• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The Other "Why I'm better than everyone else" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser7919

giphy.gif

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Passive aggressive people.
Fools who think they are clever.
People who continue to believe ridiculous ideas no matter how much evidence proves otherwise.

People who think their idea of things is the only way but are if fact just Forum Bullies

I have never found Ashrem to be a bully.
No matter how much we may disagree in discussions.
But then I am not overly sensitive to hearing opposing views.

DeletedUser5669

People who post reviews of movies and/or TV shows who can't distinguish between a badly made movie or show and one that they simply don't like. I've seen things that I don't like that I can tell are very well made and/or are very good within a given genre. There is a difference between not liking something and it being bad.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I was just thinking of that. You know, when you sent me the PMs in game telling me you'd figured out I was a psychotic and how sorry you felt for me and wish you had never been mean to me.
People who post reviews of movies and/or TV shows who can't distinguish between a badly made movie or show and one that they simply don't like. I've seen things that I don't like that I can tell are very well made and/or are very good within a given genre. There is a difference between not liking something and it being bad.
This is a very good thing to be bothered by. It goes with people who can't tell the difference between a review and a plot synopsis.

DeletedUser5669

Oh my goodness, that is so very true! Also, because sometimes even the plot synopses manage to be avoid this problem, the ones who don't get that spoilers don't belong in reviews.

DeletedUser

@Eideann of Daidu
Like the fool newspaper film critic who, after reviewing Star Trek III: The Search For Spock, ended his review with: "Merry Christmas, he's alive."

DeletedUser5669

Like the fool newspaper film critic who, after reviewing Star Trek III: The Search For Spock, ended his review with: "Merry Christmas, he's alive."

OMG, not seriously! That would have pissed me off!

DeletedUser

Oh, yeah. I was thrilled that Spock was alive, but I would rather have found that out myself. I don't recall seeing reviews from that critic in that paper again. :p

DeletedUser7919

The reviewers who chap my hide are the ones who didn't finish reading/watching or even try to read/watch, but still believe they are an authority on the subject. During Harry Potter's biggest days there were people claiming with absolute certainty that the books should be banned because they promoted Devil worship and real witch's spells and lead children to the dark side. I really really really had a good time asking those same people if they liked Wizard of Oz or Lord of the Rings or The Lion, The WItch, and The Wardrobe. Shocking how many just LOVED Wizard of Oz and argued with me about the similarities in the two stories. *sigh*

Ridiculous. Or should I say "Riddikulus"?

DeletedUser5669

Well, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is thinly veiled Christian theology, but I know exactly what you mean. I worked in a bookstore with a manager who hid Harry Potter in the back to make it less likely that people would buy it. I think it was the word witch that did it for most of the hardline religious types. They're hard-wired to react to that word.

I get irritated with reviewers who can't recognize understated acting when they see it. Like the folks who complained about Daniel Radcliffe in the early movies because "he just had this wooden face" and "didn't react obviously enough." How do you think people act when they expect constant abuse? Sheesh!

Note: Those aren't quotes, they're paraphrases. I just used quotation marks to set them off as not my opinion.

EDIT:

Shoot, that last comment about the word witch is a little irrelevant. There were witches in Oz that weren't bad guys. Rarer than in the Wizarding World, but still, they were there. Of course, most people only know the movie, where Glinda looks all glamorous and fairy-like.

DeletedUser

**Facepalm**

I see we've had quite similar experiences. :confused:

Real spells...right. Expelliarmus does not whisk your dog out of the kitchen when you're cooking, and unfortunately, Expecto Patronum does not actually banish darkness. And Accio Chocolate doesn't work either. (Of course, I could have a Zonko wand...)

Religious people can be wobbly where magic and mysticism are concerned. I had a Catholic co-worker who was one of the most wonderful people in the world, but she would get very upset if you mentioned Harry Potter in her presence. I tried to explain once that the real message in HP was that Love is stronger than Hate, and that Good will triumph over Evil, but she refused to listen because it involved Witchcraft. And yet, the person who eventually got me into Harry Potter was Mormon. You just never know.

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is thinly veiled Christian theology

Which was why Tolkien disliked it. :D

the books should be banned because they promoted Devil worship and real witch's spells and lead children to the dark side.

Yeah, I've heard that argument before. I tell them I'm still waiting for my mighty powers of cabinet-making to manifest since I read a couple of carpentry books.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
The reason there was so much "religious" hatred directed towards Harry Potter is because it was wildly popular with kids.
There are people who make money by scaring parents.
ie Televangelists and politicians
The same people who at various times have warned about the evils of marijuana, rock and roll, dungeons and dragons, and homosexuality.

DeletedUser

The reason there was so much "religious" hatred directed towards Harry Potter is because it was wildly popular with kids.
There are people who make money by scaring parents.
ie Televangelists and politicians
The same people who at various times have warned about the evils of marijuana, rock and roll, dungeons and dragons, and homosexuality.

Remember the PMRC?

When I was 14, my English class had to do a research assignment on an historical figure of our choice. They had to have been an actual person (not Sherlock Holmes :p ), but they didn't have to be still living. There were five people I wanted to research, and in the end I chose Stephen King. Out of a class of 20 students, 12 actually turned the assignment in, and out of that 12, I was the only one who got an A. Teacher liked it, but was a little disturbed that I chose him. I told her I had really wanted to choose Aleister Crowley. I think I got a letter home for that...

Anyway, there are people in this world who sometimes seem to exist solely to make other people miserable. There were even people in the late 60's that tried to force Gene Roddenberry to change Spock's ears. They thought the ears made him look 'satanic'. Funny that...when I was little, I thought he was an Elf.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
For Elvenar I'd say the thing that annoys me the most is waiting for quality of life improvements. Inno tends to wait until they have what they consider the perfect solution before implementing any change. Sometimes a temporary fix and then a more permanent "perfect" one would be nice.

Like the new difficulty shown on the world map. Great improvement, fixed quite a few issues, but took almost a year to implement when there was what seems like a very simple fix that would have gotten us half way there.

Or showing culture on mouse-over when visiting others. I'm sure they've been working on something awesome for the 12 months that we've been asking for it, but in the meantime, why not just change the name of new event buildings to "Mysterious Egg 4900"?
It isn't a perfect solution, but it would also only take an extra 3 minutes when programming each event.

DeletedUser5669

@Azkaban and @mucksterme

There are lots and lots of people whose sole goal in life is to tell other people what not to do. Often they don't tell you what to do, because that's not what interests them. It's stomping on other people's fun.

I had a friend who had to lie about what she was doing when she came to play D&D with us because her mom believed it was devil worship. This was when we were both in college. Oddly, the mom read fantasy and science fiction, but . . .

I had a work friend to whom I had confided my pagan religious leanings who informed me that she disapproved of Harry Potter because magic was evil. I pointed out that pagans sometimes practice magic in their religious ceremonies. She said that 'hate the sin, love the sinner' nonsense, and I was floored. Took me week to figure out how to talk to her again. I decided to think of her as slightly defective, incapable of seeing anyone else's point of view but her own. Of course, she didn't want to handle one of our customer's files because the customer's ID number was 100666, so that should say something about her common sense.

DeletedUser

I was extremely fortunate to have the parents that I had, because they were very open-minded people. They didn't 'freak out' over any of my interests (that they knew about), and there were a lot of things that we shared a love of. It was other people in the family that weren't so accepting but, it never mattered what they thought. My parents were just fine with how I turned out.

I was content to identify as Pagan until I hit about 30. I realized some misinformed folks thought that meant I was a Satanist (though, I have been a King Diamond fan since I was 20, so that didn't help). So I decided to differentiate myself by saying that I am a Non-Orthodox Odinist. Which is the truth, but I said that just to watch their eyes glaze over while they tried to figure it out. The last few years, however, some people lose their poo when you mention Odinism because of the negative association with the whole white supremacy BS, so I have to be careful. Some people glare at me when they notice the traditional Thor's Hammer that I wear, but most of them are too afraid to ask what it actually means to me. Marvel's given me an out though; if I'm asked, I get to say, "Loki is my King", and they pretty much nod and leave me alone.

So yeah...ignorance bothers me. Ask a body before you assume and flip your lid.

DeletedUser5669

So yeah...ignorance bothers me. Ask a body before you assume and flip your lid.

This calls to mind an occasion in high school. I graduated in 1989, so my high school years were dead in the middle of the 'wear 60 or so buttons on your jeans jacket' phase of fashion. I was wearing a button I'd gotten from my father, swag from some vendor or other, that read CIA. One of my classmates strode up and loomed at me (him 5'10 to 6'0, me 4'11) and demanded to know why I supported the Central Intelligence Agency. I listened to him rant for about a minute, then told him sweetly that I was supporting the Celestial Intervention Agency (Doctor Who). He nearly fell over, he backpedaled so hard. Assumptions, feh!

DeletedUser

@Eideann of Daidu

LOL because I've had similar. And I'm not much taller than you! And my first episode of Doctor Who was Jon Pertwee's last. So my adventure started with Tom Baker. :)

I'm bothered by Americans who can't seem to accept British Sci-Fi as legitimate Sci-Fi. "Red Dwarf is a Britcom" a friend of a friend told me once and all I could do was laugh. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.