• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Can not upgrade residence

InvincibleRailroad

I am trying to upgrade a residence from level 4 to level 5. The requirements say I must have a 3x5 space. I have a new and empty 5x5, but it still says I need a 3x5. Am I missing something?

Calenmir

At the bottom does it say Move and Upgrade? If so, just click the Move and Upgrade and then put it right back down. The reason is that it is expecting the free space to be on a specific side of the building. If the free spaces are on the other or wrong side it won't recognize that.

Hope this helps.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
If your residence is not positioned correctly, the button will be "move and upgrade." The buildings have a home square which is at the top, so they won't build "up" they always build "down" from that square. If it is currently too close to the road for that to work, you will have to move it before it can build.

The other thing to watch for is if the button says "research" which means you can't actually build any higher until you progress to a larger version in the research tree. It is not obvious, but if the button says "research" then you are not actually capable of upgrading yet.

InvincibleRailroad

If your residence is not positioned correctly, the button will be "move and upgrade." The buildings have a home square which is at the top, so they won't build "up" they always build "down" from that square. If it is currently too close to the road for that to work, you will have to move it before it can build.

The other thing to watch for is if the button says "research" which means you can't actually build any higher until you progress to a larger version in the research tree. It is not obvious, but if the button says "research" then you are not actually capable of upgrading yet.

linronhan

My residence is at level 15, I have looked in the research menu (several levels) & cannot see where I can research to move to next level. Looks like I will need to add new residence to add population

DeletedUser6857

My residence is at level 15, I have looked in the research menu (several levels) & cannot see where I can research to move to next level. Looks like I will need to add new residence to add population

The next upgrade is in Dwarves (chapter 6). You can find the information on all the buildings and when the techs for upgrades are available in the Wiki

DeletedUser7370

Thanks for the help & info. Is this info in the WIKI or still to come?
You have to drill down in the Wiki to find it and the links are not entirely obvious. From the main click on Buildings in the left list, then click on the icon of a house for basic buildings, scroll down a bit and click on the residence for your race. You can then read all the details.

InvincibleRailroad

Getting close to Level 6, and I was wondering something. I will have 22 Level 15 residences, 2 possibly 4 magic level 5 residences and 6 Level 15 workshops and 2 level 5 magic workshops. Will I be in good shape, or do I need to add anything. By the way, 6 level 15 marble, 3 level 15 crystal and 3 level 8 gems. So how am I looking?

Mykan

Oh Wise One

Once you obtain superior residences the next upgrade does not occur until Dwarves in Chapter 6. At that stage you get a new residence upgrade each chapter but only 2 levels per chapter. So extra residences, culture/pop buildings or wonders are the way to go about increasing population once you are fully upgraded.

Getting close to Level 6, and I was wondering something. I will have 22 Level 15 residences, 2 possibly 4 magic level 5 residences and 6 Level 15 workshops and 2 level 5 magic workshops. Will I be in good shape, or do I need to add anything. By the way, 6 level 15 marble, 3 level 15 crystal and 3 level 8 gems. So how am I looking?

Everything is incredibly relative based on your style of play. From my observation and personal experience I ignore the number of residence and just build what I need. The key areas to figure out are:
  • Goods factories - How many for each tier of good, Doing this based on squares is the best as you can then compare to other people with different races and boosts. Sounds like you are (if elven):
    • Tier 1 - 36 squares (factories 6 squares each)
    • Tier 2 - 48 squares (factories 16 squares each)
    • Tier 3 - 60 squares (factories 20 squares each
  • Number of workshops - Number depends on many things
    • Frequency of play
    • Style - Combat, negotiate, mix
    • Number of factories and size - Your T3 factories are very greedy on supplies, other 2 tiers are much smaller on needs
    • Tournament play
    • Number of builders does effect this too but is limited to building phases
    • Combat buildings - Number of armories in particular
    • Wonders - tome of secrets and endless excavation, later prosperity towers
    • Reliance on PoP spells
    • Reliance on cycling quests
  • Population from culture buildings - mostly from events
  • Population from wonders - Gold abyss and later Mt Halls
These areas will have the biggest impact on what is needed.

If I make some inferences based on the information you provided I would say your workshops may need attention. 6 normal workshops with regular game play can handle 40 squares of factories for each tier otherwise 8 normal factories. Your extra tier 3 factory will place large pressure on your supplies and determine how soon you need to upgrade. If you do tournaments I would suggest dropping the extra T3 factory as you upgrade the others as 40 squares is sufficient and there is higher demand on T1 and T2 goods. Your T1 goods could probably use a boost (more on that later).

As I have not used magic workshops a lot depends on how good their output is but you can easily compare it to a normal one to see if it is as good even if it is at a lower magic level. The current level 5 ones I believe are for your current chapter so they will be outperforming your current normal ones and may be fine for dwarves, would need to check improvements.

In respect to your T1 goods they get an upgrade in Dwarves so their size increases. If you keep them all this will increase to 60 squares but require a lot of population. You could decrease by 1-2 factories as they upgrade and still maintain the current balance while increasing goods production.

Residences also change in population per square so it will vary how many you need. Remember you need a lot of space for the guest race section. As I said at the start assign the space for your factories and workshops and use the residences to match. If you plan to keep every building you currently have space will get tighter and tighter throughout the guest races so sometimes downsizing qty of buildings as they improve in output per square can be the way to manage the space.

Sorry for the essay :):rolleyes:

DeletedUser6857

@Mykan I like your way of analyzing goods requirements, as squares, since the buildings between good type and race for T1 vary so much. So for the earlier chapters before getting into the guest races (4-6) how many squares would you devote to T1 & T2 factories respectively? I'm currently playing 3 cities (all elves) and have one using each of the T1 goods. The T2 goods seem to be pretty even, with some minor differences in how far each research upgrade will let you take them, but not so drastically different that I think it would matter. I fight some but tend to cater.

My first city in chapter 4 has 7 superior steel and I was thinking of building another as I seem to always be short on T1 goods. It has 8 WS that are either lvl 9 or 10 giving me room for growth as needed. My other 2 (started at the same time) are in chapter 3 and have 12 factories (planks and marble) that are still advanced level (2x2). Those cities seem to be doing better with T1 supply but they also had fortuitous timing with the tournaments for those boosts that the first city did not so that is no doubt helping them. They each have 6 WS still at lvl 5 on average. All have (or will have) 3 T2 factories either crystal or silk currently advanced level. I generally don't have problems with supply shortages in any of my cities. When I need extra supplies during big growth spurts I run some PoP spells to make up for the temporary jump in supply requirements.

So when all the T1 factories are superior that will be 72 squares for the planks and marble. The steel city currently has 63 squares for steel and I was thinking I need another factory to bring that up to 72 as well.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

DeletedUser8783

DeletedUser8783

thanks for the info on research message, guess I'll have to wait on upgrade