• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Info about relic battles for nubes

DeletedUser16555

In my short experience with this game it seems that no one has touched on the topic of matching your troops to the enemy combatants. Whether it be locally for relics, or for the really good stuff offered in the realm of tournaments. I myself have been beating back the hordes of defenders of the relics I need to get ahead in the game. I have done this by matching my troops abilities to the weakness of the enemy combatants. Players should know that you can't put paladins against paladins. In the upper right corner of the box containing the troop is a small blue I symbol, that's the information que for each of the troops. Each type of troop has two types of enemies that it is capable of subduing. Too often I see players facing the same combatants against each other and they wonder why they lost. It's because you put two alike combatants together. The best example of what to do is Mages vs Cerberus, Cerberus will win out most of the time, come on he is a hungry dog for god's sakes.

DeletedUser12171

All this info and more are available in several guides and threads in the "Battle Help" section of these forums

DeletedUser16555

After reading the "Battle help guide " realized that even players that are well above me are committing the same mistakes that the new players in my fellowship are, I was floored. Thought it might need to be put back out on the floor. Come on I have a fellowship member that is six places above me as Arcamage and they have no idea how to battle.

DeletedUser16555

Besides most of the information in the Battle help guide has to do with battling in the tournaments, not day to day getting ahead.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
After reading the "Battle help guide " realized that even players that are well above me are committing the same mistakes that the new players in my fellowship are, I was floored.

I think part of the problem is that the combat in provinces at the start of the game is broken, sadly Inno doesn't see it this way, so many players just negotiate in the province and never really learn how to combat. They just say it is too hard or difficult so they ignore it mostly.

DeletedUser551

I moved your thread to the appropriate section of the forum.

DeletedUser9601

I agree with the sentiment of this thread. I've been in a few fellowships, and in each one, there were dozens of players who sought out Elvenar because "they don't like fighting games." If you don't have any fighting game experience, the combat mechanics aren't super-obvious. And if you haven't got that experience, it can be a steep learning curve (as @Mykan notes), so many people just decide to ignore fighting forever.

On the other hand, if you have even a few combat games under your belt (or are used to RPGs/RTSs), you'll feel like the combat is absurdly simple and gets pretty boring. Like, at this point, I really wish there was a feature to say "auto-fight all 4 fights in this tourney province with 5x Golems."

Its really too bad that early fighting is so challenging and punishing, because its a real advantage later in the game to have comfort fighting and auto-fighting. Its so much less expensive compared to catering.

DeletedUser16555

I agree with Tedious, about the early fighting, but I disagree with Mykan, that the game is broken. I think that there needs to be a little more guidance in the early stages to prepare players who opt to have a military presence.
I am sure that there are many players who opt out of the whole military scene altogether, because they have been burned by other games that forced them into bad military situations and I don't blame them for it.
Now for those of us who enjoy a little fight with our frosted flakes, I feel we should get a little more guidance before we dig in.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I disagree with Mykan, that the game is broken. I think that there needs to be a little more guidance in the early stages to prepare players who opt to have a military presence.

In regard to broken I am referring specifically to the provincial maps in chapters 2-4. If you start a town and use optimal scouting and only do the minimum provinces you are facing very hard combat fights in chapter 2 and only start to get easier fights around chapters 4/5 (depending on what techs you skipped). There are countless posts on the forums from users in those chapters confused as to why they have very hard fights. Fights in the scale that experienced players are not expected to win them, let alone someone learning the game.

As Tedious mentioned the combat is really very basic. There is several locations with guides, including in-game material, to help a person get started. Although if someone has a different way of presenting the information it is always welcome.;)

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I am referring specifically to the provincial maps in chapters 2-4.
I can verify this is the case. I started playing in March 2017 with zero combat game experience and didn't even train troops for the first few chapters.
I recently started my 2nd city and am nearing the end of Ch 2 (1.5 techs before the Ch 3 chest). I still have 2 provinces to complete to be able to open the Ch 3 chest. Those 2 provinces just turned to Medium (from Very Hard) after I took the last mandatory squad size upgrade. They have been Very Hard for it seems like forever now. I can win some of those fights, but it's been about a year since I started learning the combat system. I have primarily used manual fighting for all tournaments as far as able and haven't catered a map province in 6 months. That's a lot of battle practice, trial and error. As a new player, it would never occur to me I could take in 5 archers against 2 Orc Warriors with a squad size 6 times my own and win with zero losses. A year ago, I would have laughed at anyone who said that was doable.
I would put in a formal support ticket to bolster support for this issue, but I'm already skipping squad size upgrade techs when I can. I'm building this city to be even better than my E world city at tournaments, FA's and events, so that's the best choice for me. But I'm sure if they look they'll come back with 'you need to increase your squad size with available techs'. And it'd be hard to explain when I am manually fighting and winning a good deal of the time anyway. I just know when to try it and when to just cater and move on. Truly new players don't know any of this.

DeletedUser16555

Agreed Sami, I personally do not skip any tech's, I always play out the tech storyline, and I have found that not over scouting also helps, slow and steady wins the race. Have recently started to aggressively train troops and upgrade armories and barracks. My last squad size upgrade pushed my squad size to 144 now my troops out number the enemy combatants for most of the relic battles that are required to finish level 4, and move to level 5. Only have to finish off three more provinces to move to level 5.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
it would never occur to me I could take in 5 archers against 2 Orc Warriors with a squad size 6 times my own and win with zero losses.
You should have been here before the big battle redesign. Mages had 70% defence buff, and a spell that added 30% (or something like that) making them invincible as long as you tagged every enemy unit. Running archers around the map was normal, and trees had 100% damage resist against everything in crystal provinces too. Totally broken system, but man was it fun.

DeletedUser16555

Hey Soggy, I really enjoy the little pearls of wisdom that rain down on us the unwashed hordes who would really like to be able to play and win a few battles now and again. You have just made my point for me about making relic battles easier for the noobs, well done.

DeletedUser6892

Interesting comments! When I started playing the impression I had was choice of being more of a trader or more military. I am(was/depends on game) a player who does not like the combat games, esp against other players. Just me!

Well, there have been many changes in the game since late fall of 2016 & early 2017 I joined fellowships in the 2 worlds I play. I was lucky to have wonderful fellow members who asked why I didn't fight; & explained how things worked, where to find info, and guided me to do enough to benefit me without major difficulty! Have also found that even the minimum of military is helpful to my game & growth & love the tourneys!

I had overscouted so haven't won many battles in provinces, & am waiting to let myself catch up before trying to do these right now. BUT in the mean time I do the tourneys every week, only auto-play, & (until recently) would check the websites that let you know enemies, best troops to use, & goods that may be needed for that weeks tourney! These help a lot along with tips & other help info! I feel though much improvement is still needed, I have learned & improved since I first began doing the 'troops' and that when ready I will be able to fight more in the clearing of provinces, too!

Learning that a good mix of all the things involved in the game is helpful. Mykan's Guide is a great resource, Gems of Knowledge, CrazyWizard if still around, & members of your fellowship -- these are just a few! I don't remember the difficulty of fighting in the beginning because I pretty much just catered back then. But I understand the difficulty & am so glad those members were so patient with me so that I got through the difficulties/problems understanding how to/etc..can be hard at any time & still is. There is more to learn, too, so I just take it in bits & pieces, experiment when time, and just keep trying!

Thank you for this thread, fighting is not the easiest area for me still but a good part of the game to know. I also think it's not just hard for the 'noobs' but can be for anyone at any point in the game depending on how they played, learned, & more! (I still want to learn how to manually do battles--in the future!)

Have fun & keep smilin! =)

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
You have just made my point for me about making relic battles easier for the noobs, well done.
I'm not sure how I did that, I just mentioned how broken the system used to be in the other direction.
I do agree that fighting in chapters 2-4 is now harder than it should be. Like samidodamage, I tested it out with a new city, fighting smart and staying at the minimum provinces to open chapters, and found there was a very significant difficulty increase in those chapters that should be smoothed out. Some of our observations led to a change where new players are now gifted a few stacks of Treants/Paladins, which helped, but wasn't enough.

Last edited: