• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Spooktacular Halloween Event!

DeletedUser4616

Upgrade a building to level 20?! Nothing in my city is higher than Level 17, and I'd have to complete research trees in future chapters to do so. There's an alternative: research a technology. I'm in the Dwarves Chapter. It will be another week of accumulating copper before I can do that. So I'm finished.

I have not cared for the art on this event. The prizes look like bleak gray horror scenes. I wish I could delete Crash's heavy-jawed face from my screen. He makes me think Paranthropus boisei was not a dead end after all.
This is EXACTLY my situation. Dead at task #20.

Risen Malchiah

However, I am mid dwarves... which means that in order to research any new technology requires weeks worth of granite and copper, both of which are being created but will not be created in sufficient quantities before the end of the event. So that is not possible.
I agree that the design of this quest is bad and it appears to be affecting people in Dwarves the most from what I've seen.

I suggest taking this as a sign that you may not be producing enough granite or copper. All too often I see players with a tiny settlement where it takes weeks to research one thing on the tech tree. Since this is the first guest race, I understand the difficulties players have in adjusting to the new design requirements. The devs suggest devoting about 20% of the city to each guest race. I believe some require more than that, while others actually don't take up as much.

May I ask how many mines and foundries you have? I'd suggest a minimum of 10 mines and 6 foundries, though by the end of Dwarves, I had more like 20 mines and 11 foundries (partly because I didn't upgrade them soon enough and just kept making more of them to avoid the cost in upgrading them). To do this, it will require scouring your city for all outdated culture items and eliminating some things. Or taking a look at your factory setup and whether you could reduce them a bit. People tend to have way more factories than they actually need and as the quality of the factories goes up, the number of factories you need goes down over time. This saves a ton of room, both for the factories and the residences and culture to support them.

DeletedUser9601

the design of this quest is bad
I don't see why everyone complains that this is a bad quest design.
If you are on the forums and in Guest Races, then you A. have access to the quest list beforehand, or B. have experienced several other events by now. Even if you want to play "no spoilers" (and I doubt those people are the ones complaining), its not too hard to assume that one of the quests is going to involve completing a tech research. If you aren't able to research a tech in 14 days, I'd contend that your gameplay pace was slow enough that I doubt this is the only quest that blocked your completion of all 32 quests.

shimmerfly

@Tedious
It's not the time that bothers me but it's not even an interesting story line and the tasks are boring. I like instants but why not throw something else in there that is a little more inspiring, exciting? This is just "ho hum".
Lots of good suggestions have been offered,

DeletedUser12257

thought the event was nice as i have just started the game recently ,but now i see it takes you way off the path of actually building my city, and nearly impossible for me to finish .i dont see being able to finish the event to receive the rewards and am feeling a little put off of the game now. i still have not joined a fellowship as i really dont see myself playing much longer.sorry i really like the graphics and the challenge of balance between fighting and building and time, i hope my outlook gets better

Tanis-Wulf

This was a nightmare event for those higher level players whose scout takes 50+ hours to scout a province. For someone at the end of the tech tree like myself even running my scout non-stop, I still could not produce enough free provinces to complete the event. Stuck at #28 :( Not worth spending the diamonds to speed up the scout when buying a magic residence would be cheaper and get me more people than the event prizes offer!! Not very smart of Inno really.

DeletedUser9601

thought the event was nice as i have just started the game recently ,but now i see it takes you way off the path of actually building my city, and nearly impossible for me to finish .i dont see being able to finish the event to receive the rewards and am feeling a little put off of the game now. i still have not joined a fellowship as i really dont see myself playing much longer.sorry i really like the graphics and the challenge of balance between fighting and building and time, i hope my outlook gets better
For what its worth, these shorter events aren't really designed for someone who just started the game. I started during the winter event last year, and couldn't do any of the quests. But by the spring event (3ish months of steady play) I could do a whole lot more. So stick it out, knowing that the first few weeks of playing have a steep learning curve. But once you get into Chapter 3, you can grow, fight, do events, etc. with much more ease.

Risen Malchiah

For this reason:
Events like this are extremely detrimental to players who are not in a fellowship. The inability to access the tournaments for the "gain relics" quests and the lack of trading partners or advice on strategies will pretty much guarantee new and solo players will get driven from the game.

@Tedious I won't quote the whole thing, but I'll point you to my post from the first page of this discussion. I'm truly humbled by the 24 likes it has received thus far.

DeletedUser5800

I finished it in D&S with the only planning ahead being scout going solid from the start (Yes this required knowing what was coming, though there is an argument to be made that by now people should know to keep 4 or 5 provinces unlocked and uncompleted just for these kinds of things), FS member in dwarves finished the fastest (yes she had very well planned her settlement to not get tech locked) and my little one went from chapter 1 to 2 during the event and finished a day after my D&S city without doing anything in the tourney and having only Very Hard provinces thanks to a few good trades from a neighbor.
Bottom Line: It was possible for everyone paying attention and putting in the time. (That will never be everyone).

Risen Malchiah

Wow, I just realized the timing at the end of this event could be really bad for some people. The event still has about 4 and a half days left, but this week's tournament ends tomorrow, which means that anyone who doesn't complete the event in the next 14 hrs could be stuck doing the final "gain relics" quest without the tournament. Those players may have a short 4 hr window on Tuesday to squeeze it in, but anyone who's working, sleeping or at school for those few hours will be out of luck.

DeletedUser188

Wow, I just realized the timing at the end of this event could be really bad for some people. The event still has about 4 and a half days left, but this week's tournament ends tomorrow, which means that anyone who doesn't complete the event in the next 14 hrs could be stuck doing the final "gain relics" quest without the tournament. Those players may have a short 4 hr window on Tuesday to squeeze it in, but anyone who's working, sleeping or at school for those few hours will be out of luck.

This weeks tourney ends in 45 minutes from the time of this post
The timer for the event is at 4 days 4hrs till end of event
That would make the end of the event on Wednesday not Tuesday
So those that still need relics will have a day not only 4 hrs

Tauriel Dragonwood

Thought I would be able to sleep late on Saturday but remembered if I wanted to finish this event, must compete in the Tournament before it closes. Yikes! Five minutes left to go. Whew! I finally finished this event. Solve 17 Encounters then 23, then gain 29 relics are a pain, especially for our troops but you do gain lots of KPs. I'm off to donate them to our Dragon Masters' Ancient Wonders.

Those who live in countries who do this, remember to set your clocks back one hour at 2 AM this Sunday. Yay, I’ll get an extra hour of sleep on Sunday. States that span two time zones are allowed to observe Daylight Saving Time in one of the state's time zones and not in the other. Hmmm? They must be asking one another, “What time is it?”

The sun isn't actually setting any earlier. There is no planetary shift occurring this Sunday. Why humans do this is strange. But humans do and say strange things. You drive on a parkway and park in a driveway.

The WiseGeek has an interesting article entitled Why do We Have Daylight Saving Time?

Enjoy your weekend fellow elves and you humans too.

Tauriel Dragonwood

Did you watch Ted Grau's video?
Thank you for posting Platinum Leaf's Ted Grau's video. I'm a wee bit lost figuring out how Ted used math to determine the best units to take into battle but I will figure it out. I usually take in a variety of units into battle but take the ones that are best fighting a particular enemy. You can find that info out by looking at their attack and defense. Want to sneak up on light-ranged units and make their bones rattle? Take a Cerberus into battle.

Here are a few of my Hints & Tips on Combat.
Place your units in starting positions that work against the enemy starting positions. Here’s an example I've found to be the best formation when defending against a Cerberus, which likes to attack the unit in the middle. Place Golems/Mortars in the first three slots and your Mages (and/or Treants/Paladins) in the last two slots when choosing units for battle. Whoever is placed in the last two slots will be on the outside of your formation (top and bottom positions) on the battlefield.

AUTO BATTLING
It’s so cool to watch when you choose the right units to take into battle. After you click Fight, give the order “Finish Battle Automatically!” Then sit back, watch your troops move on the battlefield by themselves, see how well they've been trained, and if they’re strong enough to fight without your help.
It’s cool to watch, as long as they’re winning.

Be careful hitting auto-battle. Once you press that button you can’t stop the fight, if your troops are being pummeled by the enemy's might.

Try to take out ranged units first. They do damage from afar.
Use your environment to your advantage in battle.
You can enter battle and leave it without any consequences by surrendering. Use it to check the battle terrain!
Never go up against enemy units that outnumber you!

Stop by the forum and sit a spell to read the helpful advice our fellow elves and humans have to tell.

Last edited:

DeletedUser9601

For this reason:

Events like this are extremely detrimental to players who are not in a fellowship. The inability to access the tournaments for the "gain relics" quests and the lack of trading partners or advice on strategies will pretty much guarantee new and solo players will get driven from the game.
2 main counters.
1. You can form your own fellowship to access tournaments.
2. You can know up to 7 days (if not more) beforehand how many provinces you will need to scout.

I acknowledge that events are generally impossible for new players. I don't think that's a problem. I started in the middle of the winter event last year. I think the Major events give newer players the chance at rewards by clicking the dropped items (eggs, acorns, snowflakes). I got to open a few boxes just from the snowflakes I gathered up.

I think it would be very difficult for Inno to create an event that:
1. Challenges both new players (who might have 3-4 workshops and 1 manufactory) and old players (who might have 10 workshops and 7 manufactories).
2. Provides meaningful rewards.
3. Provides some requirements that might result in people NOT finishing the questline.
4. Takes close to the time allotted to complete.

The complaints about quest design (having to clear encounters, especially) hasn't come with any sort of suggestions.

I think the larger issue is that lots of players join the game and are then completely in over their heads. But that's a problem that every reasonably complex game has. I think more new players would have enjoyed this event if an advanced player explained basically that THEY SHOULDN'T participate, because they had no chance of completing, and also the rewards weren't worth it for them. Maybe Inno should push people more towards the forums, or player guides when they sign up?

There's some people on the forum who's attitude (if not their words) indicate that they basically expect a free, awesome building every 2 months from an event. That's just not going to happen.

BambiThumper

2 main counters.
2. You can know up to 7 days (if not more) beforehand how many provinces you will need to scout.

I acknowledge that events are generally impossible for new players. I don't think that's a problem. I started in the middle of the winter event last year. I think the Major events give newer players the chance at rewards by clicking the dropped items (eggs, acorns, snowflakes). I got to open a few boxes just from the snowflakes I gathered up.

I think it would be very difficult for Inno to create an event that:
1. Challenges both new players (who might have 3-4 workshops and 1 manufactory) and old players (who might have 10 workshops and 7 manufactories).
2. Provides meaningful rewards.
3. Provides some requirements that might result in people NOT finishing the questline.
4. Takes close to the time allotted to complete.

The complaints about quest design (having to clear encounters, especially) hasn't come with any sort of suggestions.

I think the larger issue is that lots of players join the game and are then completely in over their heads. But that's a problem that every reasonably complex game has. I think more new players would have enjoyed this event if an advanced player explained basically that THEY SHOULDN'T participate, because they had no chance of completing, and also the rewards weren't worth it for them. Maybe Inno should push people more towards the forums, or player guides when they sign up?

There's some people on the forum who's attitude (if not their words) indicate that they basically expect a free, awesome building every 2 months from an event. That's just not going to happen.

Can you address this for me, possibly? No attitude, just wondering =(

Firstly- have done 25 of the 32 quests

I am now on the quest where I am supposed to solve 17 encounters. It is impossible
. a) I do not have orcs to negotiate with and I do not have the troops to fight with to complete a province. I also would prefer not to fight.
I have wasted all this time, building extra workshops, manufactories, and now I cannot complete it?
You tell me how and I will gladly follow your advice, but I see no other choice but to abandon the whole thing and I am not happy with that at all.
Additionally, I have to use a lot of material for tourneys (which I also needed to do the quest and therefore do not have even regular amounts of production as normal.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I am now on the quest where I am supposed to solve 17 encounters. It is impossible
. a) I do not have orcs to negotiate with and I do not have the troops to fight with to complete a province. I also would prefer not to fight.
On the other hand, if you are at the point where you need orcs to negotiate before reaching chapter 8, then you have cleared 62 more provinces than expected.
This means you will have gained 7 expansions more than players who did not clear extra provinces. So even if you are stuck and unable to clear encounters for an event like halloween, the prizes you are missing out on are nowhere near as good as having 11% more space.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I do not have the troops to fight with to complete a province. I also would prefer not to fight.

to me, this does not sound like something you can blame Inno for
"I do not have troops" That is easily solved. Train some
"I prefer not to fight" That is your choice. But no one has taken that option away from you. It is YOUR preference.

DeletedUser8187

2 main counters.

I was just going to post that. I started playing this spring, and when I discovered the benefits to an F/S I applied to countless groups I didn't get a single response. So I made my own and chugged along. About a month ago I got an invite to join an f/s and life is so much easier.

My advice make your own f/s but keep looking for f/s that have some members in your point range and apply even if they are full. Theres a good chance they may have inactive players and will accept you.

DeletedUser12941

I have not cared for the art on this event. The prizes look like bleak gray horror scenes. I wish I could delete Crash's heavy-jawed face from my screen. He makes me think Paranthropus boisei was not a dead end after all.

I know this is late in the event (just a teeny bit lol! ;) ) but I totally agree with this. I'd rather have gotten something like the stacked pumpkins given last Halloween.
Very apt description of Crash! :D And personally the skull thing with the timer scroll creeped me out, especially with the pentagram...I didn't really do this event just so I could ignore that, plus as I said before I wasn't interested in the prizes. :eek: