• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

This is nuts!!

DeletedUser8187

@Goldenberry I find this site helpful for picking troops: https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/
Under their 'tournaments' tab each province is described in detail (with pictures!) regarding the types of troops you will face and the troop combinations likely to produce the best results with the fewest losses. I keep that page open for reference along with Mykan's battle guide. Since I use Chrome, it does cause me to have to resize the browser frequently due to the game freezing intermittently when going back and forth on other tabs.

I do keep the guide open on another tab, always check before each fight. But lately my enemies haven't been matching up with the guides very well. I prefer gems to do the strategizing for me. I would still be losing 90% of fights without them. I'm thankful for all the work they have done to make the game easier for the rest of us.

DeletedUser9307

All these guides people have put out to try and help to win a battle is wonderful. But you have to be a rocket Scientist to figure them out! Playing a game shouldn't be this hard! I haven't one a battle since they changed everything. AND I MEAN NOT ONE. This is nuts!! Ya shouldn't need a collage degree to figure out a battle. My game has been at a complete stand still for months. Maybe I'll find another game, ,,something fun.
Yes, the battles are unwinnable at the top tier ("very Hard"). They should be labeled "Impossible". The only way out is diamonds. I understand you need to be paid for your time and work in building the software, but the niche of where the $$ comes from can be very small (small games die) or you can spread it out, make it a bit cheaper to buy (Big games get bigger). I know - I have a gaming business, a very successful one. Don't price yourself out of reach. And the top battle tier should be the current medium. Medium takes quite a bit of skill. When you put TOP gamers with TOP skills in charge of deciding difficulty levels, they are writing for THEM. They are writing for THEIR level. It would behoove you to put a few novices or medium level players on your payroll so you can keep your finger of the maximum pulse of the community. Our FS has several novices in it. We have to help them get their first AW. It's not enough that you just mention them in a quest, you must make them a part of the quest, teach them how to build them! People learn from DOING, for the most part. Make them do it, to learn it. Use arrows to show them what to click, where to place, etc.. Probably some of your experts are going "Whaaaat? That's demeaning!" Uh, no. Most players are looking for entertainment (and don't mind spending a bit on it). you should not be trying to define what entertainment means to your customer base. Meaning, people learn better from succeeding at a moderate to normal rate. You don't have that, right now. Lighten up.

DeletedUser8532

It also seems to me "combat" is hugely slanted towards the game. I'm fine with "catering" but I would like to "play" the "battle" option more often except for the following issues.

1. The "game" typically gets the initiative
2. The layout of the province is also typically laid out to favor the disposition of "game" forces
3. The initial placement of my troops in the battle view always places my troops in the most awkward position preventing initial movements for strategic placement and I have not been able to figure out any logic between the selection of troops in the "fight" menu that translates to initial positioning in the battle view.
4. When I "shortcut' by clicking my 'enemy' target it seems the game automatically always moves my troops to the most disadvantageous physical position blocking my other troops or allowing range units to 'escape' my blocking troops.
5. It appears the game typically has an advantage in "damage" and "hits"
6. I am always facing troops that are "hard" or "very hard" <- is this it for the rest of the game, I will always be at the disadvantage?
7. Often the game is missing the 'lines' defining the movement hexagonals or my troops are invisible in the battle view

Perhaps I need to understand the "finer" points of "combat" but it seems pretty straight forward - and if there are subtleties I'm missing - why is it so complicated? If the 'battle' option is discouraged by making it grossly weighted in favor of the game, then why include it?

Perhaps I should work on understanding my troop preparation better, but again - in the game flow, acquiring the "assets (buildings & foreign troops)" to "power up" my troops seems like I will be in a lag time and constantly "catching up" making me the "designated" loser by default. Again, I'm a newer player so perhaps there are subtleties in developing my armies or perhaps there is a game flow where you go through a growth phase before catching up - I don't know, guess i'll find out.
I've also been noticing lately my troops are NOT being set up in the order I place them according to the 34251 setup outlined on the wikipage, and is often set up at 12345 which has always made the most sense to be, but when in Rome, right? Only Rome is supposed to stay Rome, and not become Florence without notice. I also agree with the points on the provinces always being either hard or very hard, regardless how many troops I train, how advanced my armories and assorted training facilities, and they keep upgrading my soldiers, but you sure can't tell with the firepower they give the enemy. Now, even the tournaments are becoming cost prohibitive. I should be able to sail through every first province up to the 4th journey through, this last tourney, I was getting my butt kicked by the level 2 first province, and that's just not right folks. I use all the Elvenar resources to plan, build, fight, barter, everything, so this is happening to me, I can only imagine what is happening to players who don't use things like Gems of Elvenar, and I personally think it goes a long way in explaining why so many dropouts. Just my .02

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I also agree with the points on the provinces always being either hard or very hard, regardless how many troops I train, how advanced my armories and assorted training facilities, and they keep upgrading my soldiers, but you sure can't tell with the firepower they give the enemy. Now, even the tournaments are becoming cost prohibitive. I should be able to sail through every first province up to the 4th journey through, this last tourney, I was getting my butt kicked by the level 2 first province, and that's just not right folks. I use all the Elvenar resources to plan, build, fight, barter, everything, so this is happening to me, I can only imagine what is happening to players who don't use things like Gems of Elvenar, and I personally think it goes a long way in explaining why so many dropouts. Just my .02

What chapter are you in and how much have you scouted? That has a very direct influence on province difficulty
As to your armories, troop training and other military facilities these will have zero impact on the difficulty of a province. That is determined primarily by squad size which comes from your research and your scouting strategy

The most recent tournament, scrolls, is one of the hardest in the game so it is normal to be suffering losses much earlier than other tournaments.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
and they keep upgrading my soldiers
Completing all available squad size upgrade techs will cause the battles in world map exploration to become very easy. It will cause tournament battles to become harder AND increases catering costs! Yes, that seems somewhat backwards, but it's the way it works now. There's a fairly recent discussion about how this impacts battles starting at post #5 in this thread https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/squad-upgrades.14158/#post-79968

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Just a point of clarification here: larger squad sizes do not increase the difficulty of fights in the tournament, just the losses.
A 100 vs 100 fight is the same difficulty as a 200 vs 200 fight, but your losses will be about double.
That's only superficially true. And only if larger squad sizes don't increase the likelihood of them being broken into more groups, which decreases the chance of taking out anyone with a debuff before they have a chance to hit you.

Among other things, larger squad sizes move the results closer to average, which has very little effect on the auto-fighter, but a greater effect on the manual fighter. The differences are small, but not zero.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
which has very little effect on the auto-fighter, but a greater effect on the manual fighter.
aint.jpg

DeletedUser9551

ive been playing this game for a bit over a year, at the beginning, fight were won fairly easy, but for the last 6-9month, battle, even with very easy setting are often coming with losses, or defeat, whoich make no sense, i have 5 armories , average level isabout level 12 , helping me build fairly large troop, but in battle, weither i scout/fight in province or in turney, even with advance troops (i have not yet figured out how to use orcs troops) , my battle keep being increasingly difficult to win, and in turney, i rarely go beyond level 1, as level 2 seem pack with largely superior troops and quantity, making those fight impossible to win.. with an average of 10 turney provinces to clear, i just cant produce enough troops to win, let alone get to complete all stages.. i m a free player, i invest to get builder and a few diamond items, but now, i wonder if i reach my limit as a player.

either fight simulation get rethoughted, or i may well give up on this nice and fun game,

Mykan

Oh Wise One
@Rop1964 The armories will only help with producing troops not combat ability. You sound like you have progressed to reasonable province fight difficulty which should mean your past the issues people in the early chapters face.

You mentioned you are struggling with the 1:1 (balanced) fights in tournaments (round 2). It can be a bit daunting to learn the battle system, have you read some of the player guides on what to use? The in-game information is reasonable but can be misleading as it shows highlight enemies your units are neutral to as well as good against so it can mislead you to not using the best units.

Try to read some guide or post on the forum under battle help if your unsure what combinations to use. There are plenty of people who would be able to help you with advice.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
The armories will only help with producing troops not combat ability.

This needs to be repeated as often as possible.
I'm sure it isn't even the first time it has been said in this thread.

I see it over and over again. People say, "I've built a thousand armories and I still lose."

They do not make your fighters healthier or more proficient.

They do not affect the size of your squads in battle.

All they do is allow you to Train more troops at a time.

Please everyone, take note.

DeletedUser9551

This needs to be repeated as often as possible.
I'm sure it isn't even the first time it has been said in this thread.

I see it over and over again. People say, "I've built a thousand armories and I still lose."

They do not make your fighters healthier or more proficient.

They do not affect the size of your squads in battle.

All they do is allow you to Train more troops at a time.

Please everyone, take note.

i understand that armories only help produce units, but when face with armies in the hundreads if not thousands, you need to produce troop to fight that many.. i recently fought to clear a province (marble) , i negociate 3 of the 8, and fouht the other 5 area, lost half of my mage units (6 out of 12 squads) in a medium fight level, which will take me about a day to replenish. God thanks it was not a hard or very hard fight, as most of my ennemy units were heavy range/heavy fighting unit (about 300 per squad) , to me it is obvious that the battle system need to be retwinked, as fights are getting harder and harder to win...

DeletedUser17035

You and 75% of the rest of us are out numbered. Mykan say's we can supply the Dev's with this info about getting our butt's kicked. But I have no clue how to do that, properly anyway. But they should never have messed this part of the game up,,to begin with!
I'm in the same situation. My barracks is stuck at 6 (still researching) but I have over a dozen level 4 Armories. But, every time I go into battle, my squad size is only 36(!), yet I'm facing squads of 96+ (!!). There's no way to beat that! And, to make matters worse for us, in order to advance your city, you need more territory, but to get it, you have to beat the throngs of baddies in each zone you scout. All the zones near me are now 'Very Hard' (More like impossible), so I'm at a stand still.
If the devs want us to remain interested, they need to trim back these NPC armies, scale them to be a challenge for us, not a slaughter. (OUR Slaughter!)

Or...

With my OTHER city, I scrapped everything except the Barracks, and went full economic (Extra steel, planks, rock and workshops). Since the other cities can't attack me (Unlike in Evony), and the NPC's never leave their little territories, why even have a military to begin with? Far, far easier to negotiate for what I need, then try to fight for it.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I'm in the same situation. My barracks is stuck at 6 (still researching) but I have over a dozen level 4 Armories. But, every time I go into battle, my squad size is only 36(!), yet I'm facing squads of 96+ (!!). There's no way to beat that! And, to make matters worse for us, in order to advance your city, you need more territory, but to get it, you have to beat the throngs of baddies in each zone you scout. All the zones near me are now 'Very Hard' (More like impossible), so I'm at a stand still.
If the devs want us to remain interested, they need to trim back these NPC armies, scale them to be a challenge for us, not a slaughter. (OUR Slaughter!)

By the sound of your squad size I would assume you are in chapter 2-4 somewhere. If you are and your provinces completed/scouted is within/close to the required number for the next chest Please Please and Pretty Please submit a ticket to support. This is a known issue to players but not recognised by the devs, after 12 months of pushing this it is clear it won't change unless they see it is an issue which will only happen with tickets to support (I hope). Support can't help you but they need to see clearly how big an issue this is.

On a positive note the pain subsides around chapter 4/5 depending on whether you did the optional squad sizes (takes longer if you skipped them). Around there the fights should be closer to medium and they only get easier and easier as the game progresses. By later chapters if you stay around the chest count (a little above is fine) you will find most provinces are blue or green (easy and very easy).

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I'm in the same situation. My barracks is stuck at 6 (still researching) but I have over a dozen level 4 Armories. But, every time I go into battle, my squad size is only 36(!)

Just to be clear, because by your wording I'm not sure you understand, armories have no influence on battle. All armories do is increase the number of units you can train at one time.