• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Forum What world was that?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Problem: When you view the "What's new" list you see a lot of "fellowships seeking members" and "members seeking fellowships." If you open one of those and read the post you often have to scan the heading to find out what the world is or go through other means, because the poster seldom tells you. That's not surprising since the post started in the proper game world. In any case, if you are on one world and are scanning the many listings of either members seeking fellowships or fellowships seeking members, you have to open each one to find out what world they are on and generally speaking, it won't you yours.

Solutions: 2 possible.

Solution 1: Have the display of the new post include the game world. So instead of saying: "Fellowships seeking members" it would say: "Fellowships seeking members\Khelonar" for instance. That way if you aren't interested in finding a fellowship on Khelonar you wouldn't have to open it to see what world the fellowship is upon.

Solution 2: Filter out the "fellowships seeking members" and "members seeking fellowships" so they don't show up in "what's new."

Pros, Solution 1

Less time wasted finding out to what world the request applies.

Cons Solution 1

Changing the code to include display more.

Pros, Solution 2
Shorter and probably more useful "what's new" to the general forum population.

Cons Solution 2

Programming, of course
It may be that some players look here to find players for their fellowships and would not be able to do so but have to go to the game world area.

Discussion.

Of the two I like the first better because it makes it easier to spot potential members even if you aren't in the forum for that purpose at the moment. I suspect it wouldn't be that hard to do since the information is already linked to the post it would seem pretty easy to make it show one more level into the path to the post.

The second solution has some merit if, like myself, you are a frequent "I'm jumping into this discussion" poster. Screening out the things I probably won't be interested in (and which would probably have little appeal to the general forum population) might increase some participation in general discussion since more items of interest to a wider group would show up on the opening page of "Whats new."

That's my take on the matter, anyway. What's your?

AJ

DeletedUser26692

Hey! I didn't say that.

I think forum changes are handled by volunteer mods, and don't detract from programming/development time, so I think if they are willing to make the changes it is no skin of players' knuckles.
Sorry I am still new to the fourms and I misunderstood.... Also I was not aware how the changes were made.

You know what they say..... Assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups,lol.

shimmerfly

I don't see the benefit when the Op could easily add the name of the world to the title of the post.
I may be missing something?
I never use "what's new" anyway so I really don't have a preference.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I don't see the benefit when the Op could easily add the name of the world to the title of the post.
I may be missing something?

When the OP is creating their post they are already in the area for that world and there is no need to mention what world they are on as the post is in that's game world. However, most posters don't know that their post will show up in a "What's New" list and thus, that mentioning the world is needed. You can either try to train every new poster to put the world in their original message or you can just make sure it's more prominent in the "What's New" listing.

If you don't use "What's New," fine. I think therefore, you could still oppose either solution but if, as Ashrem says, it's some volunteers who manage that, well, from my experience as a programmer, I can't imagine it taking a whole lot of time and effort since all you would be doing is displaying more information (information that is already right there anyway since it's automatically linked to the OP). OR, if the second option was taken, you would be adding one more filter to the list of what has become new to filter out anything from that area of the forum. Either seems to me to be fairly straight forward and easy to do. But of course, I could be wrong. That happened once, you know. It was back in 1993. You probably heard about it in the nightly news as it was/is such a rare event.... what?, you didn't hear about it?! LOL.

AJ

NightshadeCS

I have actually experienced this problem, even with watched threads where I get an email. Sometimes I rush to the message, and when you are reading it, nowhere can you see what subforum it was listed in, which would tell you the game world.

I think if the game world were listed in the subforum subforum title, it would easily correct this problem.

shimmerfly

If you don't use "What's New," fine. I think therefore, you could still oppose either solution
I'm neither for or against (or is it "nor"?) now I'm paranoid the spellcheckers will get me..... As if that helps.
I need to ponder this one and maybe hear from a mod.

It's *"nor"

Gath Of Baal

If you look right above the name of the thread right above the original post, there is a chain of forum categories and sub categories.

This thread for example: Forums > Feedback > Ideas and Suggestions

When someone posts looking for members or looking for fellowship as long as they posted in the right forum area it will read something like

Forum > Game Worlds > Khelonaar > Members seeking fellowship

;)

This is to tell which world someone is looking for when they do not specify in their post

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
If you look right above the name of the thread right above the original post, there is a chain of forum categories and sub categories.
Only AJ is talking about the "What's New" list, not browsing the forums.
Problem: When you view the "What's new" list you see a lot of "fellowships seeking members" and "members seeking fellowships." If you open one of those and read the post you often have to scan the heading to find out what the world is or go through other means, because the poster seldom tells you.
see: "The Badlands Looking for 1 Active Player" below
1599260195493.png

Gath Of Baal

Only AJ is talking about the "What's New" list, not browsing the forums.

see: "The Badlands Looking for 1 Active Player" below
View attachment 8347
\

Ah .. So he wants an easier way of seeing what world without having to enter the thread itself.. Gotcha.. Because when you enter the thread it tells you up top which world they are in..

Shouldn't be to hard to add the complete chain under the title instead of in the thread itself

Edit when i went to the new posts and clicked the badlands looking for active player it clearly says Forum > Game Worlds > Harandar > Fellowship Seeking Members in the new post menu

Alpha Lyrae

I support this as I use What's New often. What I find myself doing is going into each Game World thread and clicking "Mark Read" so that these don't show up in What's New. It's a pain. And while it's not that difficult to tell once you're in the thread, that's only true for the browser. On mobile it's worse. Pull up the thread "Spitfires is recruiting" on mobile and the only thread category given is "Fellowships seeking Members". I have to tap on that link to be taken back to the Fellowships Seeking Members thread where I can then see that it's a subthread of Felyndral.

I would love some sort of way to better identify these posts both in What's New and once you're in the thread on mobile.

Edit: Screenshot
Fellowships Seeking Members.jpg