• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Forum Responses

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
When I was academia, a long, long time ago, I taught a class on Group Dynamics. We investigated the structure and process of communication within groups. Here are a few things we observed and which may be applicable here.

1) In any group there are the ones who will influence and the ones who will be influenced. The general tendency with the ones influencing is to speak early and often. In the long run we found, those who spoke in the first three communication acts tended to be the ones who, in the long run, attempted more acts of persuasion (as verses informational, humorous, and social communications). Thus, speaking first on any subject is a good idea if you have an opinion and are desirous of influencing the group.

2) A second thing we studied is how those first communications often set the group norms. The "normal" attitude, method of confrontation, and so on were set early in the group. So if the initial responder didn't like the opinion of the guest speaker, his/her response signaled to the others in the group the expected response. The reason the first response has such influence is that in general humans think early public responses by leaders are the "official" view...i.e. the view of the group. So the leader said it and therefore I now know how I'm supposed to feel about it.

3) While the first two of these seem to say the influenced are just sheep, it is more complex than that. Sometimes a historically high status member challenges the initial response of the group, but if he/she does so it is usually from the basis of reasoning and evidence rather than simple emotion. While he/she can say, "I disagree," all that is occuring is his/her summation of his/her thoughts and feelings are being stacked up against the first speakers summation of his/her thoughts. At that point is a battle of wills rather than reasons. In groups the higher status members get a bit of leeway from the norms and can change them to some degree but to do so once those norms have been set takes more than "I don't feel that way." So if the initial response says the guest speaker's ideas are "stupid," that's the status quo for the group. Any challenge to the summation must be carefully presented. If the one disagreeing simply states his/her disagreement without laying out some reasoning the whole thing tends to become a struggle between two personalities rather than a discussion of the matter at hand.

4) A fourth idea we watched in groups was the flow of information. Generally speaking the high status members directed their comments at each other and let the others be observers. When this happened most of the time those "lower status" members were like sheep more than contributing members. But they weren't entirely that way. Often their responses were delivered in private. They would approach the high status member in private to get clarification etc.

5) The process and structure of a group, we found, could constantly change. It usually didn't unless one or more of the leaders was absent, or said something very much against the group norms. But before that happened that leader had his/her "leadership credit" whereby they were given the benefit of the doubt to some degree or other.

6) Not every good idea came from the high status individuals. But if the idea was actually considered it had to be championed by one of the higher status members. If a low status member made a suggestion or presented an idea, if a high status person didn't speak up immediately, the idea went by the wayside. Often, later, the same idea got it's "day in court" but only if a high status person presented it. In fact, often, in recalling the source of the idea, no one remembered the one who actually introduced it and credit was given to the higher status individual...who himself may not have remembered it being presented by the low status member.

All of this, in this forum, tells us some of the pitfalls of speaking up. The responses of the audience, if they are knee-jerk, short, and obviously passionate, can set a negative tone as well as a positive. Unfortunately, though, we tend to be more resistant to new ideas than enthusiastic about things with which we already agree. So the negative side in thing is usually the first thing to be expressed.

In addition, when we express our opinion in short, emotive language, we are usually presenting a summation of a what we think. Saying "he's stupid" is a summation of the stupid acts and words of the one to whom one is referring. Unfortunately, leaders tend to do this with the assumption that because they are in a place of at least social authority, they need not explain themselves. But, as they sometimes find out, "their passion does not equal my persuasion." You can be as passionate as you like, it's your right to be passionate, but you shouldn't expect the summation of how you got to the point of feeling as you do, to be a replacement for an explanation of why you feel as you do. You may think the guy stupid, but my experience with him may be other than yours.

And finally, just because somebody you admire or who has influence in the group, sums up their feelings (and in doing so implies all should feel the same), doesn't mean you should be influenced by their summation. Ask for why the leader believes/feels as he/she does.

That's it for now.

AJ

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
It's all about patience and reasoning. People might not agree publicly or instantly but they eventually understand and go with what makes the most sense and works the best. Either way, the one challenging the group's view is never the popular one. :D

Katwick

Cartographer
we are usually presenting a summation of what we think.
I think interest level is also an important factor.

If the subject is Cauldrons or Ancient Wonders, I'll read the post more carefully than a discussion about Level 21 City configurations.

One of the nice things about a forum is that you can bookmark a discussion, and then come back to it later, once the dust has settled.
FB_IMG_1641430188775.jpg

Last edited:

Katwick

Cartographer
The concepts of
have all been with us throughout our school years. The boundaries may blur a bit once we're out of school, but time and talent will always play a role.

The only issue that I have with The Consortium is the pretense that it's a new idea. I'm quite OK with the necessity of noobs doing a bit of research before picking an appropriate Fellowship for their interests.

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
I used to be quite active on other forums but it got tiring to be attacked every time I had a different opinion to the established majority of the forum. All I want is to share what works for me that others might find useful and support this great generous game. It isn't intended to persuade anyone to change their opinion or attack anyone, it's up to them to decide what makes the most sense and what works the best for them. After all, we are all different and have different opinions that doesn't mean that we're saying that other people's opinion is stupid just because we have a different one.

So I thought I'd try US forum. I loved it, I was able to say what I thought without judgement. When other people didn't like it, they just ignored it. When we agreed then we liked each other posts. It was great!

Now, I'd love to know what happened to that forum. Where is the diversity and tolerance?

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I love my Warriors and Strats! :p:D
That's not how it works. Nobody's ever sad or rejected getting more Orc Strats. You're supposed to pick an UNpopular opinion and wear it on your sleeves. Take all the hate and ridicule while standing tall and true to your convictions. If you really hold your beliefs to be your absolute truth, then you don't need any external validation from anyone. It wouldn't matter one way or another if anyone agrees with you. You don't need anyone on your bandwagon and you don't need to sell your idea to anyone, especially @Sprite1313.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
That's not how it works. Nobody's ever sad or rejected getting more Orc Strats. You're supposed to pick an UNpopular opinion and wear it on your sleeves. Take all the hate and ridicule while standing tall and true to your convictions. If you really hold your beliefs to be your absolute truth, then you don't need any external validation from anyone. It wouldn't matter one way or another if anyone agrees with you. You don't need anyone on your bandwagon and you don't need to sell your idea to anyone, especially @Sprite1313.

Interesting. Do you actually think I need external validation? I think that I can stand on my own quite well. At least my every second post (I think) is not popular while all it does is stating the truth to my best knowledge that others ignore. A lot of times, couple of weeks later, others say the same thing and everyone loves it. Have you tried to do it on your own? It's fun!

crackie

Have you tried to do it on your own?
Yes. If you read between the lines, I am really talking about the Bud Sorceress Fan Club and not you. That started when I observed how everyone ragged on Bud Sorceress around these parts. I decided to be her lone defender in a sea of hate. After a few years of mockery and ridicule, we started picking up more members, but I was her sole champion for awhile, having intentionally placed myself in everyone’s crosshairs.

Haters are gonna hate and flippers are just gonna flip. Who the heck cares. Be like @Alram and stand by your conviction enough to take your Enar out of multiple run stages. If she needs to post and announce every time she made another level of upgrade, I'm going to think maybe she's not so sure about her own stance on that Enar. She's sure trying awfully hard to convince everyone else Enar is worth every upgrade. I'd be more sold of her confidence that she really loves that thing if she just came out and *BAM* showed us a level 35 fully upgraded and complete Enar.

Dew Spinner

Yes. If you read between the lines, I am really talking about the Bud Sorceress Fan Club and not you. That started when I observed how everyone ragged on Bud Sorceress around these parts. I decided to be her lone defender in a sea of hate. After a few years of mockery and ridicule, we started picking up more members, but I was her sole champion for awhile, having intentionally placed myself in everyone’s crosshairs.

Haters are gonna hate and flippers are just gonna flip. Who the heck cares. Be like @Alram and stand by your conviction enough to take your Enar out of multiple run stages. If she needs to post and announce every time she made another level of upgrade, I'm going to think maybe she's not so sure about her own stance on that Enar. She's sure trying awfully hard to convince everyone else Enar is worth every upgrade. I'd be more sold of her confidence that she really loves that thing if she just came out and *BAM* showed us a level 35 fully upgraded and complete Enar.
Except the stance on Enar's actually might persuade lots of new players to build it and it is really useless for most players. I agree with your motto but standing you ground when you know it will hurt a large number of new players, might not be so wise, unless you don't care about screwing up new players' games. I also agree that buddy has her nuanced place in the game but I can not say the same about Enars. It might be OK for a niche play style but for most players it is useless. I do the whole Spire to the top and the first 20 provinces to 6 stars with Barracks troops only, so I use Buddy a lot and that saves my specialized troops for the rest of the Tournament! Enars would never give me that much benefit.

Last edited:

crackie

Except the stance on Enar's actually might persuade lots of new players to build it and it is really useless for most players. I agree with your motto but standing you ground when you now it will hurt a large number of new players, might not be so wise unless you don't care about screwing up new players' games. I also agree that buddy has her nuanced place in the game but I can not say the same about Enars. It might be OK for a niche play style but for most it is useless. I do the whole Spire to the top and the first 20 provinces to 6 stars with Barracks troops only, so I use Buddy a lot! Enars would never give me that much benefit.
New players be damned! You don’t need to care what they or anyone else thinks is the point. Believe whatever you want to believe.

(Sorry, new players, but I respect you have brains and can form your own decisions if you’ve made it this far and found the forum.)

Dew Spinner

New players be damned! You don’t need to care what they or anyone else thinks is the point. Believe whatever you want to believe.

(Sorry, new players, but I respect you have brains and can form your own decisions if you’ve made it this far and found the forum.)
That is where the mistake happens, LOTS of players come to the forum looking for tips and tricks to succeed in the game and if "old timers" are steering them wrong (because they are standing their ground) then they are doing a disservice to the game as a whole. You have always said that "new" players need help and guidance. steering them wrong isn't help and guidance. It's making them frustrated to the point of not continuing to play the game. Once they come to the realization that Enars is useless they will have already spent a ton of kp, put out an expansion or 2 to house it and taken a Spire/Tournament penalty hit for not only the AW levels but the expansions to house it. What players fail to understand is that the 4 factors involved in the Spire/Tournament Penalty are NOT added together they are multiplied against each other. So, only a small increase by a few AW levels and an expansion or 2 is much larger due to the multiplying effect, 4 + 4 = 8. 4 x 4 =16 . As you said, that isn't a problem for "casual" players but most new players who seek out the Forum are not "casual" players and their games can be seriously messed up by info that is either wrong or only for niche play styles. With that said, I am all ears for anyone who can put forth a "great" argument for why Enars is anything but garbage, except for a niche play style.

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Sorry folks, I can't join your planet, I'm too busy on Earth to stand by my convictions. :p:D

PS. My user name is Silly Bubbles for a reason! :D:eek: