• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

This is nuts!!

DeletedUser9399

Perhaps you walk into a neighborhood bar expecting the regulars to hate you, so you put that bias on every comment they make.

Not so much, I usually get along with most people - which may be why I'll call out those who do act like, ummm - lets just say a little proprietary.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Then ignore them, nobody is dragging the "old guard" out by the scruff of the neck to make them answer to those dang newbies.
You realize if you step back to the beginning of this, all I said was there are some people who react badly to seeing the same things over and over? Live with it or ignore it was the gist of my post when someone felt oppressed by a negative response. I've never had a problem or a need to ignore anyone. I like the back-and-forth of a logical discussion. Even when people call me troll I've never ignored anyone because my feelings aren't particularly delicate. That doesn't mean I wont challenge it. If they present opinions about something that are facts, I'll correct it. If they present an argument, I'll accept it or counter it. If they try to use names to browbeat me into letting them have their way by making it look like I'm a bad person for disagreeing with their opinoins, I'll point it out and make sure everyone knows what they are doing.

DeletedUser9399

You realize if you step back to the beginning of this, all I said was there are some people who react badly to seeing the same things over and over? Live with it or ignore it was the gist of my post when someone felt oppressed by a negative response. I've never had a problem or a need to ignore anyone. I like the back-and-forth of a logical discussion. Even when people call me troll I've never ignored anyone because my feelings aren't particularly delicate. That doesn't mean I wont challenge it. If they present opinions about something that are facts, I'll correct it. If they present an argument, I'll accept it or counter it. If they try to use names to browbeat me into letting them have their way by making it look like I'm a bad person for disagreeing with their opinoins, I'll point it out and make sure everyone knows what they are doing.

blah?
blah, blah?

yea, got it, sure.

DeletedUser7370

blah?
blah, blah?
That response clearly shows you didn't bother to read a word of it. It is your loss, because Ashrem was writing a simple truism that applies to all people regardless of their position. Or in the alternate, you read it and were so offended by the way he suggested taking personal power and denying bullies their pleasure that you felt obligated to poo-poo it. In either case you need some help. Please seek a professional that can help you with your particular emotional disconnect; it is beyond us in this forum to properly diagnose and help you.

DeletedUser9399

I read it.
perhaps your truisms aren't quite as wise as you like to think they are.

Yes I do.
There are about four or five of you guys that might want to consider controlling your compulsion to reply to my questions.

Thank you, you have been so helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4790

this is probably the most helpful forum i've ever seen
the "old guard" loves helping newbies

The funniest thing about all this is that it all started because Eldinar asked a few questions and was given basically the same answers by Ashrem and me.

I will admit though, there is a feeling of not being a part of the "Elvenar Forum Boys and Girls Club" when a player first comes here and tries to help.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
There are about four or five of you guys that might want to consider controlling your compulsion to reply to my questions.
remember this? When I spent close to an hour composing a reply to your combat questions (including arranging a battle I had no need to fight so I could get screen caps), shortly before you started attacking people for disagreeing with your assessment of whether the combat need to be changed by saying since their forum info says "new member" they must either be a developer team member or not know what they are talking about?. I feel confidant that's pretty much the point when it started going bad.

We answered your questions with a mix of the facts we know and our opinions of whether that needs to be changed or not (in response to your opinion that it needed changing). None of those opinions were an attack on you, they were an attack on your position/opinions. Responsible forum participation (and indeed life) requires understanding the difference. No one is required to agree with anyone else. Everyone should treat everyone else with respect until they've shown they don't deserve it.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One

DeletedUser9399

remember this? When I spent close to an hour composing a reply to your combat questions (including arranging a battle I had no need to fight so I could get screen caps), shortly before you started attacking people for disagreeing with your assessment of whether the combat need to be changed by saying since their forum info says "new member" they must either be a developer team member or not know what they are talking about?. I feel confidant that's pretty much the point when it started going bad.

We answered your questions with a mix of the facts we know and our opinions of whether that needs to be changed or not (in response to your opinion that it needed changing). None of those opinions were an attack on you, they were an attack on your position/opinions. Responsible forum participation (and indeed life) requires understanding the difference. No one is required to agree with anyone else. Everyone should treat everyone else with respect until they've shown they don't deserve it.

You make my point.
Not worth wasting your time.

Calenmir

Only in provinces where you are facing Mist Walkers and Rangers will the enemies have an advantage on initiative. For all the other provinces it pretty much goes both ways.

The first fighter you select is always placed in the middle, the second fighter to his left, the third to his right, the fourth at the top of the screen and the fifth and the bottom of the screen. Placing you fighters in the best possible position can make a huge difference in almost every fight.

True indeed, I always place my troops where I want them when attacking the enemies, the game will almost always place them in bad spots.

This only happens when the enemy has larger squads than the player. It is advisable to scout only the amount of provinces needed to unlock the next chapter in the research tree. The cost for fighting and negotiating to complete a province will increase with each newly scouted province. If a player stays within the number of provinces necessary to unlock the next chapters chest, most of the fights will be on a medium difficulty level or under, with maybe just a one or two hard provinces.

A quick refresh of the game will almost always fix that problem. If you find you are having this issue more often than not, you may need to clear your browser's cache or try a different browser.
I've apologized before for not being capable of just pulling the quote I want, and I guess I need to do so again here, so I'm sorry. This thread just now came to my attention, and thank you VERY MUCH for these bits of info. Very specifically the tip where you state where each troop is placed based on selection and how it impacts the battle. I'm sure that has been stated by many players a million times (for you math wizards, please disregard that statement, it's my estimate) but until recently I hadn't even tried fighting, so the post is most excellent in my opinion! As for anyone who might have said the same or similar, thanks to you too.

It is something to consider on Tuesday! Or the next time I find an 'easy or medium' province to clear. Thanks so much.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@ Calenmir: I had stayed away from fighting through the first several chapters and when I finally decided to try it, I found this thread a very helpful place to start
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/combat-101.4968/

not being capable of just pulling the quote I want

I just figured out the 'part of a quote' thing in the last few days! Highlight the part of the post you wish to quote, a little bubble pops up with the choices 'quote/reply' Choose quote and a button 'insert quote' pops up at the bottom of the screen; click that and choose the quote and it only inserts the part you highlighted into your reply box.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I just figured out the 'part of a quote' thing in the last few days! Highlight the part of the post you wish to quote, a little bubble pops up with the choices 'quote/reply' Choose quote and a button 'insert quote' pops up at the bottom of the screen; click that and choose the quote and it only inserts the part you highlighted into your reply box.
That's brilliant! Thank you.

For the last year I've been quoting the whole thing and manually deleting the parts I didn't want.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
For the last year I've been quoting the whole thing and manually deleting the parts I didn't want.

I was doing that, too! Sometimes with disastrous results as I would remove some of the necessary formatting language by accident, lol!

DeletedUser8187

The guides have helped me a lot. I kept the page open to use as reference before I suited up my armies. With very little casualties, and racking up the relics. But the last two tourneys the armies are 2 of these guys, 2 of those guys, 2 dogs. I have to use my own noggin to figure them out. When that happens my casualties rise significantly and I have to cater much sooner. Its pretty rare when I get armies that are made up of mostly 1 type. I haven't reached banshee yet and my scorcress get wiped out before they can pick up their weapon. Thanks to soggy I have stopped fighting in the provinces, only cater now. My troops don't get down to 1 or 2 anymore. I still keep the guide handy, and my treants squads as high as possible. I can manage most battles while keeping 1 treant squad still standing.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Goldenberry I find this site helpful for picking troops: https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/
Under their 'tournaments' tab each province is described in detail (with pictures!) regarding the types of troops you will face and the troop combinations likely to produce the best results with the fewest losses. I keep that page open for reference along with Mykan's battle guide. Since I use Chrome, it does cause me to have to resize the browser frequently due to the game freezing intermittently when going back and forth on other tabs.