• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
As was evidenced by the person with 1896 squad size in chapter 10 with a level 8 barracks, many players were caught off-guard by this, and a switch to chapter based would not have disfavored them.
My fault, she was a bad example. I think that a player who doesn't upgrade their barracks and takes all SS techs is making a mistake.
So forgetting that odd example, we do know that there are players who don't like fighting at all, and it is reasonable to assume that some were smart and skipped SS techs. Those players would be hurt by chapter based training quests.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I probably should have included the full sentence.

As was evidenced by the person with 1896 squad size in chapter 10 with a level 8 barracks, many players were caught off-guard by this, and a switch to chapter based would not have disfavored them.
For any general statement there are specific instances which do not fit. The existence of some people who have no interest in fighting but who still take all the techs does not, in any way, change the general nature of a large sub-group of players, who are not interested in fighting, don't take those techs, and don't have the ability to make lots of troops quickly.

My being a socially-liberal-fiscal-conservative in no way makes all social liberals fiscally-conservative.

Pheryll

Set Designer
For any general statement there are specific instances which do not fit.

True, but one would often refrain from making statements about a large group if the statements applied only to a small subset of the group. This is where the claim I think you are making does not hold up. From my experience, most people have maxed their squad size even if it was not intuitive to do so. Those who have bragged about not doing so have all been oriented toward fighting in tournaments. Of course a real analysis with data beyond my own experiences would be needed to make any general conclusion.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
True, but one would often refrain from making statements about a large group if the statements applied only to a small subset of the group.
I don't disagree with that line, but I don't think it's true that people who haven't taken all the techs in question are a small subset
Of course a real analysis with data beyond my own experiences would be needed to make any general conclusion.
Yes. for both of our conclusions.

And at the end of all of that, it is completely inconsequential. Because (If I may repeat myself, yet again) it doesn't matter if they have the techs or not, chapter is not a good indicator of ability to make troops quickly, nor, in any way, an indicator of whether those troops will be of any use to the player. We might as well go back to the FS adventure and say "Throw a large number of supplies in the toilet" instead

Last edited:

Pheryll

Set Designer
If there is an OR option for production of goods instead, then I will maintain chapter based troop production is much better than squad size based troop production requirements for a quest.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
If there is an OR option for production of goods instead, then I will maintain chapter based troop production is much better than squad size based troop production requirements for a quest.
As a hybrid player who skipped almost all optional techs, but runs very low goods production I'd be hurt by this change, but I finished the event in 6 hours without using diamonds or instants, so I'm sure I'd survive.
Skipping techs is so much better right now that I don't mind getting a penalty for doing so. Of course I'd rather have them fix the system and make getting SS techs advantageous. I'd love it if I could turn all of my "medium" provinces to "very easy" if it didn't permanently increase my tournament costs by 40%.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Yes. (In case my comment about you agreeing with Soggy was unclear, I agree)

Ganid

I love these types of events - I just wish that the tournaments and adventures did not overlap. This adventure seems manageable. It would be nice to get more space as a reward for some of these
Hey there, and you will find that a tournament overlaying an adventure will be a huge blessing once you get to the level where tournaments are really doable. For example, a quest requiring seven relics can be achieved in seconds if you have a tournament to use. Be patient....

HJK84

Haha I thought the same thing. I hope the little demon familiar makes a comeback in future events. Or guest race. ;)

Indeed! The proper name for such a creature is, Imp or Imp Devil :eek:
Taken from D&D. When I saw it, I was giddy, recalling once where I was surround by 6-8 Imps, had to talk my way out :p

f6852fee64f84b73dbd77d3dae0f76fb.png

DeletedUser

I just thought the little red daemon character was really cute...:oops:

He is cute, but the issue is that there are players who, regardless of the fact that this is a fantasy game, take great issue with the notion of devils and demons. I went a couple of rounds with one on Beta when this started. There were players who allegedly quit (or at least were deeply offended) when we had the Army of Darkness-inspired QLE because they couldn't tolerate the Haunted Windmill...imagine what would happen if we actually had a chapter devoted to them. :eek: :p

I personally would have to have a city frozen at that chapter, I think. :D But not everyone would be thrilled with it.

DeletedUser2768

I thought this would be a cake walk, until I got to the recruit quests. Now I'm not sure I'll finish in time.

DeletedUser10182

Not being forced to buy KP is a great improvement. Briefly doubling the production of factories was unexpected, but an interesting twist to play. Overall, a much more enjoyable Quest Event than some other recent ones.

DeletedUser3468

I'm having fun with this event. Like several have posted, I found the recruit quests a bit of a problem in a few of my cities. Some of my cities had no problems at all with them though so it worked out. I'm just a few quests further behind in the slow cities. I need to get with it and speed up my production of fighters anyway since I've discovered that I actually like being able to do at least the first half of the tourney provinces by fighting and winning. I so often have an overflow of supplies (not to mention cities where I have literally hundreds - over 300 in one city - of PoP spells just sitting in storage if I do run short on supplies!) and it saves so much where goods are concerned! :D
I've enjoyed the "either/or" aspects of this one too... buy kp or use kp, obtain a spell or use a spell. Much easier to deal with! I also was very happy that the "gain x amount population or culture" quests came shortly after receiving prizes that would give enough culture, even in chaper 4, to meet the requirements of the quest. I just held on to my silver unicorn and my codex and stuck them in my city when I got to the "population or culture" quests and 10 seconds later, the quest was done! A very nice touch if it was deliberately done that way. :p

The Unbeliever

He is cute, but the issue is that there are players who, regardless of the fact that this is a fantasy game, take great issue with the notion of devils and demons. I went a couple of rounds with one on Beta when this started. There were players who allegedly quit (or at least were deeply offended) when we had the Army of Darkness-inspired QLE because they couldn't tolerate the Haunted Windmill...imagine what would happen if we actually had a chapter devoted to them. :eek: :p

I personally would have to have a city frozen at that chapter, I think. :D But not everyone would be thrilled with it.
Meh, who cares about the perpetually offended anyways? ;)

But if we really want to play that game then...
Personally, I'm offended by the Halflings chapter! They're so short, and serve as a constant reminder of how short I am and how unfair it is that I have to crane my neck all the time just look someone at eye-level!
They should be Squated now they're so offensive to me! :p

See, everything is highly offensive to at least a small group of people. (pun maybe intended?!)

DeletedUser

Meh, who cares about the perpetually offended anyways? ;)

But if we really want to play that game then...
Personally, I'm offended by the Halflings chapter! They're so short, and serve as a constant reminder of how short I am and how unfair it is that I have to crane my neck all the time just look someone at eye-level!
They should be Squated now they're so offensive to me! :p

See, everything is highly offensive to at least a small group of people. (pun maybe intended?!)

You're so cute. ;)