 slots taken up.
What crackie says is hella

That would be ideal and best case scenario! I hope it works out that way for you guys. :)

Experience being in various FS and running a few tells me that most FS drama stems from people putting themselves into a wrong-fitting FS or a FS accepting a mismatch of player types. You would grow in a honeymoon period until you eventually hit a ceiling where you can’t grow anymore unless you cull the mismatched players and deadwood. Otherwise, your competitive players that have been carrying your growth will go play elsewhere bc they don’t want to play with slackers, they’ve outgrown a stagnant FS, or your casual players will quit because they are too stressed to deliver. (There are also casual players in denial that think they are competitive players, but are just not on enough to be able to deliver.) In which case, you get an exodus of the competitive players, and then maybe a year down the line, you’re no better off than when you started, staring at a half-empty FS (except the experience to not do it that way again, hopefully).
Excellent advice. I am glad you have shared it. I delayed replying earlier as was not sure what to say. I was trying to have some fun with @Myne in the forum. Sorry if I sent anyone down the wrong path. The competitive part of me wants Relax and Be Merry to grown and become a regular 10 chest and perhaps even silver spire fellowship. I don't really expect Relax and Be Merry to be a top tier fellowship. I am hopeful that over time players in this fellowship we see how participating in Spire and the weekly tournament helps build their cities and they have fun doing it.
I know I like the challenge of learning how to do Spire and Tourney at the least cost maximum reward without taxing my resources too much. I figure it will 6-12 months for things to play out. I started tracking tourney, spire and FA participation. Some members have done all, some do two or one of the three but no one does none of them. I contacted a past member I chatted with when I first joined this fellowship on why he left. He said what you shared. He got tired of working hard and never making 10 chests. So he found a more competitive fellowship and seems happy there. I suppose if we don't get to 10 chests in weekly tournament in next 6-12 months my personal desire for blueprints will have me find a replacement AM and go find a more competitive fellowship. But that is a ways off.

I am in a fellowship in another world that gets 10 chests every week. There are strict minimums and members are reminded if they don't achieve them. I love the blueprints and other team rewards as I grow my city. Funny thing...I am by 2x the smallest city in that fellowship and I have no problem exceeding the minimums week after week. I think I have found a pretty good balance of growing city, tournament, Spire and not running out of goods. knock on wood its been months since I had to post in trader for goods to complete provinces in the tourney. Of course, I post regularly to balance out my non-boosted goods...wow that was a lot of typing.
cheers all...tuschunreal

crackie

I was trying to have some fun with @Myne in the forum. Sorry if I sent anyone down the wrong path.
As someone without a sense of humor or direction, I forgive you. The wrong turn only led me to a broom closet. It looks like they're keeping some dusty, unused emojis and wintery themed light decorations in there. Sadly, nothing good, like a Magic Accomplish Button. They must be keeping that one elsewhere...

It looks like your Ceravyn FS is pretty inactive. 11 of 21 members bear the mark of...the black triangle. The ants have decided we're willing to turn ourselves into a lifeboat to float over and save you, that is if you're interested in being saved. However there are some terms and conditions you must accept before using us as flotation device:
  1. Agree to eat light on Saturday. There will be plenty of snacks once we get home.
  2. Read our FS description and follow instructions (Hint: by submitting a limerick to crackie or @The Fairy, you are also swearing fealty to the Queen of The Anthill™).
  3. Learn to love and climb the Spire.
  4. Be okay with random rantings from crackie about being marble boosted.*
* Everyone else will be cool that you're marble boosted because we only have 2 baby cities making marble, but that crackie is running a shady marble laundering business, and thereby trying to artificially stunt supply to drive up marble prices.

I figure it will 6-12 months for things to play out.
I read your timelines and I wonder if perhaps, you should consider an alternative calendar? I know Lunar New Year just passed. That one is already shorter than the solar calendar. It seems like The Anthill™ currently houses 8 active or retired archmages in our midst (the smart ones retired and are here to make others do the dirty work). We can teach you really awesome archmage-y things about how to properly run a FS, like avoiding marble players. I feel, and this is just my opinion, that we must preserve the sanctity of our FS by keeping marbles out, but @Lady Dastardly said, "We totally need a few people who haven't lost their marble(s). Have you seen the rest of this crew?" Lucky for you, I'm being outnumbered by the Queen and others on this one. We have veterans that have been playing for 7+ years and rookies that just started playing this week. As long as you make good worker ant material, you'll fit right in, even if you're marble boosted.

Tuschunreal

The AntHill with but 22 players and only 11 joined, oh my, how is that possible? What trickery does the Anthill have in place if I were to join. Math not a strong suit? You quibble over marble like you aren’t strong enough to pick up a sizable piece. I didn’t realize ants lost their strength with age, seven years are you?

The AntHill needs marble, crystal and gems. Only 2 may I bring. Good worker am I? Will I fit in with your silliness that I know not. So serious am I. Your score history was looking flat then you must of gotten tired, not a good trait of ants, looks like you dropped off the hill. Not into the water but perhaps so you could climb the other side...through the roof you go. Parabolic if I recall my math's. Sustainable probably not.

Perhaps the broom closet is were you found all those ants, just snuck into the hill without using the front door. 1) may be a deal breaker...I like to eat on Saturday’s. In fact I like to eat on any day that ends in “day”. 2) Can I read? yes I can...I read the instructions but not sure how you sending a limerick counts for me sending you one?. 3) love the Spire not so much so far but climb I do and will, climb I have been for a long time, so long, so old, I climbed a volcano in the US before and after it blew its top scampering to the top looking like ants from afar. 4) Rant too much about marble and you may learn to love only zero and one star trades from me. So far as loosing my marbles I haven’t come to that chapter but when I do I will seek your wise counsel as you must be far past that chapter.

But in the end, a lion I am, relaxing on the savannah, enjoying our pride of 22 actives, no back doors all through the front. Oops. Thats in Elcysanir...strike that

Lady Dastardly

Our foundational ants were stealthy ones, able to sneak into the hill before Elvenstats anyone was tracking. Our graph is an interesting one to be sure. You see, ants work best when working together, and the Fellowship Adventure inspired a flurry of city tidying. Industriously we removed large buildings to replace them with tiny ant sized ones in large numbers. The drop on that graph coincides with a striking rise up the FA rankings, and the reaping of many FS experience points to bolster our perks. Now our graph looks like a fork, which is delightful to a FS with a commitment to snacking at its core.

Will I fit in with your silliness that I know not. So serious am I
Yes, I can tell this about you. There is clearly no tongue in your cheek. ;)

1) may be a deal breaker...I like to eat on Saturday’s. In fact I like to eat on any day that ends in “day”
We talked @crackie into an exception over her distrust of marble boosts, so as long as you have the appetite I'm sure we can swing an exception here as well. And honestly, our chat is 90% about food any day of the week. The ants are munching popcorn right now as I reply. *edited to add cheeseballs have been added to the menu as well*

4) Rant too much about marble and you may learn to love only zero and one star trades from me.
Give as good as you get. Turnabout is fairplay, and the price we pay for all our lost marble(s).

You say you're a lion, and you may very well be in Elcysandir, but in Ceravyn you sure sound like you would make a darn fine ant.

Last edited:

crackie

Young Padawan, consider these free archmage-y lessons on the house Anthill™!

The AntHill with but 22 players and only 11 joined, oh my, how is that possible? What trickery does the Anthill have in place if I were to join. Math not a strong suit?
The best time to change fellowships is after tourney rewards are distributed on Saturday and before new Spire begins on Sunday. Following this tradition, we were formed on a Saturday. Elvenstats doth not auto-scrape until Sundays, and only if you've met certain requirements. Therefore, 11 adventurous ants found their way over on Saturday and were already present before Elvenstats updated. Then 11 more joined after Elvenstats put us in the database. No trickery, just FOMO.

You quibble over marble like you aren’t strong enough to pick up a sizable piece. I didn’t realize ants lost their strength with age, seven years are you?
Seven years, I am not, but there are those that are much older and wiser than I, like those more agreeable to reclaiming our collectively lost marbles. I don't reckon I have lost my strength to pick up stones, but it is stated I am in the marble laundering business. I may or may not be currently hoarding tons of marbles. Let me see a warrant.

Your score history was looking flat then you must of gotten tired, not a good trait of ants, looks like you dropped off the hill. Not into the water but perhaps so you could climb the other side...through the roof you go. Parabolic if I recall my math's. Sustainable probably not.
Ah yes, those with experience and wisdom will understand those dips in a FS's graph. They are the collective commitment of a fellowship to adventure! It's a sign of a group's willingness to teleport away most of their cities to party with the masses in the shantyvilles, a commitment that landed us in the Top 10 for our first FA, despite having a 3-digit rank. I'm also happy to report ZERO ants placed badges into errant checkpoints because ants are really good at following each other's tracks. Pheromones. We needed to catch up on them XP points to build up them FS perky perks and it's easier to collect them wholesale. That's good for what would otherwise have taken 4 weeks of tourneys to acquire the same amount of XPs. We are good worker ants, but we also believe in the ethos of work smarter, not harder.
1674620248200.png

1) may be a deal breaker...I like to eat on Saturday’s.
The terms didn't say fast on Saturday. Just eat light. Do we need to show you an image of ant raft? I mean, ants can float. You'd be the one sinking. Just trying to help you not get wet.

2) Can I read? yes I can...I read the instructions but not sure how you sending a limerick counts for me sending you one?
@The Fairy and I are the recipients of all limericks in applications. Fairy is also the resident smartypants and Head of Tourism. She will tell us if our ant raft will not be able to support a prospective candidate after crunching the numbers. The limerick is non-negotiable though. If it is a deal-breaker, then it's also done its job.

3) love the Spire not so much so far but climb I do and will, climb I have been for a long time, so long, so old, I climbed a volcano in the US before and after it blew its top scampering to the top looking like ants from afar.
Don't worry. The Spire is easier to digest when you wash it down with sparkling blue diamonds. We're prob getting our first Gold Spire this week. Took two months building from the ground up. Ants are social creatures. We like team events and have fun working towards a common goal. I said we're on a different timeline.

4) Rant too much about marble and you may learn to love only zero and one star trades from me. So far as loosing my marbles I haven’t come to that chapter but when I do I will seek your wise counsel as you must be far past that chapter.
We are totally okay if you prefer white stones over blue ones. It doesn't affect us any if you want to stay put. Like I've said, we're willing to float a lifeboat over *if* you're interested in being saved.

when I do I will seek your wise counsel as you must be far past that chapter.
Disclaimer: My counsel may not be the wisest our group has to offer. I wanted to limit our FS to only one marble boosted player.

I hope that has answered your questions, as well as given you a glimpse into how to properly archmage improperly.

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
Ah yes, those with experience and wisdom will understand those dips in a FS's graph. They are the collective commitment of a fellowship to adventure!

Fairy is also the resident smartypants and Head of Tourism. She will tell us if our ant raft will not be able to support a prospective candidate after crunching the numbers.

I crunched some other numbers too and realized we need a lot of blueprints to build a proper Anthill™ for our Queen. So we decided to start collecting those from the first week as can be seen on another graph ;)

crackie

Give as good as you get. Turnabout is fairplay, and the price we pay for all our lost marble(s).
We talked @crackie into an exception over her distrust of marble boosts, so as long as you have the appetite I'm sure we can swing an exception here as well. And honestly, our chat is 90% about food any day of the week. The ants are munching popcorn right now as I reply. *edited to add cheeseballs have been added to the menu as well*
Both are true. They warned me not to scare off the recruit by harping on about the marble thing, but hey, I'm not here to sell rose-colored glasses! Just because I relented about lifeboating a marble player, doesn't mean I won't relentlessly remind her once she's joined our ranks that she's part of the resistance foiling my grand scheme to build a marble monopoly. Better spell out what happens so they can decide for themselves if they want to sign up for this. After all, picking the right fitting fellowship isn't always just about the rewards (that advice is also free)! However, even though we may not see eye-to-eye, it doesn't mean we can't coexist (somewhat) peacefully. I question @Dreamyn2's taste, but let her have her Dr. Pepper, although there's currently an all out war on the topic of Subway against other ants. Shots were fired. Lines were drawn. Limericks were written.

unabashedly stolen from Chris Rupp - Smile on My Face
I hope he at least has a nice singing voice because his rhythm is off on the cadence of the limerick, but we'll give you points for the right rhyming pattern.

Myne

Oh Wise One
Excellent advice. I am glad you have shared it. I delayed replying earlier as was not sure what to say. I was trying to have some fun with @Myne in the forum. Sorry if I sent anyone down the wrong path. The competitive part of me wants Relax and Be Merry to grown and become a regular 10 chest and perhaps even silver spire fellowship. I don't really expect Relax and Be Merry to be a top tier fellowship. I am hopeful that over time players in this fellowship we see how participating in Spire and the weekly tournament helps build their cities and they have fun doing it.
I know I like the challenge of learning how to do Spire and Tourney at the least cost maximum reward without taxing my resources too much. I figure it will 6-12 months for things to play out. I started tracking tourney, spire and FA participation. Some members have done all, some do two or one of the three but no one does none of them. I contacted a past member I chatted with when I first joined this fellowship on why he left. He said what you shared. He got tired of working hard and never making 10 chests. So he found a more competitive fellowship and seems happy there. I suppose if we don't get to 10 chests in weekly tournament in next 6-12 months my personal desire for blueprints will have me find a replacement AM and go find a more competitive fellowship. But that is a ways off.

I am in a fellowship in another world that gets 10 chests every week. There are strict minimums and members are reminded if they don't achieve them. I love the blueprints and other team rewards as I grow my city. Funny thing...I am by 2x the smallest city in that fellowship and I have no problem exceeding the minimums week after week. I think I have found a pretty good balance of growing city, tournament, Spire and not running out of goods. knock on wood its been months since I had to post in trader for goods to complete provinces in the tourney. Of course, I post regularly to balance out my non-boosted goods...wow that was a lot of typing.
cheers all...tuschunreal

Being an GOOD archmage requires both regular communication and attention to elvenstats to see who is going inactive, etc. It's a constant process. MOST of the messages I send in fellowship are communications regarding new information my fellowship needs to be on the top of their game.

Tuschunreal

Assumptions, how does that saying go? Think, think, think...not ready to assume power just want to tag along, toiling, supporting and learning. Or perhaps believing without proof, maybe that's it. Courtship, a funny thing, gives time but only peeking through the window not really knowing. Rewards, yes I am all about the rewards but perhaps not the ones you may think. You'll have to work harder to wipe the smile off my face.