• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

An Interesting Case of Spire Catering

Moho

Chef
It is a case of catering that I want to talk about, but before that I'd like to point out the fact that the discussion board lacks a section where players should exchange ideas related to their catering experience just like the BATTLE HELP section allows fight-oriented players to share their own problems and solutions.

And now let me get to the interesting case of catering I mention in the title. Each catering expert in this game has their own strategy. On round one, when they first test the spirits' preferences, players have their favorite types of outcomes. They're not always the same.

There are some battles where you are supposed to pick from five types of resources to satisfy the demands of five spirits. One of my favorite outcomes is when all the results I get for the first round say WRONG PERSON. I've talked to caterers in my fellowship and on Facebook, and many tend to dislike this outcome, but I love it. When all five spirits declare WRONG PERSON and there are five resources to choose from, I always win. For the second round, I change the position of each resource and usually I satisfy two spirits while the remaining three tell me WRONG PERSON. Every caterer knows that figuring those last three is a piece of cake if you have positioned your offers carefully on the second round.

I catered the Spire in three cities last week. I prefered to do this so that I should save the space for the shanty town. If you fight the Spire you need to not only feed the Fire Phoenix, but also plant the Dwarven Armorer and other combat boosters. In one of the Spire runs, I got this special outcome: five WRONG PERSON results when there were five resources to pick from. I moved each offer one step to the right, and the next outcome said WRONG PERSON three times, whereas two spirits were satisfied with what they had received. Figuring out the remaining three was a mere formality.

I've just obtained the same outcome on my first Spire run this week again. I am catering the Spire for the same reason, but in this city I may have to cater again for a while so that I should save more Dwarven Armorers. Anyway, there were five resources to pick from and I was happy to see all the five spirits had declared WRONG PERSON in unison.

i08.jpg

I moved each offer one step to the right and I got an amazing outcome for the second round: all the spirits were satisfied.

i08.jpg

I know many will say it was sheer luck, but I'm not sure about that. It is a matter of technique too.

Last edited:

Iyapo

Personal Conductor
I dislike the five "wrong person" results. I always give it a second guess because hope springs eternal and the odds should be in my favor but usually end up with 5 "wrong person" results in the second round! HOW! Why! That is pure evil!

It happens often enough that I am always pleasantly surprised when things get eliminated.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I cater by logic. I don't always win. I like when I hit a ton of eliminations. Because I don't use anything but logic, no real method except my brain, it takes longer for me to cater than to fight....lol

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
The only time it's good to have all five "wrong person" is when you have a bare minimum of 6 items from which to choose. Then, you're eliminating at least one (but preferably more ... I'd probably withdraw after the first round if I got all wrong person if there were only six items, but I'd keep it if there were seven or eight because then my odds go way up.)

If you only have 5 items, then getting "wrong person" on all of them is the worst thing you can get. You haven't eliminated anything, which means that on the second round, you have a 25 percent chance of satisfying each spirit. Your chances do go up on the third round, of course, and it's also likely that somebody will have been satisfied in the second round (though not guaranteed). In this scenario, however, your chances never go above 50 percent unless you happened to get very lucky in the second round and got, for example, three people who were satisfied. Then, if you or the other person was already offered one of the remaining two items, it's a guaranteed win. If not, then it's a straight 50/50, not guaranteed. But that involves a great deal of luck on the second round ... luck that you would not have needed if you had gotten two "nobody needs it" the first time around.

The very best scenario with only five items is at least one or even two "nobody needs it" on the first try. That way, you have no more than 3 items for all but one spirit on the second round, and a 33 percent chance is a whole lot better than 25 on every second guess. Even if you don't happen to succeed with anyone on the second round, you're still going to have a much higher chance on the third round simply because you have less items to deal with.

Getting two "nobody needs it" on the first try is a virtual win except for the big boss, where I like to get 3. However on the big boss, with 8 items, I do like all "wrong person" only because you've just eliminated 3 items and done even better than with three nobody needs it. Not much, but a bit better, so that's good there.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Technically, catering is all about the probabilities, much like betting. If you are betting on sports, for example... if you know the capabilities of teams, the talents of the teams, etc... you can win more than you lose. I'm good at betting on football. I have like a 95% correct rate for team picks. Ice hockey, my first true love, is much harder because of that nefarious thing called puck luck... so I run at an 85%. There are more variables in Hockey than in Football. Soccer and Baseball, I never bet on because I am a homer when it comes to the phils, the union, and Man U. Can't bet against them... so I just defer. Not that I bet my own money, but I have friends who get my picks and do quite well. I don't bet on the NBA, but the Nuggets should win it all because the Joker and crew are fun to watch and I despise Florida teams in general... Hopefully they take it in Denver. Tongiht.
But I digress... yes it is down to math... but never rule out intuition....lol it cannot be quantified... but it EXISTS.

Moho

Chef
you find that those you are lowest on are the ones needed about 80% of the time.
An important prerequisite when you cater the Spire, in my opinion, is to completely ignore what you are short of. In my experience, the more you try to avoid spending certain resources the more likely you are to face a seemingly hostile Spire.

When you don't let your judgement and/or intuition be influenced by anything I think you can enjoy this gaming experience at its best.

Moho

Chef
you can load up on Gold and Supplies prior to your run.
I used to think as you do,but the Spire Wizard taught me a different perspective: Keep it simple.
I really enjoy the Astral Phoenix building for allowing me to recharge my gold and supplies a bit less while catering the Spire.

As for the Spire Wizard, I agree it can be a useful tool but it lacks intuition and the ability to analyze context.

Moho

Chef
And now let me show you another "interesting case of Spire catering." It is, in fact, another approach I have developed in time so that I can deal with the Spire as successfully and quickly as I can.

It starts out like one of those encounters which you can't win. The outcome after the first round is a random combination of NOBODY WANTS IT and WRONG PERSON. Nothing correct.

Well, don't dispair. Take a look at the number of resources left to choose from. If there are only three types of resources to pick from, you still have a good chance to win this. Here's an example of how I approach this successfully:

Round 1:
i08.jpg

Round 2:
i08.jpg

Round 3:
i08.jpg

It works in more than 50% of the situations.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
When I do cater I do this as well where you just start from left to right and each time move them over one. Saw it in a YouTube video before I was strong enough to fight. I still cater on occasion for harder encounters. I think a thread for catering experiences and ideas and techniques would be great!

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
While catering my second Spire, I came across with my most common ALL WRONG PERSON experience. There are exactly 5 resources to pick from this time.

Round 1:
View attachment 15922

Round 2:
View attachment 15923

Round 3:
View attachment 15924

I really don't think it's just a matter of luck.
Yeah, it is luck. Let's say that you had chosen on the second round crystal, dust, supplies, coins, and gems. That would have been perfectly plausible. You would have gotten only one spirit instead of two, and on the third round your chances would have been less than 50/50. The fact that you got two wins on the second round, through pure luck, allowed you to up your chances on the third round.