• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Fair Trading & Fellowships

Deleted User - 312108

Out of curiosity -
How do folks handle fellowship members who aren't posting fair trades? And what are your thoughts when you see unbalanced trades such as basic to crafted at a 1:1 ratio?

Thanks for the input.

DeletedUser594

From a fellowship member? I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't understand the trade policy and how/why it works. I explain that we are fair trade. Then I explain how fair trade works and the reasoning behind the system and how the costs are calculated since the trades can sound completely unfair if they don't look at the costs. Then I recommend just using the trade calculator offered in-game and make 2 star trades but I also explain the tier ratios, types of goods etc and ask them to adjust their trades. If it's an issue after 2 conversations then I figure they might be happier playing with a group that suits their style of play better. That's my nice way of saying what xavier said more succinctly- you kick them out.

Deleted User - 312108

Yes, I've been trying to educate them with the ratios and a link to the wikia's trade page. Some are very active and good about visits, but I also understand that having members posting unbalanced trades makes the Fellowship look bad and may limit how others wish to trade with us.

DeletedUser511

From a fellowship member? I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they didn't understand the trade policy and how/why it works. I explain that we are fair trade. Then I explain how fair trade works and the reasoning behind the system and how the costs are calculated since the trades can sound completely unfair if they don't look at the costs. Then I recommend just using the trade calculator offered in-game and make 2 star trades but I also explain the tier ratios, types of goods etc and ask them to adjust their trades. If it's an issue after 2 conversations then I figure they might be happier playing with a group that suits their style of play better. That's my nice way of saying what xavier said more succinctly- you kick them out.

Yeah its hard for me to dance around a point.

DeletedUser61

The advantage of using Like Value trades is that it makes the guild market place more fluid, because folks can clear everything that they can cover without concern for the overall value of their inventory.

On the other hand, the trades ARE rated using the Stars system, so it's not like you're going to sneak something by the noobs, so I'm not very concerned about folks who are trying to dump goods and/or make a bit of a profit.

Deleted User - 312108

Yes, I don't find it of major concern other than I'd like to filter them out so I don't have to see them, but I have been leaning toward sending folks information about how the trade system works and displays fair trades rather than immediately booting them.

Has there been a good definition of fair trades posted? I did do a search, but did not see anything on this forum, but probably should look on the beta forum as well.

DeletedUser1122

The fellowship is only as strong as the weakest...bah bah.
One star traders are not part of the fellowship. They are Dons. U can:
1. Don't take the trades.
2. Don't visit one star traders.
3. KICK THEM OUT. U have not seen ugly until the eye gouging starts with ancient wonders.
U either have a fellowship helping each other before u get to AW cause u sure won't become one when the rune shards hit the fan.
While I offer one star trade acceptance to our bottom 3 "leg up trading" we all trade 2 star or 3 star. 3 star means "need now to take next advancement".

"The star-rating system is a fairly accurate judge of the value-comparison between goods.
In general, 2-3 stars are "acceptable" for most people. 1 star is a poor trade, 4 is excellent.
Even so, trading at the wholesaler is more expensive than even the worst trade possible (5:1 vs. 4:1) so players have the flexibility to negotiate their own trades all while remaining comparably "good" "
Good luck

DeletedUser594

If it's someone I think just doesn't have the gist of it yet I'll send a message like this: I'm pretty sure i've done this a few dozen times at least and really only had a small handful that eventually had to go. Here's my answer-- you will notice the escape hatch I clearly and plainly point out before going full bore(dom).
I noticed your trades for such and such. We are a fair trade guild and what that means is we structure trades with cost factored in so that each member comes out of the trade with an equivalent value of goods with neither profit nor loss.
---Now the quick answer if you want to get straight to it and don't want to hear my blather is to use the trade calculator built into the trading system--2 stars and you're all good and you don't need the rest of this unless you want to read it.
The longer answer...
You might have noticed that some trades look very lopsided. That's bcs there are really three categories or "tiers" of goods and each tier has different costs involved to produce those goods.
Tier 1 (Basic)goods include (steel, y,z)....Tier2.(Crafted) and these cost 4x as much as basic in coin/supply.... ...Tier 3Magical include..(.yadda) and cost 4x as much as crafted.....
Trades that stay within a tier have the same costs and therefore trade 1:1 (give example steel for planks)
but when going up a tier, since costs rise 4x to produce, then a fair trade would be 4x as many lower tier goods...,,,(examples).......diagram:
(T1)Basic <------1:1------->(T1)Basic-<----4:1----->(T2)crafted.
(T2)crafted<----4:1----->(T3)Magical<-------1:1------>(T3)Magical
magical<------1:16---//---->basic(avoid if possible)
400steel=400plank=400marble..=..100silk=100scroll=100crys
When trading up and down tiers we ask members to try stick to one tier up or down: basic<-->crafted or crafted<--->magical. Two tier jumps happen from time to time but we would like for them not to be a regular part of our trade system as they have led to imbalances in production and trade for us.
If you have any questions.....blah blah...you can always just look to the trader for 2 stars
Thanks for taking the time and ......

Go with 6pacs answer. short and sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 107391

Go with 6pacs answer. short and sweet.
The fellowship is only as strong as the weakest...blah blah.
One star traders are not part of the fellowship. They are Dons. U can:
1. Don't take the trades.
2. Don't visit one star traders.
3. KICK THEM OUT.

We haven't really had a problem in our fellowship. On the few occasions the issue has arisen, a simple explanation has been enough. Occasionally, I will suggest an unbalanced trade to lower tier members just to help them out, since they need so little compared to my production.

Outside traders, who have to pay the penalty, are acceptable to me when they offer 'rare' goods, which we have difficulty producing within the fellowship. Our members with planks boosts, for instance, are still in the lower tiers. So I will eagerly exchange my steel for fewer planks. I consider these valuable neighbors.

Yes, I don't find it of major concern other than I'd like to filter them out so I don't have to see them, ...

This is a thorn in my side. A neighbor posted about 70 trades of 40 planks for 160 steel. Obviously, no one is going to take him up on those. They take up pages and pages of trades, and they've been there at least since October. I recently asked him to delete them but he is either ignoring me or he's away.

I suppose if you really wanted to irritate someone, this would be a way to do it.

U have not seen ugly until the eye gouging starts with ancient wonders.
U either have a fellowship helping each other before u get to AW cause u sure won't become one when the rune shards hit the fan.

Totally agree.

Deleted User - 312108

For my folks, we're mostly in tier 1 and 2 goods, just starting for tier 3 so, I think it's mostly educational at the moment. Thank you all for the better definitions on fair trading as it helps.

DeletedUser594

. A neighbor posted about 70 trades of 40 planks for 160 steel. Obviously, no one is going to take him up on those. They take up pages and pages of trades, and they've been there at least since October. I recently asked him to delete them but he is either ignoring me or he's away.

I suppose if you really wanted to irritate someone, this would be a way to do it.

This is a big annoyance for me as well, and one reason to have a fair trade policy in house, even though that doesn't help with neighbors. Opening the trader and seeing page after page of unbalanced trades trying to fish out someone desperate or unknowing is an annoyance and a nuisance. I've picked up quite a few of those accidentally when trying to close a series of trades listed nearby. Unafair trades, or "fair" trades that offer 100:1600 are like dog droppings on a field. I try to avoid them but once in a while..,doh..,stepped in it again.

DeletedUser61

They take up pages and pages of trades, and they've been there at least since October.
Run this one down. It may be a bug that got loose again. Per https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/release-notes-version-0-21.655/
  • Trades now expire after 7 days, if they are not accepted before that and will be returned to your inventory - the time left until expiration is displayed in the tooltip of the 'Accept' button
Oddly enough, the same tooltip was not implemented for your OWN trades.

Valtitude

The fellowship is only as strong as the weakest...bah bah.
One star traders are not part of the fellowship. They are Dons.
I like this, Dons. I luv anything that makes me laugh, but this is terrific! I take a couple of 1-star trades from an undiscovered neighbor now and then - usually because I'm scouting my way toward their city ... an introduction, of sorts.

Deleted User - 107391