• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Create a "Null" Zone for buildings to allow easier redesign of city.

DeletedUser17785

One of the most annoying things is not being able to move buildings easily. I get that Inno needs to make money and wants players to purchase expansions, but that can get VERY expensive VERY quickly. Why not have a "null" area where buildings can be removed to (and rendered inactive) to allow the player to easily redesign the city as it grows? Even when you have some extra space, it can be a very complex puzzle to move everything around. For me, this would not only make the game more enjoyable, it would probably lead me to actually spending more since I am not so annoyed with just trying to make the city look how I want.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
it can be a very complex puzzle to move everything around.
This "sliding puzzle" is an intentional part of the game. Some like it and some don't.
sliding puzzle combo.png

Storage pod aka "null area"

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Even when you have some extra space, it can be a very complex puzzle to move everything around.
Have you tried the City Planner on this site: www.elvenarchitect.com ? It's a great way to figure it out before trying to do it in your city.
You can find yourself on this site: www.elvenstats.com and there's a link to upload your city in its current configuration to ElvenArchitect so you don't have to start from scratch in City Planner. Make sure to check how long it's been since your city has been updated. There's a tiny blue 'arrows in a circle' thingy in the link you can click to update it to your current city.

DeletedUser17785

I guess my point is that this is a game. I like to play as a way to escape from the hassles of real life. Having to figure out the "sliding puzzle" is a major hassle. I am getting to the point where I will need to restructure, and, quite honestly, dread the idea of how much time it will take and how tedious it is. If there was a "null" space available (and not everyone would HAVE to use it), I would be able to quickly, easily, and, most importantly, enjoyably reorganize my city, and, since I am having more fun, be much more likely to cough up real money to buy more expansions. As it stands now, I will likely just leave everything at their current levels and just go stagnant, eventually I will simply stop playing because it is no longer enjoyable. A "null" space could be available, and, if you are a purist (or masochist, your call!) you would not be required to use it. Seems like it is not too much to ask for the devs to have a game that provide enjoyment instead of aggravation.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I guess my point is that this is a game.
A sliding puzzle can be a game.
If you want a "null zone" you can clear some provinces or spend some diamonds and get an expansion. Voila, instant 5x5 space.

BTW I had a quick peek at your city here http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/47fd93b1bbb843dab211d54d8877ac7a/
And just an FYI, you are playing the hardest way possible by having all 9 factory types instead of just the 3 that your city specializes in. If you switched your focus you would have 30-40% more room.

Last edited:

DeletedUser19723

I remember those sliding puzzles from when I was a kid. Didn't care for them then - still don't. Leaving some space to move works really well for me. The thing is, you have to commit to leaving space early on in building your city and stick to it. Personally, for me anyway, leaving space to move is way better than agonizing over what to sell because I can't move at all. And I hate to buy an expansion just so I have moving room. I play two Storm 8 games where expansions are not only costly, but they take forever to be ready to use - days, not hours. I guess they've taught me to plan ahead by always leaving some space free. Just one person's opinion :)

DeletedUser12171

Once you've reached guest races, the ideal time to rearrange is in between chapters. After you clear the previous chapter's buildings and before you build the next, you'll have a lot of space. But you'll need to plan ahead which is where Elven Architect comes in really handy

LayDHawk

This "sliding puzzle" is an intentional part of the game. Some like it and some don't.
View attachment 4730
Storage pod aka "null area"
LOL I remember puzzle.... move th
I guess my point is that this is a game. I like to play as a way to escape from the hassles of real life. Having to figure out the "sliding puzzle" is a major hassle. I am getting to the point where I will need to restructure, and, quite honestly, dread the idea of how much time it will take and how tedious it is. If there was a "null" space available (and not everyone would HAVE to use it), I would be able to quickly, easily, and, most importantly, enjoyably reorganize my city, and, since I am having more fun, be much more likely to cough up real money to buy more expansions. As it stands now, I will likely just leave everything at their current levels and just go stagnant, eventually I will simply stop playing because it is no longer enjoyable. A "null" space could be available, and, if you are a purist (or masochist, your call!) you would not be required to use it. Seems like it is not too much to ask for the devs to have a game that provide enjoyment instead of aggravation.

This game does provide a level of focus, strategic planning and massive levels of creativity. Escape, zone out or just kill time waiting for the next big change in your city, while chatting with people online doing the same thing. Perspective is key. Patience as well. not a strong suit for me but I've gotten better. :)

There are massive amounts of information here to help you along while you learn the game! Dont give up, and ask for help.

DeletedUser8946

Having to figure out the "sliding puzzle" is a major hassle
Alright, I don't do this for everybody, but I'm going to solve the 'sliding puzzle'. Right here and now. You ready?

DELETE. It's really that simple. In Soggy's sliding puzzle, you can't remove letters and put them back later. (Although that's what the null zone looked like) You can in this game. Just delete your excess buildings. You don't have some? Wrong. You do. There are NO buildings 'required' for this game, not counting things like Builder's Hut and Main Hall. Honestly, how many of those buildings do you NEED? 4 T1s of every kind? 2 T2s of every kind? Nah. If you've got a Trader, sell all Manufactories but two of each of your Boosted and you're good to go. Extreme? Sure. You don't have to sell so many. But it makes a FUN amount of space. My Sinya city has one Scrolls, Two Steel and an Elixir and it's getting along fine, just now starting Orcs. My Elcysandir city is even better then that. It has NO Manufactories but Silk, except for a couple T1 I have for Fellowship Adventures.
Currently undergoing reconstruction, but this is what it WILL look like.
http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/eb4682b695274c5797c31cf81050f711/

If there was a "null" space available (and not everyone would HAVE to use it)
Really? If it was just 'there' do you think ANYONE wouldn't use it? If the government handed everyone car keys and said, "We parked a fully fueled Ferrari in your driveway. You don't HAVE to use it to help you get to work, but it's there if you want it!" Anyone would take the car!(Unless you sensibly don't trust the government or are able to sell it) And why would the government hand over a Ferrari to every citizen of its country when they're doing alright on their own? Why would the developers spend loads of time coding when the game is playable without it? The difficulty of the game would drop drastically, as would the price of your average Ferrari.

I would be able to quickly, easily, and, most importantly, enjoyably reorganize my city, and, since I am having more fun, be much more likely to cough up real money to buy more expansions
Most people are not fueled by aesthetic beauty alone. I know, it saddens me too. Tons of people have bought Premium Expansions so they would have ROOM for adding more stuff and rearranging buildings they already have. It saddens me that aesthetic beauty wouldn't put people on a more pay-heavy rampage then functionality does, but that's the truth.

Last edited by a moderator: