• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The correct spelling of manufactUries

satchmo33

As I'm in a ranting mood just now, I'll go ahead with my Word Nazi contribution:

This game (and its players) consistently mis-spell manufacturies as "manufactOries". FactOries manufactUre goods. According to the most up to date Oxford English Dictionary.

So, watcher step, missys and masters! Or I'll rap yer knuckles good.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Both are correct.

spelling.png

Spell-checker says both are fine too

Iyapo1

Yeah, dont ever correct another person's pronunciation of Chai either....it just makes you look bad.

Gath Of Baal

Here is one for you that I happen to do all the time "Could care less" ah the fond correctional memories of that and the debate that saying sparked.. Priceless

mikeledo

Google says " that manufactory is a manufacturing process; a particular industry or part of an industry while manufactury is , a place where articles are manufactured. "

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Here is one for you that I happen to do all the time "Could care less" ah the fond correctional memories of that and the debate that saying sparked.. Priceless
Wait... you do that on purpose? Do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars, go straight to jail the 9th ring of hell. :mad::p

Nothing makes me cringe more than that one...other than when people use "cringe".

Gath Of Baal

Me and the Wife argue about the color Gray lol she spells it Grey and I spell it Gray

Also living down South Alot if people use the made up word Brung Like "I brung the potato chips to the party"

Alot is supposedably :pnot correct either since there is no alittle hehe

Yall, He supposedably brung alot of potatoe chips to the shindig

Veesviewpoint

...as in "in all actuallity"
makes a wreck of actual and reality....
I end up (in privacy) banging my head against the door every now and then...chuckles!

Veesviewpoint

no doubt...seems like it was showing up on "Dr. Phil" show for 20 plus years!
Everyone's an expert...just listen...they will tell you using one word 3 times in 2 sentences...chuckles!
Thanks, glad to know someone else out there has heard that "word"!

satchmo33

Soggy - you know that I believe you are the wizard of Elvenar.....but the OED is much more prestigious ( and correct) than Collins Dictionary or The Free Dictionary.

Aritra

Me and the Wife argue about the color Gray lol she spells it Grey and I spell it Gray
I think the difference is British English vs American English (and I'm confident someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I'm American, but I read A LOT when I was a kid and it influenced my writing and vocabulary. Because I reread Tolkien several times, I am inclined to forever spell it grey (vs gray). Also, I developed an affinity for "-our" vs "-or" (ex. favourite, colour, etc). I remember using the Brit spellings in seventh grade and arguing with my teacher every time she marked it incorrect. In the end, I complied just for assignments. Even today, my fingers often insert that "u" in there and I have to go back and edit the occurrences (depending on what purpose the writing has).